Breathe

A Beautiful Mess

 

“Jung Yunho! Are you serious?!” Changmin's eyes landed on the ring on my palm.
 
“Yah. You have it all planned out, kid? Congratulations!” the driver's voice shook with laughter.
 
“Don't encourage it, ajusshi!” The Mighty Shim warned.
 
I remained silent but small, faint voices were echoing my head. One of them -- the sweetest, most captivating one -- said 'Sometimes the craziest decision is the one that'll make the most sense.' That voice was Park Sunmi's. I remember it perfectly. She might not since she was half asleep when she said so but, I do. She closed her eyes afterward and drifted off to her own world while I stayed awake. I was dwelling in her words so simple and casual yet so substantial.
 
Crazy. Yes, this decision 'may' be insane but I can't think of anything else that will make more sense. I don't think it will be that difficult. For all I know, she could be expecting this. I hope she isn't though. Where's the surprise in that? I need to lay low for a while. I need to control myself. Almost impossible but, I have to. I need to. My life depends on it. Like the air I breathe and the blood in my veins.
 
I was sober now. I was thinking straight. I knew that because I made a great estimate of how far the cab was from hitting the rear of the car in front of us. All the more that I was sure I was making the right decision. The best and the craziest decision I have ever made.
 
I will propose to Park Sunmi. The angel of my hopes. The nurturer of my soul. The healer of my heart. The goddess of my faith. The warmer of my nights. The brightener of my day. The girl of my dreams. The love of my life. My all. My everything. My one. My only.
 
“Hyung. You're really just joking, right? You're not really going to ask Sunmi to marry you. I mean... isn't it... you know... uhhh... too soon?” Changmin was being Changmin again. I continued to ignore him. “And isn't she too young? She's eighteen, hyung. Turning nineteen in less than five months. She just started college!”
 
We don't need to get married right away. I'm willing to wait. I'm even willing to plan everything for her. (I know it's not a possibility but, what's wrong with that?) I just... want her to be mine. I want us to be together until the end of time. I can't see myself with any other one out there. I can only see her. I can see my future in her. I can see my life with her because... she is my life.
 
I won't be complete without her. I'd die. I'd disappear. I'd have no existence. No reason to live. Nothing. No one. I wouldn't be who I am. I wouldn't even be human. I was born for her. I was born to love her. Every part of me was made to fit and fill her. We were meant to be. My thoughts may be an effect of watching too much dramas and romance movies and reading too many novels but that was the truth.
 
I know that.
 
She knows that.
 
The whole world does.
 
That's why I can't let her go. That's why I have to do this. That's why I have to get to the airport as soon as possible to get a plane to the US.
 
“Hyung, did you hear me just now?” Changmin laid his hand over my shoulder.
 
I smiled. “I sure as hell did but I'd rather ignore you.”
 
He furrowed his brows then rolled his eyes. “You're out of your mind. But fine. Whatever makes you happy. Yoochun hyung's gonna kill you.”
 
The driver cried out a shout of victory. “Looks like we're in luck, boys. Hang on. I'm heading for it.” The cab revved and the two cars in front of us parted. My body lurched backwards as we sped off. The next thing I know we were up on the curb. We were finally here.
 
Hannah was in a far distance with Mang-doongie in her arms and Changmin's suitcase parked next to her. It has never registered to me that Hannah was a half-Korean, half-American and that Changmin actually let her go a little too late. The girl’s a : attitude problem and superiority complex… the works. After getting his American visa with her help, he broke up with her and fought for custody of Mang-doongie. He, of course, lost the battle for the dog and now only gets to keep the poor puppy-child every two months or so.
 
That’s how brilliant Shim Changmin is.
 
“About time!” Hannah yelled from her post. Changmin unloaded the luggage from the trunk and went to Hannah. I reached for Taepung in the backseat. Of course, Changmin wouldn't bother to do that himself.
 
“Ajusshi. Here's the fare.” I handed the driver the money.
 
“Good luck, kid! Have a safe trip!” then the cab drove off. I smiled to myself. That man changed my life. I took the suitcase and Taepung's kennel with me then joined Changmin in the distance.
 
“Well, well, well. You really know how to get into people's heads, Yunho sshi.” Hannah's brows furrowed.
 
