Chapter 12

To protect the unwilling

Safaiaunnie: Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted anything. I'm actually very happy with this chapter, we're finally moving with the plot! It's also one of the last chapters. I've about three more not counting this one and we're done! To Protect the Unwilling is coming to a close! Hopefully, you guys will have enjoyed it as much as I did creating this.

----------------------------------------

Chapter 12:

Seohyun, Yoona and Jiyoung leaned back into their seats, as they watched their father lean back in his own, trying to decipher the emotions running across the faces of the three children in front of him. Yuri and JaeJoong were stationed on either side of him. The Jungs were in their living room, guarded by TaeYeon and Junsu.

The two eldest Kwon looked at their siblings. The 13 and 19 years old girls had their emotions displayed openly on their faces. Jiyoung was more subtle, but the fire simmering under his dark eyes were clear as day to JaeJoong. Yuri focused instead on her sisters; she knew the boys could handle themselves. She was more concerned for Yoona and Seohyun.

“Unnie...” Yoona’s shaky voice called out.

“Father, why were we never told until now?” Jiyoung asked their father.

“Yes Yoong?” Yuri said in her softest voice.

“I’m sorry my boy, it was too hard for any of us to mention even his name...”

“I have another oppa?”

“Daddy... What was Joon-oppa like? Was he nice? Where is he now?”

“Had Yoona” JaeJoong interrupted their conversation, a steely note to his voice. It was a note that earned a look of disappointment in Yuri’s eyes. “Jae...”

“Your brother was a wonderful little boy, always cheerful, always kind, he was just beginning his training when-“

“No Yuri, don’t”

“When what Father?”

 “Don’t what? JaeJoong, Kwon Joon is as much part of this family as any of us here. He is our brother! Always was, always is, always will be!”

“When he was taken away fro-

“He got Mom killed!” JaeJoong finally yelled out. The room fell silent again. Yuri turned her face away from the scene, screwing her eyes shut, never letting those tears fall. Their father fell silent, his head bowed. JaeJoong stood there, panting in sheer frustration and anger. The three youngest Kwon sat there, not knowing how to react.

They spent what felt like hours frozen in their spot before the eldest sister walked away from their father and out the room. JaeJoong finally moved as well, slouching and leaning back against the window wall behind the desk. The three younger siblings took that as their cue to leave, immediately going towards where their protégés where.

“JaeJoong.” Their father’s thundering voice was low. The son offered no answer, and no sound to indicate he heard his name. “JaeJoong, you cannot hold this against Joon. He did not choose to be kidnapped. He did not choose to be taken away from us. He is not why your mother is dead son!”

“I know...” A slight whimper sounded out. It broke the man’s heart, hearing the weak sound from his strong son. JaeJoong was the silent type, but he was strong. Stronger than any of his children, and he had the pick of them.

“Then why do you keep blaming Joon?”

“Because... I don’t know father...” He sighed, “I’ll go talk to Yuri.”

“Let her cool off. Joon is a sensitive subject to us all, but... Yuri... She’s been ready to get him back since... since we found your mom... And she’s readier than ever now.”

“What do you mean?” JaeJoong’s attention was entirely on his father now. He looked old, older than he really was.

“Your sister has a plan. A plan she, herself, is not sure to survive from. So promise me one thing JaeJoong, is that you don’t let my baby girl die ok?”

“Yes Father.” There was a tone of finality there. And it reassured the Kwon patriarch enough to let a hint of a smile grace his lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“What do you think they are talking about?” Krystal asked her sister. They all sat in the Kwon’s living room, with their two guards. Krystal was bored, she understood that they were in danger, but they could be safe at the mall too right?  It’s not like they were going to shoot them in broad daylight.

 

TaeYeon scrunched her pretty features up at the sound of the younger Jung. It’s not that she didn’t like the girl, but god, was she always that superficial? She didn’t even have to say her thoughts for others to understand what she really meant. And she was a gossip at that. They caught her babbling to her friends multiple that, stopping her just in time to keep her from spilling everything out. Some of her friends had family high up in the police field, and the political field. It wouldn’t do them any good to be found out.

Junsu squeezed her hand, shaking his head in amusement. He found the other Jung sister to be entertaining. She was innocent. Not so innocent that it was hard to be around her, or that she did not know the harsh truth of reality, but innocent in a way that was pure, in a way that SeoHyun used to radiate before her mother was killed. Innocent like someone who had yet to be touched by the world’s cruel way. Innocent like someone’s about to take it all away.

It made him want to protect the woman his friend JaeJoong had found himself enamoured him, even if he would never admit it. This woman was in danger before the two even met, but somehow retained an aura of innocence, and that of an ice queen, but still innocent. The Jung all jumped when Jiyoung burst the door open, his two sisters following him and they all plopped down on the different free seats across the room. Jiyoung was glaring straight at the wall, Yoona and Seohyun were holding hands, not sure how to react to the news they just got.

