A Game Gone Wrong

A Beautiful Mess

I batted my eyes to adjust my focus. Okay… recap…

Why do I have a headache? (It’s called a hangover, Sunmi. Get used to it.) How did I get here? (I have no idea. Ask God.) Are those my clothes on the floor? (What are those doing there?!?!) Why am I ? (Ohmygod?! Why am I ?!)

I sat up in bed grabbing the sheets closer to my body. I cursed in my head as I closed my eyes. Strings and strings of curses were released by the tiny voice in my head. I concentrated hard enough to get flashbacks of a guy undressing me. I could only see his eyes though… damn… it felt so real! I had to open my eyes since the flashes were drilling the sides of my forehead. The first thing I saw was Yoochun leaning on my doorway with a mug at hand. “Y-Yoochun oppa.” I stuttered, gathering the sheets around me. He can’t find out I was wearing nothing underneath. Yoochun took a sip from his mug. “Yunho hyung brought you here. So chill.” I smiled innocently at him. Yunho? As in Jung Yunho? Yunho the , that Yunho? Why Yunho?

“What the hell?” Yoochun picked something up from the floor. As he stood back up, he held something lacey and strappy.

Effing shizz.

Yoochun angled his head, staring at what just so happened to be my bra. I leaned forward to grab it from him, exposing my bare shoulders.

Major mistake…

“You’re ?! Why are you ?! How did you get ?! What happened?! What did Yunho hyung do to you?! What did he do to you?! Sunmi, what the hell did he do to you?!” He was yelling as he waved the bra around. “Oppa--” I tried to speak but then again I had no idea what to say. “Hold. Up.” Yoochun held his hand up to emphasize on what he had just said. “Is he in the shower? Oh hell, he’s in the shower!” he speed-walked to the bathroom door. Dear God… don’t put Yunho in there. No, God, NO. I was forced to get out of bed and follow him, making sure I wasn’t exposing anything that was not meant to be exposed. Yoochun opened the door and found no one. He swiped the shower curtains… still, no one. He bent down to check the cabinets under the sink: no one. He stood on the edge of the bathtub and peered out of the small vent: absolutely no one.

“He’s in the closet!!” Yoochun stormed out of the bathroom, making me chase him again. “He’s not there!” I shouted. “JUNG YUNHO! Where are you?!” he bellowed, completely ignoring me. Man… he takes over our mother for having such an irritating voice. He opened the closet door and found nothing but clothes. He lashed through what hanged on the rod above. Defeated, he closed the dresser and stared at me. “Where is he?” he stated slowly. I shook my head. “You don’t know?” I shook my head again. “Are you sure you don’t know?” I nodded piously. He let out a sigh and looked down at his nails… possibly for dramatic effect. Without warning he collapsed on the carpeted floor and crawled underneath the bed. “Oppa! What are you doing?!” I yelled for him to stop. “Still not here.” He declared as he wriggled to the other side. He stood and dusted himself off. “Sunmi,” he pointed at me. “Whatever this is, whatever is going on… I’m going to find out one way…” he lowered his head, casting a shadow over his eyes. Scary much? “Or the other.” He continued. He threw the bra back on the floor and walked to the door, slamming it behind him. “It’s like every morning she wears less and less.” I heard him say.

~*~*~

Two weeks.

Yunho hasn’t made an appearance or even bothered to call to tell us how he’s been. The Guys were starting to worry. But I, on the other hand, was having the time of my life.

Today would be the fourteenth day since we all last saw Jung Yunho. I had to talk the guys out of filing a missing person ad on the newspaper. I assured them he’d show up… I just didn’t know when.

The more the days passed, the less I began to care about ‘that night’. He was involved and that’s all I needed to know. I’ll talk to him when he shows up. But if he doesn’t, I really have nothing to lose. Whatever happened was behind me. Two weeks behind me.

Since Yunho wasn’t around, The Guys talked about him a lot. Yunho hyung, Yunho hyung, Yunho hyung. It was annoying but I learned a few things from their constant blabbering. He wasn’t just a co-owner of a club… he was also a professional photographer. Yoochun once got a promotion after a report, Jaejoong and Changmin both had projects that got exhibited at their university’s annual showcase and Junsu became a model. How? Because they had Yunho do it for them. Long story short, they all owed him something: a great big favor that ‘changed’ their lives.

Whatever.

Yunho probably wanted to look busy and feel as if his life is worth something. The way The Guys spoke of him made him seem too good to be true. He was, I quote, “like a brother” to them. They’d “do anything just to know he’s alright”. They “miss him”. Once again…

Whatever.

He’s still the narcissistic jerk I knew. He’s still the same I grew up knowing to be the only person who could make me cry so hard my eyes would be swollen for days. He was still Jung Yunho and nothing these guys can say can change that.

Don’t get it wrong. I don’t actually hate him to the core. It’s just that… I find him annoying. It’s like he has a personality disorder. He’s Mr. Good Guy then he’s Mr. Jerk-off. He’s Mr. Gentleman then he’s Mr. Road Rage. He’s like a woman on constant PMS.

But there were days his little mood swings would leave him for a while. Days like my last day in Korea before we had to move to the States. He was unusually kind to me that day. He even gave me this tiny blue box and asked me only to open it when I’ve arrived. What was inside? I never found out to this very day. Knowing Yunho all too well, a frog or a cockroach might come hopping out of it. I had to keep it closed so it would die. It’s still with me though. Just in case he looks for it.

Bottom line is I don’t hate Yunho and in fact I sort of appreciate him…

When he isn’t an , that is.

~*~*~

“Damn iiitttt.” Yoochun groaned as he lay lifelessly on the couch with his limbs dangling out of the cushions. “Whaaatt the heeellll.” He fanned himself, closing his eyes as he did. It was a scorching hot afternoon. Opening all the doors, windows and even the vents didn’t help. Closing them would make the temperature go ten degrees higher. I laid myself down on the opposite couch and ran my hands over my face. We must be in hell. The house was on central air but it broke down. Yoochun and I tried to fix it but couldn’t seem to work without emitting smoke. We were exhausted. Where the hell are those repairmen when you need them?!

“The couch… is vibrating.” Yoochun said with the remaining strength he had. I heard my faint ringtone. How did my phone get there? I rolled out of the couch and crawled to the opposite couch. “Where?” I asked him.

No answer.

“Yoochun oppa?” I peered over to look at him. Wow. He was asleep. I had to stick my hand under the cushions to feel for the phone. ‘Got it.’ I took my hand back now clutching on the device.

It was message from an unknown number…

"We need to talk. –Yunho"

"PS: Junsu will pick you up."

Yunho? What the hell? He disappears for two weeks and says we needed to talk. He’s got major issues to work on. I saved the number in my contacts and replied to the text…

"Where can I find you?"

I waited for his reply. What did we have to talk about? How did he get my number? Why Junsu? Why not Yoochun or Changmin? I could see why it wasn’t Jaejoong. Should I tell Yoochun that I was going to meet him? Was this really Yunho? Why do I have so many questions?

After a rough fifteen minutes of waiting, I started to think he wouldn’t respond. What kind of person would send such an unsubstantial— not to mention mysterious—message would do that? I was just about to give up until the phone rang.

"You’ll find out soon."

That’s it? One sentence? One fricking sentence? I wasted fifteen minutes of my life waiting for one sentence?? Then… my phone rang again.

"Don’t tell Yoochun."

Well that answers one question. But still… can he at least sound less like a kidnapper asking for ransom money and more like a gentleman? I came to Korea for an adventure… even though I’d be spending two months in a nostalgic house. Getting kidnapped was an adventure…

Wasn’t it?

~*~*~

I had to change into some decent clothes before I left. I went down the stairs as quietly as I could so as not to disturb the still sleeping Yoochun. I made a run for the door and out of the house I went.

Junsu was wearing a black button-down shirt with its sleeves rolled up. He really didn’t know how to dress according to the weather despite the fact that he was a model. Once he caught sight of me, he waved and wore an impromptu killer smile.

