The First Time Soori Met

Love Song

 

13 YEARS AGO

                  9-year-old Yuri kept her eyes on the horizon as the water came up to her ankle. Despite it being the middle of summer, the lake water was cold, giving her chills as she took another step. The wind pushed her hair back as she continued to wade away from shore. No one was around so no one would witness the end of her nine miserable years. She almost laughed at herself for feeling bad about that.

                  As the water rose to the hem of her dress, it started to cover the bruises on her legs. She wondered why she was walking so slow, when she came to the lake with the intention to end her life. She had worn her prettiest dress and shoes that day, since she wanted to look her best when they would find her body. Yuri did not scribble a note so she bet it would be shocking when they find her. She wondered how her dad would react.

                  ‘The bastard wouldn’t even care.’ Yuri thought with a bitter smile on her lips. ‘He wouldn’t be sober enough to care.’

                  The water reached her knees, causing her dress to float up and billow around her like a blooming flower. Her steps became unsteady as the underwater current made it more difficult. In her head, she reminisced about the events of her short little life before she smiled. She bid farewell to the yelling, the screaming, the crying, and last but not least, the beating. She said goodbye to a hateful world of a runaway mom and an alcoholic dad. She did not know if heaven or hell was real, but she deemed it a better gamble than living in pain everyday.

                  She was up to her waist in water when she heard splashing sounds from behind her and the voice of a woman calling, “Choi Sooyoung, you better get back here!”

                  Out of curiosity, Yuri turned back and saw a small child, dressed in a colorful swimsuit, splashing as she ran from the shore. The kid had a gleeful look on her face, one filled of happiness and hope, which are both foreign concepts to Yuri. She was running so fast that the water splashed around her little legs before she tripped and fell face first into the water.

                  Yuri could not help but laugh at the pitiful kid who picked herself right up and dashed past Yuri.

                  “Umma, watch me swim!” Little Sooyoung waved back to her mother as she continued to wade outward.

                  “Choi Sooyoung, get back here! You’ve only got one day of swimming lesson!” The woman yelled while kicking off her shoes.

                  “Nooooo! Look! I can swim!” Little Sooyoung shook her head and dove into the water. She doggy-paddled around with a determined look on her face.

                  Yuri, who was standing not too far away, could tell that she was struggling. The little prideful kid just continued to get further out while her mother yelled for her to come back. No one paid attention to the girl in a dress standing in the water. They were too involved with themselves. Yuri wondered why the woman did not come out to get her daughter. ‘Foolish woman, that kid is getting further out to the deeper area.’ Yuri thought.

                  “Sooyoung, please! Come back! You know umma can’t swim. Please honey, come back!” The woman screamed as Sooyoung’s head disappeared underwater. “I’m going to get your appa!”

                  Yuri continued to watch the scene unfold as little Sooyoung’s head disappeared beneath the waves several times. Her arms waved wildly as she struggled to keep her head above the water. She was in the deep. The mother ran and screamed for her husband while her child yelped for help.

                  As a bystander, who had the intention of drowning herself, Yuri wanted to stay out of this business. But the kid’s cry for help made her rush out and swam toward little Sooyoung. Yuri had always been comfortable in water, she would swim all day if she could, and that was why she wanted to die in water, the only place she ever felt happy in. When Yuri reached Sooyoung, the kid had already gone under. Yuri could hear voices and screams from the shore as she dove down to catch the girl. The water at the lake was slightly murky, but Yuri managed to grasp onto Sooyoung’s bathing suit.

                  Yuri’s burning lungs gasped for air as she dragged the child back up to the surface. Sooyoung was already unconscious, which made it easier for Yuri to swim with her in tow. It was a struggle for her to keep Sooyoung’s head above water, but soon she felt the presence of someone close to them. A man reached down and pulled them both up. Yuri felt his strength as he easily carried one of them in each arm and ran to shore. Yuri was dropped to her feet at shore while Sooyoung was laid on her back.

