Tuesday – Month 1, Day 18 – Perhaps … Perhaps … Perhaps …

Love Song

 

                 Jessica the ignition of her car and then slipped on her aviator sunglasses. She pressed a button for the garage to open before she pulled her car out of its spot. It was another lazy day since she came back to Korea. Krystal was at school and her parents were busy with their own business. Being by herself in a big mansion felt so lonely, even if there were maids skittering about. She decided that she should waste her time at a bookstore instead of moping around her home.

                  Another button was pressed and the wrought iron gates of the mansion slowly parted. Jessica the radio and tapped her finger gently on the steering wheel while she waited. As her car lurched forth and her foot depressed on the gas pedal, someone walked out in front of her vehicle. Immediately, she stepped on the brake and felt the whiplash of her belt. She stared at the person who blocked her car and gasped.

                  With a slight frown, Jessica parked her car and then stepped out of vehicle. “Sooyoung, what are you doing?” She walked toward the tall idiot who blocked a moving car.

                  “Hi there.” Sooyoung wriggled her fingers and greeted her with a sheepish smile.

                  “Hi.” Jessica nodded and replied to the other girl. She folded her arms in front of her chest while expecting an answer. The tall girl was looking good even if she just wore skinny jeans, boots, and a plain flannel shirt. Jessica’s eyes fell to the picnic basket that Sooyoung was holding in her right hand.

                  “You have a nice home …” Sooyoung looked past the gate before she looked down at the shiny silver Mercedes, “and a sweet ride!” She grinned and ignored Jessica’s expectant look, which only caused the older girl even more irritation.

                  “Soo …” Jessica started, but Sooyoung was not listening. The younger girl circled around the shiny car before she nonchalantly opened the passenger door and slipped in. “Argggh!” Jessica groaned and went back inside her car. “What are you up to?”

                  Sooyoung fastened her belt with a click and smiled. “So where were you heading to?”

                  Jessica’s eyes widen as if they were about to pop. She was astonished at Sooyoung’s innocent act. “The bookstore.” She answered bluntly, though it came out a bit harsher than she wanted.

“In that case, let’s have lunch together, Jessica, it’s a nice day to be outside today. You’ll turn into a moth if you keep toiling with books.” Sooyoung unabashedly patted the picnic basket. At that moment, Jessica realized that it was the other girl’s intention to con her into this from the beginning.

“We have an agreement, Sooyoung.” Jessica reminded the younger girl as she stared at her pretty face.

“I know.” Sooyoung nodded. “But it’s one of those days that I really need to be with you … can you make an exception for just this once?” With her downward gaze and slightly knitted brows, Sooyoung looked so sad and pitiful.

Jessica opened to object, but the pleading look in Sooyoung’s eyes made her rethink her decision. “Fine.” She sighed and gave into Sooyoung’s audacious demand.

Sooyoung could not help but to clap her hands happily and leaned over to kiss Jessica on the cheek. “Thank you so much, Jessica … now, please drive to the place where we had our first kiss.”

Jessica blushed hotly from the chaste peck on her cheek. At Sooyoung’s direction, she blinked and furrowed her brows. “Why? What are you planning?” She was unsure of how this was all turning out. It had been such a strange time since she came back to Korea. Sooyoung’s sudden appearance made her heart flutter, but a part of her reminded herself to have reservation. She did not want to get hurt again.

“Oh, I’m just trying to woo you, that’s all.” Sooyoung grinned and flashed her pearly whites. Even the hesitant Jessica was momentarily charmed by the brilliance of her smile.

“I’m telling you that it won’t work.” Jessica changed the transmission to drive and finally pulled away from her home.

“I like a good challenge.” Sooyoung chuckled and watched Jessica while the older girl drove.

“Stop watching me. It’s creepy.” Jessica maintained a stoic look on her face while she kept her eyes on the road. “And how did you know where I live, anyways? Did Sulli tell you?”

“I’m not creeping. You’re just too pretty, Sica-ah. You’ve gotten even prettier, now you’re a blooming flower.” Sooyoung sighed and smiled dreamily at Jessica.