---------------------------------------

“Joon-ah, please be safe.” Yuri said to a picture, in a room she hadn’t set foot in for years on now. This was Joon’s room, no one touched it, it was still the same bright blue and green it was years ago. She was sitting on his bed, holding that picture to her chest. ‘I’ll get you back, little brother; I will not leave you in the hands of the Anh for much longer.’

“Yuri.” Her father’s voice bounced off the walls of the room. He closed the door behind him and sat down next to his daughter.

“Father...”

“The men you wanted have been gathered. They’re only waiting for your call now.”

“Thank you Father.” An unreadable look passed through her eyes. A look that left her father feeling lost and scared. “Tonight... It will be tonight.”

Yuri stood up and left the room. The Kwon leader just sat on the bed, listening to the door close again. When her footsteps faded away, the adjoining door to this room, connecting Joon’s room to his, opened. JaeJoong walked in. “I will not let her die.”

He nodded, and his eldest son left as well.

‘I’m sorry my love, I never meant for our children to turn out this way...’

------------------------------------------------

“Where’s Yuri-ssi and JaeJoong-ssi?” Yunho asked Jiyoung.

“They’ll be down sooner or later, like I would know. It’s not like those two tell us anything after all.” They all heard the bitter tone in his sentence.

“Watch yourself Jiyoung” A cold voice called out. Yuri stepped into the room, a cold look frozen on her face.

“What, or you and JaeJoong are going to keep more secrets away from us? It’s not like you didn’t already hide that we had another brother from us!”

“And what would have that changed?” JaeJoong stepped in not too long after his sister.

“I don’t know what it would have changed, but –“

“Exactly! You did not need to know about Joon. You did not need to be involved more than you already were!” Yuri called out calmly. “You did not need to be bitter like us...”

The others froze, watching the trio in silence, confusion swimming through all their heads. SeoHyun had already left the room by then. And Yoona just sat there, not knowing what to do.

“And you think I’m not bitter now, having been kept from something this big? And damn it Yuri! I dated that woman...”

“I know Jiyoung...” Not even flinching at the lost of the noona after her name, she finally sat down beside Yunho. ‘This is why I cannot let you in this world more than you already are... Your life isn’t the only thing you lose with us... You no longer trust, or feel...’

“TaeYeon.” Yuri called out. “Yes?”

“Tonight, you’ll guard them; I have somewhere I need to be.”

“I’m coming with you.” JaeJoong said finality obvious in his tone.

“So Father made you listen in? You are not coming.”

“I promised mother on her grave that I will protect you Yuri.”

“Tonight it is JaeJoong. And you are not coming with me. This finishes once and for all!” She stormed out by then.

“JaeJoong?” Junsu called out.

“Junsu, take three guys you trust with you and protect the Jung. TaeYeon. You are coming with me, assemble your girls and we will be backing Yuri up tonight.”

“What is she planning Oppa?” Yoona finally said. ‘Ok TaecYeon, you played me all this time. Tonight, your head is mine!’

“You are staying here.”

“We’re all coming” The Kwon were bright people, it didn’t take long for them to connect all the dots.

“Two minutes ago, you were against Yuri and I Jiyoung!”

“Anh Sohee’s my kill. I don’t care if she’s a woman, she’s my kill!”

“What’s happening?” Jessica finally called out. She was standing beside JaeJoong now, holding onto his arms as he was talking to his siblings. TaeYeon had left the room, calling the girls. Tiffany’s plan had failed already, and HyoYeon’s had been stopped before it even began. SooYoung and Sunny were already on standby, waiting for the call. They knew it wouldn’t be long.

“I want in on the action hyung.” Junsu said as well.

“Jessica, tonight, you stay with your siblings and your guards. Junsu, I need someone trustworthy for this. No one else would do.”

The living room became their war room in less than twenty minutes. Plans were made, and were put into execution.

-----------------------------------------

Yuri was still outside the living room as they yelled over each other. She sighed and brought her hand to her forehead. Her father made his way down the stairs and handed her a slip of paper, on it was a phone number.

She nodded, “I’m not going to be able to change their mind will I?” The lack of answer was disturbing to her. “Appa, keep SeoHyun in the house. She’s 13, she’s not going out on the field tonight... As for the twins... I think it’s time Yoona man up heh?” She let out an empty laugh. “She’s set for TaecYeon’s head and Jiyoung for Sohee’s... He’s not going to be able to finish the job father...”

“Believe in your siblings Yuri, you always did over protect them and underestimate them.”

“I heard what you told JaeJoong you know... about protecting me...”

“I thought you left...”

“I didn’t, that was a maid walking away... I...”

“You are my daughter Yuri, and I regret every day bringing you into this world, I wish that I could have brought you up in a peaceful world...”

“Maybe years after us, it will be, but we are who we are. Peaceful is simply not in our vocabulary. We’re not the good guys Father.”