                  The woman, Sooyoung’s mother, did CPR on her child while two other kids watched with worried looks on their faces. The girl was crying into her brother’s shoulder, why the brother struggled to hold his own tears. They were hardly older than Yuri. Yuri’s adrenaline was too high, she could hear her ears drumming while she watched the woman compressed Sooyoung’s chest. She was jealous that if Sooyoung died, the kid would have at least four people to mourn for her, while Yuri would have none. However, Yuri prayed within her heart that Sooyoung would live, so none of these people would have to be in pain.

                  Relief washed over Yuri when Sooyoung coughed and moved. She smiled for the first time that day, actually, that year. She felt her prayers were answered and this strange sensation welled up inside her heart. She laughed for the first time in years and clapped her hands. She had saved a life when she intended to take her own. It was strange how things worked, but Yuri did not feel the calling of the water anymore. She wanted to continue to live.

                  When Sooyoung opened her eyes, she could make out her mother and father’s face, but she noticed a girl with dark hair walking away from them. The figure was blurry and small, weighed down by the burden of the world, but her steps were light. Sooyoung did not have time to think much of it because she was busy fighting off her parents’ smothering kisses and her sibling’s scolding. Sooyoung was happy in the warmth of her family, she was oblivious to the ways of the world.


              

3 YEARS AGO

 

                  A year after Sooyoung was sent to Japan, she managed to save enough money to buy her ticket home. Home was a loose term, since her family had moved and Jessica was away. She lived with Sunny’s family at their farm for a few months, before her enrollment at Chung-Ang University called for her to move into a dorm. Since coming to the university, she decided to stop relying on Sunny’s family, so she searched for a job to support herself through school. Much to her dismay, the only job that Sooyoung was able to find was at a public swimming pool.

                  If there was anything that scared her more than Sunny’s aegyo, it was a public swimming pool. Since she went through a microbiology course, it horrified her to think about the culture of microorganisms sloshing around in that water. She was not a germaphobe, but the thought of that scared her. Even more important, Sooyoung did not know how to swim, so the thought of drowning in germ-infested water was highly alarming to her. She had a small incident of almost drowning when she was a kid, so she tried to stay away from the water.

                  Sooyoung’s job entails cleaning the pool area and the locker-room. She was paid fairly decent for a manual labor position. Together with three other college students, she helped keep the place clean. They divided up their shifts to tailor to their school schedule. Sooyoung usually took the evening shifts, since her classes were earlier in the day. She enjoyed the peacefulness at the pool after five o’clock, since there were no screaming children and concerned parents yelling.

                  One Friday night, Sooyoung reported to work after a long day at school. She trudged to the locker-room to change into her work uniform, a light orange jumpsuit that made her look like a prison inmate. As she stored her clothes away, she heard the door opened and the sound of heels clacked against the tiles. Curious, since pool hours were over, she peeked around the corner to see a girl turning the dial of a locker.

                  “Ahem … miss.” Sooyoung cleared to get the girl’s attention. “The pool is closed now.” She thought maybe this person did not know and also did not see the closed sign posted.

                  The girl, who was only shorter than Sooyoung by a centimeter or two, turned back and smiled at Sooyoung. “I know.” She then opened her locker and stuffed her purse inside, before she started to remove her clothes.

                  Sooyoung stared in disbelief at this rude person. Sure, she was tanned and beautiful, but it did not give her any privilege here at the public pool, especially not when Choi Sooyoung was on duty. “I’m glad you know … so what are you still doing here?” She was in no mood for foolishness after the day she had.

                  “I’m going to take a swim, of course.” The girl replied with a smile as she removed her shirt and tank top to reveal her white swim-top underneath. It was a crop top designed to show off her chocolate abs.

                  “What part of ‘the pool is closed’ don’t you understand, lady?” Sooyoung walked closer to the girl, who has started to her jeans.

                  “Quit yelling, your voice is really loud and it echoes in here.” The other girl continued to annoy Sooyoung with her teasing grin and slipped out of her jeans. She had on a red swim-shorts.

                  “If you don’t get out of here, I’ll have to call security.” Sooyoung threatened.

                  “Look here.” The other girl tapped on a circular patch that was stitched to her swim-top. It read ‘Kwon Yuri. Certified Lifeguard’ around the crest of the public pool. “I’m a lifeguard here so I get to swim whenever I want. Ask the manager tomorrow.”