“Ugh! Where did you learn these corny words? Yuck!” Jessica scrunched her face up in disgust.

“D’aww! Even the way you wrinkle your nose is cute!”

“Stop it! Stop it now! You’re giving me chills.” Jessica laughed and reached over to smack Sooyoung in the arm. “Gosh, you’re so cheesy!”

Sooyoung laughed along because she finally chipped the princess’ icy exterior. “Chills? You want me to warm you up?” She leaned over and attempted to hug Jessica, but the other woman pushed her away.

“What are you doing?! I’m driving!” Jessica yelled as her car swerved a bit.

After a while of playful bickering, they arrived at their destination. As car doors opened and closed, Sooyoung felt a wave of nostalgia washed over her. She took a sharp breath of cold air into her lungs and looked over at Jessica, who had the same expression as her. They have not been here since four years ago.

Sooyoung walked over to Jessica’s side and held her hand out in front of the older woman. She smiled warmly and nodded at Jessica. “Let’s go, Jess.”

Jessica eyed Sooyoung’s offered hand and finally reached out after a moment of deliberation. The initial warmth of Sooyoung’s smooth palm felt extra comforting and loving. It was a feeling so familiar yet foreign at the same time.

“I’m surprised you still remembered the way here.” Sooyoung squeezed Jessica’s hand and led the other woman around the perimeter of their old high school. Her steps were slow and deliberate while they both took in the details and changes of the recognizable landscape. Being at the same place and breathing the same air brought them back to the past, their hearts swelled and their emotions were overwhelming.

“I would never forget.” Jessica softly replied and moved closer to Sooyoung. “You’re still my shade.” She looked up and smiled at Sooyoung, who was surprised because of those sweet words. Because Jessica was shorter, she always walked extra close to Sooyoung so she could be under the taller girl’s shadow. She used to joke that thanks to Sooyoung, she managed to maintain her pale, porcelain skin.

“And you’re still my beloved shorty.” Sooyoung joked and squeezed Jessica’s hand again.

It took a few minutes of walking before they came to the field that was hidden behind their school. The grass was slightly yellow and brown because it was the start of winter. The trees have shed a significant amount of their leaves. Each and every step they took came with a satisfying crunch beneath their feet.

“Is here okay?” Sooyoung asked and Jessica nodded. The taller woman came prepared. She quickly spread out her picnic cloth and then set out the food. “Sandwiches.” She displayed the treasures within the basket. “Some fruits and veggies for vitamin. Hot soup and tea. I hope you are hungry.” Jessica nodded again.

When Sooyoung sat down, she patted the spot next to her since Jessica was still standing and watching her. “Have a seat, please, it hurts my neck to keep having to look up.”

Jessica plomped down next to the younger girl and grinned. “Good, then you know how I feel.”

“You feel … grateful since I’m always your shade and …” Sooyoung handed the container of sandwiches to Jessica, “and I also make your favorite sandwich.” Before Jessica could reply, Sooyoung held up a finger for her silence before she opened the thermos of soup. “I also have your favorite soup, tomato basil.”

Jessica looked down at the container in her hands and then at the steaming thermos that Sooyoung was holding. “You remembered …” She was surprised that everything she would have had for lunch was there in front of her. She looked at Sooyoung, who was grinning back at her like an idiot. “Thank you, Soo.” She nodded before she reached over and gave Sooyoung’s shoulders a one-armed hug.

Instead of just a casual light hug, Jessica got more than she bargained for. Sooyoung’s arms wrapped tightly around her torso and pulled her in for a full-on hug. “I don’t like your casual hugs. I want the kind you used to give me.” Sooyoung buried her nose into Jessica’s sweater and inhaled the unique and feminine scent from the fabric. It gave her quite a high.

“Okay.” Jessica softly replied and hugged Sooyoung for a long time. Despite the chill from the occasional breeze, the two women were warm and comfortable in each other’s arms. Jessica kissed Sooyoung’s hair and patted the younger woman’s back. “Let’s eat now.”

