Pretty Please?

A Beautiful Mess

 

 

All the possibilities and impossibilities filled my thoughts. She was just smiling and wiping her tear-stained cheeks. My heart pounded against my chest with anxiety and excitement. Those two emotions streamed free into my veins and into my head.

 

‘Yun... I--I’m not ready...’

 

‘No kidding... You can’t be serious. No.’

 

‘I’m sorry, what? You wanna marry me? I’m a freshman in college?! What the hell are you thinking?!’

 

‘Are you insane?! Are you high, or something?! What’s Taepung been telling you?!’

 

‘Yunho... I’m sorry but... Jaejoong. He... he asked first. And I... I kinda said yes.’

 

‘Yunho. That’s just sick, man. Really sick. That... that is just twisted!’

 

The few seconds that passed felt like an hour. She was just sobbing and laughing. She kissed me. Her hands gently touched my shoulder then my neck then my cheek. She pressed her forehead against mine, her sweet grin never leaving her lips.

 

“Yes. I will.” She claimed my lips but I couldn’t reciprocate. What did she just say? “I’ll marry you, Jung Yunho. Yes...”

 

I blinked. My heart felt like it was about to explode with joy. A billion tons of weight were lifted off my chest. Her lips were still against mine and that was all I felt.

 

She said yes! I smiled against her kiss and held her close. I took in the familiar scent of her raspberry shampoo and her perfume. I was home. And I never wanted to leave.

 

I slipped the ring on her finger. It fits her perfectly. She pulled me close to her again in an embrace. “I’m so happy, Yunho. Thank you.” She kissed my cheek. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” I smiled. I was an inch close to a kiss when someone knocked on the door.

 

“Sunny honey! Are you guys done?” Mitch’s voice was distant but it was all to clear that she was excited.

 

“Open the door, hyung! It’s been more than an hour and a half! We’re dying out here!” Changmin followed, his voice shaking with joy.

 

Sunmi and I laughed. I kissed her on her forehead instead and offered to open the door. I turned the knob, allowing the two to come flooding in.

 

“Well that explains the wait.” Mitch smiled, knowingly. Sunmi blushed and covered her face with her hands. Mitch’s eyes widened as her jaw dropped. “Oh wow, Mi! It’s beautiful!” She took Sunmi’s left hand and examined the ring. “You sure know how to pick rings, dude.” Mitch pointed at me.

 

I shook my head. “I didn’t pick the ring.” Sunmi looked at me, puzzled. “That belonged to my mother. My father gave it to her when they got engaged. So... that ring kind of picked me.”

 

Sunmi took my face with her hand and kissed me on the lips. I was taken by surprise but that went away. I gave in. Mitch gave out a small ‘awww’ while Changmin scoffed. “Thank you. Really. Like... seriously serious. I love you.” Sunmi said.

 

I couldn’t comprehend why I never get tired of hearing those three words from Park Sunmi. It has never lost its touch since she first said so. My heart still jumps and my knees still grow weak. I’d want to hear those words forever.

 

I smiled and laced my fingers with hers. “It was no bother.” I replied, still wearing the smile she inflicted upon me.

 

~*~*~

It was ten in the morning. I woke with two things in mind: ‘Jung Yunho, you are engaged to Park Sunmi.’ And ‘How in the hell am I going to tell Sunmi’s parents about last night?’

 

We discussed that for a few minutes with Changmin and Mitch. She says she doesn’t really care... neither does Mitch. Changmin was indifferent. It seemed as if I was the only one worrying.

 

Why wouldn’t I be worrying? Sunmi is Park Appa’s  youngest child and only girl. He was a professional boxer back in the day and could knock his opponent cold with his signature right hook. Park Umma was never well-associated with shock but is very well-associated with ceramic plates and frisbee. Yoochun is short-tempered and pretty much insane.

 

Who am I kidding. I didn’t ask for permission to propose. I didn’t even tell them I was going to the States. I was either going to get castrated with a wrench or die at their barbeque grill.

 

I smoothed the wrinkles on my bed. I was never neat but it just made no sense leaving a bed unmade if I didn’t share it with Sunmi. I prefer a messy bed full of memories.

 

“Don’t... touch... that... red... wig.” murmured the lump on the other bed.

 

Changmin as been talking in his sleep since we were kids and I’ve grown quite used to it. He says the strangest, most bizarre things. It was fun playing with him too.

 

“What happens if I do?” I said. It took a few moments before he stopped groaning gibberish.

 

“Chop...sticks...” he whined.

 

I laughed to myself. Taepung stretched out of under my bed. He came to my side to greet me. He yawned and closed his eyes to sleep again. Ah. I understand now. Jetlag...

 

“Changmin ah. I’m gonna go meet with the Parks. You take care here and don’t leave Taepung outside.” I finished wearing my shoes and tapped what seemed to be the shoulder of our wierdo maknae.

