F.R.I.E.N.D.S

A Beautiful Mess

 

Jaejoong decided to stay a little longer. He wanted to meet Sunmi’s parents so we were on our way to the Parks’. Being a meter away from him was awkward and so was the silence we shared as I drove. He was smiling like a school girl. God knows what he could be thinking right now. I feel chills run up my spine just thinking about last night.

 

Changmin was dwelling in self-pity at the backseat. He came back from the kimchi rice place dateless. The girl said she doesn’t date guys whose names start with C. I really wish Changmin would learn how to accept defeat and that the female version of pick-up lines are comebacks of rejection. Instead, he defended himself by saying that his English name was Max. He got thrown out of the place for being such a persistent smartass. What's worse? He didn't get a single grain of kimchi rice.

 

“I hate my name.” Changmin whined for the thousandth time. “I hate my life.”

 

Jaejoong ‘giggled’. Damn. The guy giggles now. Not that I have anything against guys like him. I’m a big Jokwon fan. It’s just... weird.

 

“I feel for you, maknae.” I sympathized as I turned the last corner before we get to the Parks’ house.

 

“You don’t understand.” Changmin sighed back.

 

“You’ll find another girl, Min.” Jaejoong humored him.

 

“I hate you. Just because you can have whoever you want doesn’t give you the right to give me advice, hyung.” Changmin retorted.

 

“How about Mitch? Wasn’t she nice?” I tried to comfort him. At the same time, I didn't want to hear Jaejoong's defense.

 

“She was.” He breathed out in despair. After a few seconds, his eyes lit up. “She was hot, too... and pretty. Quite the talker but still made sense. She smelled like summer morning with a hint of vanilla.”

 

“Well? Are you going to ask her out or not?” Jaejoong pitched.

 

“I might.” Changmin shrugged. “But since Yunho hyung owes me a favor--”

 

“What favor?!” I interrupted.

 

“The one when you forced me to come with you on the other side of world and made me sit next to your stupid dog in a taxi twice.” he answered.

 

“I never forced you into this! As far I recall, you volunteered!” I protested.

 

“You’re setting me up with Mitch. Got that?” Changmin eyed me.

 

“Yes, sir.” I sighed.

 

We got to the Parks’ curb. As soon as I stepped on the asphalt, I felt something hard hit my nose. A stone fell on the ground.

 

“What in the--” I yelled. I felt something wet drip from my nose. “Oh , I’m bleeding.” I pinched my nose to stop the blood from dribbling down to my shirt.

 

Changmin laughed his face off whiled Jaejoong stood there in more shock than I was. I picked up the stone and read something etched on it in Korean. ‘ you.’ it says.

 

“Ow! What was that?!” Jaejoong exclaimed mid-trance and touched the back of his neck. Another stone fell on the ground. “Why am I being cursed at by a stone?”

 

At this moment, Changmin was laughing so hard, he was turning red. I was waiting for a boulder to fall on him.

 

I looked around to find the culprit. A tree branch rustled but there was no wind. It was just a glimpse but I could tell that there was kid up there.

 

“Get down from there, you little bastard!!” I kicked the tree. No response. I started to climb up the tree. It wasn’t very tall but I had a hard time using only one arm for leverage.

 

In no time, I heard a loud thud followed by a grunt. A blond kid not older than fifteen fell from the tree. Changmin stopped laughing and helped the kid up. He even congratulated him for his marksmanship.

 

You?!” Jaejoong grabbed the kid from the ground.

 

“You know this kid?” I jumped down from a tree branch to the ground.

 

“Yeah, I do. I had to bribe him with 120 dollars to tell me where Sunmi was. This is Jungmin. Or rather... Johnny.” Jaejoong held the kid by the shoulders.

 

“Let go of me, Kim Jaejoong or you will die!!” Jungmin/Johnny yelled in perfect Korean. “Who’s this guy?!”

 

“So you speak Hangul.” I studied the boy.

 

“Yeah, I know Hangul. Stupid prick. I asked who you were!” Jungmin/Johnny replied. I was just about to punch his lights out but I realized I might go to jail for child abuse.

 

“That’s Jung Yunho... Sunmi’s fiancé.” Jaejoong forced Jungmin/Johnny to my direction. So... he’s still got a bit of manliness in him, alright.

