Friday – Month 1, Day 14 – Tomorrow

Love Song

 

                  “Mmm …” Sooyoung stirred and immediately the aroma of coffee caused her nostrils to flare. Sleep kept her eyes shut, but she could hear movements in the kitchen, where her houseguest must be brewing a pot of coffee. She felt warmth and fabric around her, while the surface did not feel like her bed.

 

                  While Sooyoung was still slowly trying to wake up, a foreign finger hooked one of her nostrils, causing her eyes to shoot wide open. She was greeted with the strange face of a small boy, who was staring intently at her. “Mason!” She growled and turned away from the boy. Her back felt a bit tense from sleeping on the couch and she felt bad for Taeyeon who had to do so for the past few days.

 

                  After Sunny dropped Mason, who is her little cousin, off at her place, Sooyoung and Taeyeon had to keep the boy entertain. While it was fun at first, the two women’s energy ran out long before the child’s. He wore them ragged until late at night, when they collapsed against each other on the sofa. As usual, Taeyeon woke up earlier than Sooyoung and made breakfast.

 

                  “Aunty Sooyoung is up, Taeyeon-unni!” Mason giggled and clapped before he ran away.

 

                  “You little rascal.” Sooyoung mumbled and closed her eyes again, so that the morning light did not completely dispel her sleepiness away. She was comfortable and happy, so she wanted to remain that way.

 

                  “It’s not his fault, I asked him to wake you since it’s about time for you to get ready for school.” Taeyeon said from the kitchen.

 

                  “I guess so.” Sooyoung replied, but made no effort to move.

 

                  Suddenly, a huge weight landed on her stomach and knocked the wind out of her. “Auf!” She pushed against the sudden mass.

 

                  “Wake up, Aunty Sooyoung! Let’s play!” Mason wiggled around as Sooyoung tried to push him off her stomach.

 

                  “Get off me, boy!” Sooyoung successful removed the burden and immediately sat up. “That was dangerous, you could have crushed my ribs or punctured my lungs.” Normally, Sooyoung was not much of a morning person, and this morning was especially grating to her nerves.

 

                  “But I wanna play! I’m bored!” The curly haired kid complained. “Play with me, Aunty Sooyoung!”

 

                  “How come you call me Aunty but you call Taeyeon-unni as Unni?” Sooyoung rubbed her eyes with her palms and stifled a yawn.

 

                  “Because you’re so big and tall … you must be ancient, right?”

 

                  Sooyoung opened her eyes in shock at Mason’s reply while Taeyeon could be heard cracking up in the kitchen. In fact, the shorter woman’s laugh was so loud and mature that Sooyoung thought some ahjumma had invaded their home. She threw the laughing woman a pointed look before she flicked Mason’s forehead, causing the boy to wince in pain.

 

                  “Owwie.” Mason’s lips pouted and his eyes teared up.

 

                  “What am I? A tree? Just because I’m tall doesn’t mean I’m ancient. I’m younger than that ahjumma, you know.” Sooyoung pointed at Taeyeon, who stopped laughing immediately. “You should call me unni as well.”

 

                  At this point, Mason ran into the kitchen and hugged Taeyeon’s leg. “Taeyeon-unni, that Aunty is so mean. She hurt my forehead!”

 

                  “Argh. I’m going to get that Sunny for leaving this boy here.” Sooyoung threw back her blanket and rose from the sofa. She watched as Taeyeon easily comforted the kid with a morning snack. The older woman’s gentle and caring nature easily pacified even the worst of children.

 

                  Sooyoung stood and leaned against the breakfast counter while she watched Taeyeon interact with her little cousin. She admired the older woman’s patience and calmness. Most of all, she respected Taeyeon’s ability to forgive. Inside her heart, Sooyoung still felt so guilty about her nosiness that led to her confrontation with Tiffany. That happened two days ago, but it still haunted her like it was just moments ago. She felt like she ruined Taeyeon’s chances of getting Tiffany back. But the older woman had been nothing but a saint. Taeyeon forgave and comforted while Sooyoung cried in her arms.

 

                  A blush crept onto Sooyoung’s cheeks when she saw that Taeyeon caught her staring.

 

                  “I am very beautiful, aren’t I?” Taeyeon winked after she had sent Mason off with a snack.

 

                  “You’re radiant.” Sooyoung made her way around the counter and stepped into the kitchen, where she wrapped her arms around Taeyeon and hugged the older woman’s tight. “You’re the perfect unni.” She was sincere in her feelings since Taeyeon was her ideal sister, like the one she used to have.

 

                  “Yah … are you up to no good?” Taeyeon patted Sooyoung’s back, but she laughed nervously. “All these compliments early in the morning aren’t good for my inflated ego.”

