Summer Stray

Not Everything is About Summer

I'm going to New York

 

Chanyeol sees the piece of torn paper Kris has left him beside his pillow and he's been looking at it absentmindedly since the moment he had woke up.

And, he showed the same expression when he went home welcomed by a mountain of baggage, in various colors and shapes, sitting in front of the gate.

"Young master is back! Young master is back!" Chanyeol hears the people who’re inside the house shouting what most of them called him like there is a catastrophe going on. Chanyeol remains stationary beside the electric post, blinking with outstanding wonder.

Maybe half a minute later, the mother of the house comes out to meet him, the gate dividing them from each other. The other members of the family are present except the father and they are looking at him from the window and Mrs. Shen with curious eyes.

Shen is in front of her brothers and the only one hysteric of the situation as she bangs her palm that almost breaks the glasses of their window. Her siblings hold her limbs and take her away from there so she won't cause any damage to their property.

"My apology, young master." Chanyeol transfers his attention to the woman, who is wearing a tacky yellow apron over her pink faded dress. She seems very sorry. "We received an instruction from the blue house to... umm..." She gulps. "...bring all your stuff here and not let you inside our property anymore."

Chanyeol remains calm after the news displaying his noble side. Yet, the bewilderment still loiters in him as he nods sluggishly.

"I understand how despicable this is, young master, but our family will be thrown to the cold street if we don't obey the officials." Mrs. Shen looks pleading to Chanyeol to believe her in which the boy hints the acceptance by giving a small smile on his lips.

"That's alright, auntie." He says politely. "I'm gonna look for a place to stay first so please keep my luggage for me. I cannot bring them all while I'm on search."

"I don't think it will be a big deal if you come inside for a quick wash and change with a new set of clothes, young master." The woman hesitantly suggests. "You've been wearing your uniform since yesterday. By the way, are you able to have enough sleep at your sick friend's house?"

Nodding, Chanyeol gains an access to the residence as Mrs. Shen opens the gate for him and let him through.

"How is he?"

As they enter the house, Chanyeol leading the way, the teen is having a second thought if he shall tell that Kris left him before he becomes aware of it. He advised this household about his childhood friend's condition last night and funny if that's the reason why he's going to be kicked out of there — because mommy doesn't want his mixed-blood friends. Also, she may have found out that her son is starting to have a contact with one of them again.

With his mother's government position, she will easily has the grasp of the happenings in his life, so it's really possible this is what it abruptly resulted to.

 

"Shoot." He stops and Mrs. Shen leads the way this time. If Yi Hong knows everything about him, she may know Chanyeol's recently ended relationship.

"Is something wrong?" Chanyeol shakes his head at the mother with a worried smile.

“Nothing, my friend is doing fine… now.” Dumbfound attacks him when he turns his head to the entrance of living room while passing there and sees a sitting Shen Yeorum who has widen eyes, lips sealed with a duct tape and wearing a straitjacket that restrains her arms to her torso. Chanyeol cannot remember the family owns a straitjacket.

“Chanyeol!” The girl manages to say with her muffled voice under the tape. It’s honestly incomprehensible but it sounds like that.

Shen’s brothers are alarm and block more with their overlapping hands. Chanyeol feels pity.

“Young master, it will be best if you proceed to the bathroom immediately.” One of boys coldly suggests, who seems to be the oldest, as they notice Chanyeol’s eyes are watching them.

“I know we’re being rude but please consider our family to this situation and leave.” Another one says in the same manner. They politely speak with him but they are basically shooing him away that as if they haven’t spent years living with the boy in a single roof.

Chanyeol feels arrows strike to his front and back after this receiving rejection. Nodding, he moves around and tries to hide his watery eyes from them.

 

✿✿✿

 

What shall he do now?

 

Walking the vast streets in Gangnam with his stout backpack in the middle of the hot afternoon, Chanyeol is clueless of where to go. The only thing he knows is that he’ll be passing out from the heatstroke soon. It is a bad decision to wear layers of shirts in this weather but he is just being practical after moving out.

He stands in front of the convenient store, not stepping a foot in the entrance but simply stares at it.  The thirst is bugging him even from the start of his wandering yet he does not want to buy a drink. He left his cards in Shen’s house, thinking they’ll be unusable because his mother possibly requests to put a block on them. With solely cash to use, which not quite that big, he is saving them for more important items.

And to not exhaust the money he has, Chanyeol needs to find a job and a permanent place to stay.

“Oh right.” He smiles to himself as an idea comes to his mind and eventually enters the establishment.

After a few moments, he goes out from there with a frowning face. The manager unfortunately declines his application to be a crew. But, it does not stop him from looking for a job which hours later of walking here and there, he unanimously gets an unsuccessful result.

 

By the end of the day, the optimism inside Chanyeol drains and he is also at the peak of fatigued. Sitting at the sidewalk, he desires to rest right at this point, imagining his fluffy bed and Kris’. Kris’? Since his childhood friend is overseas and he does not know if Kris is still going back, he is tempted to stay there for a while but integrity haunts him. It is shameful to send Kris a message about his thought. He cannot do that. He cannot absolutely do that.