 

The boy’s face turned pale but he furrowed his brows in great anger. His gaze was focused on me and if looks could kill, I’d be dead on the spot.

 

“Right.” I smiled. “You’re the kid with a huge crush on Sunmi.”

 

“It’s not a crush, jerk! I love her more than you do!” he yelled. “Why the hell would Sunmi nuna marry you?! You’re old!”

 

“Can you believe this kid?” I laughed. It sounded like I was on helium because I was pinching my nose the whole time. “How’d you learn Hangul?”

 

“Sunmi nuna taught me. Duh.” Jungmin/Johnny replied. No wonder he curses like Sunmi.

 

“I don’t know about you guys but I like this kid already.” Changmin beamed.

 

An angry American mom came yelling at the porch next door. By the looks of it, she was telling this little guy to come back inside the house. She smiled sweetly at us as she escorted the hormonal mess into the house.

 

“Yunho-sshi, are you alright?” Jaejoong zoomed in close to me... too close. He touched his hand over mine and forced my head downward. “If you tilt your head back you might choke on your blood. Let’s get to Park Umma’s and ask for ice.” He slung my arm over his shoulder and made a cup from his hand under my nose. Why is he doing this? I can walk!

 

“Aww how sweet.” Changmin scoffed. I threw him a look but Jaejoong was quick to pull me back.

 

“Don’t move too much. You don’t want to ruin your shirt.” Jaejoong said softly. “You might have to take it off.”

 

I almost hurled at that statement. But I had to stay this way so I won’t push her--sorry, him -- away. Not when I’ve just made up with him. As strange and gut-wrenching it is, I can’t let my best friend go. I missed him... but not too much. Hearing myself thinking this way was making me gag.

 

Park Umma opened the door and gasped. “Oh what a pleasant surprise! The boys are here!” Another gasp. “Yunho-sshi, what happened?!”

 

“Johnny from next door shot a rock at him and now his nose is bleeding.” Jaejoong explained.

 

“Hello, Park Umma!” Changmin greeted from behind us.

 

“Hello to you too. Come on inside. It’s chilly out there. Watch your head, Changmin-sshi.” Park Umma usher us inside. “Now make yourself at home while I get you some ice, Yunho-sshi.” She disappeared at a corner. We were just about to make our way to the living room when...

 

“Umma! Where’s the Wii nunch-- whoa.” Yoochun nearly toppled over the stairs when he saw the three of us at the narrow foyer. He was in his typical lazy day attire: gray shirt and blue checkered boxers. He held a Wii remote on his right and an empty Wii game case of Mario vs. Sonic at the Olympic Games. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Good morning, Yoochun.” Jaejoong smiled as his grip on my waist tightened.

 

“Nice legs, hyung.” Changmin laughed. “Are you losing at track and field?”

 

Yoochun glared at the youngest then turned to me and Jaejoong. “What happen to Yunho hyung?” he asked, half-concerned.

 

“Your psycho neighbor, Johnny, happened.” Jaejoong answered. His hand traveled from my forearm to my hand. I shook him off but he probably thought I was asking for it.

 

“Slingshot? I knew I shouldn’t have given that to him for Christmas.” He looked down at his Wii remote.

 

“Let me show you how to win at track and field.” Changmin said out of nowhere and went upstairs. Yoochun let him follow him to his room. We heard the door close and the house fell silent. And I was alone at this narrow foyer with Jaejoong.

 

“Here’s the ice, boys. And here’s a clean towel. Just call me if you need anything.” Park Umma saved my life. Jaejoong took the blue ice pack and pressed it at the bridge of my nose while I held the towel under my nostrils. He was still way too close and our hands were starting to create moisture.

 

We thanked Park Umma and started to go up the stairs to Yoochun’s room. We passed by Sunmi’s room first. I caught a glimpse of the lavender walls, faint white curtains, a perfectly made pink bed and silk pillows. I smiled. “She’s so neat.” Jaejoong commented. “How does she put up with your apartment?”

 

“I guess she takes me not just for who I am but for who I’m not as well.” I just found myself replying.

 

We busted through Yoochun’s room in no time. We stumbled for few steps since Jaejoong just wouldn’t let me go.

 

“It’s the YunJae couple!” Changmin announced as the track and field games began on the screen. He lunged forward in preparation. When the screen said ‘go’, he shook his hands so hard that it looked like the remote was vibrating. Mario ran like mad.