 

                  “Your head is already big, no one will notice.” Sooyoung cheekily replied.

 

                  Taeyeon rolled her eyes and poured herself a cup of coffee. “Whatever. Just get your ready for school or you’ll be late.”

 

                  “Yes ma’am.” Sooyoung saluted the short chef and then turned around to get to her room.

 

                  Shortly later, she returned and had breakfast with Mason and Taeyeon. It was the liveliest breakfast that the young woman had in a while. As she looked at the two smiling faces at her table, Sooyoung could not help but grin brightly. She felt like her lonely apartment was starting to feel like a home.

 

                  After breakfast, Sooyoung bid the two farewells before she head to school. Sunny texted her while she was getting ready and requested if Mason could stay with Sooyoung for one more night. While she wanted to decline, Sooyoung felt bad for her cousin, so she reluctantly agreed. Since Taeyeon did not have a shift until the afternoon, she was going to watch Mason until Sooyoung came home. Sooyoung felt even more appreciative of the kind older woman. With a smile to herself, Sooyoung thought that if she was not careful, she might fall for the sweet Taeyeon. And what a mess that may turn out to be.



 

                  *RingRingRing* Sooyoung’s phone chirped while she was on her way out of class. She was hurrying since she had to return home to watch Mason while Taeyeon.

 

                  “Hello, this is Sooyoung.” The tall pre-med student answered as she tossed her bookbag to the passenger seat inside her car.

 

                  [“Hi Sooyoung-unni!”] A voice that was distinctively cheerful greeted Sooyoung’s ear.

 

                  “Hey, Jinri.” Sooyoung replied with a small smile while she backed her car out. “How’s it going?”

 

                  [“Everything’s good, how about you, unni?”]

 

                  “Sunny dropped off Mason for me to babysit so she could have alone time with Hyomin. So … I’ve been a bit busy.”

 

                  [“Mason? I haven’t seen that little dude since … last Christmas, I think. He’s a handful! I’m sorry the bunny pawned him off on you.”]

 

                  “Yea.” The two cousins shared a laugh. While Sunny was not a particularly girl, at the beginning of her and Hyomin’s relationship, Sulli and Sooyoung would always find them in compromising positions. So the two tall bullies nicknamed her “ bunny” and it became her sort of codename.

 

                  [“So what are you doing tomorrow?”] Sulli asked after her laughter subsided.

 

                  “I’m not sure. Work has been quiet so I may study instead. What do you have in mind?”

 

                  [“Something that will make you say you love me forever!”] Sooyoung had to hold her phone away from her ear because Sulli suddenly got very loud.

 

                  “Really now …” She doubted whatever Sulli is plotting.

 

                  [“Yep. In fact, you will owe me a big one. You will bow down to me for being so awesome.”] The smugness in Sulli’s voice started to pique Sooyoung’s curiosity.

 

                  “Hurry up and tell me, then!” Sooyoung laughed.

 

                  [“Come volunteer with me at Habitat for Humanity tomorrow. It’s from noon to five.”]

 

                  Sooyoung snorted, “I understand that doing good will get me good karma, but I really need to study. Once I get into med school, I’ll do a lot of good and get even more karma. So …”

 

                  [“Did I mention that Jessica-unni is also coming?”] With that one sentence, Sulli had Sooyoung on the hook. Sooyoung’s car came to a screeching halt when she almost ran a red light.

 

                  “What? Say that again. You better not be joking with me or else I will bring Mason to your house next.” Sooyoung could not still her excited heart.

 

                  [“Don’t be mean to me. I’m trying to help you out, here.”] Sulli’s voice was a soft whine that made Sooyoung think she was pouting.

 

                  “Alright alright, I’m sorry … if this is true, I will owe you a big one. I’ll do whatever you want!”

 

                  [“I know. I’ll email you a list of what I want later. Just show up at the location that I’ll text to you at noon tomorrow. Wear comfy work clothes and gloves!”]

 

                  Sooyoung was so happy that she could kiss Sulli right now, if that was not horribly weird. “Okay! Thank you so much!”

 

                  [“Just don’t tell anyone I told you about this. Krystal wouldn’t be happy with me if she knew I was helping you. You better not mess this up … because she would seriously make me into shoes.”]

 

                  “I won’t let you down, coach. Thank you for looking after me!”

 

                  [“Yea yea. You’re only nice to me when Jessica-unni is involved. Anyways, I’ll see you tomorrow, Sooyoung-unni.”]

