Down with Fever: Towels, Dried Mangos, and Soup

Picturesque
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Author's Current Condition]

Excited! Tomorrow's GOT7's second anniversary! And I'm having a weekend shift from 7AM to 7PM tomorrow. But that's okay. I'll manage. Cries internally.

[Author's Note]

Hi! So, yeah, the obvious chapter is finally out. This will revolve around JaeBum taking care of JinYoung. Yeah, I hope it's not too bland. Forgive my lack of creativity.

 

"Why," JaeBum grunted, "is he," he gasped for air, "so heavy!" JaeBum panted as he brought, dragged, JinYoung's unconscious body to the living room by pulling at his arms, exhaling all of the remaining air once he dropped the weight on the floor.

JaeBum let go of his hands and looked around the place. There weren't many furnitures inside. Typical for someone who lives alone, he thought. What he saw was a set of table and sofa, a most likely empty buffet, and a flat screen TV that still had its plastic wrap attached on the screen. The only decorations were a small vase of flowers on the living room table and one huge photograph of what seemed to be JinYoung's family from years back. JinYoung looked even more like a nerd with chubbier cheeks.

He scanned the sides of the room and spotted two doors, an access to what seemed to be a kitchen, and a stair to his left. So he decided to check on both doors, assuming one of the room was JinYoung's.

"Let's see where your room is, nerdy," JaeBum muttered to himself.

He opened the door to the room closest to them and found that it was an empty bedroom, nothing inside except for a queen size bed, and a cupboard. So, nope, it wasn't JinYoung's. He proceeded to the next room a bit far to the left and thank heaven he saw JinYoung's photograph on the wall. He quickly went back to JinYoung and dragged him again. He pulled the body slowly to the bed, tossing the legs unto the bed.

"Why do I even do this?" JaeBum said annoyed.

The boy before him was chattering his teeth, curled up to the side of the bed, shivering, despite the warm temperature in the room. Crap. JaeBum quickly covered JinYoung's body with the duvet. Then he placed the back of his hand on JinYoung's forehead.

"Holy , that's burning hot!"

“Okay, JaeBum, calm down. You need to calm down,” JaeBum said that, but he was practically pacing around the room, biting his nails. A habit he had when he panics. Then he stopped and took a deep breath in. Exhaling it slowly, and suddenly he came up with something.

“Jackson. I need to call Jackson.”

He quickly fished out his phone from his pocket, dialing the only person he could think of right now.

"Jackson?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Jin-" JaeBum stopped himself before spitting out JinYoung's name.

'What was I even thinking about calling Jackson? If he knew I'm at JinYoung's house he'll probably tell the whole school before tomorrow comes.'

"Err, How do you treat someone with a fever?" JaeBum asked hesitantly.

"Why so random? And I'm not a doctor, how would I know that?" Jackson answered from the other line.

“But you have experienced fever before right?” JaeBum asked raising his voice a little.

“Everyone does, JaeBum. Everyone. But that doesn’t mean I know how to treat one. I mean, do you?” Jackson chuckled.

“Who took care of you when you’re having a fever?”

“Uh, my mother?” Jackson answered not so sure.

"Then go ask your mom!" JaeBum yelled, making JinYoung peeked from the duvet, but his lids were too heavy to actually opened up, so he quickly dozed-off again.

"Okay, okay! Stop yelling! Jeez, what's with you?" Jackson said before the being silent for a while.

"Mommy,” JaeBum cringed when he heard Jackson’s Chinese accent when he called to his mother.

“Mommy?! How do you treat someone with fever?" He heard Jackson's faint voice from the phone.

"Where do you put those?" Jackson asked again to his mom.

"Soup? What kind of soup? Oh, okay," Jackson said, his voice getting clearer.

"Hey, so you need to compress his head, neck, and armpits with cool wet towel. That's the quickest way to bring the fever down," Jackson told.

"Armpit? Why would you put a cold towel there?" JaeBum asked making weird faces Jackson wouldn't possibly see from over the phone.

"Dude, my mom actually said that you should also compress it IN BETWEEN THE THIGHS. I mean, the towels will wet your balls and stuff and it would be extra uncomfy. That's just weird, right?" Jackson said, disgust was on his tone.

"Eck," JaeBum gagged.

"Are you sure your mom said that?" JaeBum asked with a flat tone.

"Yup, but even I think that's not right. It’s probably some old Chinese Medicine she learned from my grandpa. Don’t buy everything she said," Jackson muttered.

"Alright, anything else?" JaeBum asked since he heard Jackson said something about soup earlier.

"Oh, yes, my mom said plain porridge and some warm soup would help," Jackson said.

There's a couple second of silence before JaeBum asked "What kind of soup?"

"Uh, chicken? Seafood? Anything? Who's sick anyway? Ask what the patient's preference is," Jackson mumbled.

JaeBum muttered to himself, "Great, how am I going to find a warm stew this late at night."

"JaeBum? Seriously, who's sick? You said your parents are away, right? Are you sick?" Worried filled Jackson's voice.

"Uh, no, of course not. It's uh, my neighbor asked me, um, her son was having a fever, so, yeah, that's it," JaeBum lied.

"Huh? Neighbor? What neighbor? You barely know anyone living around your house. Are you hiding something from me?" Jackson asked suspiciously.

"No, I'm not! And I do know my neighbors! Stop being ridiculous, Jackson!" JaeBum blurted before hanging up.

JaeBum knew Jackson won't let him off easy when they met tomorrow, but he's got to worry about it tomorrow. Right then, he had this sick nerd who's burning with fever to worry about. And he had no idea how to find any towel in this house or where to find restaurant that sells both soup and porridge nearby.

JaeBum examined the room. All he could see was piles of books neatly organized on a book shelf occupying the whole wall. Seriously, who needs this amount of books in his life? One thing JaeBum figured from the boy was the fact that this JinYoung was a confirmed nerd who probably enjoyed his life being a bookworm. And he probably aced all of his subjects and would probably be every teacher’s favorite. And to top it all, he’s the President of the Student Council. But to be honest, JinYoung was quite bold for a nerd. He’s got the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter