Korea

A Beautiful Mess

 

The Incheon Airport ceiling was all I could see. I’ve been waiting for a good half-hour now. All my blood must’ve gone into my brain. My legs were starting to feel numb because I had them stretched out with my feet on top of my trolley bag. And my arms were getting pins and needles for dangling too long on the bench’s backrest as I waited for my brother to come back. ‘Where is he?’ I asked myself.
“SUNMI!”
 
I immediately shot my head up. I knew it. That’s where all my blood went. The blurry image in front of me came closer. I had to blink a few times to get my focus back. There he was… Park Yoochun, my ‘oppa’ [(if the speaker is female) older brother]. I hated calling him that. I preferred Micky (his English name) but since we’re in Korea, I have to refer to him as Yoochun oppa. He said it was ‘for respectfulness’ sake’. Right… it still sounded like a panda bear’s name to me.
 
“Would you sit down properly? People are looking at you.” he told me. I groggily complied by taking my feet off the bag and bringing my arms to my sides. He held a Starbucks cup in front of my face.
 
“Here.” He said as he drank from his own.
 
“Why?” I said, taking the cup from him.
 
“Your stomach will digest itself if you don’t fill it up with something.” He took a seat next to me.
 
“Oppa, all we did in the plane was eat, sleep, watch and sit.” I reminded him as I forced myself to drink the coffee.
 
“I don’t care. If we go back home with you looking like a ruler, Appa would kill me.” he sounded so concerned and annoying at the same time. I’m eighteen now… the last thing I need is a baby-sitter. Yoochun could get overly worrisome at times. Maybe it’s a big brother thing. I don’t really want to think about it. It was 1 in the afternoon at local time: the same time and date we left America. (Screw the International Date Line!) I didn’t want to think of anything at the moment.
 
“So… are you nervous?” Yoochun asked as he took a sip of his coffee. “About what?” I asked back.
“Meeting them.”
“Meeting who?”
“The Guys…”
 
‘The Guys’ was his term for his lifelong friends: Kim Jaejoong, Kim Junsu, Shim Changmin and Jung Yunho. I haven’t seen them since my last visit to Korea four years ago. “Not at all.” I answered Yoochun. He gave me a look that said he didn’t believe me.
 
“Should I be nervous?” I eyed him. He sighed. This meant one thing: he was dead serious. “I trust them. Junsu’s my best friend.” I said to assure him. His fatherly side was acting up. I can tell from how he’s looking at me. He suddenly pounced on me, trapping me in those lanky arms of his. “If anything happens to you, I’ll never forgive myself. Appa [Father] and Umma [Mother] said you are my responsibility… I’d die before any of The Guys even think of dating you.” He vowed. He’s such a sap. As if ‘The Guys’ would even think of dating their friend’s kid sister. I pushed him gently and smiled at him. “I’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry.” I told him. Note: I am humoring a grown man. Even though what he said was such a cliché, I have to admit it was pretty nice. Wow… he actually cares. It was a little too much, but still…
Yoochun ah!”
 
A deep husky voice called from nearby. Yoochun and I whipped around. A tall, dark and possibly handsome guy waved at us. He was wearing a plain white shirt and jeans. His dark shades made it difficult for me to tell who he was. Beside him was none other than… “Junsu!” I squealed as I ran into Kim Junsu’s arms. Junsu laughed slightly. “Wow. You’ve grown.” He said into my ear. He broke away from our embrace to get a good look at me. He went behind me and held my shoulders. “Yoochun.” He called. The latter turned to him after sharing a hug with Mr. Shades Guy. “This?” Junsu gestured theatrically on my face and torso. “Four years, Yoochun! You’ve been hiding our Sunmi for too long!” he stomped his foot in demand. I couldn’t help but chuckle. Junsu never fails to make me laugh whether intentionally or unintentionally. He has always been the one I could get along with the most out of ‘The Guys’. Maybe it was because we were the ones who got teased a lot. We’ve always had each others’ backs until now.
 