 

"Captain... is... being... eaten."He groaned in reply. I’ll take that as a yes. I grabbed the rented car’s keys and stepped out of the room. The owner of the motel greeted me with a smile. I got in the car, revved the ignition and drove to the streets. I’d be at Sunmi’s dorm in half an hour. I called her up.

 

“Mi. You ready?” I asked.

 

“Well good morning to you too, stranger.” she replied, half-awake. “Are you here?”

 

“Not yet.” I turned a corner. “Give me thirty minutes.” I headed straight.

 

She yawned in the most adorable of ways. “That’s sad. Mitch has classes so she’s gone.”

 

“What are you suggesting, Park Sunmi?” I asked. My body was heating up again. Darn it, this girl.

 

“Nothing.” She was obviously smiling through the tone of her voice. “Come here quick. Bye!” Then the line died. I smiled to myself. I still can’t believe I was going to marry Park Sunmi... nor could I understand why in the world she said yes.

 

Well, I guess that just means she loves me too. That she feels the same way. That she’s willing to take the risk as well. That she’s just as crazy as I am.

 

The minutes passed. Thinking of her just lets time drift away somewhere I wouldn’t bother to look at. I couldn’t wait to see her. Hot flash upon hot flash of memories either ‘rated’ or random bombarded my mind like my entire life was being shown to me. And I was happy. I was actually euphoric to the brink of insanity.

 

I grabbed my shades from the bag on the back seat, wore it and got out of the car. I locked it from a good five steps away. I spotted a guy at a distance throwing his cigarette to the ground. He smiled, shoved his hands in his pockets and walked towards me. The shadow of his cap concealed his identity. We met at a certain point at the patio but his shoulder barely brushed mine as he walked past me. I turned back around, feeling the need to ask who he was but he had already disappeared. I shrugged it off. I had more important things to attend to.

 

I got to the dorm lobby, went up the stairs and knocked on Sunmi’s door. I noticed a manila envelope at my feet. I picked it up and found a post-it on the flap saying: ‘ Here you go. Just as I promised. I wish you all the best, Park Sunmi. Say hello to Yunho for me. ---Jaejoong’.

 

I froze upon reading the name of the sender. What could this be?? I didn’t have to think twice about opening the envelope. I pulled on the red string that kept the flap in place. There were a few sheets of paper inside. I pulled them all out. The first page read: ‘UNIVERSITY OF SEOUL: FOREIGN TRANSFEREE APPLICATION FORM’.

 

My heart skipped a beat. My throat ran dry. ‘Just as I promised’? Sunmi and Jaejoong had been planning this? Was Jaejoong the guy I saw at the parking lot? Why would Sunmi want to go to the University of Seoul?

 

"Hey, I--" Sunmi’s greeting was cut short when I pushed her back inside her room and closed the door behind us. I held the envelope at one hand while the other held the forms. "What’s the big idea?" she said as she stumbled a few steps back.

 

"What are these?" I held the form in front of her. She squinted and took the papers from me.

 

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. She covered with her right while her left held the forms. "He really did it. Oh my God, he really got them..."

 

She caught herself on the edge of the bed while I followed suit. She shook her head as she studied the forms. Her lips formed a quivering smile then she wrapped her arms around me, making us both lie on the bed. She straddled me between her knees and that was when I realized all she had on were a pair of jeans and a rouge noir colored bra.

 

"Do you realize what this means, Yunho?!" she exclaimed as she shook me by the shoulders. I was too distracted by her attire and the way the sun was hitting her skin to even react. All I could feel was my mouth mirroring her smile even though Jaejoong was partially (if not entirely) responsible for this. "I get to move back to Korea and stay with you! Can you believe it?!" She continued to shake me.

 

She got off her position and that was the end of my fun. Sunmi ran to a drawer and placed the forms in it then opened her closet to grab a pink tank top and  a white jacket.

 

Hang on. What did she just say? "You’re what?" I asked, quizzically.

 

Her head popped out of the tank top and she pulled  out her hair. Damn it. It was all too distracting. She came to my spot, stood on her toes and held my face. "I’m going back to Korea. We get to be together. I get to be with you."

 

Together? She’s going back? I’m not going to be alone anymore? "Sunmi ah." I took her in my arms. I still don’t understand. I mean, I did but I was still in shock.

 

Jaejoong did this. I am paranoid, yes. But he finally did something that benefit me and did not hurt Sunmi in any way. As I held Sunmi in my arms, it all slowly sank in.

 

"We’d better tell your Umma and Appa." I whispered.

 

~*~*~

We pulled over at the curb of a beige, two-storey house with white fences and a red brick pathway leading to the porch. Next to the grassy lawn was a concrete area with a basketball hoop and a black BMW parked right in the middle of the makeshift court. I remembered that Yoochun used to play basketball in highschool and that he’d always brag about his BMW whenever he came to Korea for his annual visits.

 

"Yoochun’s here?" I asked the obvious.

 

Sunmi turned to me as she took her seatbelt off. She brought her index finger to , biting her nail. She does that when she’s nervous. She answered with a nod then stopped her nail-biting probably realizing that I caught her. ", Yunho. I’m really nervous." she shook her hands, closing and opening them as if she were cold.

 

"Don’t be. I’m here. I’ll take care of this." I had to at least pretend to be brave. She needed my strength. I touched her knee to comfort and calm her, praying she wouldn’t feel that I was shaking too. "We’d get through this."

 

She smiled. "They already love you so... make them fall harder." She laid her lips on mine and that convinced me I had all the luck and edge I needed.

 

We got out of the rented car and walked to the front door. I could already hear Park Umma. Sunmi inherited the sweetness of her voice while Yoochun had her tone of conviction. The door slowly opened. I held my breath.

 

"...and don’t touch the counter with those filthy hands, Yoochun, or you’re cleaning up!" Park Umma came into view. She looked more like Sunmi’s older sister than her mother. She hasn’t aged a day since four years ago.

 

"Hi mom." Sunmi embraced the woman.

 

"Omona, it’s Jung Yunho!" Park Umma pushed Sunmi to the side and hugged me. Sunmi rolled her eyes at her mother. "Yeobo! Yoochunnie! Jung Yunho is here!"

 

We got in the narrow doorway. I spotted Yoochun and Park Appa at the end of the hall. Park Appa has kept in good shape. He still had huge arms, a massive chest and toned legs that still showed underneath the baggy sweatpants. He had white hair strands on his head but that only added to his tough yet kind appearance.

 

The older Park took giant steps towards me while Yoochun just stood there with a puzzled look on his face.

 

"My boy! How nice of you to come by! How long have you been in the States for?" Park Appa asked as he took me in a firm hug. "Aigoo! You’ve gotten so buff! Look at this, Yoochun! This is a real man’s body."

 

I laughed to myself. Yes. I was going to come out of this house alive, happy and in one piece. I held Sunmi’s hand. She had been ignored since Park Umma met me. I just wanted to remind  my future parents-in-law of their wonderful daughter with whom I have fallen so madly in love with.

 

"What’d I tell you." Sunmi said into my ear. I squeezed her hand in acknowledgement.

 

"Hyung. What’re you doing here?" Yoochun stuttered.

 

"I missed Sunmi. I got here yesterday." I beamed.

 

"Come on into the living room. It’s getting crowded in here." Park Umma pulled me by the hand, making me drag Sunmi along with me. As soon as we were all seated -- Sunmi and I across the couch with the rest of the Parks -- I realized that this was it. Sunmi and I are going to be officially engaged and ready to head to Korea for her college education.

 

"Park Umma. Park Appa. There’s something we need to tell you." Sunmi squeezed my hand tight as I spoke. I saw Yoochun’s eyes widen with fear while Park Umma and Appa simply smiled for us to proceed with our announcement.

 

"Sunmi and I are..." I looked at Sunmi. She bit her lip and I felt her take in a deep breath. I looked back the Parks in front of me. "Sunmi and I, as you all know, are couple, right?" I started. Sunmi squeezed my hand again, cutting off my circulation.

 

The Parks nodded. "And we couldn’t be happier." Park Umma said.

 

"We’re just glad Sunmi didn’t pick another rowdy fraternity boy, isn’t that right, Yeobo? Finally! A real man!" Park Appa followed.

 

"Dad. Please." Yoochun covered his face with his hands, distressed.

 

"Yeah, Dad. Please." Sunmi echoed.

 

"I’m just saying! All the boys Sunmi’s introduced to us are bums!" Park Appa elaborated. "Yunho-sshi, I don’t mind the . You may be five years apart but, trust me, when you’re twenty-five and she’s twenty, it won’t seem like that far!"

 

I cleared my throat to continue my grand speech. I could envision it. Park Umma would be crying with joy, Park Appa would be nodding vigorously with a approval, Yoochun would be smiling from ear to ear, and Sunmi’s gaze would be fixated on me as I announce our engagement. Yes, I was cocky but cockiness has always helped me. Always.

 

"I know that we haven’t been together long but--" I was cut short by another interruption this time from Park Umma.

 

"That’s not neccesarily true, Yunho-sshi. Sunmi’s known you all her life! What normally takes six years of exclusivity has been perfectly covered." the woman said while her husband nodded in agreement.