“Comes with being a hyung.” I faked a smile and ignored her annoyance. “Ready, Changmin?”
 
Our maknae was engrossed in babying the tired-looking Mang-doongie in his ex's arms. He snapped back to reality and nodded.
 
“Nice seeing you again, Hannah sshi.” I bowed to bid the witch good-bye. She did a two-finger salute then hailed a cab. Changmin was already ten steps ahead of me. I hurried to catch up with him.
 
“You're in major luck, hyung. There's a plane leaving at six.” Changmin pointed at the flight schedule.
 
“Fate is on our side, maknae.” I wrapped my arm over his shoulder and took it back before he could react. He doesn't like being touched by guys. “Let's go.”
 
We headed for the long row of flight attendants and service personnel. The woman behind the counter raised a brow when I said we wanted to be on the next flight from Incheon International Airport to LAX. She typed a little and smiled.
 
“We do have two seats available in first class.” she informed.
 
I placed a credit card on the marble. “We'll take it.” All the more did the woman freak out. Changmin mirrored her expression and pressed my shoulder down.
 
“What the hell?! Can you really afford that?!” he half-whispered.
 
“The new deal was worth a little less than half a million US dollars. Chill out.” I said through grit teeth.
 
“May I see your US visas, please?” The woman asked so we handed her what she needed. “And the dog's papers.”
 
A few clicks and prints later she said, “Sign here, sir.” She placed the receipt on the marble. I signed my name and she took the paper back. “Here you are. Two first class tickets to Los Angeles, California, USA. Flight SA923. And a pet pass. Have a safe trip!” She placed our tickets and my credit card on the counter. I took them and walked away.
 
We pulled our luggage across the floor and arrived at the check-in counter for our flight in business class. There stood another woman who welcomed us more hospitably than the one before.
 
“Good morning, sirs. Off to Los Angeles?” She asked as I placed the tickets on the counter.
 
“Hi, Miss Soojin. Will you be in the plane with us?” Changmin put on his Casanova voice.
 
Soojin glanced at him from her computer. “I'm afraid not, Mr. Shim.”
 
“That's unfortunate. There won't be anything pretty to look at during the long, boring flight.” He continued.
 
Soojin giggled and continued her typing and writing. I ignored the two and loaded our luggage on the mini treadmill. Taepung was awfully quiet when I took peek inside his kennel. Turns out he was just asleep.
 
The rest of the smooth talk was inaudible to me. I was too nervous and excited. Little by little, I was stepping into another world. The world I never knew until that taxi driver said what he said.
 
“Here are your boarding passes. Thank you and have a great flight.” She smiled as I accepted the passes. I handed Changmin his.
 
We were a good distance away from the check-in counter when The Shim laughed to himself. He tapped me on the shoulder and shoved his boarding pass to my face. Soojin had written her cellphone number under Changmin's name along with a smiley.
 
“Haha! She digs me!” he declared with a cocky smile. He took his pass back and walked on.
 
....
 
“Lee-joon. It's Yunho. I'm going to be away for a while. I left for the States in the last minute but, if anyone asks, tell them I'm in Gwangju to visit my parents. I'm sorry for the lack of notice. Something just came up. But I know you can manage. Just give me call when you need me.”
 
“Junsu yah. Changmin and I are on a flight to the States for Sunmi. I'm gonna ask her to marry me. Help out Lee-joon if in any case he needs it. We don't know when we'll be back. Don't do anything stupid while we're gone and tell Halmuni everything. Thanks.”
 
“Hi, Jooeun. You probably heard from Junsu but just in case. I'm going away for a while. Listen... thank you... for the kick in the head.”
 
I was lucky to miss them. It would've been a lot harder if they picked up. Especially Junsu since he always has a ton of questions to ask. I felt bad having to leave Lee-joon. He hasn't even been on the job for a week.
 
But right now, I had bigger concerns. I'm going to travel to the other side of the world to take the greatest chance of my life. I can feel myself slowly living more and more.
 
Park Sunmi... I'm coming for you.
 
~*~*~
 
“Are you insane?!” a frantic Junsu yelled.
 
