INTERMISSION #3

Love Song

 

                  [“Hyomin-ah, just go home, Sunny sounded really worried when she called me.”]

                  “I don’t want to.” Hyomin replied curtly.

                  [“Will you stop being childish? You’re going to drive her away if you keep acting like this.”] Eunjung’s voice sounded annoyed.

                  “I need some time to think … I’m gonna hang up now, Eunjung. I’ll talk to you later.” Hyomin cut Eunjung off and ended the call before her partner could protest.

                  The depressed detective tossed the phone to the side before she hopped off the bed of her truck to feed the fire with some more firewood. She had camped out here since last night, so it was about twenty-four hours since her argument with Sunny. This location was a frequent camping, training, and exercising spot for the police department, so it was very safe even at night. Hyomin had lined her truck bed with blankets, so she was rather comfortable near the fire.

                  As the fire crackled and swayed, Hyomin hopped back onto her cozy spot and opened another can of beer. She did not really enjoy the taste of the beverage, but her mood seemed to call for it right now. As she recalled her disagreement with Sunny, the detective hung her head and sighed loudly. She felt bad for upsetting her sunshine, but she did not want to go home and admit fault. She had no solution to their disagreement, yet, so going home felt pointless.

                  While Hyomin was sipping her beer and deep in thought, she did not notice the approach of a certain someone until the crunch of dead leaves was close by. Instinctively, her hand immediately went to the grip of her pistol. However, she relaxed as soon as she recognized the small woman who was standing on the other side of the fire.

                  “Hi.” Sunny waved awkwardly and Hyomin nodded.

                  They stared at each other for a little while before Hyomin put down her beer and hopped off her truck. She circled around the hearth and stood in front of Sunny.

                  “Why didn’t you answer my calls? I’ve been worried about you.” Sunny looked into Hyomin’s eyes and asked. She did not seem upset, but she was not happy, either.

                  “I didn’t know what to say to you.” Hyomin cursed herself for the pointlessness of her reply.

                  “You could at least tell me where you were.” Sunny pressed her lips together to fight back her tears.

                  “You found me anyways.” The normally lovey dovey detective was abnormally calm.

                  “Eunjung said you might be here.” Sunny looked around Hyomin’s madeshift camp in the dark woods. It had an eerie feeling and she worried about Hyomin spending another night out here. The fire was going strong so there was warmth and the trees blocked most of the wind. She saw the temporary bedding on the truck bed.

                  “Where’s Mason? Don’t you have to watch him?” Hyomin’s voice brought Sunny’s attention back to her.

                  “I dropped him off at Sooyoung’s before I came here.”

                  “What? You trust that klutz with a kid?” Hyomin snorted at the thought of the tall clumsy girl frantically taking care of the boy.

                  “Well, I didn’t have a choice now, did I?” Sunny snapped, failing to see the amusement in the situation.

                  “Oh …” Hyomin became quiet. She was hurt by the sudden outburst.

                  Sunny realized the crest fallen look on her girlfriend’s face, so she sighed and shook her head slightly, “Look … I’m sorry, I’m just a bit stressed.”

                  “No, it’s alright.” Hyomin shook her head, but she was still shyly looking down at her feet.

                  “Will you come home tonight?”

                  “I’m not sure.”

                  “What aren’t you sure about?”

“I don’t know.”

“When will you know?” Sunny was trying to control her temper, but Hyomin’s short answers were getting on her nerves.

                  Hyomin reached out and held Sunny’s hand. She squeezed it gently before she led the shorter woman to the truck bed, where they took a seat next to each other. Both were still quiet and their eyes were glued to the fire, as it was the only thing that was moving or making sounds at this campsite.

                  “I … you know that I love you, Sunny. But I do not know if I want to bring a third person into our family … it makes me uneasy.” Hyomin started.

                  “I …”

                  “Let me finish.” Hyomin cut Sunny off and the other woman nodded. “I don’t want to share your love and attention because I love being the only person in your eyes. I’m afraid … afraid of the change that will come with a kid. Our freedom and ease in life will be different to cater to a third person.” Hyomin could not look at Sunny while she continued to express herself. “I want to be selfish and keep you to myself. I don’t want to add anyone else to our relationship.”