                  Sooyoung wanted to lean closer to verify the authenticity of the badge. But Kwon Yuri already grabbed her towel and walked to the door before Sooyoung had a chance to protest. She groaned and was annoyed at the thick-skinned lifeguard; however, she was not interested in starting a fight at that moment. She spent some time cleaning the locker-room and showers before she grabbed her broom and mop to go out to the pool.

                  The sun had gone to another part of the world and the night was quiet, except the sound of a certain swimmer in the pool. Sooyoung dragged her cleaning equipment out, but was soon distracted by the beautiful swimming form. Yuri was demonstrating the best of swimming forms; from the way she kicked off the wall to the switch and tilt of her body. Sooyoung hated to admit that she was envious, but she knew she would never be able to swim this well.

                 Yuri continued to swim, ignoring her sole audience, and Sooyoung continued to be captivated by Yuri’s skills. She could not clean the pool until it is vacant. Instead, she cleaned the area around it and checked all the water filters. The evening air was warm even for a summer night and Sooyoung felt hot in her long uniform. She bent down to roll up the cuff of her pants, so that her slender legs could have some air. When she looked up, Yuri was already climbing out of the pool. Water dripped off her body and pitter-pattered onto the ground while she squeezed her hair with a towel.

 

                  “Did you enjoy the show?” Yuri smiled at Sooyoung and continued to dry her hair. The taller girl felt like the other girl was mocking her, so she shrugged and continued on with her cleaning.

                  “Hey, what’s your name?” Yuri suddenly turned around and asked the quiet girl.

                  “Choi Sooyoung.” Sooyoung replied without looking.

                  “Nice to meet you, Sooyoung. I’m Yuri.” Yuri smiled.

                  Sooyoung frowned because the other girl called her name informally. They were not even friends, so it was rather rude. She rolled her eyes and continued her work since she did not want to justify Yuri’s teasing with a reply.

                  “You’re a quiet one, aren’t you?” Yuri tilted her head and watched the sullen girl.

                  Sooyoung stopped her sweeping and looked at Yuri. “I’m just trying to do my job, Yuri-ssi.”

                  “Oh I see that. But you can work with your hands and talk with your mouth, can’t you?” Yuri sat down on one of the loungers and watched Sooyoung, much to the younger girl’s dismay. Sooyoung felt self-conscious being watched like that, especially by a strange person.

                  “I can, but I’d rather not.” Sooyoung picked up the net to clean the pool.

                  “Do you like to swim, Sooyoung?”

                  Sooyoung huffed at the sudden question and shook her head. “No.”

 

                 “Do you know how to swim?”

                  “No.”

                  “For someone named Sooyoung, you don’t know how to swim?” Yuri chuckled.

                  “So?” Sooyoung glared at her.

                  “Did something happen to you as a child? Like a swimming accident?”

                  Sooyoung froze and turned to look questionably at Yuri. She was confused why this girl seemed so interested in her business and asked such personal questions. Her years of watching dramas taught her that maybe this person knew something about her. However, she could not remember Yuri at all. “Why do you ask?” She was guarded against anyone who seemed too friendly.

                  “No reason.” Yuri shrugged and draped her towel around her shoulders. “Studies show that people who don’t like to swim had some sort of swimming incident when they were young.” She coolly replied, but Sooyoung could not shake the feeling that she knew something.

                  “What if I did?” Sooyoung watched Yuri very carefully.

                  There was a brief look of surprise on Yuri’s face, and Sooyoung could have sworn a hint of happiness, but then Yuri shrugged. “I don’t know, I’m not a psychologist.”

                  “Then why did you ask?” This enigmatic lifeguard now intrigued Sooyoung.

                  Yuri smiled and shook her head, “I was curious to see if it was a valid study.”

                  “Okay …” Sooyoung moved further away from Yuri, hoping to avoid any more conversation with the other girl. It seemed to work as Yuri remained quiet while she stared into the water that reflected light. Sooyoung tried to ignore the tanned girl but the sudden silence was awkward. She felt bad after a while, so she coughed, “Shouldn’t you go home or something?”

                  Yuri looked her way and smiled again. She actually looked pretty sweet when she smiled. “When will you be done with work?”