Chanyeol stands from the floor, tapping the dirt on his . He heads further into the city and finds a cheap place to stay for the night: a love hotel.

 

✿✿✿

 

As soon as the sun rises, Chanyeol is already up and ready for another job-hunt. But just like yesterday, no one wants to accept him which is getting annoying. He cannot help to have a speculation that this must be his mother’s doing. Yi Hong may have set this up so Chanyeol, in due course, will give up.

Shaking his head with a grumpy face, Chanyeol will not allow fate to favor his mother.

And luckily, before the sun will leave the sky again, he is not doomed after all.

 

“I don’t want to see your face again!”

“Oh, sure!”

While walking a dark alley that afternoon, Chanyeol encounters two arguing men in front of a small and old-looking bar. The one disappears in the scene and the other one with black shades on his eyes remains standing at the door of the pub. There is a huge black sign with red lettering on top of the entrance saying ‘El Dorado’.

He spits on the floor and curses. “What an ungrateful son of a ‘beep’ he is.” This person seems to notice Chanyeol looking at him idly that he talks to him as if the boy is his companion. “Now, I’m short of staffs here.”

“Do you need a hand?” Before Chanyeol can think of what he asks, it’s too late. A wide menacing grin forms on the man’s lips. He suddenly feels shiver even in the hot summer day due to it and wants to back away.

The man slightly puts his shade down the bridge of his nose to properly scan the boy.

“Hmm, you look too young for the job.” Yes, he can flee \(^O^)/ “But…” Oh, guess not (ToT) “your height will fix it. Come on let’s talk about the deal.”

The man spreads one of his arms to the younger male and hooks it around his shoulder. Chanyeol can see the difference between their skin tones as he looks the tan hand gripping his rosy white arms while walking their path inside the bar.

 

✿✿✿

 

It seems Chanyeol meets a good man.

 

He learns that this person, who is a man in his 30’s, introduces himself as Mr. Mong and the owner of the bar. Presented with a small meal and orange juice, Chanyeol tells a brief summary of his case without revealing his real identity as the president’s son to him. The man quickly feels pity on the boy so he shares as well the reason why he and the previous guy fought. The teen is sitting in the lunch counter as he hungrily devours his omelette while the other is on the opposite side standing and observing him.

While Chanyeol is chomping the egg, his eyes roam the little space of that old English style pub, which furniture and surface cover with red and brown. The place is a bit dusty but the glassware behind the ahjusshi sparkles maybe due to the sunlight peering through the window. It is the only two of them in there and the man explains the bar usually operates at night.

“How could your parents kick you out just because they didn’t like who you’re dating with?” Chanyeol returns his attention to the ahjusshi, who is scowling at his story. “Is she a bad girl?”

The teen did not tell him that Min is a boy and analyzing the question, yes, Min can be considered bad in the way he ended their relationship. And yet, sipping his drink, Chanyeol shakes his head.

“Have your parents realized how important you are, you can stay here if you want.”

“Really?” Chanyeol cannot hide his happiness saying it in an excited tone.

The man nods. “The attic is vacant. You just need a bit of clean up and it’s good.”

Chanyeol swallows and blinks, holding both hands of the older male. “Thank you so much, ahjusshi.”

“No problem.” Mr. Mong chuckles.

 

✿✿✿

 

Chanyeol initially thought the man is scary but it is different now as time passes by. At 5 o’clock, the people start coming in the bar and the other staffs as well. One is a bartender and two other are waiters. Chanyeol shall start working too but they have a problem with his uniform — the ends are too short for him. Good thing he brought his school uniform with him. He wears his white shirt and black pants instead. Mr. Mong promise to have a set for him tomorrow.

Everyone is nice and supportive to him, cheering his first day for the job. The nervousness he feels before is gone. He wonders why that previous guy leaves such amazing atmosphere.

It is a tiring night but worth it.

Chanyeol cleans the attic and puts the sheets and blankets Mr. Mong lent him then lies to rest. It is his first time to sleep in such a filthy-and-poor-looking place, most importantly in a hard wooden floor, but he has no choice. Tucking himself inside the blanket, Chanyeol falls asleep.

 

✿✿✿

 

Chanyeol wakes up feeling the pain at his back. Honestly, he was unable to rest well because he sensed someone was watching him last night. He tried to ignore it but he could not ignore it at all. He changed position every minute and in the end, covered his body with the blanket up to his head.

But, the security from the sheet is not enough as he finds himself exposed, the blanket and even his sweatpants are removed from him. He sees them below near his toes. His boxers are still hugging his thigh but he feels violated. There is something strange going on.

