Chapter 9

To protect the unwilling

A/N: Hi, sorry it's been so long guys! I was busy with school! And I'm leaving twon soon so no update then either! :( This is pretty short for me, five pages, but enjoy all he same!

Chapter 9:

She could hear loud noises, and her breath quickened along with it. A bright white light flooded her eyes and she couldn’t help but close them right away. Gun shots slowly faded to beeps until all she heard was the sounds slowing down to a steady beat, and her eyelids fluttered before remaining closed, her mind wandering off just as she heard people burst wherever she was, and a masculine voice yelling out noona.

 

“Noona!” Jiyoung cried out as soon the machines sped up. He clutched her hands tighter, and was surprised when her grip got stronger than his when he called out to her. He watched as her eyes fluttered open and immediately shut down. He used his free hand to press the call button as many times as possible. He sat there, watching the machines and his sister, alternating between them at a quick space, giving him an headache. ‘Noona! Stay strong!’

 

That’s when he started to hear the heartbeats slowing down, and wasn’t sure whether he should be scared or relieved. Jiyoung didn’t even get the time to contemplate that, as doctors and JaeJoong burst into the room. JaeJoong was quickly approaching their sister, until the doctor and his team pushed Jiyoung away, and signed for JaeJoong to stay clear as well.

 

“Jiyoung?” JaeJoong asked. “What happened?”

“Her eyes opened for a second before she fell back into unconsciousness. I'm not too sure if she was fully awake or just woke up for a second...”

JaeJoong contemplated his brother's words and nodded slowly, as if telling himself that this all made sense, and that his mind wasn't currently clouded with anger.

 

Tiffany had pulled Jessica into the room too when they saw the doctors rushing in but were pushed back out. JaeJoong and Jiyoung couldn't stay long either, as they were checking the female Kwon over. When JaeJoong exited the room, Tiffany had jumped on him for answers but a look from him had her back away. Instead, she turned towards Jiyoung for the events. Jessica sat still in her seat, as she watched JaeJoong, head tilted slightly, a small frown on her pretty face. She slowly stood up and walked towards where he was sitting. Tiffany and Jiyoung paused in their conversation, and watched her make her way to him. When Jessica sat down next to JaeJoong and put a dainty hand on his shoulder, both held their breath in anticipation.

 

Not too far away, Kwon father watched the scene, processing the implications. He did not mind that his oldest finally found someone, he did not mind at all as he loved all of his children. But who Jessica was and the innocence that she has, he was scared that this business will scar her if it hasn't already. And he was afraid of what that will do to JaeJoong. She is also the protected one.  Talking about protection, he wonders what the Anh were doing. Were they planning on accosting Yunho again? He had to call Junsu later.

 

All three spectators half expected him to shrug her off. Imagine their surprise when he reached for her hand and tightly grasped it instead. He closed his eyes slightly and she rested her head on his shoulder slightly. He shifted slightly to pull her into his arms protectively, vowing to himself that he wouldn't let another woman in his life get hurt ever again. He looked down at the blond head tucked in his arms, and a new determination shone through his eyes.

 

Jiyoung's eyes softened as he looked at that scene. He was glad that his brother found someone. It seems that lately, everyone was coming close to finding their soul mate. Yuri and Yunho were as plainly obvious as the fact that she was in the bed in the room across him. Yoona, and as painful as it was to admit, Taecyeon. Even Seohyun seemed to be spending a lot of time with that Yonghwa of hers. Now even JaeJoong found someone. When will it be his turn? It had been his turn at a time, until he found out that she was part of the people who took his most precious person away. Anh Sohee, his dream girl, and his ex, his mother's murderer.

 

JaeJoong caught his eyes and nodded, knowing well what his brother was thinking. He wondered when he would get over it. This mission of theirs was certainly not helping. Contact with Anh Sohee was inevitable. “JaeJoong?” A small voice broke him out of his thoughts, and he looked at the woman in his arms. “Hm?” “Stay safe?” Despite the circumstances, a small smile lifted the corners of his mouth slightly. “I can't promise you that Jessica. I'll do my best though.”

 

He watched her contemplate it, and reluctantly nodding, knowing that it was the best that she could get out of him, in his line of work. He then rested his chin on her head, like he did countless times with his sister before, only this time, it meant something else differently. Somehow, he was the one being comforted.

 

Jessica took a deep breath as she leaned further in his embrace, taking in his scent. She loved the way he smelled, it was soothing. She needed that calm at the moment, even though she knew he was more shaken than she was, since it was his sister. She wondered how she would have reacted if it was Krystal or Yunho lying in that bed right now. Would she be scared? Desperate? Or would she be able to keep it together like JaeJoong was doing it for his family? She doubted it, and probably would have been as hysterical as Yoona and SeoHyun were.

 

She closed her eyes firmly, and tried to shake the image of Yuri, with all those tubes in her, out of her head. It wouldn't do her well to think that. No, right now, she was trying to be comforting, not trying to need comforting. Eventually, her arms s out to curl around his waist, bringing his body closer to hers. The rest of the time was spent in silence; even Tiffany and Jiyoung were silent by now. All five were waiting impatiently for the doctor and nurses to come out.

 

 

Once again, Yunho could barely focus on his work, it was a wonder they hadn't gone bankrupt yet with how little work he was actually getting done. He didn't even want to imagine what it would be like without Junsu as his Vice-President, though he had been slightly put off when he found out that he was dating his terror of a bodyguard.