“And we will never be.”

“If JaeJoong wants to bring Jessica in, it’s up to him...”

“But you won’t be giving her brother a chance?”

“Years after us, appa, years after us...”

‘I broke you, my dear girl...’

--------------------------------------

Tiffany sat in a chair; her hair was back to black. SooYoung and Sunny sat on the couch, with HyoYeon not too far away. TaeYeon was there as well, waiting for someone.

“TaeYeon, what’s happening?”

The oldest of them all sat there, “I don’t know... I just know... tonight, a clan will fall...”

All four sat up straight. “You mean...”

TaeYeon just nodded, with her eyes closed. “JaeJoong is coming here to brief us.”

None of the four members have seen hide or hair of the Kwon siblings since the intervention two weeks ago. All four knew they messed up big time, but they would not apologize for their actions. Their intentions were never set on betrayal, they weren’t good, but they were not and never were traitors to the Kwon.

“Ladies.” Jaejoong called out as soon as he entered the room. All five stood up and bowed; this became business the moment Yuri made the decision that tonight would be bloodshed. “I’m sure TaeYeon here has informed you of my sister’s decision.” He waited for their confirmation before going on, “I cannot let her go in alone. Actually, we cannot. My younger siblings, minus SeoHyun, will be joining us and whatever team Father has put together for Yuri.”

“Do we know where this will go down?” Tiffany asked, anxious for the night.

“Yes, a warehouse down the main port. Yuri has managed to track them down. She’s briefing her people right now I assume. Now she doesn’t want us anywhere near the field tonight, but I made a promise to bring her back alive.”

They all nodded their agreement and headed to the weaponry room. It was time, this is what their parents had trained them for all their lives; the downfall of the Anh empire.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Gentlemen.” Yuri called out as soon as she walked into the room. The ten men in the room immediately stood up. It’s not every day the Black Pearl calls upon you. That’s what Yuri has been named by people outside her friends. She was the Black Pearl and it wasn’t because of her darker skin that she gained that nickname. She looked around, and recognizes them all. ‘All good fighters, shame I’m probably leading them to their deaths tonight.’ She reminds herself that her father gave them a choice already and they all stayed. “I understand that my father has already given you the break down on this job?”

 

They all nodded, “And you are all staying?” She asked one more time.

“Loyalty, never cowardice is our motto is it not Kwon-ssi?” a man she remembered as a childhood friend of Joon before he was taken. He grew up as bitter as Jaejoong and her because his father was killed the very same day, outside the Kwon mansion when he came to visit her father.

 

“Hm, yes that it is. Well, I guess this is it. Tonight, the Anh are no more. I would have preferred if the eleven of us would be the only one heading out tonight but my siblings and father had other ideas. My sources told me that they have a drug shipment coming in tonight, at the main port at 0200. The leader and his daughter, Anh Sohee will be there. They will be armed, and of course, there’s the people they are dealing with that will be there as well. The main security detail includes Ok Taecyeon, Horvelchuk Nickhun and Park JaeBum. Ok’s head is Yoona’s, just to warm you or she might put a bullet through you for taking that away from her. They’ll have around 50 men with them, not counting the other clan. They’re mostly all well trained assassins, because unfortunately, they do not take amateurs with the head of the clan.” Yuri turned around and motioned to the plan of the port behind her. “This is a plan of the main port. I want you two stationed on this rooftop and you two on that one. One as a sniper and the other as a guard; there’s going to be people stationed on rooftops. They’ll be here, here, here and here. Take them out. If we take out their air force, we’re good below. We’ll have the upper hand. Now that also means we’re short 4 men; 4 good men so I want you all to be on your guards. You two, I want you coming in from this street. You and you are on this ship. You two, you come with me, but we split when we get closer. You two will diverge this way, sneak in through here. Place these in the warehouse; if we fail tonight, or even if we don’t, at 8 A.M, my father will be pulling the trigger, and their legacy will go down in flames.” She failed to tell them that similar ones have been planted throughout all the known warehouses the Anh owned, and a few of the unknown one, as well as in their main mansion. The Anh has no idea exactly how many enemies they really had but neither did the Kwon; she wasn’t taking chances. “I don’t know what my siblings are planning. That plays against us; but JaeJoong know the way I work, hopefully, he figured out the plan. But even then, I want you to be careful not to cause any friendly fire. I realize that you don’t know all of our people but there is a high amount of women in our midst. And the only one in theirs is Anh Sohee.”

She took a deep breath before continuing, “We’re highly outnumbered. So I am giving you one last chance to back out.”

“LOYALTY, NEVER COWARDICE!” All ten men held no hesitation as they yelled out their clan motto.

------------------------------------

Safaiaunnir: There it is peeps! 3 more chapters, and I promise the romance that is lacking here will show up in those. The battle will take up to about two chapters. Hope you enjoyed this!