A secret with Summer

Not Everything is About Summer

Mr. and Mrs. Kim look at him with amusement, making him wonder what this couple doing there. In prompt, he walks to the table and bows to the guests and his parents politely.

"What a handsome boy you got, Mr. President and Representative. Park." Mr. Kim comments and his parents nods proudly. Chanyeol vows slightly this time as he sits beside his father, who's at the center seat.

"Is he Park Chanyeol?" The foreigner Mrs. Kim says it with a strange and constricted-like accent. Chanyeol understands the surprise on their faces because of the huge difference with his physique from the last time they met to this moment. He smiles reservedly at the pair.

"Yes, I'm Park Chanyeol, uncle and auntie. Both of you almost haven't change at all."

The couple looks at each other and chuckles distinctly, specially the lady who does it with delight.

"Where's Summer by the way?" Seeing the empty space beside Mr. Kim, Chanyeol is urged to ask that. The couple seems to achieve fun with every action or word Chanyeol does.

"It's nice that you do remember my daughter." Mr. Kim says, composed and has a small smile on his face.

"Of course." Chanyeol says it with moderate confidence, hiding the truth that he's bashful right now. "She's my childhood friend and now my classmate."

"Friend?" Mr. Kim says and follows it with a hearty laugh not only from him but also from the other adults  — Chanyeol feels out of place in this dinner. Other than the laughter, this is the only time he comes aware of the piano playing in the background. He follows the music, turning his head to his right and sees the black haired Summer, who's wearing a white and pink fusion hanbok, acts as the pianist for the night. Chanyeol is mesmerized by her beautiful performance. She is indeed a talented individual.

"Dvořák's Symphony No. 9." Chanyeol gasps as soon as he realizes saying the title loudly.

"It seems your boy also has knowledge in music." Mr. Kim says.

"Indeed, why don't you show how knowledgeable you are, son?" With his mother’s simple gesture of instruction; the composed teen nods and stands from his seat. He can hear the sound of his leather shoes as he walks forward to Summer, although the music is loudly playing in the background. Maybe due to his nervousness of having dinner with guests and introduced to them as the President’s son for the first time.

Sensing his presence, Summer glances up on him and greets him with a radiant smile. “Wow! Your hair.”

Chanyeol feels a little shy, touching his now-straight-jet-black-hair and the culprit will be his attendant Juhyun. “Yes.” He giggles lightly. “May I join you?”

The girl happily nods and gives him space. They start playing together.

Chanyeol quickly catches up with Summer’s tempo while the adults clap their hands to their impressive teamwork.

“Not only they play nice, they also look good together.” Hearing that comment from Mrs. Kim, Chanyeol presses a wrong key. Summer looks at him and gives him an assuring beam to move on.

As Chanyeol and Summer play the piano in the background, the adults resume their conversation. The boy tries to multi-task by listening to them and works his finger to the musical keys without making any fault.

“Does Summer Kim have a Korean name?” His mother asks.

“We didn’t give her one, Madam, but we can call her Yeorum since that’s the translation of her name.” Chanyeol presses the wrong key again, remembering his friend Shen because that’s her first name.

“Don’t worry, Chanyeol, we’re almost done.” Nodding at her, Chanyeol rests his hands to his lap and allows Summer to play the last notes. Overall their joint performance goes pretty well.

The adults give an opera-like applause, and at the same time, Chanyeol and Summer rise and bow at them. The President signals them to join in the table with his hand which the kids willingly do. Chanyeol returns sitting beside his father and Summer is across him.

“That’s an excellent duet, Chanyeol, Summer. I hope I can hear more from you in the future.” Chanyeol bows his head in acknowledgement to his father’s comment and so as Summer.

Later, the food is dined in front of them and the adults talk harmoniously about their children and politics within the dinner. This is the usual moment when Chanyeol’s brain shut down and to make him distracted, he glances at his friend and smiles with her.

The desserts then are served after the servants clean the main course. Chanyeol never sees those kinds of pastries and sweets before. He hears a chuckle coming from his mother, staring at her. The woman must have notice the face he has on.

“The Kims brought these German delicacies themselves for us.” His mother explains then looks at their guests. “My son here has a sweet tooth.”

“Our Summer too.” Mrs. Kim says. They laugh once more before a dead silence enters the dining hall.

“Son.” Yi Hong says breaking the stillness of the room. “It’s about time to tell you what this dinner is for.”

“I know, Mama.” Chanyeol says with seriousness on his tone. From the time he entered the place and saw the Kim family, he could partially read the situation he was in. Performing with Summer adds to his conclusion.

“Good.” Smirking, his mother simply comments. “Weeks ago, we gave you time to think about what we said to you, which has run out today. It will be a shame to our family if we keep the Kims waiting for your decision. So, your father and I agreed to officially introduce Summer Kim as an addition to our family in this gathering. Park Chanyeol, we picked her as your bride.”

“No way!” Chanyeol stands after he finally hears what he has been expecting. Although he knew the outcome, it still hits him hard. Everyone seems surprised of his reaction and he cannot turn it back anymore. He feels dizzy. He will absolutely shut down soon.