 

                  Sooyoung said goodbye to Sulli and sped her away home. She was in a daze as her mind ran through the possible scenarios of her meeting with Jessica tomorrow. When she finally parked her car, she grabbed her bag and hurried to her apartment. The joy was bursting out of her chest and she had to share it with somebody.

 

                  “Taeyeon-unni!” Sooyoung yelled happily as soon as she got through the door.

 

                  “Sooyoung!” Taeyeon replied with an equally loud voice.

 

                  They ran to each other, each b with happiness and eager to tell the other person their good news.

 

                  “I’m going to get to see Jessica tomorrow!” “Tiffany asked me out on a date tonight!” They both said at the same time.

 

                  “What?” “What?” It happened again.

 

                  “You first!” “Tell me!” And again.

 

                  “No you!” “You!” And again. Before they both spoke at the same time again, Sooyoung just quickly recounted Sulli’s phone call to Taeyeon, who then told her that Tiffany called just before Sooyoung got home.

 

                  “She asked me to dinner with her to talk about things. She sounded very sweet and sincere on the phone … I think … she have thought it over pretty well.” Taeyeon beamed with hope and happiness. Sooyoung could not help but giggled girlishly and pull the shorter woman into tight embrace.

 

                  “I’m so happy for you!” Sooyoung laughed and waved at Mason, who was watching them from not far away. He was curious why they were giggling and yelling so loudly. “So when and where are you going?”

 

                  “She said she would come by to pick me up at seven.”

 

                  “What are you going to wear?” Sooyoung looked at Taeyeon, who was in her usual casual jeans and t-shirt.

 

                  “I’m not sure, maybe a nice top with jeans?” Taeyeon looked down at her own attire.

 

                  “No way!” Sooyoung shook her head vehemently. “This is your chance to show her that you are a great catch. Make me regret ever looking at anyone else.”

 

                  “What do you want me to do then?” Taeyeon was feeling self-conscious about how she never thought about these things.

 

                  Sooyoung glanced down at her watch. “It’s already four-twenty … no matter. I got skills.” She said a mantra to herself. “Grab your purse, we’re going to the mall.” She dropped her bookbag and went to get Mason.

 

                  “What? Now? Isn’t it too late?” Taeyeon felt a little bit panicked.

 

                  “Never say never.” Sooyoung picked Mason up and walked to the door.

 

                  “But I didn’t say never.” Taeyeon followed Sooyoung after she had gotten her purse.

 

                  “Then we will be good, then.”

 

                  “What’s good?”

 

                  “That you didn’t say never.”

 

                  “What? You’re confusing me.” Taeyeon frowned.

 

                  “Exactly.” Sooyoung sly smiled as she watched realization dawned on Taeyeon’s face. They were already in Sooyoung’s car. “Confusion tactics. Works everytime. You didn’t even remember to protest.”

 

                  Taeyeon stuck her tongue out at the younger woman, who drove them all to the biggest mall in Seoul.



 

 

                  It took them a little over an hour to pick out a dress that would please Sooyoung, who was eliminating them left and right. Taeyeon was getting exhausted having to change in and out of numerous dresses and skirts. She almost snapped when Sooyoung shoved her into another dressing room with a black dress.

 

                  “C’mere, Mason.” Sooyoung smiled at the boy, who had been behaving extra good this afternoon. When he came with unsteady steps, she picked him up and set him on her lap. Together they played for a few moments before the dressing room door creaked open.

 

                  Sooyoung looked up and instantly she was enchanted. Mason had to push her jaws up so would not hang wide open. She gulped loudly before she stood up, holding Mason in her arms.

 

                  “So …” Taeyeon was blushing from the attention. “What do you think?” She shyly looked at Sooyoung, then back at the mirror nearby.

 

                  “Oh … my … goddess …” Sooyoung stepped closer to examine the stunning woman in the perfect dress. “Can you just go out with me instead? I can be your slav- I mean – girlfriend.”

 

                  Taeyeon nervously laughed while her cheeks burned brightly. “Stop joking around.”

 

                  Sooyoung could not tear her gaze away from the curve hugging black dress that knew how to impress. The back was open, so Taeyeon’s was on display. There was something extra y about the shy blush on Taeyeon’s cheeks. Overall, the woman looked perfect, especially when she smiled. Sooyoung was enthralled by the absolute radiance. Taeyeon was transformed from innocent looking unni to smoking hot unni.

BEFORE:                                                                                  AFTER:

                                                         

 

                  “You look amazing! I don’t even know how to describe you … we HAVE to get this dress.” Sooyoung nodded and waved the saleswoman over. “We’re buying the dress and shoes. She’s going to wear then out, if you would be so kind to bag up her other outfit, please.” She handed her credit card over to the lady when Taeyeon was checking out her reflection in the mirror.