No wonder the guy was a model…

“Where are you taking me?” I asked him as I wore my seatbelt. “Uhh... somewhere.” Junsu replied as he started the ignition. “Seriously, Junsu. I feel like I’m being ambushed. Where. Are. We. Going.” I pressed. We drove away from the house. He exhaled roughly and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. “I can’t tell you.” He said. “Junsu…” I whined. “Ah! No! I won’t give in to your whining! I won’t tell you! La-la-la-la-la!” He yelled to drown my voice with his. I rolled my eyes at him as he continued to scream and squeal. He sounded like a dolphin gone wild. I slumped back on the seat and crossed my arms in front of me. Nothing and no one seems to be cooperating with me today.

The Universe is conspiring against me.

Well then… I’ll just have to wait and see. Adventure… think of adventure.

~*~*~

“Hi, Sunmi-sshi. I’m Kwon Jooeun.” A woman around Junsu’s age shook my hand. I stared at her bejeweled fingers with much curiosity. How did she know my name? “I’m Yunho-sshi’s partner. He said he’d be here soon.” She informed me. She finally let my hand go. Partner. The word sent currents zapping every part of my body. I wanted to laugh. Partner! Ha! She doesn’t work for Yunho… she works with him. Yunho is known for screwing with people’s minds. I wonder if she’s still sane.

She looked sane.

Jooeun had obviously dyed dark brown hair. She tied it in a high ponytail, no strand of hair was allowed to touch her delicate face. She had calm, soft features… it was almost angelic. Her shirt was almost fully ed, showing off her fair skin and pronounced collarbones. The black knee-length pencil skirt she was wearing hugged her curves from her narrow waist. She didn’t seem to wobble in her black high-heeled pumps as she walked us to a nearby table at the café.

Junsu and I followed her from behind. I could sense that Junsu was staring at her . I couldn’t blame him. The woman had an , for chrissake. “I’m sorry I had to steal Yunho-sshi away from you.” She looked over her shoulder to speak to us as she walked. Once we were finally seated, “We had to go to Japan for an emergency shoot.” She smiled.

Japan? That bastard disappears and goes to Japan?! Fricking Japan! He couldn’t spare a moment to tell The Guys to chill and not to worry!

“Yeah. He told me.” Junsu said with a smile.

What? He knew?! I shot my gaze at Junsu. “He called me the morning before he left.” He said as if he read my mind. What the hell?! He’s been lying to us for two weeks?! “There he is.” Jooeun smiled, her gaze fixed at a far distance over our heads. Junsu and I turned around.

Jung Yunho.

He looked different. His once dark brown hair was now dyed at a lighter shade and was a tad shorter. His skin was tanned darker too. It wasn’t just the hair or his skin…

He was smiling.

He looked happy. Too happy. He caught sight of us and walked quickly to our table. Jooeun stood and we followed.

Yunho hugged her, closing his arms around her chest. He kissed the crown of her head and pulled away to smile at her. Jooeun let out a small laugh and held his hand. Yunho couldn’t take his eyes off her...

We sat back down. It was only at that moment did Yunho bother to look at me or Junsu. “Hey.” He greeted, still wearing a smile. I wanted to kick him from under the seat. “Sorry about suddenly disappearing. I was very busy.” He looked at Jooeun.

Screw you, Yunho.

“Oppa~” her voice dragged as she called him. The two shared a laugh. This was too sickeningly sweet for me. “Yah, Sunmi. Are you okay?” Junsu asked me. I gasped for air and blinked my eyes as if I was waking up from a nightmare. “You look pale. What’s wrong?” he continued. He took the back of his hand to my forehead. “You’re not running a fever are you?” Jooeun asked from in front of us. “No… no. I’m fine.” I lied and faked a smile.

I had no idea what was going on. I couldn’t understand. How am I supposed to describe how I feel when I don’t know what I was feeling? The more Jooeun and Yunho laughed and exchanged glances the queasier I got. Maybe it was because of their sweetness? Maybe it was because of the heat? But I could handle any kind of public display of affection. And the café was air-conditioned.

