Wednesday – Month 1, Day 5 - Sunny

Love Song

 

(0) message

(0) missed call

(0) voicemail

(1) email

Yo, shikshin. Meet the client in front of the Skylight building at 6PM. Have fun! – the Queen

                Sooyoung chuckled and shook her head at the email, because the Hyoyeon always writes the most succinct emails ever and that ridiculous signature of hers. “Brrr …” Sooyoung slipped her phone into her pocket and zipped up her jacket. She looked at the cars that sped across her in front of the curb. She was twelve minutes early, so the client was not there yet.

                As she amused herself by breathing out steam, Sooyoung shifted around on her feet. After she got out to school and study session, she came to the meeting place to wait for the client. While she was not happy about having to work, she was thankful for something to keep her mind busy and not on … Jessica.

                If there was something that Sooyoung hated most, it was being ignorant about things around her. **sigh** Sooyoung’s spirit sank at the thought of the gorgeous girl who slipped through her fingers once again. Sulli had not replied to her messages and she did not want to have to use Yoona to contact Seohyun. For certain, she did not want Yoona to know anything more about her personal life and even less, she did not want to owe the scheming girl a favor.

                **growl** With a pout, Sooyoung rubbed her belly. Because she was in a hurry, Sooyoung only ate an apple for lunch and now it was taking a toll on her belly. She stuck her hands into her pockets and paced around, while considering waiting inside the building. As she directed her steps toward the door, she noticed a police patrol car slowing down until it stopped next to the curb. The tinted window prevented her from seeing the driver clearly, but they were waving for her to get in.

                “Hmmm … this is new …” Sooyoung hesitated before she opened the door and looked at the driver. “Hyomin?”

                “Long time no see.” Hyomin replied with a bored expression on her face.

                “Uh … you’re the client?” Sooyoung was not sure how to proceed. She looked at the other girl, who was in plain clothes right now.

                “Hurry up and get in, you’re letting the heat out.”

                Sooyoung wanted to slide into the passenger side, but it was covered with paperwork and equipment. She looked at Hyomin, who had on a large pair of dark shades. The policewoman nodded her head to the back seat.

                “You’ve got to be kidding me! You’re putting me in the cage?” Sooyoung protested, “I know how you feel about my work, but I don’t have to take this kind of abuse from you. If you want to lecture me again …” Before Sooyoung could finish her rant, Hyomin held up her hand to signal for silence.

                “Get in the back or I’ll tell Sunny where you work and live.” Hyomin said in her smug voice.

                Sooyoung paused to consider her options before quietly slinking into the backseat. “Great, I feel like a criminal.”

                The car pulled away from the curb and Hyomin remained quiet, not even offering an explanation for all this. Sooyoung stayed quiet and twiddled her thumbs nervously. She was curious about the reason why Hyomin requested her. The other woman happened to know about Sooyoung’s line of work when the police raided their building once, under the suspicion that they were running an illegal operation. If she remembered correctly, scam and ion were on the warrant. However, when they could not prove anything, they departed with their head hung low.

                Sooyoung knew from then on that Hyomin would always suspect that she was doing something illegal. The older woman tried to talk to her into quitting. But, despite Hyomin’s prejudice, Sooyoung found her work rather fun and meaningful at times. So they argued and Hyomin became cold toward Sooyoung. In a way, Hyomin was similar to Jessica, not only in physical form, but also their straight laced personality.

                “Sulli called Sunny on Sunday night. She said that she saw you and hung out with you at the mall.” Hyomin broke the silence.

                “Oh … that Jinri ...” Sooyoung shook her head while she thought about her mischievous cousin.

                “Sunny pretended that she didn’t care, but the past few days I’ve only heard her gripe about how you never call or hang out with her. I’ve had enough, so you have to make this right.”

                “You mean, I have to go deal with an agitated Sunny?” Sooyoung gulped, “Let me out right now!” She reached for the door handle, but she forgot that she was sitting in the backseat of a police car. No matter how many times she pulled on the handle, the lock remained engaged. It was built to keep people in. People like her.

                “It’s your fault for not contacting Sunny first. You know how much your cousin cares about you.” Hyomin smirked when she saw Sooyoung’s panicked face in the rear view mirror.

                “Please, Hyomin. You know how she gets … if she was griping a few nights already, she’s probably has built up enough anger to beat me! Please don’t take me to my death!”

                Hyomin could not help but to chuckle at that. She does in fact know her girlfriend.

                “I’ll admit to anything, please arrest me officer! I stole candy from a store when I was eight. I scratched someone’s car and didn’t leave a note … I-I littered!” Sooyoung shook the divider between the front and backseat.

                “It’s too late now, Choi Sooyoung. You must pay for your crimes.” Hyomin snickered then started to laugh evilly.

                No matter how much Sooyoung begged, Hyomin merely turned up the volume of the radio to drown out her voice. Sooyoung stared dejectedly out the window at the blurry landscapes while her mind drifted back to an earlier point in time. Sunny is her cousin, a very long distance cousin, who sees her as a younger sister. Because Sunny is the youngest in her family, she always wanted a younger sibling. When Sunny was introduced to Sooyoung at a family function, the energizer immediately declared her love for the younger girl. She dragged Sooyoung with her everywhere and took care of her like her own sibling.