 

Why is this guy still single?!

 

Jaejoong seemed to blush at the remark. I took this chance to slip away from his grip and move to the farthest corner of the room. I covered my face with the ice pack and the towel, muttering curses in my helium voice. Jaejoong sat on the edge of Yoochun’s unmade bed. I was pretty sure he was being attacked by his OCD.

 

Yoochun was in his black leather Lazy Boy, watching Changmin act like a total madman. “YES! You see that?!” Changmin raised his arms then pointed at Yoochun. Mario was first place. “Oh yeeAAhh!”

 

“I’m not doing your stupid technique. Effective... but still stupid.” Yoochun grabbed his Wii remote back. Silence filled the room for a few seconds.

 

“So. What are you guys here for? I bet it’s more than just Changmin’s desire to play videogames which, by the way, he only does when something’s up. So what is it.” Yoochun said after clearing his throat.

 

“Yoochun ah. I have to tell you something.” Jaejoong breathed.

 

“Not here.” Changmin grabbed the remote back from Yoochun. “Outside, hyung.”

 

Jaejoong signaled for Yoochun to follow him then the door slammed shut. I placed the ice pack and the towel on the armrest. I prepared for the worst. If Changmin doesn’t have any outward expression towards bad news, Yoochun is the complete opposite. He doesn’t keep the shock to himself... he lets it out amplified to the tenth degree.

 

Three minutes later, Yoochun busted the door open and hit the wall causing it to bounce back, nearly hitting Jaejoong. “I’m being serious.” Jaejoong said in a suicide attempt negotiator kind of way.

 

“Oh alright. Like you expect me to believe that you’re bi? Come on.” Yoochun said in laughter. “Is this some kind of sick joke you three came up with? I’m not falling for it. Who’s stupid enough to fall for it?! Even Junsu could see this isn’t for real.”

 

“It is true!” Jaejoong pressed.

 

“That you like Yunho hyung? Seriously? Even if it was true, why him? Why not me? Or Changmin? We’d obviously be more your type if you do have a thing for guys.” My future brother-in-law was still laughing as he spoke. Changmin shivered.

 

“It’s true, Yoochun-sshi. Jaejoong isn’t straight.” I entered. Yoochun turned to me and his smile faded. He frowned slightly but I continued. “Believe me.”

 

“I’d only believe you if he kissed you right now.” Yoochun sat on the edge of his bed. The look on his face meant to taunt Jaejoong to abide to his dare. I prayed that he wouldn’t give in.

 

Changmin stopped his game. “Whoa whoa whoa, wait! Do not go there. No. I’m not allowing it.” He came between the wide distance from my chair to Jaejoong’s spot. “Yoochun hyung. This is not a joke. He told me this himself. Sunmi knows. So does Junsu hyung and Jooeun nuna. Jaejoong hyung is bi. Live with it.”

 

I breathed a relieved sigh. I didn’t want to be the one to break that to him.

 

Yoochun fainted. By the way his eyes rolled back and by the thud on the carpet, I knew he did. Of course, the fact that he disappeared from the mattress and reappeared on the floor contributed to my conclusion. I let myself give in to how funny Yoochun looks.

 

“Omo!! Yoochun ah!” Jaejoong rushed to the unconscious body while Changmin bit on his fist to prevent himself from laughing harder.

 

“Man! Did you see his eyes roll back like that?!” Changmin roared out of hilarity.

 

“It’s not funny, you guys! He’s unconscious!” Jaejoong scolded us but we kept on laughing. Damn it, my stomach was starting to hurt!

 

Jaejoong was gently slapping Yoochun back to life. He looked genuinely concerned but that only added to the comedy of the entire situation. Plus, it’s not my first time seeing Yoochun faint. It just gets funnier everytime.

 

It wasn’t long until Jaejoong just gave up and dropped Yoochun to lie on the floor. Our laughter was just fading when the frozen body on the carpet twitched a couple of times. We looked at each other and the laugh fest was reignited.

 

I relished this moment. It was like being ten years old again.

 

~*~*~

 

It was finally Monday. Sunmi’s schedule was hectic so I had a lot of time

 

“Yunho!” Sunmi called upon spotting me from the double doors of her dance studio. She was making a bee line towards me, swerving through the crowded floor.