Sooyoung refused to let go, she pulled on Jessica until the other woman reluctantly leaned against her. Sooyoung insisted on feeding Jessica bits of the sandwich and spooning her the soup, but the older girl refused to eat that way. “I am not disabled nor am I a child.” Jessica gently jabbed Sooyoung’s side, causing the younger girl to wince. “Stop being so clingy and silly, let me feed myself.”

With a childish pout, Sooyoung handed the food over to Jessica and picked up her own portion. They sat there and enjoyed the comfortable quietness with each other. It reminded them of simpler times, when their world was contained and protected. Now that their horizon had been expanded, they were put into different paths. They ate tacitly and watched the birds, though occasionally they would glance at each other and smile.

“So …” “Um …” They spoke at the same time.

“You go first.” Sooyoung brushed her lips and chin with her fingertips.

“So … how is school going? I hope you are studying for your upcoming exams.” Jessica her lips after a spoonful of soup.

Sooyoung nodded. “It’s going well. I have been trying to study, but things kept coming up. I’ll try harder.”

Jessica tightened her lips in thought before she spoke again. “What sort of things came up?”

“Work and friends … just to name a few.” Sooyoung explained, without divulging much of her troubles. She could not possible tell Jessica about her job, because she did not know how the straight-laced woman would react. Most importantly of all, Sooyoung could not tell Jessica about Yuri. It took all of Sooyoung’s conviction to force herself not to think about the tanned woman, who disappeared after Sunday night.

Jessica cocked her head and watched as a shadow came over Sooyoung’s bright expression. “Tell me about work and your friends.”

“I work … as a consultant for a social work firm …” Sooyoung tried to keep a cool façade, but it was hard when Jessica was watching her like a hawk. “As for my friends, you’ll meet them eventually …”

“Is there anyone you are particularly close to?” Jessica asked a follow up question to keep Sooyoung talking.

Sooyoung thought about Yuri for a moment, but she could not talk about the other woman as if she did not feel guilty. She cleared and nodded, “I’m close with Hyoyeon, whom I know from work, and I guess … now I’m a bit close to Taeyeon-unni, whom you have met.”

“Taeyeon?” Jessica whispered and tried to think about a name that was unfamiliar to her. She shook her head confusedly. “Can you remind me of this Taeyeon?”

“You know. At the night club, she punched me in the stomach.” Sooyoung patted her belly, which was full of food.

“OH!” Jessica gasped and covered . “You mean Tiffany’s girlfriend?” Her eyes were round with surprise and amazement. “But I thought she hated you … you know, with the punching and yelling and all.”

Sooyoung chortled and nodded. “The very same Taeyeon-unni. We are tight now. She is pretty cool and she made up with Tiffany already. They’re really lovey dovey when they’re not fighting.” She opened the container of fruits and offered some to Jessica.

“That’s good to hear … ooo … strawberry!” Jessica picked out a strawberry and nommed happily. A pleased smile broke across Sooyoung’s face before she picked out her own strawberry.

“I’m sorry, Jessica …” Sooyoung looked down at her lap.

Jessica was confused. “For what?”

“For the four years that we missed … for everything that happened …” Sooyoung said placidly.

Jessica hesitated before she lifted Sooyoung’s chin and gazed deeply into those pools of chocolate. “I have had time to think about it and I realized that it wasn’t your fault. Things got out of control and you suffered too … I just never got around to telling you that. It wasn’t your fault.”

Sooyoung’s brown eyes sparkled as tears welled up in her eyes. She nodded and attempted to smile at Jessica. After a moment, she asked, “Do you still love me?”

“…” Jessica was taken by surprised. “Perhaps.” Her word was a soft whisper, but from the look on Sooyoung’s face, she knew the gravity of her reply.

“If you love me, then confess … I really need to hear it from you … I need to know that you still love me and that I am not chasing a shadow of your love.” Sooyoung shook her head and spoke more adamantly.

“…” Jessica stared at Sooyoung’s fretful face.

