Chapter 10

To protect the unwilling

Tow chapters in two days, my present to you guys!! :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! I'm flying to Vietnam in two days so I won't be updating until I come back! :( Enjoy!!

Chapter 10:

 

A/N: Hi readers! I just wanted to say that I was rereading my story and I found some inconsistencies in it. From the ages to the relationships, there was a lot that was off with it. I am not going to rewrite because that would mean changing a lot with it, but if you notice anything, just tell me and I’ll clarify it for you!

 

JaeJoong and Yuri stood back to back, in the middle of their living room, having been separated from their family a while ago. They have been trying to get back to them, but were constantly pushed away by the rival mob. They did not know how many managed to enter their home, but they were sure that those who were in their way were the fodder; the important people were probably drinking at home. They lost count of how many fell to both their hands, but were determined to get back to their parents and their siblings. Yuri was panting heavily while JaeJoong was only slightly better. To them, it felt like hours had passed, while really, they had been infiltrated only twenty minutes ago.

 

“Oppa, we have to get back!” Yuri finally said when they had managed to dispose of every gunman in the room.

“I know Yuri, I know...” Was JaeJoong’s reply before he recharged his gun. The click of the recharge was the only sound left before both slowly advanced towards the open door. JaeJoong used his arm to stop his sister from exiting immediately. He peeked out and all he saw was nothing. Narrowing his eyes slightly, he felt his sister getting impatient behind him, grasping the back of his shirt tightly.

 

They both knew that they survived by pure chance, they were only teenagers; there was no other way why they could have survived against this many enemy. He was proud of her. He knew she was scared but to go on as she had, he was proud to call her his sister. They kept their feet light against the floor as they advanced through the empty corridor. There were no more gun shots, and fear grasped their young hearts as they feared for their family’s sake.

 

They walked faster, while trying to keep as silent as possible, walking towards the blood stained white double doors at the end of the hall. Yuri had gravitated next to JaeJoong; her impatience was making her walk faster. The lamps in their hallway were all out, gun shots having blown all of them apart. They had to be careful not to walk on any broken glass shards, while keeping an eye out for any leftover opponents.

 

Both suddenly stopped, when they heard their mother cry out. They started to run towards the doors when they suddenly burst open. The two teens drew their guns towards the door, waiting for whoever was on the other side to show up.

 

Yunho, TaeYeon and Sunny had just walked into the hospital when Tiffany was coming out. She did not even say a word to them nor did she look at them, all but stomping to her car and speeding off. The girls looked at each other; a silent message passing between them. They nodded to each other before Sunny left the two alone, and sped off after Tiffany.

 

“What was that?” Yunho asked while they were walking towards the elevator.

“The look that was on Tiffany’s face, that’s the look that she has whenever she comes up with some plan of hers.”

“So?”
“They are all lethal. I mean that would be a good thing, if it didn’t include us losing our people as well... The few time we didn’t lose any men after are when she rushes into it by herself, and the result is Yuri, HyoYeon or me saving her after that.”

“You would think that she would be fired or something... However it works with you people.”

 

TaeYeon stopped to look at him. He stared back, confused. “You haven’t learned anything have you?”

“What do you mean?”

She just shook her head and continued walking until they entered the elevator.

“We’re a family.” She finally said, “We don’t fire family. If someone wants to get out, we let them, if they promise not to tell the cops on us. If someone makes a mistake, we punish them yes, but we don’t discard them like they are yesterday’s trash... Not like the Anh...”

“What if they do tell?”

 

TaeYeon’s eyes flashed then. “We protect what’s ours. That includes our lives and secrets. You might think that we are heartless Yunho-ssi. But understand that we are who we are for a reason, and while it might never have been a great one, you have to learn to respect it. We don’t ask of you to agree to it, or even to abide to it, but as you are our current charge at the moment, we would just like you to respect it.”

 

They kept silent the rest of the ride up and when the elevator doors opened, it revealed Junsu. They greeted him as they always would, trying to keep what just transpired out of their head. Junsu ended up walking both back to where he just came from.

“Tiffany is up to something.” The couple said at the same time before they looked at each other.

“Sunny is already following her.” TaeYeon said, as Junsu pulled her into his arms.

“Ok...”

 

Junsu was truly surprised that Yunho kept him as his vice president after finding out his ties to the mafia but said nothing. The Kwon knew that he was his protection most of the time, always having known that one day; the Anh would need the Jung’s help. It wasn’t the initial reason Junsu befriended Yunho, but as his training went on, he always wondered about recruiting the older man into their folds. However, when he found out Yunho’s views on them, he quickly backed out of it. But by then, the order already came, protect the Jung as much as he could.