Yunho, Junsu and Jooeun talked while I sat there quietly, sipped from my mug of coffee and stared out of the glass walls of the café. I would occasionally join in when Jooeun would ask me a question. Yunho and Junsu answered most of them for me anyway. Though what they would say is a complete lie, I didn’t bother to clarify.

I couldn’t tell how long we’ve been there. It could have been hours. The sun was getting dim and the nearby club just its lights. Throughout the day, my phone rang like mad. I was sure it was just Yoochun being all big brother-y and panicking like a mad woman. Even when I excused myself to go to the bathroom, I didn’t bother to check.

“Shoot. It’s seven.” Yunho said staring at his watch in utter disbelief. “Oh. You’d better get going.” Jooeun looked at her watch too. “You guys wanna come?” Yunho looked at me and Junsu. “Yoochun’s probably worried. I should head home.” I answered. I admit I was tempted to join. But Yoochun probably bought beers to soothe him from his panic attacks due to my sudden disappearance. I could just drink alone… I wanted to be alone. “I’ll come to the club with you.” Junsu said with much enthusiasm. “Alright. Jooeun-ah, you don’t mind driving Sunmi back to her house, do you?” Yunho and Junsu stood to leave. “No, not at all, Yunho-sshi.” Jooeun smiled.

Great… now Miss Perfect is going to drive me home.

“Bye.” Yunho bid her, kissing her forehead. If I am not mistaken, they denied having a relationship. Throughout their chat, I kept a good ear out for that. ‘We’re not dating’ my . All their actions denied that. If they’re going to lie, they should at least make it sound (and look!) convincing!

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She replied. Yunho smiled in reply to her. Jooeun’s eyes followed Yunho until he and Junsu have exited the café. The two guys got into their respective cars. Junsu waved at us from outside then drove off with Yunho a few meters ahead already.

Jooeun sighed and fixed her gaze at me. “Are you sure you and Yunho aren’t dating?” I slipped. Goddamit I slipped. She smiled innocently. “He’s just… affectionate. Nothing’s going on between us.” She laughed. What a thickhead! Take the hint! Yunho likes you! I nodded, keeping my thoughts to myself. “Sunmi…” she called. “I think it’s best if you tell everyone that Yunho’s back. It will get them to worry less.”

~*~*~

“WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!?!” Yoochun yelled as soon as I got in the house. He ran to corner me. “I’m sorr--” I was cut short. “It’s not gonna cut it, Sunmi! I almost had a heart attack! Where have you been?!?” Yoochun grabbed my shoulders, shaking me. “I was with Yunho!” I squirmed out of his grip. I felt him grow weak upon the mention of Yunho’s name. “Yunho hyung? You were with Yunho hyung?” he fixed his gaze at me. “I wasn’t alone with him. I was with Junsu--” “JUNSU?!” Now he’s mad.

“Yoochun. Calm down.”

Jaejoong’s voice came from a distance. “Jaejoong oppa.” His name slipped from my mouth. “We’re you really with Yunho?” He asked me. He leaned on the frame of the archway to the kitchen. I nodded. He smirked and stood up straight to walk to me. “Did he say where he’s been?” he asked. “He went to Japan for a shoot…” I couldn’t tell them that Junsu knew all along. “Japan?! JAPAN?!” my brother yelled. Jaejoong raised his hand to silence Yoochun. “Is he at the club right now?” Jaejoong neared me making me step back every time he steps forward. “Y-yes.” I stuttered. “Come on, Yoochun. We’re going to Pilot.” He took the doorknob. “Hyung!” Yoochun called for Jaejoong to wait. “Stay here, Sunmi.” Yoochun kissed my forehead and left with Jaejoong.

Alone at last. I went straight to the kitchen and raided the fridge for any alcoholic drink available.

“Just my luck…” I muttered. All we had was milk, juice and sparkling water. I closed the fridge door, made my way to my room and took a bubble bath. I deserved it. It’s been a long and hot day. I closed my eyes to relax. Flashes of Yunho crossed the dark space like shooting stars. The images became closer…

And closer…

And closer…

Until his eyes were all I could see.

“Good night, Sunmi.”

That voice… <!--Chapter end-->