Sooyoung paused to wait for Jessica’s answer, but the older woman seemed to want to continue her silence. She felt hesitation in Jessica’s eyes and her stomach sank. “I realize that me getting into medical school so that we can be together is important. But … is that the only way that we can be together?”

Jessica did not know where to start her response.

“I love you and if you love me, that should be enough, right?” Sooyoung held Jessica’s hands and desperately wanted to hear her love’s voice.

“I love you.” Jessica’s replied felt like a refreshing breath of relief for Sooyoung. Then Jessica repeated, “I love you … I always have …”

Sooyoung’s worried expression melted into an ecstatic grin that could have easily connected her ears. With a sense of lightness in her soul, she pulled Jessica close and planted a kiss on the princess’ lips. If Sooyoung were a frog, she would turn into a princess and make happily ever after with Jessica happen right at that moment. However, she was not a frog, nor a princess, she was just a normal girl who was kissing the sweetest pair of lips ever given to a woman. For once, reality felt better than past reminiscent.

Kissing Jung Jessica in that one moment felt like Sooyoung could feel eternity. Sooyoung wished for this moment in time to be her eternity. Their lips touched briefly then deeply, while Sooyoung’s arms pulled Jessica tightly against her body. She cupped the other woman’s cheek with one hand while she deepened the kiss. Before she realized it, she had laid Jessica onto her back. Sooyoung felt Jessica’s hands pressing against her shoulders, but not with enough force to show resistance.

With nervous and trembling hands, Sooyoung brushed Jessica’s hair back as she continued to kiss the woman who has haunted her waking moments and intangible dreams for the past four years. She wanted to go further and advance from the kiss. Her body wanted and needed to be with Jessica, so that it could forget its addiction to Yuri. At the millisecond of that thought, the image of a distraught Yuri appeared in her mind.

Sooyoung suddenly pulled back with a disturbed look on her face. She was kissing Jessica, but thinking about Yuri. The sheer thought of this level of “shadiness” disturbed her like no other. Immediately, she sat up and turned away from Jessica. She could not look at innocent Jessica at that moment, because her heart and mind were consumed with shame. “I’m sorry.” She apologized again.

Jessica wanted Sooyoung to continue with the kisses and the intimate acts. She knew they would not go very far, since they were outdoors and she would not have permitted herself to get that far. Though any act of intimacy with Sooyoung felt so right that it pulled her back to a time when she fell in love with the younger girl. She was deeply affected by the other woman, whether she acted that way or not. That was why she felt disappointed when Sooyoung pulled away so abruptly.

“What’s wrong, Soo?” Jessica sat up and gently touched Sooyoung’s shoulder.

The younger girl shook her head, though she still could not look at the woman she just kissed. “I’m sorry … I just remembered our agreement.” She lamely made up an excuse.

“Now you remember it?” Jessica rolled her eyes before she pushed the younger woman down.

Sooyoung was taken by surprise as she felt Jessica’s weight straddling her belly. Lying on her back, she looked up in amazement. “Jessica …” She whispered, but Jessica’s fingertips hushed her lips. She blushed brightly, though she was enjoying this reversal a lot.

“Just for today … just because we are here … let’s pretend that we were never apart.” Jessica smiled and leaned down to sweetly tease Sooyoung with a light kiss on the nose. “I love you, Choi Sooyoung. Even if you are silly and crazy at times, I want you to kiss me until you run out of air and turn blue!”

Sooyoung laughed and nodded, “Yes ma’am!” She reached up and grabbed Jessica’s collar, pulling the teasing woman down for another round of kissing. Alternating between teasing kisses on each other’s cheeks and neck with fiery, coaxing deep kisses, they were fully consumed with each other. Sooyoung was blinded by the hot passion and coaxed by Jessica’s gentle grinding on her belly. It felt strange, yet highly arousing at the same time, to feel and know that her lover’s crotch was grooving against her.

It all happened so fast that Sooyoung could barely react to Jessica’s growing intensity. She remembered the wet smooching sounds of their lips before Jessica’s ling on her neck elicited a moan. Her body responded to the mounting stimulation and she was in heat.

