To Haeundae We Go

Vampire Girls and Playboys

            “Miss Vampire.”

            , isn’t it Saturday?

            “Eunbyul.”

            I opened one eye.

            “Do you want to go to Haeundae beach today?”

            “It’s so early.” I closed my eye and rolled over and snuggled into the blankets.  “And it’s so warm here.”

            “We have to leave early if we want to make it,” he whispered. 

            “Just the two of us?”

            I could hear him chuckle.  “I mean, I know that you love spending time alone with me, but I’m inviting my friends.  You can invite your friends too.”

            “You guys would be killed if I did,” I mumbled.

            “Kyungsoo is in charge of the food.”

            “So?” I opened one eye again.

            “Once you try some of Kyungsoo’s food, you might beg him to make your lunches for you.  And then he’ll ask for a ridiculous amount money, and then you’ll get mad but give it to him anyway because he’s just that great at packing lunches...not that I would know from personal experience or anything.”

            And that’s how I found myself in Chanyeol’s sports car, along with Baekhyun, Jongin, Sehun, and Kyungsoo.  I felt bad for them because Chanyeol insisted that I sit in the front with him (which meant that the four of them had to cram in the back).  The ride was pretty long, though the guys managed to keep it interesting.  Everyone took turns driving (except for me), and we reached the beach at noon.

            “THE BEACH!” Jongin exclaimed, removing his shirt and running toward the water.

            “LAST ONE IN LOSES!” Kyungsoo cheered, following suit.  I watched Sehun and Chanyeol glance at each other before taking off as well.

            “Yah, help us carry the stuff!” Baekhyun yelled.  But they were already too far away to hear.

            “I’ll help,” I offered, taking some of the blankets.

            “Thanks, Eunbyul.  How are you?”

            I smiled.  “Fine.  I haven’t been to Haeundae in such a long time!”

            We set up all of the blankets and the food in an empty area.  I was surprised at how many people there were at the beach.

            “You aren’t going swimming with them?” I asked Baekhyun.

            “Maybe later.  You?”

            I shrugged.  I was wearing a swimsuit under my tank top, but I didn’t particularly feel like going in the water.  “I mostly came along because I heard that Kyungsoo made really good food.”

            “He does.  Did Chanyeol tell you that Kyungsoo packs lunches for him?”

            I burst out laughing.  “I might’ve heard something like that.”

We sat in silence, watching the guys splash each other in the water.  Chanyeol fell into the water like the fool he was, and when he came out laughing, I realized that I was smiling as well.

            “Hey, let’s take a picture together,” Baekhyun said, breaking the silence.  “The lighting is really good right now.”

            I nodded, and Baekhyun held up his phone.  The picture came out decent, though we were both squinting because the sun was in our eyes.

            “Do you want me to send it to you?”

            “Yeah, that would be cool.”

            “Ah.  I don’t have your number.”  He held out his phone.  “You can just text it to yourself.”

            “Oh, okay.”

            “To be honest,” Baekhyun said, “Chanyeol asked me to get your number.”

            As I was putting my phone number in, I realized that Baekhyun’s method was probably the smoothest way a guy has asked for my number, like, ever.  I immediately burst out laughing.

            “He was agonizing over how to do it, so he begged me to get it for you.”

            “He could’ve just asked.  I’m his…fiancee.  And it’s not like we’re on bad terms or anything.”  The word felt really strange coming out of my mouth.  I began to drag my hands through the sand.

            Baekhyun said, “Chanyeol’s not that bad.”

            I know.

            “He’s just a little immature.  And he’s scared of a lot of things...especially bugs.”

            I know.

            “He always means well.”

            I looked to where the guys were playing, surprised to see that a bunch of girls had joined them.  Chanyeol had his arm around one of the girls.

            Baekhyun followed my eyes, and I watched as his gaze hardened.  “That ,” he muttered.  “I was putting in a good word for him, and then he goes and screws it up.”

            I chuckled, pushing my emotions away.  “It’s fine.  I’m sure he does that all of the time.”

            “Is it really?”

            I nodded.

            “Okay.  Let’s go swimming, Eunbyul.”  Baekhyun stood up.  “I’ll make one of the other guys watch the stuff.”

            “Okay.”

            Baekhyun removed his shirt, left it near his shoes, and I followed suit.  Suddenly, I was glad for the time my lunch table friends had taken me swimsuit shopping because I probably would have never been able to pick out something as cute as what they did.  It was black and emphasized what little chest I had.

            “Ah.  You look...nice.” He cleared his throat and looked the other way.

            “Thanks?”  Is that really a compliment though?

            “Yeah...uh, we should join them.”

            As we were walking toward the water, Sehun, Jongin, and Kyungsoo were walking toward us.

            “We’re going to set up lunch,” Jongin said.  “So please call Chanyeol in five minutes or so.”

            “Got it!” Baekhyun said.

            The cool water felt nice in contrast to the warm sand.

            “Miss Vampire, you went out into the sun!” Chanyeol cheered as Baekhyun and I waded toward him.

            I rolled my eyes.

            “Miss Vampire, this is Songmi,” Chanyeol said, gesturing to the girl his arm was wrapped around.  “We’re in the same class, and she’s always trying to beat me.” He laughed.  “Busan is far from Gangnam.  What a funny coincidence that we’d all be here.”

            I squinted, and when her name matched with her face, my eyes widened in horror.  It’s her.  The demon girl who tried to kill me in soccer!

            “Anyway, those girls over there were being really mean to her, so I decided to step in.” Chanyeol smiled.

            Songmi stared at me, and I stared back, unsure of what to do.  I noted that she had brown hair and brown eyes, and a pale, round face.  There’s no way she can attempt to kill me here...I hope.

            “Who are you?” she asked.

            “Me?” I pointed to myself.

            “Who else would I be talking to?”

            “I’m sure you know.” I rolled my eyes.

            Chanyeol said, “Miss Vampire’s real name is Kim Eunbyul.  She’s my wi--”

            “Isn’t it such a nice day today?” I interrupted.  “Ah, it looks like Kyungsoo is calling us.  We should go!”

            “Would you like to eat lunch with us, Songmi?” Chanyeol asked.  “Kyungsoo always packs more than we can eat.”

            “Ah,” she replied.  “I’m with my parents.”

            “Oh,” Baekhyun said.  “Well, that’s too bad--”

            She smirked.  “But I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if I ate with all of you.”