“Park Chanyeol.” He turns his fidgeting focus to his mother, who has been staring him with strictness. “I’m sorry, folks. My boy’s action is truly inappropriate.”

“It’s alright, Representative Park.” Mr. Kim says. “I understand that he doesn’t mean to offend us.”

“Please excuse us, my son and I need to talk somewhere private.” Summer’s parents nod. “My love, I’ll leave them to you.”

Once his mother gets off from her chair, Chanyeol is obliged to be after her and leave the room. Walking the corridors, the boy reflects to his action tonight. Unintentionally, he disgraces his family but he can’t just agree to their decision. His long-term life goals are at stake.

His mother brings him to the reception center’s biggest conference room. Chanyeol is about to sit on one of the chairs but his mother firm voice that echoes around there alarms him.

“No one tells you to sit, Park Chanyeol.” His mother standing calmly across him yet her intimidating aura diffuses from her body. He freezes from his position and stares at the woman with widen eyes. “Your father and I got married when I was 17 and he was 16, arranged by our parents and the elders from our clan. We embraced it wholeheartedly because we are taught of our tradition that we’re respecting with all our lives. But, why are you acting like an uneducated child?”

Chanyeol bends his head and softly says, “I’m sorry, Mama.”

“I don’t need you’re apology.” She says sternly. “You already tainted your parents — no, the whole clan’s reputation. What I want to hear from you is your explanation on why you’re prolonging this arrangement. Is it because of what you said before? The one you love? Isn’t that Summer Kim?”

Chanyeol admits he liked Summer back when he is younger but he realizes it’s nothing more than admiration to her. He shakes his head.

“I’m confused though.” The boy says while his eyes glued on the table. “I thought Mixed Bloods have no place in our family. Summer is half German – half Korean. Why are you setting me up to her?”

His mother scoffs. “Summer Kim may be mixed blood but she fits the standards of being a Yi.”

“That’s it?” Yi Hong’s answer is not enough.

Park Chanyeol, how dare you talk back like that?” Chanyeol is taken aback and becomes stiff to his spot. As the dead air comes between them, Chanyeol’s mother can only sigh.

“With the way you think and act at this point, we couldn’t tell you yet the other reason why Summer Kim is your bride. For now, you go to your room and reflect to your sin.” His mother walks out of that place, leaving him alone.

 

✿✿✿

 

The tension from his confrontation with his mother lingers within him even until he reaches his bedroom. He sits on the foot of the bed and releases a deep breath. Unconsciously, he turns his head to his side, eyes fall looking at his ringed finger. He then turns his view to the clock on the bedside and reads the time is passed eleven in the evening. He then thinks about Kris and wonders if he is sleeping right now. Chanyeol takes his phone out of his pants’ pocket, finding his husband on his contacts, and clicks the message button beside his number.

Kris, sorry if I couldn’t go home tonight and I don’t know when I’ll return. I hope you take care of yourself. I love y— backspace – backspace - and more backspace. What on earth is he thinking? Why is he confessing in this instance after his engagement is recently announced? Does he really… really have that feeling for Kris though? He doesn’t know himself. This is not the right time to be in-love and maybe his situation makes him go nuts.

He changes the last part if his text with Goodnight instead. The moment he sends the message, there is someone knocking on his door. He keeps his phone into his pocket again and finds out who visits at this time.

“Good evening, Chanyeol.” Summer wearing baby pink pajama greets him holding a glass bowl of sweets in her arms. “Can I come in?”

Chanyeol does not have a cruel heart to refuse this angelic looking girl so he nods. “Uh… sure.”

The girl giggles once she gets the access to his room and sits to his bed. She pats the space besides her offering it to Chanyeol.

“What are you still doing here?” He asks, looking the bowl she’s holding.

“I’ll be living here with you from now on.” She cheerfully replies.

“You got to be kidding me.”

“I’m serious.” Her face is not telling lies and what Chanyeol can only do is blink. “Here, I brought you Dominosteine.”

“D-dominos-what?” She chuckles to his puzzlement.

“Dominostein is a German candy and one of my favorites. Too bad you didn’t have the chance to eat these with us earlier in the dinner.” She gets one and bites it appealing Chanyeol to grab a piece of the chocolate-coated food.

“I’m sorry by the way.” Summer shakes her head while chewing the candy.

“You did nothing wrong, Chanyeol.” She says in a muffled voice. “I’m surprised of this sudden arrangement too, but thinking I’ll be with someone I’m so~ comfortable with, it loosens my hesitation to agree.” Summer is always as optimistic as she can be. “Can’t you see how fun it will be that we’re gonna be together?”

 

Chanyeol may have like Summer in his grade school but he never imagines ending up with the said girl. Visualizing that, he sees his grownup self along Summer, walking hand in hand on the flower fields. Behind them, Chanyeol Jr. is running excitedly and calls them Mommy and Daddy. They are one happy family. Summer carries the boy and turns around and around while both of them are laughing. The adult Chanyeol is fond to see his wife and child but his eyes lock to something hiding behind a tree. His vision zooms in to that direction and a glaring Kris appears.