It was half past seven in the evening, US time. I was living the same day over again. Sunmi was right. The International Dateline .
 
“I'm serious about this, Junsu. Can't you just give me your support?” I replied.
 
Changmin and I were on our way to Sunmi's dormitory. We rented a car in the airport. It was going to be a long drive so I had to leave Taepung at the motel. That dog was under enough stress so I gave him some time off. If I lost eighteen hours, he probably lost a day: dog time.
 
 Since Changmin missed driving in the States so much, he insisted on taking the wheel. I must say he was a pretty good driver except for the sudden brakes and hundred-mile speed offs. I only nearly died of a heart attack three times over the past hour.
 
I had this day all planned out. Sunmi is expecting my call about an hour from now. I didn't call her in the morning which probably means she's dead angry with me. Depending on how soon we could get there, I could keep her on the line while I go to her floor. I'd show up at her door, get inside the room, kiss her (maybe more), get her settled and ask her to marry me.
 
That's it. No strolls. No fancy dinners. No bed of roses. No candles. No violinists. No rooftops. No airplanes with giant banners. No skywritings. No announcements on baseball games. Just me... my words... and this ring.
 
“You do have my support, hyung. All my support. I salute you. I'm happy for you and Sunmi. I'm sure she'd say yes. But--” Junsu was cut short by a pop and a click. Someone just kissed him. There's no mistaking it.
 
“Junsu yah. Is it really noon?” Another click. “Come on back here. We've got nothing to do for the rest of the day.” A pop. “Come here...” A laugh.
 
“Who was that?” I protested. Holy crap... I know. “Was that--it can't be. Not Jooeun.”
 
“I don't know what you're talking about.” he stammered.” I have to go now, hyung. You have my support but you--” I could hear bedsheets crumple followed by a female grunt. “I really have to go now. Bye.” Then the line went dead.
 
“What was that?” Changmin asked.
 
I shrugged. Changmin doesn't have to know yet. But I was more that sure that the woman in the background was Jooeun. I knew leaving him alone with her would result to something... strange.
 
But that wasn't the purpose of that conversation. What in the hell was he going to say? But what? He must know something I don't. And I hope it's got nothing to do with Jaejoong.
 
“GPS. What would the world be without it? I love this thing.” Changmin lovingly the small TV screen. “So hyung. What am I supposed to do while you're with Sunmi?”
 
“You...” I thought and dug deep. “...get rid of the roommate. Her name is Mich Lee. She's a dancer too. Sunmi's best friend and unofficial sister. You'd get along.”
 
“I'm not into girls Sunmi's age.” he sighed. “They remind of... Sunmi.”
 
“Just drive and get us there, okay?” I laughed. I thought of calling Lee-joon. I should. He must be going crazy. My phone rang. Just as I expected, it was Lee-joon.
 
“Lee-joon sshi. Are you alright?” I said.
 
“Neh, hyung. I'm alright.” He replied. “I was just going to ask you if I should cancel the Elle photoshoot with uhh... Song Hyekyo.”
 
“The actress??” I panicked. I forgot all about it. Cha songsaengnim will kill me.
 
“Neh, hyung. The actress. I'm a huge fan and I think I might faint if I get as close as a kilometer from her. We should--” I had to cut the guy short.
 
“No, no. Push through. I know you can do it.” I smiled despite my anxiety.
 
“I'm only a student, hyung!” Lee-joon was yelling now. “Chosonghamnida. But hyung... I don't know what to do!”
 
“Calm down. You know where the equipment is. Don't be late, tell them you were sent by the agency instead of me. If all else fails, tell them I sent you. I know it sounds crazy but it'll work.” I explained.
 
I heard him breathe out. “Sure thing, hyung. Kamsahamnida.” I could sense him smiling. I bid him goodbye and ended the call.
 
“So Hyung, what are you gonna say to Sunmi?” Changmin asked.
 
I thought again. “I don't know.” I lied. Of course I knew. What am I doing here if I didn't?
 
He laughed. “Well then, you have approximately fifteen minutes to think of something.”
 
I looked at the GPS and saw the ETA.
 
“Crap.” I dialed Sunmi's number. “Why do you drive so fast?!” She picked up on the second ring (as always). “Good evening!” I greeted.
 