 

I was nervous. By God, was I nervous. I guess it was because it felt like I cheated on her with that kiss from Jaejoong. I wasn’t supposed to tell her that... but I wanted to. I felt like I had to. Though I was more sure she’d poke fun at it, I wasn’t 100% sure about it.

 

The closer she got to me, the more I felt sick and guilty. Why is she frowning like that? Does she know something?

 

“Ugh! You’re never gonna believe how many times I’ve been verbally violated by the dads and older brothers of the kids I was teaching!” she complained upon greeting me with a kiss on the cheek. “I’m really glad to see you but, what are you doing here?”

 

“Nothing. I just thought I’d give you a ride back to your dorm.” I smiled.

 

“I’m only a block away.” She raised her brow.

 

I panicked. “I know. I... didn’t want to make you walk in the cold. And I wanted to take you out for lunch.” I thought quickly.

 

“Okay.” She smiled. “Can Mitch come along?” She turned around and I followed her gaze. Mitch was making her way towards us when she waved  hello.

 

“Sure.” I agreed. With Mitch around, I wouldn’t be able to ‘share’ my little experience. Thank God.

 

“Hey, Yunnie Bear. What’s up?” Mitch raised her hand for a high five. I complied to her greeting and smiled.

 

“Stop it with the nicknames, ChiChi.” Sunmi playfully smacked her best friend’s .

 

Mitch let out a little cry. “The only person in this planet who calls me that is grandmother, Sunny Sunshine!” She was about to return Sunmi’s attack with the same action but Sunmi was able to dodge it. Mitch used her foot instead by crossing her shin over at Sunmi’s side.

 

I laughed at the two ‘sisters’. “Shall we, ladies?” I offered my arms to them. They went on either side of me and hooked their elbows on mine.

 

Minutes later, we were seated on the cushioned seats of the nearby Carl’s Jr. While Sunmi was at the counter ordering for me and Mitch, I scanned the place the way I scanned any other place I wasn’t familiar with.

 

“So, Jung Yunho... you’re a photographer.” Mitch placed her elbows on the table, looking very curious for my answer.

 

“Yes, Mitch-sshi. Why?” I answered and she smiled.

 

“So you take pictures of what?” she asked.

 

“I specialize in creative and gallery photography. But I sideline on fashion photography.” I replied.

 

Mitch Lee nodded. “So you take pictures?” she sounded even more interested. “Like all out, Playboy-o kind of or just FHM-Maxim kind of ?”

 

“N-n-no. Not . I did it for magazines. And... I don’t do it anymore.” I felt myself turning red.

 

“Why?” She tilted her head.

 

“I don’t like models.” I bit my lip. “They always flirt with the camera. They’re annoying.”

 

To be completely honest, I’m afraid of the friends of whoever I’m dating-- in this case, marrying. I need to make an impression on them because I’m sure that whatever I’m saying to them or doing around them will be analyzed, criticized, discussed and reported. I was always more afraid of meeting the friends than meeting the parents.

 

Alright, I’ve never met with any girl’s parents but Sunmi’s.

 

“They’re supposed to flirt with the camera. And maybe they’re flirting with you.” She grinned.

 

“Maybe.” I grinned.

 

“Sunmi takes a lot of pride about how perfect you are.” Mitch Lee’s unnatural amber eyes zeroed in on me. I couldn't help but feel flattered by her statement. “She says you notice a lot of things. Tiny details. So here's a quick test.”

 

I sat upright. “Go ahead.” I don’t know where this is going but I hope I get past this in peace. I’ve never been ‘quizzed’ before.

 

“Okay.” She cleared . “What color are my eyes? For real.”

 

 I thought hard and dug deep.

 

“The night I proposed to Sunmi, you bumped into me. That means you couldn’t see clearly... which means you weren’t wearing contacts. So...” I replied. “I have to say brown. A little lighter shade than Sunmi’s but not too light.”

 

“Impressive, Yunho-sshi.” She clapped rhythmically. “No one’s ever gotten that right. Not even my boyfriend.”

 

I paused in slight shock. “You have a boyfriend?” I tried to sound calm. Oh crap. Changmin’s going to kill me.

 

“Oh. Sorry. No, I don’t.” she laughed then her eyes glittered. “Why? Do you know someone?”

 

“Yes.” I smiled. “What do you think of Changmin?”

