INTERMISSION #1

Love Song

 

“It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday …”

                “Ugh!” Krystal made a face before she turned off the radio. It was lonely to wait in the car like this, but she would rather not hurt her ear by listening to that song. She raised her binocular again and looked toward the window of the library. There was no movement and that frustrated her even more. She spied for several minutes before she spotted the library door opened and two girls stepped out.

                “Meep!” Krystal ducked down to the passenger seat when one of those girls looked her way. “Crayola!” She muttered under her breath and continued to lie across the seats, hoping that they did not see her. However, her stomach sank when there was a knock on the driverside’s window.

                Slowly, Krystal rose and jaggedly turned toward the window, where a smiling face greeted her. “Hey, Ssul.” She said after she lowered the glass.

                “Hey, Jjung. Whatcha doing?” Sulli greeted her brightly.

                “Oh, I was looking for my earring … I think I dropped it somewhere in the car.” Krystal smoothly made up an excuse.

                “That’s strange, because you’re wearing both of them.” Sulli pointed toward the silver that dangled from Krystal’s ears.

                “HAH!” Krystal startled both Sulli and herself with her nervous laughter. “I’ve gone crazy. Haha … ha … so what are you up to?” She nodded toward a girl, who was standing not far behind Sulli.

                “Oh, Victoria-unni and I just finished our tutoring session so we were going to get dinner.” Sulli looked back at Victoria, who waved at both girls. “You wanna join us?” Sulli cutely leaned on Krystal’s car and smiled.

                “No.” Krystal did not intend for her answer to sound so harsh. “I have to study, that’s why I’m here … at the library.” Secretly, Krystal cursed herself for the not so smooth way she was acting.

                “But it’ll be more fun if you join us.” Sulli gentle shook Krystal’s shoulder.

                “No, you go enjoy your date. I need to study.” Krystal turned up the coldness before she got out of her car.

                “But Jjung!” Sulli whined.

                “Sulli, maybe you should have dinner with Krystal. I think she wants to hang out with you.” Victoria stepped in and intercepted the argument. She smiled warmly at Krystal, but she was met with a cold glare.

                “But Victoria-unni, I said we would have dinner.” Sulli blinked. “Jjung will come, too …”

                “You guys have fun.” Krystal was getting more irritated by the moment. She grabbed her bag from her backseat and started to storm toward the library door. She ignored Sulli’s voice calling after her. Her feet carried her all the way to the top floor where she found a small cubicle to sulk in silence. The cubicle sat behind all the bookshelves and close to a large window.

                “Stupid Ssul. Why is she always with that Victoria? She never hangs out with just us anymore.” The darkeyed girl grumbled while she flipped through the pages of her notes.

                The source of Krystal’s annoyance started three months ago, when Sulli’s mom hired Victoria as that girl’s tutor. Sulli was not doing well enough in school, so Victoria helped raise her grades up to a higher level. Since meeting Victoria, all Krystal ever heard from Sulli was “Victoria-unni this, Victoria-unni that …” and the jealousy in her made Krystal green with envy. More often, Sulli would hang out with Victoria after these tutoring sessions and Krystal would never come with them, since she was afraid she might beat Victoria up out of annoyance. Several times, she would follow them with her binoculars to make sure that her pure, innocent Ssul was not being defiled. “Victoria, that foxy …” She hissed.

                While she tried to concentrate, Krystal kept finding herself staring out the window. The sun was setting and the sky was painted red, like the color of Sulli’s lips. Those lips were especially bright against the girl’s porcelain skin. Sulli’s light brown hair looked especially bright when the sun set, like she was a fiery goddess …

                “Augh!” Krystal flopped her head onto the table. “Why am I thinking about her?” She whined to herself then glanced at her phone. One hour have passed since she sat down at the cubicle and she has yet to turn the page of her notebook. Studying was a failed idea.

                Hoping to instill some bloodflow through her body, Krystal stood up and stretched. She yawned loudly and looked around the empty floor, where she was the sole occupant. “I should take a break.” She muttered and walked through the rows of bookshelves. Her eyes glanced through the titles, but stopped at none in particular.

                Through the cracks of the bookshelves, Krystal noticed another person on the other side of the shelf. That person matched her paced and stopped when she stopped. The person was taller, so Krystal could not see her face, just her lips and chin.

                “H-Hello?” Krystal voiced an uncertain greeting.

                “Hello.” That voice. Krystal knew exactly who it was.