                  Sooyoung was surprised again by Yuri’s left-field question. “In a little bit. Why?”

                  “Want to grab dinner and drinks?”

                  “Huh?”

                  “I asked if you wanted to eat dinner and have drinks with me?” Yuri repeated with a grin on her face while she rose from the lounger.

                  “I heard you the first time …” Sooyoung spoke slowly, “I just wonder why.”

                  “I just want to make a new friend, is that too hard to believe?” Yuri walked closer to Sooyoung, causing the cautious girl to scoot away. “Why are you being so weird?”

                  “Me? Being weird?” Sooyoung rounded one corner of the pool. “You’re the one acting weird. I don’t even know you and you’re asking me to dinner and drinks.”

                  “It’s how people become friends! Share meals and drinks and talk and all that stuff.” Yuri followed Sooyoung with a relaxed pace. “For heaven’s sake, it’s not a date.”

                  “No, it’s not a date! Because you’re scaring me! I don’t know where they will find my body if I go with you!” Sooyoung retorted and picked up her pace.

                  Yuri also walked faster. “I just want to be your friend!”

                  “That’s creepy! Stay away!” Sooyoung yelled back and walked more briskly.

                  “Don’t run around the pool, be careful!” Yuri replied.

                  “Like hell I wi- AH!” Sooyoung tripped over the handle of the pool leaf net. Momentarily, she lost her balance and wobbled around before her eventual downfall. She toppled over the edge of the pool and into the water.

                  “AH! I’M DROWNING! *gulp* HELP ME! *gulp* HELP!” Sooyoung struggled in the water, just like that one time when she was young. All her fears came rushing back. She kicked and struggled as her body thrashed around in the water.

                  “Come have dinner with me!” Was all that Sooyoung heard. Even in her moment of panic, she was confused about this strange woman. So many bossy women already surrounded her life one more could not hurt. She tried to reply but the water rushed into , causing her words to sound gargled.

                  “Is that a yes or no?” Yuri called out.

                  “YES!” Sooyoung screamed as her nose and lungs burned. “HELP!”

                  “Stand up!” Yuri yelled.

                  Huh?

                  “Stand up!” Yuri yelled again. “The pool’s only five feet deep!”

                  Sooyoung felt stupid when her feet touched the bottom of the pool. Her face was redder than a tomato when she was a good seven inches higher than the water level. Standing there, drenched from head to toe, she looked up at Yuri who was holding her stomach and laughing like an idiot. “I hope you are happy.” Sooyoung gritted her teeth.

                  “Of course! HAHAHA!” Yuri laughed until tears came out of her eyes. “I warned you! KEKEKE!” She laughed until her stomach hurt and her chest was tight.

                  Sooyoung waded out of the water and made her way to the locker-room.

                  “Hey! Where are you going?” Yuri hurried after Sooyoung.

                  “I have to change. Unless you want me to have dinner like this and catch a cold.” Sooyoung’s anger nearly exploded when she saw that toothy grin on Yuri’s face.

                  “Oh no. I wouldn’t want that to happen to my new friend.” Yuri said in her sing-song voice.

                  Sooyoung could only grit her teeth and tighten her fist. “And I wouldn’t want a punch to happen to my new friend’s face.”

                  Yuri paid no mind to Sooyoung’s threat. She happily went to her locker and changed back to her outfit. Her heart was elated and she felt like she could sing. She found Choi Sooyoung. She had seen Sooyoung’s name on the roster of employees at the pool. She had found out Sooyoung’s work schedule and came that night just to see if she was the right Sooyoung. Yuri smiled. She finally found the girl who saved her life.

*drools* (Yuri from Cabi Song) *drools*

 

Hi again, readers. As promised, this is how Soori first met. I know! The scenario is kinda strange ... it came to me last night so I had to scrap what I had already written! lol Totally like me to just write whatever.

Just a minor note. At the time that Soori met a second time, Yuri just started working at Skylight, so she wasn't earning much. Lifeguarding gave her a little extra spending money ... and it was fate because she was brought back to gether with Sooyoung (O.O) ... I thought it was appropriate for her to lifeguard as a part time job.

Anyways, have a good week and I will update again next weekend. Thanks for reading and supporting this story!