 

When they were younger, Junsu had told YooChun about himself, about what his family was all about. The other didn’t talk to him for a good month after that, and Yunho still didn’t know why until now. When YooChun suddenly approached him out of nowhere, and said that it didn’t matter what he did, as long as he wasn’t dragged into it, he was surprised but decided that if he was able to keep that friendship, he was ok with it.

 

“How is Yuri?” TaeYeon asked her boyfriend when they walked to her room.

“When I first went into the room, the doctors had just finished examining her.”

“Why?”
“She seemed to have woken up but fell back into her coma a second later, but her heart was still going too fast...”

“Yul...” TaeYeon whispered.

 

The rest of the walk was silent.

 

 

When the doors burst open, the siblings froze. The man was holding Joon in front of him, a gun to his head. He was walking backwards, flanked by the two men. The men raised their guns when they saw the twins and both knew that if they fired a single round at the man, Joon would die. Yet, they kept their guns up, not wanting to be vulnerable. Joon was silent as well, knowing that his life was in danger despite his young age. Yuri was trembling now, scared for her little brother.

 

JaeJoong decided that the goons had to go. The man wouldn’t care, he had his hostage, but the goons were replaceable. He touched Yuri slightly, and she calmed down a little. Both of their guns’ were ready to fire at anytime; the safety had been taken off a long time ago. They both took aims subtly, as they already were in position. Yuri took in a shuddering breath before counting to three.

 

One...

 

Two...

 

Three...

 

Bang!

 

 

Tiffany stomped to her car but Sunny quickly intercepted her. Sunny was strong for a girl of her stature and her grip was borderline painful for the brunette in front of her.

 

“Fany! Calm!”

“Calm! Have you seen Yuri? Did you know we almost lost her again, just now!? How do-”

 

Sunny had slapped her.

“You are not allowed to panic Hwang! Remember when we all promised that if anything happened to any of us, we’d stay calm, and take out who ever did it.”

“Oh I will take out whoever did it, don’t worry SunKyu, I will!”

“Hwang MiYoung! I said calm! We made a pact and you damn well will stick to it!” The petite girl yelled at the taller one. “We can’t lose you Fany...”

 

 

Yuri’s eyes widened as she fell back into JaeJoong’s arms, a bleeding hole in her stomach. The last thing she saw before she out was the man running away with her little brother in his arms and her older brother calling out her name.

 

JOON!’

 

Seohyun was born twelve hours later, in the same hospital, floors away from her sister, who was struggling to live. Seohyun had her parents and siblings to her side, while Yuri was accompanied by JaeJoong, her friends, and the memory of a lost brother. That was the first step to the drift in the family. When Yuri and JaeJoong started to rely on each other.

 

 

“SeoHyun-ssi? Are you okay?” A young student asked his tutor, as she seemed to stare off into space for the umpteenth time that day.

“Ah. Yonghwa-ssi. Sorry about that...”

“Gwenchana... Do you want to cut today short? I don’t mind if you do. I’ll still pay for the whole session!”

“Ah gwenchanayo. I’m really fine Yonghwa-ssi, let’s keep going. The science of h-“

 

SeoHyun obviously couldn’t remember her own birth, but her father had always told her that she was a little miracle. She had always asked why but only ever got a fare away look from him. When she was old enough, she decided to ask her siblings, the reactions she got were not any more helpful. Yoona seemed a bit jealous about the attention, but she didn’t know what he meant either. As for Jiyoung, he was as clueless as his twin. When she asked Yuri, she noticed that her sister’s hands always went to that spot of her stomach, and she would give her this little smile, and say, “It doesn’t matter what the reason is SeoBaby, you’ll always be our little miracle.” She became more confused after that and asked JaeJoong. Their father and Yuri’s eyes always softened when she asked them, but JaeJoong’s would harden instead and sigh. She would get no answer from him at all.

Every year, on her birthday, she would always notice that her eldest sister would look out the window, as if waiting for someone. JaeJoong would then pull her away from it and force her back towards SeoHyun. They never knew how much that had hurt the youngest of them; she had believed that they hadn’t loved her as much as the rest of them did.