 

“Chanyeol?” The boy snaps back to reality and sees the worry on Summer’s face. He awkwardly laughs, tossing the candy into his mouth, and scratches his head. The girl’s eyes points to his hand that is scratching, he takes it away from his hair, and learns she’s looking at his ring. “I’ve notice you’re always wearing that ring since I came back here. That seems important to you.”

Important? Chanyeol doesn’t have a choice but to have it in his hand since he cannot take it off. But thinking about the significance of it, the ring reminds him that he has a secret bond with Kris. And if the blond boy discovers Chanyeol and Summer’s engagement, the contract between them won’t simply be over, Kris will also curse him to death.

“I bought this myself with no particular reason.” He shrugs and Summer seems convince.

“Alright.” The girl rests the dominosteine on the bed, hops off of there and stretches her arms upward, Chanyeol following her movement with his eyes. “We have school tomorrow so I guess this will be all for tonight. Thank you for letting me in, Chanyeol.” She kisses the boy on his cheek and leaves the room.

Chanyeol touches his cheek, descending to bed and faces the ceiling. He lifts his hand where the ring is placed. Out of his curiosity, he attempts to take the ring off of his finger and unpredictably, the jewelry really twisted off from him. How did it happen?

The stubborn ring finally free his finger, however, he feels a little regret in removing it.

 

✿✿✿

 

The next morning…

 

Chanyeol is looking outside the car’s window as they travel to school. Yesterday, there are heaps of things happen but the last night’s dinner marks in his mind. He hears a melodious hum beside him so turns his head to that person. Summer is reading a music book, drumming her free hand’s fingers on the air. She notices Chanyeol is looking at her so she stretches her lips with her sunny smile.

“Did you sleep well, Chanyeol?” Chanyeol didn’t but he still nods. The girl resumes reading the book in her hand.

Resting his back on the car’s couch, he is halfhearted to ask something to Summer, yet he needs to ask it so…

“Summer.” The girl hums in response. “Can you do me a favor?”

“Sure.” Summer says without taking her sight off the book.

“Can you keep our engagement a secret — to anyone — especially to Kris?” Summer looks at him skeptically while he gulps to his request.

“But,” there’s a curve on her lips but overall her face shows brooding, “Kris is our friend.”

“He is but I don’t want him to feel different with us.” Summer sighs heavily but then nods. Chanyeol feels relief returning his view to the car’s window again.

 

The car drops them off, a few blocks away from their school, and they walk the remaining distance. As they reach the gate, they see other students jam in front of it like there is a commotion going on inside. Summer holds his hand tightly and pulls him forward the entrance. Jung Yonghwa is hysterically walking after a pair of adults that must be his parents.

Chanyeol hears the students beside them talking about what happens to him.

“The government raided his father’s factory last night and found out that it was running illegally.” One of the youngsters says.

“And due to the issues approaching them, I think he couldn’t stay in this school anymore.” Another one says.

Chanyeol, who has thought he will be the center of the gossip in school this morning, is stunned to the incident going on in front of him. The karma escalates quickly from shaming him yesterday in the Circle of Legends’ meeting.

“Serves him right, he’s so cocky and mean.” One of the students says and their group laughs mockingly.

When that senior passes the gate, he glares at the students and before his eyes find Chanyeol, Summer covers the said boy with her back. Yonghwa gets inside the car and leaves everyone behind.

 

✿✿✿

 

A teacher calls the attention of all the students who are all standing in front of the gate and tells them to get inside. Kris is at the doorway of the main building and simply observing the occurrence about Yonghwa. He is happy as well with that senior’s ending.

The teens do what their teacher says and resume entering the school. Some of these kids are giggling and greet the Student Council’s President. One of the crowd stops in his front for a while, he has black bowl-cut hair and staring at him with affection. He is the same boy Kris used to play with in the park, but he is now thin and his beautiful face is fully viewed unlike before. The blond wants to embrace him, right there, but he can’t since they are in public.

Both getting inside the main school building, another black-haired person is walking before them. Kris knows it’s Summer. While everyone else is busy heading to their assigned classrooms, he grasps the hand of the other boy and entwines it with his. Chanyeol shyly smiles and so does Kris.

 

✿✿✿

 

“Chanyeol, are you doing something right now?” Kris and Chanyeol, who are sitting on their seats, exchange look at each other before the boy that’s asked shakes his head. “Can you help us a bit?”

Under the table, Kris squeezes Chanyeol’s hand. “I’m sorry but Park Chanyeol is solely working for me.

“Kris, don’t be selfish.” Summer is the one who’s asking help and she pouts at the president. “He is not your servant. So, can you please let him help the other members of your team too?”

Trying to hide his upset, Kris sighs. “Fine.” He loosens Chanyeol’s hand from his and the boy stands proceeding to their childhood friend and the vice president. Summer instructs him what to do and they enthusiastically work together.

 

After a few minutes, Kris cannot take their bubbly image. He rises from his desk and walks out of his office.

 

To be continued…