When I'm Sure

Vampire Girls and Playboys

            “Wouldn’t it be great if you two became friends?” Chanyeol said enthusiastically, waving his sandwich in the air, gesturing toward Songmi and me.

            “Why?” I asked.

            “Well, it would be great if my #1 rival and my #1 girl…” He noted my glare before continuing.  “Acquaintance...could get to know each other?”

            SMOOTH.  NO IDIOT WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THAT.  But glancing over at Songmi, who seemed to have hearts in her eyes, I decided that she wasn’t suspicious at all.

            “Songmi’s always alone in class,” Chanyeol added.

            Songmi cleared .  “For your information, Park Chanyeol, I’m not always alone--”

            “And Miss Vampire never wants to invite her friends over to our apartment, so I’m beginning to worry that I’ll never meet any of her friends.”

            “Hold on,” Songmi said, “did you just say ‘our apartment’?”

            “Haha, did I?” Chanyeol laughed nervously after I glared daggers at him.  “What I meant by that was the apartment that I share with Baekhyun.”

            I looked at Baekhyun, who also looked like he wanted to strangle Chanyeol at that moment.

            “I didn’t know you were close enough with any girl that you would invite her over to your apartment.”

            “Eunbyul is...Jongin’s cousin,” Chanyeol continued.

            YOU IDIOT.  YOU’RE JUST DRAGGING EVERYONE DOWN WITH YOU!

            “Cousin?” Songmi turned to Jongin, who, in fact, also looked like he wanted to strangle Chanyeol.  “Ah, I see.  So that’s why she’s been hanging around you guys lately.”

            Why is she acting like she knows them?

            “But if she’s your cousin, why is she only hanging out with you guys now?”

            I jumped in.  “I pretend not to know them in school so that their fangirls don’t kill me.”  Well, it’s basically the truth.

            “Well,” Baekhyun said, “As much as we’d love to continue talking to you, Songmi, we’ve really got to return to Gangnam now.” He stood up, and the rest of us followed.

            “Thank you for letting me eat with you all.” Songmi grinned.  “And it was nice meeting you, Eunbyul.”

            “Thanks,” I replied, draping my tank top over my shoulder.

            The guys gathered up the supplies, and as we turned to go, I felt someone pull on my arm. 

            “Wait.”

            I turned.  “Yes?”

            “Stay away from Chanyeol.” Songmi glared.

            I scoffed.  “What if I can’t?”

            “Yah, I’m ranked second in our grade.  You have to listen to me--”

            “No offense,” I replied, “but you have no right over who I meet and when I meet them.” I turned around.  “And why do you care so much about Chanyeol anyway?”

            “Isn’t it obvious?” She replied, her tone suddenly shifting.  “I...like him.”

            “Look,” I said.  “If life were fair, I would consider it.  Not for your benefit, but for mine.”  Chanyeol and the others were waving from the car, and I took that as my cue.  “But life isn’t fair.  I gotta go.”

            Running up to the car, I quickly put on my tank top before hopping in.

            “Aw,” Chanyeol said.  “Why’d you put it back on?  Your swimsuit was really y.”

            “LISTEN YOU,” I grumbled, trying not to strangle him.  “Because of your lies, our secret is in danger.”

            “What secret?” he asked, putting the car into reverse.

            “The one about our marriage?”

            He sighed.  “Miss Vampire, why were we keeping it a secret again?”

            “BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO DIE?”

            “You wouldn’t die,” he replied.  “I’d protect you.”

            “If your protection skills are as good as your soccer skills, I’d better prepare my grave.”

            “Yah, I’m the best at soccer.”

            “ANYWAY,” I said.  “You told her that you were living with Baekhyun and that I was Jongin’s cousin.”

            “Well, if we weren’t keeping secrets, I wouldn’t have had to tell those lies.”

            “Um?” Baekhyun said.  “Are you two okay?”

            “I don’t want to keep it a secret, Eunbyul,” Chanyeol whined.  “What if some other guys falls for you and sweeps you off your feet in the meantime?”

            “Like THAT would happen.”

            “Oh yeah?” He frowned.  “What about that Jin guy?”

            Baekhyun burst out laughing.  “You still haven’t told him?”

            I shook my head with a smile, watching in the rearview mirror as Baekhyun whispered to the other guys, who also started to laugh.

            “When can we tell everyone?” Chanyeol asked.

            “When I’m sure.”  When I’m sure that you like me as much as I’m starting to like you.

            He pouted.  “What does that mean?”

            “Secret.” I closed my eyes, got comfortable in the seat, and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

 

<:>

 

            Wow, this feels nice.  Like I’m wrapped in a really warm blanket or something.  Opening one eye, I was surprised to find myself staring at someone’s neck.

            “Oh, you’re awake?” Chanyeol asked.

            My face turned red.  “W-Why--”

            “I dropped everyone off.  You were still sleeping when we came back, and I didn’t want to wake you up.  Wow, you’re so light.  It’s like you only drink blood or something, Miss Vampire.”

            “Yah.  You can let me go now.”

            “Oh...but what if I don’t want to?”

            I glared, and he sighed, gently letting me go.  We got into the elevator.

            “Chanyeol?”

            “Hm?”

            “I…”

            “What is it?” he asked.

            “...Nothing.  Forget it.”

            “Eunbyul, tell me.”

            “Well, I…”

            “I promise I won’t laugh.”

            I looked at my feet.  “Well, I think that Songmi likes you.”

            He was silent.

            “And I don’t want to sound rude or mean or anything, but I was...jealous...when you had your arm around her and everything.  Ah...I’m so embarrassed...why is this elevator ride so long?  I’m going to lock myself in the bathroom for a few months or so when we get back.”

            “Eunbyul.”

            “Y-Yeah?”

            “Calm down.” He wrapped his arms around me, and I could feel my heart beating.  “You and I are going to get married no matter what, even if Songmi does have feelings for me.  There’s no changing that, so there’s no need to worry about me being unfaithful.”

            “Right.”  Why do I feel so disappointed?  I started to laugh.  No...Eunbyul, you know why.  It’s because you thought he’d say that he liked you, right?

            “But thank you for being honest with me.” He smiled.

            “Yeah.” Being friends is enough.  Love takes time.

            “Smile,” he said.

            I stared at him in confusion.

            “You look pretty when you smile.”

            Curse my heart.

 


On another note, THANK YOU GUISE SO MUCH for 100+ subscribers!  I really appreciate all of you, and I'm honored that you guise would think this fic is worthy of a subscription.  I read all of your comments, and I'm just glad that everyone is enjoying the story :D

Here's to Eunbyul, Chanyeol, Exo-K, and even Songmi :DDDDDD