 

I didn’t bother to reply even though Park Umma had a point. I smiled and went on. "I want you both to know, Umma and Appa--Yoochun already knows this very well-- that I love your daughter very... very... VERY much. I haven’t forgotten that promise I made when I was eight to take good care of her no matter where she is, what’s going on and why, anytime. That promise will never be broken." I breathed out. I gazed into Sunmi’s eyes as she gazed back into mine. Her fingers tightened around mine. "Park Appa, Park Umma, Yoochun ah... I’ve asked Sunmi to marry me... and she said yes."

 

I looked at the Parks. No tears, no nod, no smile. I swallowed hard. Was this it? Or was this just the shock? Should I have gone slower? Should I repeat what I said? Why aren’t they--

 

My thoughts were drained when Yoochun charged and pulled me up from the couch by the collar.  "Yoochun ah. Rela--" I was cut off by a loud ‘WHAT?!’ from him.

 

"YOU DID WHAT? AND SHE SAID WHAT?!" He was fuming. I was laughing in my head, surprised with their reactions when I felt a massive blow on my left. It couldn’t be from Yoochun. He had both his hands on my shirt. I heard two gasps. I out for a few seconds and found myself on the couch with Sunmi’s arms around me.

 

Wow. That was unexpected. I just recieved Park Appa’s signature right hook. I got to admit... that was a hundred times stronger than thirty shots of tequila and a bottle of gin.

 

I was getting double vision but I was certain Park Appa was shaking his right hand as if prepare to throw another punch.

 

"Daddy, what on Earth was that for?! You could’ve killed him!" Sunmi protested, cupping my face. "Are you alright, Yunnie?" I smiled and nodded. Was this really happening? I laughed at my overconfidence and stupidity. But overall I was ridiculously happy. I didn’t know why. Maybe it was because I just knew Sunmi would nurse me back to one piece after this.

 

"Yeobo! Yoochun! Calm down!" Park Umma ordered. The two men followed. They looked exactly the same when they were angry and shocked. Their nostrils were flaring, they had lines on their wide foreheads, and their eyes looked like they were going to pop out if their sockets.

 

I shook my head to regain my senses. It was rather effective since I no longer saw two or three of everything.

 

"So you asked our MiMi to marry you?" Park Umma stumbled.

 

"Yes, Umma." Sunmi answered right away, raising her left hand.

 

"Holy , that’s your mom’s ring!" Yoochun lunged forward to get a closer look at the ring.

 

"Yoochun, language." Park Umma warned but was ignored. She looked at the ring. "Omo, it’s gorgeous." She shook her head as if to wake herself up. She slumped on the couch but quickly straightened up again. "Why? There must a reason. Are you... oh God, Park Sunmi. Are you pregnant? Is that why you want to get married???" Park Umma’s tone sounded like she was about to have a heart attack.

 

"Oh no! No, Umma!" Sunmi half-laughed. "I’m not. I--I’m not pregnant. God, no!"

 

"Well then, why?!" Park Umma insisted. My eyes were glued on the two male Parks who were probably planning on what tools to use in castrating me. Holy . I’m not coming out of this house alive after all. I had to salvage myself. I had to think of something quick.

 

"I love her. That’s an understatement. She means the entire universe to me. The world can come to an end and I wouldn’t care for as long as I know that I’m hers and she’s mine. That’s why I asked her to marry me. Because my life has been worthless all these years before I manned up and told her how I felt. Because my heart has never beated since she told me she loved me too. Because my soul was never whole until I realized she was all I needed to survive." I fell on my knees before the Parks. I crouched down lower until my forehead met the carpet. "Please. Grant my wish to live with your daughter until the end of my days and beyond."

 

I remained in my position for God knows how long. But I was willing to wait. The fuzzy darkness around me made me feel like I was about to die but, I felt a surge of hope rush through my veins. I heard Sunmi sigh my name followed by a ‘Dear boy...’ from Park Umma and a ‘Hyung’ from Yoochun.

 

"Get up, boy." Park Appa said. I complied, adjusting to the new light. He held me by one shoulder and I flinched, fearing another punch would come flying to hit my jaw. Park Appa took me in his arms, his grip tightening into a harsh embrace. "Why didn’t you say that instead, I wouldn’t have nearly blown your head off?"

 

I breathed a sigh of relief. I saw tears welling up in Park Umma’s eyes and a grin forming along the corners of Yoochun’s lips. Park Appa let me go and have me a nod of approval. "Jung Yunho. You have my blessing." He said.

 

"Mine too." Park Umma wiped a tear from under her eye.

 

"My wishes as well, hyung." Yoochun followed.

 

I smiled and turned to Sunmi whose cheeks had been stained by tears yet again. "You crazy bastard..." she dove in to hug me. I held her arms as she wrapped them around my shoulders. "Thank you, Umma. Thank you, Appa." She sobbed. I held her tighter, thankful that now... we were bound to one another the way destiny had designed.