“You ! Why didn't you call me this morning?! And your phone was off! I was worried sick!” she yelled. “Are you happy now?! You must be so freaking happy! I almost died worrying about you!”
 
“I am now.” I laughed. I missed her voice so much my heart was fluttering and jumping with joy. “Mianhae. Do you forgive me?”
 
“Of course I do. Just don't do it again.” she replied. “So tell me. What made you so busy? A girl? She's a model isn't she? Five-nine, long legs, member of a girl group? Looks good in nothing but bed sheets? Nice ? Damn. I knew it. It's all about the . Well, I'm sorry a, 5”2, 33-24-35 isn't good enough for you.”
 
“No. Of course not. I wasn't at a shoot.” I laughed again. “I was...” Think, Jung Yunho, think. “...stuck in a meeting. It was really long and boring. No breaks. No nothing. It . So how was your day?”
 
“Terrible.” she whined. “Coz you didn't call and freaking Jaejoong was at my dorm and--” I had to cut her short.
 
“Jaejoong is there?!” I yelled.
 
“Yeah. He was.” She breathed out a sigh. “But I'm alright. Really. He just... he just told me he's giving up. He's not a problem anymore, Yunho. What was your meeting about?”
 
“How do you know he's not lying to you?” I ignored her. I just couldn't help but question Jaejoong. After all that he's done he can't just give up like that. He's up to something. I know so.
 
“Would you stop that? You're so mad at him. You should be happy he's out of this.” she defended.
 
“You should stop falling for his lies, Park Sunmi. He's having his way with you. He always is.” I said.
 
“He's not lying.” she was firm with her tone. “I'm not that naive. I'm sure about this.”
 
“You don't know him. I do.” I replied.
 
“Well then you weren't here to hear and see him now, were you? You don't know what happened. Or are you just jealous because Jaejoong made an effort to come all the way up here to ask for my forgiveness? Something you can't do because you're too ing busy with your gallery !”
 
I hung up. I couldn't take it. Me? Jealous? If only she knew! If only she knew that I was on my way to her! That I was risking my career for her! That I paid seven months worth of my salary to get here! Plus taxes!
 
She was siding with that piece of , Kim Jaejoong. That's what I hate about her! She's too goddamn forgiving! Jaejoong can kill Yoochun for all she cares and she would still forgive him.
 
I don't understand. Jaejoong cheated on her by sleeping with my assistant! Jaejoong used her to his pride's own pleasure of seeing me pissed! Jaejoong nearly her in my house! My ing house! She should be so angry with him, she could shoot him with a gun if she had one. How does she find it in herself to forgive such a bastard?!
 
Hang on.
 
Did I just fight with my girlfriend before proposing to her? Did I just have my first fight in a relationship with Park Sunmi? I just screwed up all my chances, didn't I? Unbelievable...
 
“Did you just hang up on Sunmi?” Changmin laughed. “You guys fought before the proposal? Ha! That's an interesting story to tell the kids. By the way you have about... four minutes left.”
 
“You're not helping right now, Changmin. So if I were you, I'd keep driving before I get myself strangled by my hyung.” I reprimanded.
 
Shoot. Four minutes. A lot can happen in four minutes. Like in a basketball game. Think, think, think. Fix this. Fix this now or you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
 
I stayed silent and let the lights dance before my eyes. I had nothing. Dammit. All I could think about was how screwed I was.
 
Two minutes.
 
What the hell just happened?! Were we driving too fast? Goddammit, Changmin! Just because the roads are wider here, you can't just pretend you're in NASCAR! My heart was pumping like mad. My knees were shaking. My hands were trembling. Man up, Jung Yunho!
 
“Hyung?” Changmin called. “Are you still alive?”
 
How long has the car been still?
 
“Hyung. Do we go now?” he asked.
 
I didn't reply. Mainly because I couldn't.
 
“Okay, hyung. Ready when you are.” he continued to talk to himself.
 
This was Sunmi's dorm? This old, brick building? This giant house is full of college students? If I remember correctly, she was at the second floor. The room that has her name and Mitch's name on it. She must be angry right now since I hung up on her. She wouldn't even open her door.
 