 

His mind kept flashing back to a beautiful tan girl, lying pale on a white hospital bed, too many tubes in her body. It wasn't the Yuri he knew that was on that bed, it wasn't the Yuri he barely knew at all. It was another woman completely, one that was vulnerable, one that was weak and he wasn't used to that. But he realized now, that he would take what he could get. When she wakes up, he'll tell her that he didn't think she was a criminal anymore, that he didn’t think she deserved to be in jail for she was, that he didn't think she was emotionless, and that he thinks that he is in love with her. Yes, he would tell her all that, and hope not to be rejected.

 

 

When Yuri's eyes snapped open again, a bullet just whizzed by her and caught one of the unknown man in the heart, courtesy of her mother. She didn't turn around, too scared to turn her back to her enemy. This was her first real live combat, and it scared her. There simply was too much weighing on this one combat. She let her eyes dart around and caught JaeJoong's for only a second before she witnessed him take down a guy twice his size. She knew that by end of today, this mansion would be stained by blood, the red liquid seeping into the floor and the walls. She could only pray that none of it would be her families.

 

 

JaeJoong's head snapped up from Jessica's when he heard the door to that room open. All five people stood up immediately, Jessica being dragged by JaeJoong unconsciously. “Doctor!” Tiffany cried out, the only one finding her voice. “How is she?”

 

“She's fine. We don't know what triggered the rapid heartbeat and we're looking into it right now. She's back in the comatose state that she was in before. It doesn't seem like she would wake up soon. The good thing in this is that she won't strain herself, and it will allow her to heal faster.” He walked away soon after his speech and the family and friends were left to their own thoughts again before what seemed to be a common switch flipped on and everyone rushed to the room, JaeJoong, and by that, Jessica was implied, and Tiffany got in first. The others were forced to wait outside, much to their displeasure. Jiyoung sat back down, frowning while their father walked off, his phone out.

 

Jaejoong wasted no time getting to his sister's bedside, holding her hand tightly and examined her. She had remained pale, except for a small blush that seemed to have crept up on her face, probably from the sudden heart rate acceleration from earlier, but apart from that, she looked peaceful, amongst those tubes. Jessica stood back, knowing that she wasn't to interrupt this moment, and Tiffany was by her side, holding onto a side table, fists clenched. Yuri was her best friend and she'll be damned if she allowed the one who did this to get away safely. She had no illusions as to who did it, the Anh clan were responsible, and they will bring them down. Their last order was to eliminate, and that was what she'll do. She turned around and glanced at Jessica. The blonde was naively looking at the sister-brother moment naively, head tilted slightly. Yes, she would be perfect bait.

 

But, frowning slightly about the possibilities of being caught by JaeJoong, she knew she'll have a hell of a time getting Jessica away from him, especially since they seemed to be together now. Sighing, she knew there was close to no chances of it happening. She needed another plan. She glanced once again at the blonde and narrowed her eyes. That's it! Her hair! Her hair was what made her stick out in this crowd. Her unusual artificial colouring was part of what made her unique in this circle.

 

“Tiffany, stop planning and come over here.” That's how she knows that she would never get past JaeJoong; he was too sharp and knew how to read her, not quite as good as Yuri, but up there anyways. She moved silently towards Yuri, the click of her heels sharp against the still room, overlapping the beeps of the machines. She leaned towards her best friend's face and kissed the tanned cheek slightly. 'You'll be avenged Yul, don't worry.' Her bright eyes narrowed, and she stalked out of the room, and of the hospital.

 

“What just happened?” Jessica asked JaeJoong, as she watched the left open door. “That's Tiffany coming up with a plan.”

“How do you know?”

“Easy, that's the only time she narrows her eyes, she's the happy type, even when she makes a kill; she will stay bright, disturbingly enough.” The blonde shuddered at the implication of what he just said but decided that she was better off knowing as little as possible. She has come to term with their professions, but she wasn't ready to know that they killed in reality. “Only, her plans are known to be extremely dangerous, and usually implies lost of manpower. I’ll have her cousin keep an eye on her; they live together.”

Jessica only nodded before turning her head back onto the comatose Yuri. She sighed. They might not have been close friends, or friends at all, but they had spent time together when they sometime switched charges. She knew that deep down, the Kwon were good people in the wrong profession, no matter how many time the siblings told her that there simply was nothing relatively good about them. Neither ever tried to deny that they killed for a living, and somehow, she appreciated the honesty. Not the killing, just the honesty.

“Yuri’s tough, always has been.” Someone said from the door. JaeJoong recognized Junsu, TaeYeon’s boyfriend while Jessica only stared at the stranger; he did seem familiar though.

“Junsu.” JaeJoong greeted. “JaeJoong, TaeYeon sent me to check up on her for her. Tae couldn’t come, she’s with Yunho...”

The blonde simply nodded and turned back to his sister. “Listen Jae, the girls are worried.”

JaeJoong looked at the younger man, “Worried? Not about me I hope?”
“No. Not just you, all of you really. Can I talk to you in private?”

“Say it here, I have to watch Jessica, Tiffany just ran off, with some plan of hers.”

“I’ll tell the girls to look out, but... I’ll call you at some point... I have to go to meet Yunho and the boys soon; he wants to refresh his mind...”

“It’s fine; he has guards with him, and you.”

“You are Oppa’s friend?”
“Ah Jessica, yeah, we never met though. Might have seen each other once or twice only.”

“You looked familiar. You are meeting oppa? You are part of?” Her eyes darted to the siblings, as she asked her question.

“Yeah to both, and he only found out a while ago, after this whole... thing...”

She nodded, and remained silent.