Dream

Ephemeral Bliss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"S*it!!! I'm late!!!" Yonghwa panicked inside the car.

"Yong, language. Mind your manners please? The kids can hear you." His cousin reprimanded him.

"I'm sorry noona, but crap! How long till we get there?!" He asked impatiently.

"If you tone down the whining then maybe we'll be there in ten." His elder cousin replied exasperatedly.

"Argh! Why isn't the damn traffic moving?! Fu*k!!!!" Yonghwa cursed.

"JUNG YONGHWA! LANGUAGE!" His noona yelled.

"Omma, what does mean?"

Yonghwa gaped in horror upon hearing his five year old nephew utter the profane word he unintentionally blurted out. He braved upon taking a peek at his noona's expression and to no one's surprise, his cousin was torn between shocked and furious.

"I'm so sorry noona, I didn't mean it. I apologize, I honestly do, but I'm running late so uh, I think I'll just get down from here and I'll see you in Busan, okay? Take care!" Yonghwa pleaded and hastily tried to get out of the vehicle. For the first time in two hours, he was thankful for the traffic jam.

He unlocked the door while scrambling to pick up his things that his nephew was toying with. Making sure the ring was still safely encased inside that precious velvet box, he snatched his jacket from the boy and pulled the hood over his head.

"Wait, Yong! It's raining heavily outside! Are you crazy?! You're going to get sick! You have a recording in three days! Ya!" His cousin scolded.

"I'll recover or I'll ask the recording to be rescheduled. I gotta go noona. Thanks for the ride!" Yonghwa rushed.

"Yonghwa, get back here!" His noona called out from the car.

"I can't. I'm late. Thanks noona! Say hi to hyung for me!" Yonghwa waved while he dashed his way towards the park.

He was literally out of breath, drenched and cold because of the rain, and he felt like his legs were about to give way. Thankfully, the downpour ceased but unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that he's almost two and a half hours delayed. He scanned the area frivolously and felt his heart sank when he saw no signs of her.

"I'm too late." He said in defeat.

"Yep you got that right. As if letting me wait two years wasn't enough, you add in an extra couple of hours. Two and a half to be exact. Oh and we haven't counted the years prior to your enlistment." A gentle female voice called out.

He turned his head around and got on his feet. He blinked several times just to make sure she's really standing right in front of him.

"She's even more beautiful than I remember." He thought. Immediately snapping out of it, he kept fidgeting while trying to think of something to say.

"I uh..I can e-explain..."

He was still halfway through coming up with a much more plausible excuse because, really. How can he tell her that he spent a few hours managing diarrhea because he was too nervous & excited to possibly see her again? Not a cool way to reintroduce himself back to her life, right?

"Oh don't bother. It's okay. Totally get it. I understand." She tried to be cool about it.

"No I insist; to explain I mean. I, uh..." He panicked.

"I said it's okay. I get it. Forgetfulness. Signs of aging? Yong Ahjussi." She joked.

"Huh. So that's how it is now?" He chuckled.

They spent the next few minutes just staring at each other longingly.

"Uh.." He started.

"How are you/How have you been?" They chorused.

"You first/ladies first." They said at the same time.

"Okay/Yeah sure." Third time's a charm.

They laughed awkwardly and felt their faces burning.

"So...we're back, huh?" He said in a low voice.

"Huh?" She asked nervously.

"To this. The awkwardness..."

"Ah, ne." She replied shyly, mentally scolding herself for her lack of enthusiasm.

"De ja vu?" He kidded.

"Ne." She quickly replied, still refusing to meet his eyes.

"Ah jinjja how do you expect me to respond to anything when all you say is, "ne?" So, what's the difference between "love" and "like?"" Yonghwa joked around.

This helped break the ice because Seohyun finally reached out to playfully punch his shoulder.

"Choding." She muttered.

"Now we're talking." He chuckled again.

"Are we?" Seohyun raised an eyebrow and asked challengingly.

"Oh, weren't we?" He challenged her back and wiggled his brows.

"Of course we are." She finally smiled, feeling more relaxed. Her gaze and tone changed when she spoke again.

"Welcome back, Yong."

He felt his heart skip a beat seeing that look on her face and could barely keep his eyes from watering.

"It's been too long. We've waited too long. I have waited too long. I missed you, Hy~un." He almost whispered in response.

She just looked at him intently, perhaps torn between what to do or what to say. Fearing the awkwardness would make a triumphant return, he broke the ice once more with his lame jokes.

"Ya. Aren't you going to say it back? C'mon. I know you missed me too."

"Whatever." She snorted.

"Well?" He insisted.

"I don't want to lie." She teased.

"You wouldn't be. We both know it's the truth. Admit it or not, you know I'm right." He said proudly.

"Then I should probably get going. See ya!" Seohyun tried to run but he caught her just in time. The moment his arms wrapped around her, she melted right on the spot. She tried to wriggle free and reluctantly, Yonghwa let her go. Not completely though as he still held her hand tightly.

"So..." He started.

"So..." She repeated.

"Aigoo we're awkward again!" He laughed.

"I guess being "awkward" is the Yongseo Couple's middle name. Next to Goguma." She laughed her heart out before suddenly feeling like she wanted the earth to swallow her whole upon the realization of what she just blurted out.

"Huh. So we're a "couple" now?" He .

She tried to make a run for it again but obviously failed.

"We can run around this place for hours but there won't be a corner here where you can hide all that "feels" you have for me." He joked.

"Alright, so what now?" She sna

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter