Chapter 9

Our Love Story

Seo Jin's POV

My phone rang, and I ran to it. It was a call from my cousin, Hana. She's someone I treat like a sister. Sometimes I wonder if she's my sister. I picked up the call.

"Yah, I need to tell you something!!!" She started.

"Go ahead, I'm listening," I told her.

"I went for a blind date today!" She told me.

"Blind date? With who? Is he nice?" I asked.

"He's from your school!" She exclaimed.

That's the thing about the rich people. You go for a blind date before you even get into college. You get engaged at a young age and you get married after completing your studies. And it's all for our families' sake. It's to strengthen ties between companies and all.

"Nugu?" I asked, sighing.

"Guess!" She told me.

"There's many rich people from my school," I sighed again.

"You don't seem interested," Hana said.

"Ani... It's just that, don't you find this stupid? Do you even like this guy? Do you even love him? Even if you do, does he feel the same way? Do you think you two will last? Love isn't as simple as you think," I said.

"Yah..." Hana sounded upset.

"Okay, tell me who this guy is," I pretended to be interested.

"Jeon Jungkook!" She exclaimed.

Jeon. Jung. Kook. What?!

"Jeon Jungkook? The tall one?" I asked.

"There's only one Jeon Jungkook in your school, Seo Jin ah," She told me.

"Heol..." I gasped.

"Ne? Wae?" Hana asked.

"Can... Can I call you back later?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure," She said and hung up the phone.

I called Jungkook immediately.

"Yah, how do you even know my cousin?" I asked.

"You heard about it, huh?" He sounded calm.

"Why are you so calm?" I asked.

"I was shocked when I found out she was your cousin," He told me.

"Then?" I questioned.

"Then what? I'm not interested in any other girls now," He told me.

That's when I recalled that there was a girl he liked already.

"Yea, I know..." I answered.

"How are you today?" He changed the topic.

"I'm okay. Thanks for inviting me over just now... It was the only chance I have to see him..." I spoke softly.

"I was just helping," He said.

"Gomawo," I thanked him, smiling.

"I need to go," Jungkook said.

"Talk soon," I said.

And Jungkook hung up the phone.

Jungkook's POV

If the only way I could get close to Seo Jin was to go on dates with her cousin, then why not? The car pulled over, I stepped out and went back into the house. I just got into the house when my phone ring. It was a call from Seo Jin. I felt my heart racing.

"Yah, how do you even know my cousin?" She asked the moment I picked up the call.

"You heard about it, huh?" I asked calmly. I expected this.

"Why are you so calm?" She asked.

"I was shocked when I found out she was your cousin," I said.

"Then?" She asked.

"Then what? I'm not interested in any other girls now," I told her.

"Yea, I know..." She answered.

"How are you today?" I asked.

"I'm okay. Thanks for inviting me over just now... It was the only chance I have to see him..." Her voice sounded soft.

"I was just helping," I said.

"Gomawo," She thanked me.

My heart ached. She sounded like she was smiling.

"I need to go," I told her.

"Talk soon," Was all she said before I hung up the phone.

I sighed and closed my bedroom door. I bathed and changed into a tee shirt and a three-quarter pants. I dried my hair and looked into the mirror.

"Maybe she doesn't like you because you aren't good-looking," I told myself.

I sighed again. I wanted to talk to Jimin Hyung about this but I couldn't. Not when it's about his ex-girlfriend. I lied on the bed and closed my eyes. I recalled the memories I had with Seo Jin. Small, and insignificant to her, but big and significant to me. I remember every time spent with her. From the first time we met, to the first time we smiled at each other, to the first time we talked to each other in the hallway, to the first meal I had with her, to now. I remember everything. It's either a vague memory or a clear one. Either way, I remember it all. I remember how we started talking too. All these memories are what I play in my head every night before going to sleep. And I would end up smiling like a fool, or laughing like an idiot, or crying like a baby. But it will be worth it. I tell myself that every single day.

I picked up the phone and called Taehyung Hyung.

"Ne, Jungkook ah," He picked up the call pretty quickly.

"Hyung, I... I need someone to talk to..." I said.

Apart from Jimin Hyung, Taehyung Hyung was the next person I'm closest to.

"About? Seo Jin?" He asked.

I froze. How... How did he know...?

"How...?" I asked.

"The way you looked at her this morning," Taehyung Hyung said.

"I... I don't know where to start..." I sighed.

"Anything that comes to your mind. Just say whatever you want, Hyung will be listening," He said.

"I like to see her happy..." I started.

"Why?" He asked.

"It's important that she's happy," I said.

"Even if you aren't the one making her happy?" He asked.

I paused and thought about it.

"Ne, even if I'm not the one who's making her happy," I said.

"You got to start thinking about yourself, Jungkook ah. Don't always change yourself to suit Jimin or Seo Jin or me or anyone," Taehyung Hyung said.

"But if you truly love someone, you will wish that person all the best, and you will just stand aside, far away, and just love that person from there," I said.

"You know what's love?" Taehyung Hyung asked me.

"I do," I answered.

"Love isn't about hearts racing, it isn't about hearts thumping. It isn't about the face turning red, neither is it about texting and/or calling each other 24/7. Love is about accepting each other for who they are, it is about loving each other unconditionally. Love is also about trusting the other party so much that you place your entire heart in their hands, trusting that they won't break it, or hurt it. Love is about forgiving each other even when it's hard to, because you don't want to lose them. Love is also about understanding each other, and being there for them all the time," He said.

I stopped talking and thought through what Taehyung Hyung just said.

"Yeah, I do understand what love is," I answered.

"But you know she won't come to you right?" He told me.

"I know, but maybe if I wait long enough, she will notice me and she will come to me," I told him.

"Ani, don't think that way, Jungkook ah. You will only get hurt. Since it's a one-sided thing, I advice you to not put too much hope in it," He said.

"We are young. We still have time to make stupid and reckless decisions, we still can make stupid and reckless decisions," I claimed.

"Jungkook ah, you will be turning twenty in four years. How is that enough time to make stupid and reckless decisions? Don't waste your youth away on a girl who will just break your heart. You think she's worth it? What about that girl who is The One? You haven't even met her yet? She's still searching for you too. And, how is she going to feel if she knows that her soulmate has been hurting for so long because of a girl who isn't even meant to be with him? What is she going to say?" Taehyung Hyung's voice was raising.

"I still have four years," I said.

"Four years isn't a lot of time. It's going to just go past in a blink of an eye," Taehyung Hyung told me.

"So you think I should let her go?" I asked.

"Yeah, you should. And when you do, wish her well. Always wish people well. Even when letting them go. Letting go never means loving less. It just means you have chosen to love them from afar," He said.

"I miss her..." I said softly.

"Jimin misses her more. He is hurting more. But he's acting like it doesn't bother him. Jungkook ah, all you need is strength. If he can do it, so can you. I believe in you," He encouraged.

"I need time..." I told him.

"Everyone needs time," He sighed.

"Ne?" I asked.

"Jimin needs time. So do you. And Seo Jin too," He said.

I nodded my head, as if Taehyung Hyung was speaking to me face-to-face.

"Yah, gwaenchana?" He asked.

I must have stayed silent for too long.

"Ne, I'm fine," I told him.

"Jungkook ah, just give yourself some time, and be strong. I'll be here for you, and I'll go through this long and tiring journey with you, okay? Himnae!" He said.

"Gomawo, Hyung," I felt myself smiling a little.

Our conversation ended there.

 

 

 

Jimin's POV

I was at Taehyung's house when his phone rang. He told me to pass him the phone. I ran over to his desk and took the phone, then passed it to him. I saw that it was a call from Jungkook.

"It's Jungkook," I told him as I handed the phone over.

"Jungkook?" He took the phone, stood up and left the room.

After quite some time, Taehyung came back.

"What did he say?" I asked.

"Nothing much, he's just asking when we can go over to practice again," Taehyung told me.

"I'm free everyday," I said.

"Do you still love Seo Jin?" Taehyung asked all of a sudden.

"I don't know... I don't feel as excited as usual when I see her now... I feel... Calm... It's as if my feelings have faded. I feel so calm now. No agitation, no nothing. I'm not sure myself too..." I admitted.

"Calm? Really?" Taehyung opened his eyes wider.

I nodded my head.

"That's not exactly a bad thing, Jimin ah," He smiled at me.

"Wae?" I asked.

"Ani, when you meet the right one, you will feel calm," He said.

"I still don't think she's the one. She's a big part of my life, she gave me the best memories so far, she doesn't hurt me like the other girls, but somehow, I feel she isn't the one. If she's the one, things will fall into place one day, and maybe we'll meet again, but as adults, and maybe we will fall in love and start all over again," I said.

"If that happens, you will love her more, and so will she," He patted me on the back.

"What makes you so sure she's the one?" I asked.

"Just... Just that feeling," He smiled at me.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Do you miss her?" Taehyung asked.

"I do... But... But I'm the one who asked for this," I told him.

"Do you want her back?" He asked.

"Is this a q&a session?" I asked him back.

"Do you want her back, Jimin ah?" He asked.

"I do," I admitted.

"Then why did you leave her in the first place?" He asked.

"She was doing badly in her studies. She studies hard, but not hard enough. And because of me, because of our relationship, she has been neglecting her friends who always were there for her. And for me, I have been neglecting my family, friends and studies for her. And I feel it's stupid. We are just immature teens who haven't even reached twenty. What do we know about love? Ask me what's the definition of love in the past, and I will tell you "Seo Jin". But ask me what's the definition now and I will tell you I don't know. She will deny it, if I told her that she has been neglecting those stuff. But I know her better than many people. I want her back, and I miss her. But this is for our future," I said.

"Then tell me, what made you say that Seo Jin was the definition of love?" He asked.

"I was just blinded. We both were just blinded," I said.

"Blinded... Hmm... You said you know her better than many. How? In what way? What do you know about her?" Taehyung continued to ask.

"Yes, blinded. Not everyone knows that she sings in the bathroom. Not everyone knows that she reads at least five chapters from a storybook at night while lying down on her bed with only the table light on, before going to bed. Not everyone knows that she is a soft person on the inside. You know, every morning, she wakes up at 5:30am. She will go back to sleep for five minutes, then wake up at 5:35am. And she will wipe off the lip moisturizer using a piece of tissue folded into half. She will open the toilet door, and throw that piece of tissue, now crushed into a ball, in the toilet bowl. She will flush it first before doing her business. And while she's doing her business, she will close her eyes and tell herself to come home in the afternoon after school to sleep. Then she will brush her teeth. While brushing her teeth, she will look at herself in the mirror and tell herself, in her head, to be strong and to enjoy school. Then she will tie her hair, in the toilet. She will need fifteen minutes to tie her hair. Then she will come out of the toilet, and take her uniform, then go back into the toilet to change. After changing, she will go to the dining table to have her breakfast. It's always chocolate milk for her. While having her breakfast, she will turn on the wifi on her phone, but still leave it on airplane mode. She will check her messages first, then go into social media. After that, she will play a game which is similar to tetris, in order to get her brain working. After she's done with her breakfast, she will wear her shoe and wait for her parents and brother to get ready. When everyone is ready, they leave home together. And she will come to school to meet me. On the fourth floor. She's scared of the dark, and the fourth floor is usually dark. She's pretty paranoid too. She would say someone is coming, just by hearing the softest sound. But she's always wrong. We would go to class, and she will always have problem concentrating because I'm sitting next to her. But nevertheless, she tried her best. During recess, she will buy a packet of green tea and a plate of rice. She will sit with her close friends, who are from the same class, all five of them. They will gossip and laugh and talk and badmouth while eating. She eats really slowly. So her friends always end up waiting for her. After that, they will go back up to class, place their wallets in the bags, and head to the toilet. They leave the class in between every subject, every single day, without fail. For lunch, she would buy a packet of peach tea and a bowl of noodles. Same thing, she will eat with her friends. After lunch, the same thing happens. Wallet, and toilet. When class ends, she will always come to me for a hug. She always asks for a hug before any tests or exams, and the first thing in the morning, as well as after the last lesson of the day. Then, she will walk home, with earpiece in her ears. She will want to sing and jam along to the song, but she can't because she's in public. She plays the piano and she is learning how to play the guitar. She hates to study, but does it anyway. And she loves to write. She thinks she isn't pretty, but she is. She thinks she isn't cute, but she is. She doesn't think she's smart, but she actually is... And she will go home, charge her phone first, then place her bags down. Then she goes to the toilet to bathe. And she will start singing. Then she will go to her room and do whatever she wants to do or has to do, after bathing. She will eat dinner at 6:30pm. Then she will go back to her room. She sleeps at around 10pm or 11pm. But before she sleep, she will lie on her bed, look up at the soft toys and talk to them. She will tell them how her day was like. And sometimes, she would stand up and look out of the window. She would look at the sky, trying to see if there are any stars for her to make a wish upon. And she will always wish that she will last long with me and that I'll be healthy and happy forever and ever and ever. And while lying on her bed, she will read a book. Five chapters is a must. At that point of time, the whole room is dark, and only the table light is on. She will stop reading after finishing five chapters, then take out her specs and sleep. That's Seo Jin..." I told Taehyung, smiling with tears in my eyes.

Taehyung was speechless. He just stared at me.

"You know, I always hoped that I'm in every of her wish... I didn't know until I found her diary. I read it. She wrote it as if she was writing letters to me. That was what made me love her more, finding out more about her..." I said.

Taehyung sighed and gave me a hug.

"Gwaenchana..." He said and pat my back gently.

I started crying.

"Things will fall into place for you two. You will both meet again, but as adults. And you will start all over again. Fall in love all over again. And this time, you both will last a lifetime..." Taehyung smiled at me.

I wiped away my tears and smiled back at him. Maybe, maybe one day, we will be meant for each other.