 

✿✿✿

 

The rest of the day is pretty disturbing too — or so he thought. The ahjusshi is too touchy today. It is amusing that he prepares Chanyeol a breakfast (although it’s already noon) but his sudden petting of the younger male’s hair while he’s eating is alarming. Mr. Mong compliments every single physical feature the teen has like courting him. Chanyeol cannot take this.

“Your uniform arrives this morning. Let’s fit it to you.” Chanyeol pauses from completely standing up from his seat and the man uses it to pet his head again. This is really irritating.

 

Mr. Mong pleads to the boy when Chanyeol locks himself to the toilet as he fits his uniform.

“Come on, Chanyeol, let me see how you look like. We’re both men.” Chanyeol rolls his eyes checking if he closes all the buttons of his clothes.

He is uneasy to open the door because the ahjusshi is starting to be suspicious.  Sighing, he turns the knob to get out of there and Mr. Mong with a creepy smile appears in front of him.

“You look great!” The older male slides his hand to the length of Chanyeol’s arm and to his back. The boy flinches at the touch.

“Thanks, ahehehe.” Chanyeol awkwardly says, scratching his cheek with his finger. “I should start working now… I guess.”

He swiftly walks away and prepares the tables and the chairs. Since then, Mr. Mong is stuck sitting behind the counter but eyes still glued staring at him.

 

The night is done without any single occurrence, maybe Chanyeol is purely paranoid.

He sleeps again in the hard cold floor and makeshift bed.

 

✿✿✿

 

The next day, Chanyeol is petrified to see his all his undies vanished inside his bag in a span of one night. There’s only one person living with him in the pub but he is embarrassed to ask about it. What if he simply forgets them in Shens’ house? He cannot point Mr. Mong as the culprit since he has no evidence. Luckily, Chanyeol washes his previously used boxers and hangs them at the…hell no! The window is all clear with any hanging underwear. This is not good.

 

✿✿✿

 

For the rest of the day, Chanyeol feels uncomfortable doing his job. He has something underneath his pants — although he washed his last boxers earlier and it’s clean — his missing ones bother him.

 Mr. Mong notices his gloominess so he decides to have the boy rest for the night, giving him a pat on his .

As soon as Chanyeol lies on the attic floor, he succumbs to his dreamland.

 

✿✿✿

 

However…

 

In the midst of going deep to his unconsciousness, Chanyeol goes back to reality when he feels someone is on top of him, pinning his wrists on his sides and something wet the side of his neck. He instantly peels his eyes open.

“Ahhh… Mr. Mong!” Chanyeol sees the man smirks even in the dim lighting. “W-what are you doing? Get off of me!”

Heh.” The man holds the younger tighter like he does not want to let go off him ever again.

“Let…go!” Chanyeol struggles but successful to break free with a strike of his knee to the ahjusshi’s abdomen.

He hastily gets his backpack from the floor and about to get out but the recovering Mr. Mong crawls and captures his ankle that makes him stumble onto the ground.

“You cannot get away from me!” The man terrifyingly says like there’s a demon or monster possessed him.

Chanyeol rises, maneuvers in rotating his body, which loses the hold, and kicks Mr. Mong on his jaw. The man groans in pain. Chanyeol thinks the older will not stop unless he’ll beat him to pulp, so the teen lifts him from the floor and punches his face. The man looks awful after several hits.

“Tell me.” Chanyeol grabs his collar harshly. “Did the guy whom I replace leave because you’re like this?” The man simply scoffs so Chanyeol punches him once more. “Answer me!”

“He’s my lover!” Sobbing, he finally spills out. “I thought if I force myself to you, you’ll be mine like what I did to him.”

“Dream on!” Chanyeol’s fist flies on his face and this must be the last because he really needs to go. Mr. Mong’s pathetic body plunges on the ground. “Not everyone will fall to your trap, especially, me. Be thankful I stop you because you’ll meet death if you continue this.”

Chanyeol slings his bag to his back and gets out of the room  — out of the El Dorado.

 

After a few meters of walking, Chanyeol gives in to his emotion and tiredness. Kneeling down the dusty floor, he cries pitifully in the middle of the street while the moon is above watching him. He shudders not because of the cold night but the terror of almost getting molested. He can still feel the lips and the touches that linger to his neck and arms. He feels so disgusted.

Now, he is back to zero. He’s uncertain where to go again.

There is a place that comes to his mind where he can stay, but the owner is unlikely not going back anymore.

Seeing the cats passing the street, he is more like them at this point.

 

✿✿✿

 

Kris is back to Seoul after days of spending time with his folks from his homeland. He should never been there because they are just upsetting him.

Walking the corridor to his apartment, the boy agapes to the person, who is sitting on the carpeted floor beside his door, hugging his legs and buries his face on top of his legs. With the curly brown locks, Kris knows who this boy is.

“Chanyeol, hey... what are you… what are you doing here?” The boy lifts his face, revealing Kris’ assumption is true.

“Krease?”

 

To be continued…

 

A/N:

If I publish a back-to-back update, can you give me a feedback of each chapter?