                “What are you doing back here? Why aren’t you with your precious Victoria-unni?” Krystal’s jealousy was apparent through her tone and words.

                “I thought someone might be lonely, so I came back to keep her company.” Sulli replied with a smile, at least Krystal thought it was a smile when she saw those lips spread widely. She could imagine that lofty grin plastered on the younger girl’s face.

                “Pfft. I’m not lonely. I got books and stuff.” Krystal’s pride did not allow her to jump with joy from Sulli’s words. She moved on to the end of the row of books and rounded the corner.

                “Really? That’s all you need to make you happy? Books? You sound just like Jessica-unni.” Sulli smiled and stepped up to Krystal.

                “Yea. Am I not allowed to be like my sister?” Krystal glared.

                “No, you are not allowed.” Sulli shook her head then pinched Krystal’s cheek. “Because only I can make you happy and don’t you be cold like your sister. I can’t stand the cold.”

                “Then run to your Victoria-unni, she’s warm and happy, not cold and grumpy like me. You can make her happy.” Krystal frowned and turned her heels to make her way back to her cubicle.

                “D’awww. My Jjung is so cute when she’s jealous.” Sulli followed Krystal and when the grumpy girl was about to sit down, she stole her seat.

                “Get up. I don’t have time to fool around with you.” Krystal kept up her cold appearance, but her cheeks quickly turned red when Sulli pulled her down onto Sulli’s lap. Her tushie felt so comfortable in her new seat that she had to gather up all her courage to try to struggle.

                “Sit still, will you? Your boney hurts when you move.” Sulli .

                “WHAT?! CHOI JINRI! HOW DAR---“ Krystal was quickly silenced by Sulli’s soft, supple, sweet, chewy … mochi?!

                Sulli had stuffed a piece of mochi into Krystal’s mouth to stop her yelling. “Shhh, Jjung. This is a library. You don’t want the old librarian to come up here and discover us in this compromising position … do you?” Sulli raised her brow and lowered her lashes, making her look sultrier.

                Krystal blushed hotly and shook her head. She took a moment to chew on the glutinous snack before she spoke again. “What are you doing?” Sulli had wrapped her arms around Krystal and was holding the other girl closely against her.

                “Nothing, you’ve always called me the Big Baby, so I just wanted to reverse the role today.” Sulli shrugged happily and presented in front of Krystal a to-go box of food. “I brought dinner so we can share.”

                “You didn’t go to dinner with your Victoria?” Krystal stressed the ‘your’ part.

                “I did.” Sulli quickly added before Krystal started yelling again. “I didn’t want to be impolite since she has been so nice to me. But I only ate a little then ordered all this to bring back to share with you.”

                “Why?” Krystal stared into Sulli’s eyes.

                “Because I’m the only one who can make you happy.” Sulli smiled. “And you’re the only girl I love.”

                “…” Krystal blushed and shyly looked away. Despite her cold and chic demeanor, she was quite shy when it came to intimacy and affection. “Y-you … you charmer …”

                “I didn’t know our Jjung had a stutter.” Sulli giggled. “Maybe I should go see …”

                “Don’t say her name!” Krystal hit Sulli on the shoulder.

                “Ouch! What a meanie!” Sulli laughed. “You know, Victoria-unni is my tutor. She is nice to me because she has to be …”

                “But the way she looks at you …” Krystal interjected.

                “Like an older sister! She showed me a picture of her younger sister back home. I look like her.” Sulli shook her head. “Victoria-unni has a crush on a policewoman, someone who helped her when she first arrived from China.”

                “Oh.” Krystal was at a loss of words.

                “She only sees me as a sister. We talk about things … about you and me …” Sulli’s voice started to drown at the end.

                “Huh? What about you and me?” Krystal poked the younger girl’s cheek.

                “We talked about how I’m in love with a stalker …”

                “WHAT?!”

                “Shhhhhhhhh!” Sulli shushed loudmouth Krystal. “You think we didn’t notice you lurking around wherever we went? You’re not exactly La Femme Nikita you know?”

                “Who? Are you seeing someone else being my back?” Krystal growled.

                “No, crazy girl! I only see you, Krystal Jung. I have Krystal-vision. I see you wherever I go … oh wait, that’s because you were stalking me … OUCH!”

                Krystal pinched Sulli’s cheeks very roughly. “What were you saying, huh?”

                “I said you are the most beautiful girl in the world!” Sulli rubbed her sore cheeks.