When Sooyoung was at her lowest point, Sunny and her family helped Sooyoung move on with life. However, their concern and love were so overwhelming that she tends to avoid them. Not only that, but Sunny and Sulli had a habit of competing with each other for Sooyoung’s attention. Their love is suffocating for the normally independent woman.

                Hyomin parked the car in front of a covered food stand and got out. Sooyoung looked at the faded blue canopy that changed shape with the wind. She eyed the covered door that concealed her future, or possibly lack of one. The car door unlocked with a click and Hyomin opened the door for her.

                “Unni~ Hyomin-unni~ Does Sooyoungie really have to go in?” Sooyoung batted her lashes and tried her most potent aegyo.

                Hyomin shrugged, “You know I live with Sunny, right? Your aegyo got nothing on hers.” The police officer signaled for her to get out, “Hurry.”

                Sooyoung made a frowning face at the older girl before she stepped out to the chilly air. She looked around to find herself surrounded by an unfamiliar part of town. The food stall was situated in a wide alley that she was not familiar with.  As if Hyomin had read Sooyoung’s mind, she shook her head. “You can run until your long legs fall off, but you won’t get away.”

                Hyomin walked ahead and opened the canopy door. The warmth from the kitchen and aroma of food became intoxicating to Sooyoung’s senses. She lowered her head and stepped inside. Hyomin had already located Sunny’s table and chirped. “Sunny-ah~” Hyomin’s sudden sweet tone caused Sooyoung to shiver.

                “Hyominnie~” Sooyoung heard Sunny’s aegyo and that caused goose bumps to develop on her arms.

                “Sunny-ah, I have a surprise for you today. So close your eyes.” Hyomin said after giving Sunny a quick hug. Sunny was smiling at Hyomin, who was her cheek lovingly. They looked perfect where they were standing. Sooyoung’s reservation dissipated and she felt jealous about how fortunate they are to be with the person they love.

                “Sunny-ah~” Sooyoung cried and opened her arms when Sunny finally closed her eyes. She took the short girl by surprised when she threw her arms around Sunny’s shoulders. Hyomin stepped back to let Sunny enjoy the surprise.

                “Sooyoung?” Sunny’s voice is muffled by Sooyoung’s jacket.

                “I missed you so much, Sunny!” Sooyoung’s pre-emptive strike seemed to have worked until Sunny kicked her in the shin. Then her ear felt a burning sensation. “Ouch!”

                “You think you can fool me with your fake sentiments?” Sunny tugged Sooyoung’s ear a little harder, causing the taller girl to sit down next to her.

                “Ow ow ow owie … I’m sorry, Sunny-unni! Please, don’t rip my ear out!” Sooyoung cried.

                “Darling, you’re causing a scene. Please, I don’t want to have to arrest you.” Hyomin gently patted Sunny’s hand after she sat on the other side of Sunny. The angry girl finally released Sooyoung’s ear. “Fine.” She pouted cutely at her girlfriend, who sweetly kissed her cheek.

                Sooyoung pretended to gag while she gently rubbed her ear, which was red and hot from the pain. She pouted while the lovers were occupied with each other. Her cool hand made her ear felt a bit better, but only when Sunny pushed a plate of food in front of her did she smile.

                “Thanks, Sunny-ah.” Sooyoung made a cute kissy face toward the other girl.

                “You’re not the hook yet. So why did you hang out with Sulli instead of me? Hmm?”

                “I didn’t hang out with her. I ran into her for just a minute at the mall.” Sooyoung answered after stuffing her face with chicken and lettuce.

                “So you had time for the mall, but not to call me?” Sunny narrowed her eyes, which caused her to look even scarier.

                “No! It was for work!” Sooyoung shook her head vehemently while Sunny threatened her with a chopstick.

                “It’s been three months since your last call; you have to check in at least monthly!”

                “Why? I’m a grown woman; I don’t have to report to you every month!”

                “What? You’re talking back to me now? I didn’t raise you to be a bad kid who talks back!”

                “You didn’t raise me well at all, you spoiled me!”

                They continued to argue while Hyomin quietly gobbled up the food.

                “So what’s going on with you?” Sooyoung asked before taking a shot of her soju.

                “Nothing much. Hyominnie and I took over the farm so my parents could travel more. Since I’m finishing up my agriculture degree, it’s turning out quite well. We even bought a cow together, we named her Greenie.” Sunny grinned at her girlfriend, who answered with a wink.

                “You could call me, you know? I would want to hear what you have been up to.” Sooyoung poured herself some more soju, it was helping her warm up.

                “I know, but you’re busy with work and studying. I didn’t want to disturb. I was hoping that you’d call when you have time.”

                “I’ll keep that in mind.” Sooyoung nodded, then reached out with her chopstick. “Hyomin! You ate all the lettuce! What are we supposed to wrap our meat with now?” Sooyoung pointed at the empty vegetable plate.