Unfortunately, the moment her hands reached for Jessica’s s, Jessica’s phone rang. The ringing disturbed the serenity of the grass field, but most importantly, their make out session. Sooyoung held Jessica close, wanting the other woman to ignore the call, but Jessica pulled away.

Jessica wiped her lips before she breathlessly answered the call. “Hello … Krystal …”

Sooyoung sat up so that Jessica was straddling her lap. She leaned closer and nibbled on the distracted woman’s earlobe before she traced the edge with her tongue. Inwardly, she smiled when she felt the shiver from Jessica’s body.

“What … oh … I’m not home … out with a friend … oh, I completely forgot … okay … sure … I’ll see you in a bit … okay … Love ya, bye.”

As soon as Jessica ended the call, she cupped Sooyoung’s cheeks and held the eager woman still. “I have to go …”

“Aww …” Sooyoung pouted.

“I forgot that Krystal wanted to visit a new bakery with me today … she’s almost home from her supplemental class.” Jessica caressed Sooyoung’s cute, round cheeks before she lovingly smoothed out the younger woman’s hair.

“Alright, but you have to tell me if it is good!” Sooyoung tried to hide the crestfallen tone in her voice.

“Okay …” Jessica handed Sooyoung her phone. “Put your number in and I’ll message you a picture of my cake.”

Sooyoung’s lower lip protruded even further. “I would rather you buy me a cake instead.” Nevertheless, she added her number into Jessica’s phone.

“Perhaps.” Jessica grinned when she took her phone back.

“Garh! I hate hearing that word.” Sooyoung groaned.

Jessica laughed and kissed Sooyoung once again. “Remember that our deal is still on. Today was an exception, but you passing the entrance exam is still the condition for our new beginning.” Jessica knew when to be serious, even if she just shared a very passionate moment with Sooyoung. To Jessica, things were usually black and white. It was a side of Jessica that Sooyoung loved and hated at the same time.

Sooyoung knew better than to protest. She just smiled, nodded, and enjoyed the parting kiss before she gathered up the picnic supplies. Hand in hand, they walked back to Jessica’s car. It was a memorable afternoon that fed the flames of their desire.

“Where’d you learn to kiss like that?” Jessica asked with a little smile.

Sooyoung blushed and panicked. She could not tell Jessica that she learned it from her supposed best friend, with whom she has had a long and arduous ual affair. “Um …”

“You don’t have to tell me.” Jessica chuckled at Sooyoung’s anxious look. “We each have had our share of experiences.”

Sooyoung breathed and smiled, but soon her face shifted into a state of shock and horror. “Wha-what do you mean by that?!” She was dying of curiosity and jealousy of any potential experience that Jessica might have had.

Jessica only flashed a knowing smile before she broke their hand connection and skipped all the way to her car. Sooyoung chased after the older woman to attempt to get an explanation, but Jessica’s lips were especially tight when they were sealed. For the rest of their time together, Sooyoung could not get the teasing princess to say anything about her cryptic statement.


                  It had been several hours since Sooyoung kissed Jessica goodbye. It had been almost two days since she had seen Yuri. Between the two women, they shared occupancy of her mind. She had a hard time focusing on anything other than thinking about one or the other. She was trying to read her notes, but all she could think about was Jessica’s vague statement and Yuri’s whereabouts. With a sighed, she closed her notes and decided that bed was better than staring at pages without comprehension.

                  As she climbed into bed, her phone chirped. Jessica sent her a picture of a delicious looking slice of ice cream cake. She giggled giddily and replied with a crying emoticon. More than anything, she was happy to have some sort of communication established with the princess. Before she put away her phone to attempt to sleep, she quickly sent a message.

                  [“I hope you are safe, Yul.”]



 

Hello readers! How are you all doing? Well, I hope!

I'm sorry this chapter took a while. I had to study for a bit after a very unproductive weekend! Then writer's block hit me hard!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this update. I will write again soon!