 

She stood corrected a few years later, on her eighth birthday. She had caught Yuri crying in their parents’ bedroom, holding a picture to her chest. She had never found out what it was of, but on that day, JaeJoong had taken a bullet for her. And Yuri was by his bedside, but she was holding her tightly, just like she did earlier that day with the picture. Their father wasn’t there, having left as soon as the doctor cleared the young man. The twins were home, with their guards.

 

The people of her family had seen too much in their lives. She was really only thirteen, but it was hard to believe if you only heard her. People often thought that she was older and more mature. She grew up fast after that particular day. She knew her father and siblings wanted to keep her out of it but she also knew that when it came down to it, she would kill to protect them. She has trained and trained herself, to be up to Yuri’s level. She obviously wasn’t there yet, remembering stories that Yuri had told her of herself at that age.

 

There was more than a decade between her eldest siblings and her, and for some reason, sometimes, it felt like a century. Jiyoung and Yoona were only 19 too. They might all be young, but in the end, it didn't matter, because they were Kwon.

 

 

“Yuri!” JaeJoong yelled out as he watched her take in a sharp breath. It was only two hours since her last awakening. He quickly pushed the nurse button and tried to keep her awake by calling out her name. “Yuri-ah! C’mon baby girl, stay awake.”

 

The tan woman in his arm was breathing in sharply, and fast. Her heartbeat was quick again; her last image was that of a bullet piercing her stomach and the departing footstep of an unknown man. When the doctors appeared, she had opened and whispered something that no one could hear. They were all chased out and by that time, the whole family was once again gathered outside the halls. Boa was pacing, her boyfriend was leaning against the wall, ready to stop her tantrum before it started. JaeJoong was staring through the inside window, trying to see through the solid blinds, Jessica by his side, holding onto him tightly. JiYoung was sitting on the plastic seats, Yoona and SeoHyun huddled up against him, while their father was next to him, just staring at the door. TaeYeon had left with Yunho a while ago, but by then HyoYeon had left Krystal with SooYoung and another guard and was visiting her friend. She was currently sitting by herself, just silent. She remembered their pact. And unlike Tiffany, she wasn’t going to be rash. She needed all of the girls, now.

 

No one noticed her slipping away but inside the room, Yuri’s eyes darted towards the door briefly. The doctors were still working on her, testing everything they could at that moment. When her family was allowed back in, she had looked for her brother. Almost immediately, JaeJoong was by her side, asking her how she was. She groaned out water, but her eyes kept going around the room. ‘Joon!’ She had wished that when she woke up, what she would see was her brother safe, being rescued by someone. But like thirteen years ago, she had failed once again.

 

When everyone had left, and the only ones in the room were her father and herself, the room was silent. Her father and her didn’t have much to tell each other, not anymore. It however didn’t mean that they didn’t love each other. They did. They really did.

 

JaeJoong had left, knowing far too well that Jessica couldn’t stay at the hospital that long. This long week had proved it to him. Usually Tiffany would take her to his house and Tiffany would stay in Yuri’s room. Today though, the woman had up and left with some plan of hers and he would have to take her home.

 

 

“SooYoung.”

“Hyo? What are you calling me for?”

“Is the Jung with you?”

“Neh, of course she is. I am guarding her. Why?” SooYoung was worried. Was something going on?

 

“Tiffany!”
“What Sunny?”

“Why are you dying your hair blonde?”

“I want to know how it would look on me.”

 

“I'm scared Junsu...”

“It'll be fine TaeYeon,don't worry.”

 

“The girls are planning something Jiyoung.”

“I know Hyung... What are we going to do?”

 

Jessica was sleeping in her guest room but she was awoken by the sound of thunder. Her eyes snapped open and took in the familiar room. She shuddered. Something felt wrong...

 

As silent as possible, she made her way to where her brother was sleeping. She pushed the door open, and stopped. He wasn't sleeping either. He was looking outside, sitting on the ledge of his window.

“Oppa?”

 

 

“Appa?” Yuri called out in the dark room.

 

Her father looked at her in surprise, she hadn't called him appa in years, it was always father with her brother and herself. “Yes, Yuri?”

“Do you think... that umma is happy where she is?” He scanned her posture. She was holding her knees to her chest, and was resting her chin on them. He had not seen her like that in a long time. She was a strong woman, that he knew, but she grew up too fast, like the rest of her siblings.

 

He closed his eyes. He never wanted that life for his children, but... What is done is done...

“Yes Yuri... I think she is happy.”

 

“I saw Joon you know...” His head snapped back to her.