                  Silence followed Hyomin’s speech for a while before Sunny knew that the other woman was done. She cleared and look sideway at Hyomin. “All those reasons … are stupid and selfish.”

                  Hyomin remained stonefaced.

                  “Why would I ever love you less because of our child? If we had a kid together, I would only love you more because you wouldn’t just be my girlfriend … you’d also be the mother of my child.” Sunny’s voice was unsteady, but she continued. “I know you will be a good mother, even if you deny it … and all I hear from you are what you want. But what about me?”

                  Hyomin knew Sunny was crying, but she felt too terrible to reach over to comfort her girlfriend. She was the source of Sunny’s pain and tears. The bitterness in her heart was slowly dissolving into guilt and her stomach churned with an unsettling feeling. She took a deep breath and reached across Sunny’s shoulders to pull her woman to her.

                  Sunny wrapped her arms around Hyomin’s thin waist and buried her tearful face into Hyomin’s neck. She did not want their relationship to end. But she also did not want to sacrifice her yearning for a child to complete their family. She knew that they were both stubborn and this issue will resurface eventually, even if they ignored it this time. The sense of impending loss of her love made the normally strong-hearted Sunny bawled like a child.

                  Feeling the extent of hurt from Sunny’s shivering frame, Hyomin hugged her tighter and kissed the crown of Sunny’s hair. “I …” Hyomin finally made her decision. “I need some time … can we not have a kid right away? Can you wait at least a few more years?”

                  “…” Sunny’s sobs quieted and she looked up at her girlfriend. “But … I’m afraid in a few more years you would still feel the same.”

                  Hyomin shook her head, “I can’t be sure. But I know that I’d rather have a kid than not have you in my life at all.”

                  “That shouldn’t be the reason … you will be regretful and …”

                  “No I won’t. Because I love you. Such a great love would never make me regretful or bitter. I just want to have you all to myself for a bit longer.” Hyomin smiled and wiped the wet stains on Sunny’s cheeks.

                  “But …”

                  “No but.” Hyomin shook her head and pressed her lips against Sunny, silencing the other woman’s doubts.

                  Sunny’s lips tasted a bit salty from the tears, but they were warm and supple. Hyomin gently swept her tongue across Sunny’s lower lip before she led gently on it. Her hands slid upward Sunny’s body and cupped the short woman’s cheeks. She head Sunny steady while she deepened the kiss between them. She knew where to move her lips and tongue to keep Sunny entranced in the kiss.

                  Eventually, Hyomin crawled further up the truck bed and beckoned Sunny to follow her. She smiled, “Remember the first night that we …” a sly smile appeared on her lips as her voice drifted off.

                  Blushing hotly, Sunny nodded. “Who could forget.” It was a night like this and they were camping with friends on a college fieldtrip.

                  “How about we …” Hyomin giggled and slipped under the blankets.

                  “What are you suggesting?” Sunny played dumb.

                  “I’m suggesting that we try making that baby you want so much.” Hyomin narrowed her eyes at Sunny.

                  “We’re both girls.” Sunny stayed at the edge of the truckbed, refusing to budge, even though Hyomin was getting her excited.

                  “So? It’s worth a try. If it works, then I will take responsibility.” Hyomin remained in a seated position with her back against the truck’s cabin.

                  “… Hyominnie, you’re so crazy.” Sunny was afraid Hyomin might say something weirder, so she gave into her desire and crawled toward Hyomin, until she straddled the other woman’s lap. She eyed that y grin on Hyomin’s face and then the movements of Hyomin’s hands while ing her jacket.

                  Just as their lips were about to meet again, Hyomins phone disrupted their attention.

                  “Ignore it.” Sunny growled and pushed Hyomin back when the other woman reached for her phone.

                  “But …” Hyomin was silenced by Sunny’s lips. It took all the fiber of her being for her to lean away. “It’s my sister’s ringtone.” Hyomin barely spoke to her family so when they do call, it’s usually important.