“What’s up, Sunmi?” Mr. Shades Guy said. Now that I’m closer, I could tell who he was. God, how I wish he isn’t who I think he is… not after thinking he was kinda hot. He took his shades off and ran his hand through his dark brown hair. Oh hell no! “Miss me?” he smiled. This is Jung Yunho, the biggest jerk on the face of the planet. He made my formative years a hell hole. I wouldn’t say I hate him to the core but I just find him arrogant and --- excuse my French --- an . “Not much.” I answered him. “I see you’ve, uh…” he shifted his weight on one leg as he looked at me from head to toe “developed…” he continued. “What the ---?” I charged at him but Junsu held me back with that trademark “Whoa” of his. This is completely normal. Let’s say this is how Yunho and I greet each other. “Still a feisty little girl, aren’t you?” Yunho continued to smile. “That’s it.” I shrugged Junsu’s grip to attack the damn guy only to be held back again. “Seriously?!” Yoochun cut in. “We’re not kids anymore. Can’t we all just get along?” ever the peacemaker Yoochun tried to calm us. “Yunho hyung [(if the speaker is male) older brother’s], don’t call Sunmi a little girl. Sunmi dongsaeng [younger sibling], behave.” My brother told us. “I was just telling her how much she’s grown.” Yunho defended. “Oh, really now? Calling me a little girl makes me grown up? Really smart, Yunho... very smart indeed!” I snapped at him. And so began a war between me and Yunho. It was just like any other Word War… insults here, cursing there. I didn’t even have to listen to what he was saying. All I cared about was how to release four years of anguish at him. After a while, Junsu and Yoochun had to stand between us to prevent further ‘damage’.
 
“Ugh! It’s just not worth it! I won’t sink to your level, Yunho. You can do whatever the hell you want and I wouldn’t even care a tiny bit!” I said as I walked off to the luggage I left at the bench. “You’re walking out on me? Mature! Really mature, Sunmi!” Yunho called. I would turn back and punch him in the face if only we weren’t in a public place. Junsu ran to my side. “Four years, huh?” he said. “The guy still hasn’t changed. He’s still such an .” I snorted as I carried my backpack to my shoulder. “You’re cursing now?” my best friend said as he made one of my trolley bags stand. “Why? I’m eighteen. I am entitled the right to curse.” I joked. Junsu laughed his signature laugh. “That’s mine too.” I pointed at a bigger suitcase. “Did you bring your house too?” he jested. “Just my closet.” I replied. “But that’s not a problem, right? Your arms are to die for now!” I praised him. It was true. The years were kind to Kim Junsu. His physique alone was enough to prove that. From his muscular arms to his toned abdomen (which he proudly showed off by wearing a body-hugging shirt), he was perfect. And even though it’s hard to admit, Yunho aged beautifully too. He’s gotten just as buffed as Junsu but I’m sure he’d already know that. After all, he had a serious case of narcissism… that’s just me speaking.
 
Junsu proved me right by pulling the big suitcase to its wheels effortlessly. Yoochun and Yunho came to the bench to get the rest of the luggage. I completely ignored them and walked to the exit with Junsu. “What do you plan to do this summer, Sunmi?” Junsu asked me as we neared the exit. “You promised you’d take me to the beach.” I reminded him. “That’s right… Just the two of us?” he asked. “Sure!” I agreed. “Would your oppa be okay with that?” He turned back to see Yoochun. “He won’t mind. He trusts you.” I lied. Yoochun would kill me for even thinking of being alone with a guy. We made our way to the parking lot across the airport’s exit. “You have a car?” I asked. “Yeah but… my baby’s not with me today.” He said halfheartedly. “Whose car are we riding then?” I worried. “Mine.” Yunho proudly announced from behind us. A gray BMW in front of us beeped. He sped to its trunk and opened it. Why, God… why?! “Put your bags inside… and… don’t scratch the paint.” Yunho said after loading Yoochun’s duffle bag in the trunk. I was planning to do just what he told us not to do. If his car wasn’t a BMW, I’d willingly write “I’m a jerk” using an ice pick on its doors.
 
Junsu and I helped each other in loading my luggage into the trunk. Yunho and Yoochun already went in the car. Yoochun brought with him just a duffle bag and a medium-sized suitcase. His excuse: ‘Do I need clothes when I’m going to sleep?’ As grossed out as I was, I had to agree. But I didn’t follow his example thus the 90 pounds of baggage. Yoochun took the passenger’s seat leaving the backseat for me and Junsu.
 
“Where to?” Yunho asked. “Halmuni’s [Grandmother’s] house.” Yoochun answered as he wore his seatbelt. “Jaejoong hyung’s neighbor?” Junsu inquired. Yoochun nodded. Our grandmother was in Jeju for a vacation. That was the main reason Yoochun and I had to pay a visit to our birthplace: Korea. She needed someone to ‘guard’ the house while she was gone. That’s two whole months in Korea. Appa and Umma would’ve volunteered but they were having their second honeymoon in Hawaii. Also, Yoochun visits ‘The Guys’ once a year. It’s been a habit of his since he turned eighteen. Until now, I’m still wondering why I agreed to join my brother. I had no purpose… well, I needed to see Junsu.
Wait just a minute. Did he say Jaejoong?