 

                  Taeyeon captivated even the saleslady. When Taeyeon did a little spin, the lady almost walked into a rack of clothing on her way back to the register. Sooyoung chuckled proudly at her unni.

 

                  “Oh no … I can’t afford this!” Taeyeon finally discovered the price tag. Her eyes were wide open with surprise and horror.

 

                  “But I can.” Sooyoung snatched the tag away from her.

 

                  “But I can’t let you do that! You’re just a college student!”

 

                  “I have enough money to spend on my unni. Besides, let me make it up to you.” Sooyoung reached over and pinched the pretty girl’s cheeks.

 

                  “I owe you too much already …”

 

                  “So owe me a little more, it’s alright. I don’t charge interest.” Sooyoung smiled and turned to Mason, who was sitting comfortably in her arms. “Is Taeyeon-unni pretty?”

 

                  The boy nodded after a second. He stared at Taeyeon, who was grinning at him.

 

                  “Really?” Taeyeon smiled.

 

                  “Uh huh.” Mason replied and then shyly buried his head into Sooyoung’s neck.

 

                  “I think someone just confessed.” Sooyoung . “We’ll call it even after this. But right now, we have to get your make up done.” Sooyoung signed the receipt when the lady returned. Despite Taeyeon’s protest, she sheepishly enjoyed checking her reflection in any mirrored surface that they passed by. When Sooyoung caught her doing so, the older woman blushed hotly and talked to Mason instead.


                  She drove like a bat out of hell all the way home so she could do Taeyeon’s hair and make up. It hardly took long since the other woman was already beautiful. There were very little blemish to cover up and Sooyoung wanted to keep her natural aura, so she opted to keep Taeyeon’s hair in a simple tied back style.

                  

                  They both nervously paced the livingroom during the last twenty minutes. Sooyoung felt like a father waiting for his daughter’s date to arrive. The thought had crossed her mind of wanting to spy on the lovebirds, but she decided against such a bad decision.

 

                  “Do you think she will …” Taeyeon started with a shaky doubting voice.

 

                  “She will be here.” Sooyoung said and glanced to the wall clock, where the hour had just struck seven.

 

                  “I’m so nervous.” Taeyeon leaned again Sooyoung for support.

 

                  “Don’t be. She will be here because there is a beautiful woman waiting for her. Tiffany has a good head on her shoulder, I know she will come.” Sooyoung hugged and comforted Taeyeon while Mason tapped Taeyeon’s leg.

 

                  “Yes?” Taeyeon looked down and petted his curly hair.

 

                  “Can I marry you when I grow up?”

 

                  Sooyoung and Taeyeon looked at each other and then bursted into laughter. They laughed on for a while before Taeyeon giggled while trying to answer the hopeful boy. “Okay. Promise that you won’t say I’m old when it’s time.”

 

                  “I promise.” The cute little boy nodded and ran away because he suddenly felt shy again.

 

                  “Aww, see? You’ve even got a back up lover.” Sooyoung laughed while Taeyeon shook her head.

 

                  When Taeyeon opened to reply, the buzzing of her phone interrupted her. Tiffany was parked in front of the building and was waiting for her. She looked up at Sooyoung, who smiled encouragingly at her. She quickly texted a reply and then grabbed her coat.

 

                  “Have fun and good luck, unni.” Sooyoung helped Taeyeon button her coat. “Knock her socks off.”

 

                  “I’ll try.” Taeyeon remained at the doorway and looked at Sooyoung. Their eyes lingered at each other for a moment before the door opened and Taeyeon stepped out.

 

                  For some reason, Sooyoung felt a slight pang of sadness. Once again, her apartment was quiet and still. She walked into the livingroom and scooped Mason onto her lap. He struggled, but she hugged him tightly. When he felt wetness on his cheeks, he looked up and saw big wet droplets of tears freefalling from Sooyoung’s eyes.

 

                  “Why are you crying?” The child asked innocently. His eyes were wide and round, “did I do something wrong?”

 

                  “No.” Sooyoung shook her head, trying to smile, but she could not. “Soon you’re going to leave, too.” Then it would just be me. Sooyoung left out the last part, because she could not bring herself to say it. She did not know where this sadness was coming from, but she hated feeling bipolar like this. She had tomorrow to look forward to, especially with her opportunity to see Jessica. She was happy for that. But today, she wanted to cry her heart out while little Mason tried to comfort her in his own little ways.


Hello again :) I updated! Yay!  I'm happy to have another chapter down.

Thank you all for the support  that you all have given me. It makes me happy to know that people enjoy what I wrote. It's a good feeling! Thanks so much!

Love you all lots!