I tossed those thoughts aside. I got out of the car, dodged a few stares and got in the building. Changmin was right behind me as I sped up the staircase. I spotted Sunmi's room as I was climbing. There it was. Purple letters. Sunny Park and Mitch Lee.
 
“Hey. Watch where you're--” A Korean girl who spoke English bumped into us. “Uh, excuse me. The dude dorm is another block away.”
 
“Are you Mitch Lee?” I asked in Korean.
 
“Yeah, so. What do you--”Her eyes widened. “O-M-F-G.” hung open as she tried to catch herself from getting weak knees. “You're Sun--Sunmi's Yunnie bear?”
 
“Yunnie bear!” Changmin laughed hysterically. “That kills! Yunnie bear! Awww, Yunnie bear so cute!” he squealed and pinched my cheeks.
 
“Mitch, how is Sunmi?” I held her by the shoulders and spoke slowly.
 
She was still dumbstruck but spoke anyway. “She's in the room. Crying. I was gonna go get her a Coke but then you showed up and-- What are you doing here?”
 
“I have to see her.” I dashed and strode the last few steps. “Don't come back until she says so. Stay with him!” I called from above. I could see Changmin offering his hand to Mitch in introduction in the corner of my eye.
 
I ran to Sunmi's door and knocked like mad. I was still catching my breath. That run made my heart beat faster than it already was when I was nervous.
 
Slowly... the door opened. I saw a hint of dark brown hair, my white university sweater and a pair of dark purple shorts. Her eyes were watery and her cheeks were stained with tears but she was still beautiful. That look on her face... her eyes were gaping at me. I wanted to just kiss her for being gone for so long but that wasn't how I planned it. That was step three. I'm still in step two. I noticed that all her lights were off and a box of tissues were in a far corner.
 
“Sunmi?” I said, mid-breath. I pushed the door further open as she stumbled a few steps back. Step two complete. Initializing step three.
 
“Sunmi,” I reached for her face but a hand met my cheek in a slap.
 
“What the hell are you doing here?!?” she yelled more in shock than in anger. She smiled and jumped to wrap her arms around my neck. “I missed you.” She planted a harsh, urgent kiss on my lips and I just melted. “You bastard...”
 
I kissed her back. I let my lips massage hers as I clung onto her the way I would when I dream of her. I lifted her off her feet and she wrapped her legs around my waist. She parted wide enough for me to enter and finally, again, explore.
 
Damn. My clothes felt tighter. My body was heating up. She was kissing me so madly, it was almost like she was going to devour me. I tripped over something and we fell on a mattress. She was quick to take her spot on top of me. She straddled me between her knees as we continued to kiss.
 
“I'm sorry. I'm sorry I yelled, Yunnie.” She said between kisses. “I'm really sorry.”
 
“You don't have to be, baby.” I reciprocated her kiss. “I'm sorry too.” I kissed the side of her neck.
 
She jumped off me, locked the door and went back to the bed. She smiled while she knelt on the mattress, bent over to kiss me and then rose back up to take her sweater off revealing a gray bra. My eyes snapped mental photos of this moment. From her chest to her abdomen to -watering thighs.
 
She kissed my neck. “I can't believe you're here.” Her hands roamed under my shirt. I could feel her fingers drumming over the muscles of my stomach. “You're really here...” she was undoing the buttons as she kissed more of the skin on my neck and shoulders. She tugged on my collar. I rose from the cushions as she took my shirt off and threw it on the floor next to the sweater. She pushed me back down. She was stronger than I thought! Without me even noticing, she was doing my jeans.
 
Her touch made me rise and grunt. She left the button and the zipper open. I was still caged yet I felt more free than before. She straddled me again and smiled. Her rear was sitting right on top of my crotch. “Damn, Sunmi... you're getting me worked up.” I whispered. She drew back until she was standing on the floor. She dropped her shorts to her ankles. I froze and throbbed all over upon the sight of her in just her underwear.  
 
She turned around and undid the hook of her bra. That fell on the floor as well. She faced me. I was shaking with excitement, want and love. I removed my jeans and she took the remainder of her clothes off. She was stark and the moon outside complimented every curve and angle of her body.
 