                “What can I say? I love lettuce. Sunny and lettuce are all I need.” Hyomin shrugged then put her arm around Sunny’s shoulders.

                “Awww, Hyominnie. You’re so sweet, that’s why I’m growing more lettuce this season for you.”

                “C’mon … stop being so lovey dovey, I’m trying to eat here.” Sooyoung’s cheeks are fully expanded with food.

                “Are you jealous? Why don’t you find a girlfriend?”

                “…” Sooyoung suddenly was reminded of a certain girl. She lowered her chopsticks and sighed.

                “What’s wrong?” Sunny asked concernedly. “Did someone dump you? You want me to beat her?”

                “I … met Jessica again …”

                “Jessica? As in Jung Jessica? As in the love of your life?” Sunny’s eyes rounded out of surprise. She gently punched Sooyoung’s shoulder, “You didn’t mention this first?”

                “Yes …” Sooyoung nodded, “but I haven’t been able to get in touch with her.” She looked just as depressed as she sounded.

                “So how did this happen?” Sunny leaned forward out of interest. Hyomin appeared indifferent, but she also leaned forward.

                Sooyoung told them everything that happened in the past few days, minus the part about her work since Sunny did not know about it. Sunny would disapprove for sure and then worse things may happen if word gets back to Sooyoung’s family. So Sooyoung told the story as if Yoona was merely a friend who needed help.

                “Oh wow, that’s complicated …” Sunny shook her head before she took a swig of her soju.

                “Tell me about it. So when did Sulli call you? Can you call her for me?” Sooyoung asked in a hopeful voice.

                “I tried calling her to invite her here for dinner, but for some reason the phone kept sending me to voicemail. I think her phone is off.” Sunny replied with a headshake.

                “Oh … alright.” Sooyoung’s stomach sank since a brief moment of hope was dashed from her.

                “I … can look up her information for you if you want. You know, since I’m a detective and all. ” Hyomin finally spoke up.

                “Could you?” Sooyoung perked up.

                “Yea. It’s not technically ethical or legal, but I can try. Since she just returned from abroad, her information may not be updated in the database yet. So I don’t promise anything.” Hyomin smiled at Sunny, who was looking so adoringly at her helpful lover.

                “Any help is appreciated!” Sooyoung almost leapt across the table to hug the policewoman. “I thought you were such a stiff who had not heart, but I was wrong!”

                “Hey, no need to cushion your words, eh?” Hyomin leaned away from Sooyoung’s reach, “Just promise to call Sunny more often, I don’t want her to feel sad missing you. If you don’t, I will drag you back to the farm and tie you next to the cow.”

                Sooyoung nodded happily and hugged Sunny instead. “Sunny-ah! You have the best girlfriend ever!”

                “Haha.” Sunny nodded, “I know. Hyominnie is nice to the people I love.” From the way they looked at each other, their loving gaze and understanding smile, Sooyoung felt jealous. She yearned for this connection with someone.

                “Of course.” Hyomin nodded and handed Sooyoung her phone. “Just input her name, birth date, and whatever you can remember. I’ll look it up at the station tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Hyomin.” Sooyoung bowed gratefully toward Hyomin. “I didn’t know that you were detective now.”

                “Yea, I got promoted about two months back. Around the same time we took over the farm.” Hyomin showed Sooyoun her new badge.

                “Congratulations!” Sooyoung smiled then lowered her voice, “So … will you be investigating …”

                “Homicides.” Hyomin rolled her eyes. She knew that Sooyoung was curious if she was in the Vice division and anything that may be pointed toward Skylight.

                “Ah … good.” Sooyoung realized her mistake when Sunny looked at her weirdly.

                “Oh speaking of tomorrow, you’ll pick up the truck tomorrow, Hyominnie?” Sunny’s sudden topic change made Sooyoung feel relieved.

                “Yes, Joon said he finished replacing the waterpump so it should be good now. I’m tired of driving that patrol car around. I miss my truck.”

                “Ooo … before you return the patrol car … maybe you want to put on your uniform and … we’ll have some fun, hmm?” Sunny leaned extra close to Hyomin and kissed her earlobe.

                “Oh … I’d like that …” Hyomin blushed redly and cooed.

                “Ewwww!” Sooyoung made a face.

                “Alright, cousin. We have to get out of here, Hyominnie needs to arrest a naughty girl. Remember to call me often, or else I’ll kick your !” Sunny stood up and dragged Hyomin with her. It all happened so quickly, but Sooyoung managed to catch a glimpse of Hyomin’s excited face.

                “I didn’t need to know that … Hey! The check!” Sooyoung pointed at the table full of empty plates. “Seriously …” She smiled and paid off the bill, since Hyomin gave her hope of contacting Jessica soon. That alone was worth any amount of money.

                When she stepped outside, Sooyoung realized that she did not know where she was. So, she cursed the Bunny until she managed to find the main road to hail a cab.

               


               

Hello readers! This chapter ... I had the hardest time writing because of writer's block! I love the Subyung couple, so they managed to bribe themselves into all my story ideas!

Thanks for reading and the next chapter should be up soon. Exams are over! Yay! So does anyone have major plans for this winter?