                “Good girl.” Krystal ruffled the younger girl’s hair.

                Together, they shared the food that Sulli brought back. They fed each other and teased each other, just like a love dovey couple. When they were done flirting, it was late at night and the library had to close. They walked out hand in hand.

                “I’ll walk you to the door.” Krystal got out of the car and accompanied Sulli to her door after she had driven to the younger girl’s home.

                “Awww. Aren’t you a dashing princess.” Sulli giggled. “Are you going to kiss me at the door?”

                “No.” Krystal turned away and still blushed brightly. “Here.” She shoved a box into Sulli’s hands once they reached the door.

                “What is it?” Sulli looked down at the brightly wrapped present.

                “Open it.”

                Sulli looked uncertainly at Krystal, and then started to undo the ribbon. She neatly unwrapped the present and opened the box before a bright smile spread across her lips. “A new phone! Thank you, Jjung!”

                “Yea. Since your other one was broken.” Krystal tried to sound nonchalant.

                “You mean the one that you broke?” Sulli squinted at Krystal.

                “I didn’t do it on purpose!” Krystal growled.

                “Yes you did! You dropped it from a two story height! Your acting wasn’t even that good!” Sulli brought her hand up to and widened her eyes. “Oops. I accidentally dropped your phone, Ssul.” Sulli mimicked Krystal in the most annoying way possible.

                ***FLASHBACK***

                The night of the ball, after the debacle with Sooyoung and Yoona, everyone was worried about Seohyun who was crying by the curb. She said it was due to the wedding stress and her worried about marrying so soon, but people were still gossiping. Krystal was away for the moment, so Sulli was just standing around when her phone received a message.

                [I look forward to our session tomorrow, Sulbaby – from Victoria]

                Sulli grinned to herself and was about to text a reply when her phone was yanked from her hand. “Wae?” She found Krystal had returned from checking on her sister and soon-to-be-sister-in-law. The other girl was reading the screen of the doomed phone.

                Krystal’s facial expression darkened like a volcano spewing ashes before it explodes. Then, Sulli watched as her phone flew over the balcony of the second floor. Its screen was smashed to smithereen when it hit the marble floor. “Nooooo!”

                Everything happened in slow motion, but Sulli had no way of saving her phone. Krystal walked away fuming and Sulli wept for the phone that held almost everything about her in it. She had no way of communicating with people for days, since her parents refused to buy her a new phone since that was a new phone. They told her to be more careful with her things and she did not want to snitch on Krystal. So her social life suffered a slight decline and she did not receive or know about Sooyoung’s messages.

                Sulli learned the most important lesson. Never make a Jung jealous.

                ***END FLASHBACK***

                “Argh! Give it back!” Krystal tried to wrestle the phone out of Sulli’s grasp.

                “Noooooooo! I need to call Sooyoung-unni. I want to hang out with her soon!”

                “Use your home phone to call. And I don’t want you to set up dates with other people on the phone that I gave you.”

                “No one has a home phone anymore, that’s soooo two-thousand-and-late. And she’s my cousin!” Sulli protested while she clung onto her new phone.

                “I don’t like her. She hurt my sister.” Krystal shook her head.

                “You know we should let them handle their own affairs. We have us to worry about.” Sulli smiled and leaned in to kiss Krystal’s cheek. “Let’s just be selfish, Soojung-ah.”

                Krystal shivered from the chaste kiss and the sweet whispery way that Sulli said her name. “O-okay.” She nodded and smiled.

                “Good girl.” Sulli kissed Krystal’s other cheek. “Call me when you get home, I want to hear your voice before I sleep.”

                “O-okay …” Krystal smiled coyly and nodded. She did not know since when Sulli got to be so smooth, but her fluttering heart proved that she loved every moment of it. She said goodbye to Sulli, but halfway down the driveway, she turned back and waved, “I’ll talk to you later.”

                Sulli smiled and waited until Krystal got into her car and drove away before she entered her home. Her new phone rang when she got out of the shower. Without checking the caller-id, she picked up immediately.

                “Hey …” Sulli whispered into the receiver.

                [“Hey …”] Answered the other person.

                Sulli smiled and chatted with the owner of her heart until they both were too tired to continue.


Hello :) I needed to write a humorous chapter while explaining some of the past events, so I decided to write Jungli. I find them so cute.

Krystal is a total tsundere in my mind, but Sulli came out a bit more flirty than I thought she would be. Anyways,  back to the drama in the next chapter!