She crawled back on top of me and ground her hips against mine. She hooked her thumb on the band of my boxers, pushing the garment down; our lips were locked in a passionate kiss. I lent her a hand and finally we were both bare. I couldn't take it anymore... I spun us around.
 
I removed my lips from hers and went on to kiss her neck... her shoulders... her s... her stomach... her thighs. “Yunho...” she called my name as she arched her back upon my mouth's contact between her lucious legs.
 
Her taste. Her sounds. Her sight. I was drunk with her love and heat. She kept on calling my name. Just when I sensed that she was about to peak, I kissed her lips. She wrapped her legs around me and locked it. “Come on. I need you.” she breathed, searching and longing.
 
I smiled and gladly entered familiar territory. I let out a grunt. It was just so warm inside her. It was home. I pressed further and we both moaned. Her breath was getting short and so was mine.
 
“Ah, Mi...” I called as I went deeper in search for that special place of hers. “Sunmi...”
 
She moved underneath me like the dancer that she was; her body was making waves in sync with mine. She closed her eyes tight and tilted her head back. She bit her lip but a cry of pleasure followed by my name escaped anyway.
 
I pulled away slowly but not all the way. She moaned. I pushed slowly still not all the way. She moaned again. “Yunho don't... tease.” she said.
 
I did the same again. “Can't help it.” I did it again. “Say you love me...”
 
“I love you Yunho.” She complied. “I don't want you to ever stop loving me. I'm yours...”
 
“I won't stop.” I moved harder and in rhythm. “I won't stop loving you.” She caught up with me. “Because loving you keeps me alive.” I kissed her shoulders and neck as she allowed me to cover more territory.
 
We were moving fast now. Her warmth surrounded me and drowned me. Her damp skin rubbed against mine in the heat of the night. She held on to me tighter with her hands clutching my shoulders from underneath and her legs around my hips.
 
“Yunho...” she called me in a sigh.
 
I moved even faster. She groaned louder and her grip was tighter. She was shaking. I grunted. “Yunho, I'm...” I went faster. She moaned loudly it was almost a scream. “Yunho!!!” She called out my name and for a split-second I was worried someone would hear. But that went away when a surge of heat and a thousand waves hit me. With a final I gave in to the power of bliss and passion. She was still moving and grinding; her warmth throbbing and gripping me.
 
I broke down on top of her, exhausted but satisfied. The rise and fall of my chest as I tried to catch my breath synced with hers. Just how right and perfect were we for each other? Even our breaths were one. I kissed her lips softly.
 
“You're beautiful, Sunmi.” I tucked a lock of hair from her face and kissed her again. I pulled away, she smiled. I lay next to her as she rested her head on my chest. She traced the angles of my body with her finger tips. We let a few moments pass in silence.
 
“This is so wrong.” she whispered.
 
“What is?” I asked, kissing the top of her head.
 
“People don't just make love when they meet each other again. Where's the drama in that?” she laughed. I laughed with her.
 
I breathed out. How was I going to start step five now that I've settled her down? I really didn't know. I'm at a loss for words. I've rehearsed this so many times but I've lost everything now that I'm in the actual moment.
 
She reached for my shirt on the carpeted floor and wore it. She stood and I noticed that it ended just above her knee but it suited her despite the size. She laughed as she did poses. She knelt on the floor to grab her shorts but her quick movements slowed and her body went limp. Her other hand held up the ring from my jean pocket. My heart skipped a beat. It must've fallen out when I took them off.
 
“Wha-- what's--” she sat on the floor, still staring at the ring.
 
I wrapped the sheets around my waist and joined her on the floor. “Sunmi...” I touched her delicate face. Tears were welling up in her eyes. I took the ring from her but took her hand in mine, lacing my fingers with hers. I looked into those sparkling eyes. I hoped she wouldn't notice that my hands were trembling as well.
 
This was it...
 
This is the moment...
 
“I'll never find another you.” I began as she sobbed and smiled. “You mean the whole world to me. If I could have you... I wouldn't ask for anything more. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
 
I kissed her hand and held her face, wiping her tears away. I kissed her lips and kept her close. She shook from crying. I could also feel tears b my eyes.
 
“Park Sunmi...” I whispered. “Will you marry me?”