                  Sunny wanted to deny Hyomin her phone, because she wanted her girlfriend right there and then, but she decided to bottle her urges for just a moment longer. So she nodded and backed off a bit so Hyomin can answer the call.

                  “Hello?” Hyomin eyed the way that Sunny was her lips. “Oh, hey sis.” There was something wrong with answering her sister’s call while feeling the carnal rush in her body.

                  “I’m doing good, how about you?” Hyomin’s eyes widened when Sunny ed her own shirt, so she could catch a glimpse of the busty woman’s silky bra. She gulped and barely paid attention to what her sister was saying. Sunny was being especially naughty. The sunshine’s hand was moving up and down her own navel, as if she wanted to give Hyomin a show.

                  Hyomin’s mouth felt dry as she continued to gape at her y girlfriend, but suddenly she let out a dry croak, “W-what? You can’t be serious!”

                  Sunny’s brows furrowed at her girlfriend’s sudden exclamation. Hyomin looked seriously disturbed.

                  “No, that’s just too much to ask … sis, c’mon … can’t bro do it?” Hyomin stuttered and was seriously troubled, as Sunny could tell from her expression. “I can’t and Sunny probably … what?! Don’t you dare tell mom and dad!” Hyomin yelled into the phone. After a few more protests, her shoulders slumped and she whined. “Fine, but you owe me big!”

                  Sunny knew that Hyomin was a pushover when it came to the people she loved. She always relented, as demonstrated by the outcome of their argument. Now, she was afraid of what her girlfriend just agreed to. When Hyomin hung up the call, Sunny looked at her with an expectant look.

                  “Uh … haha …” Hyomin laughed nervously, “You’re not going to believe this …”

                  “Believe what?”

                  “You know how I had to attend my aunt and uncle’s funeral last year?” Hyomin’s aunt and uncle passed away from an unfortunate automobile accident. “And my cousin, Jiyeon, was sent to live with my relatives …”

                  “Get to the point, love.” Sunny was growing impatient.

                  “Well, she had been such a troublemaker that … well, they all want to pass her on … and now it’s my turn … they think it’d be good for her to have a police detective disciplining her.” Hyomin smiled sweetly and batted her lashes.

                  “So you mean a troublemaking highschooler is coming to live with us?” Sunny’s voice was stoic and calm.

                  “Yes.”

                  “When?”

                  “Monday.”

                  “…” Sunny suddenly started to button her shirt and got off Hyomin.

                  “Honey, baby, darling!” Hyomin was highly disappointed.

                  “No way, I don’t want a delinquent in my house!” Sunny fought off Hyomin’s hands.

                  “Please, baby, just temporarily!” Hyomin tried to cling to her short lover. “Think of it as parenting practice!”

                  “Don’t you dare turn this on me! I wouldn’t raise a delinquent!” Sunny smacked Hyomin in the shoulder.

                  “But if I don’t take her, sis will tell my mom and dad that I’ve forsaken the family!” Hyomin pouted and whined.

                  “I don’t care. I don’t want someone come into our relationship.”

                  Hyomin frowned at Sunny using her earlier argument against her, but she continued to beg and cling to Sunny until the other woman gave in. “Fine. But you better treat Mason nicely from now on!”

                  Hyomin smiled happily and nodded immediately, “I will! I’ll treat him like a national freaking treasure!”

                  Sunny shook her head and smacked Hyomin’s head. “No dummy, only treat me that way.”

                  “Oh … you’re right.” Hyomin smiled apologetically and hugged Sunny, “Thank you. I love you!”

                  “Sure … now … turn off that phone and get .” Sunny pushed Hyomin away.

                  “Yes ma’am!” Hyomin ecstatically complied and pulled Sunny under the blankets with her. Instantly, she forgot about her unwillingness to have kids, but suddenly gaining another one in her home. There and then, on the bed of their truck under the starry sky, Sunny and Hyomin reminisced the first time that they truly became one. 



 

Hello again :) long time no see! Sorry, school started so everything has been krrrrrazy! I hope the new year is treating everyone well so far!

This chapter didn't turn out like I wanted ... I've been having bad writer's block!  Anyways, I hope to update the main storyline within the next two days. Please look forward to it.