 

 “He was so hot! Like, super y!” Sunmi’s Maid of Honor squealed. “He told me he was going to manage his dad’s company in Korea. That must mean he’s über rich too. Oh my god! I’m gonna have my very own Junpyo!”

 

“He’s all yours.” I grinned trying not to throw up. Changmin? y? She got the rich part right. That’s just about it. Whatever it was girls saw in Changmin, I’d never know. He’d always be the manipulative, evil maknae of our group.

 

“AAAAAaaaaaaAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhHHH!” Mitch screamed, getting half the room’s attention. She reached over the table to hug me. “Thank you!”

 

Upon letting me go, she sat back down. She was wearing a wide smile that I could imagine the sides of her ripping. “I got to bond with him for two hours tops but I still wanna know more about him.” she said.

 

I cleared my throat. “Did he mention his dog?” I asked. Then I realized that it would probably turn her off if I told her the Hannah story. Well, it's too late for that. Sorry, maknae.

 

“Yeah, he did.” Mitch placed her elbows on the table. “That Hannah's a . Anyway. Anything else?”

 

I breathed a sigh of relief. “Did he mention that he lives with Jaejoong?”

 

Crap. What did I just say?!

 

“He seemed pretty disturbed when he told me that. Like he's been or something.” She laughed. “All I know right now is you're not cool with each other. You and Jaejoong.”

 

I swallowed hard. I shook beneath my jacket. I was scared as hell. “We're okay now.” I forced a smile.

 

“What have you guys been talking about?” Sunmi came in our box with our food. She sat next to Mitch leaving my side all to myself. Her eyes looked intrigued. I was burning up. I felt like I was going to die.

 

“Changmin.” Mitch beamed at her best friend.

 

“Really?!” Sunmi exclaimed.

 

“He's setting me up. Can you believe it?” the crazed girl continued. “I'll tell you about it later. Let's hear how Yunho and Jaejoong made up.”

 

Hell no!

 

“Uhhh. We made up. The end.” I ate a fry trying to use it as an excuse not to talk.

 

“How?” Sunmi sipped on her soda.

 

“He…” I adjusted my position. “…came to the motel and apologized. I forgave him.”

 

The two girls stared at me. Sunmi nodded for me to elaborate. Come on! Why is she doing this? She knows about Jaejoong's 'secret'! What is she trying to do?

 

I couldn't take it anymore.

 

“Jaejoong's biual, right?” I began. I was surprised that Mitch didn't react shocked. Sunmi had already told her? Of course, she has. They're best friends. “He told me that. I freaked out. Because... I found out the hard way.”

 

I took a breath. Here it goes...

 

“He kissed me.”

 

Sunmi and Mitch covered their mouths, coughing on whatever was in it. I think I almost killed both of them. It took them a while to be normal again.

 

“He what?” Sunmi demanded with teary eyes from all the choking.

 

“Please don't make me say it again.” I murmured.

 

“He kissed you. A guy? Jaejoong. He kissed you??” Mitch pressed.

 

“Oh my God.” Sunmi's voice shook. Of laughter or sadness, I didn't know. I was afraid either way.

 

“He wasn't being an to get you. He was being an to get me.” I concluded for her. I kept my head low so as not to see her.

 

“I already know that but, how was it? Soft lips, huh? Honest to God, whenever I made out with him it was like kissing a girl.” Sunmi proudly said. No sarcasm in her tone. No sob. Nothing. And it bothered me that she was talking about kissing a guy who kissed me too.

 

I looked up at her and Mitch. She was stifling a laugh while her best friend was uncontrollably shaking with joy.

 

“You knew that he had a thing for me?” I exclaimed. She nodded. “And you're not upset that he kissed me?” She shook her head and smiled.

 

I knew it. She's not going to let me live it down forever.

 

“Why would I be?” Sunmi's grin widened.

 

“Props to you, dude. Not only are you marrying the hottest girl on the planet, you also liplocked with the iest man alive.” Mitch chuckled.

 

I looked at the two girls before me and smiled. I was relieved. And I was catching a glimpse of how the rest of my life would be like from now on. Just like the way I'd be inseparable with Jaejoong, Junsu, Yoochun and Changmin, Sunmi will never be without Mitch. I didn't mind that at all.

 

Friends, like the love of your life, are forever.