Monday - Month 1, Day 10 - Lonely

Love Song

               

                “Ahhhhh!” Sooyoung woke up with cold sweats and immediately checked her body for gooey, stinky green slime. After she realized that she was safe in her clean nightgown, she looked around her bedroom then let out a breath of relief. Her nightmare was plagued by a little midget chasing and puking on her. She turned toward the clock and realized that she was a minute earlier than the alarm clock.

                Last night was a blur, filled with women and drama. As she swung her feet off the bed, she groaned because her body reminded her of the sore on her side. When she got into her bathroom, she lifted up her nightgown to see a green and purple bruise formed on the right side of her rib cage. “Argh, I’m going to kill that midget.” She muttered and got into the shower to rinse the last of vomit stench off her body. This would be her fifth shower since last night.

                After she was clean and dressed for school, Sooyoung proceeded to the livingroom where she stared at a slumbering girl in disgust. Taeyeon was still passed out on Sooyoung’s couch after a full night of worshipping the porcelain god by emptying her stomach contents. Sooyoung shook her head and went into the kitchen where she had a quiet bowl of cereal while watching the short tempered woman sleep. Taeyeon seemed so much cuter and more peaceful while she was passed out.

                “Yah …” Sooyoung prodded Taeyeon after she finished her breakfast. “Wake up. Yah, Taeyeon-ssi!” She raised her voice and gently slapped Taeyeon’s cheek. “It’s time for you to go home! Yah!” She pinched her nose since the odor coming from Taeyeon’s mouth was not a pleasant one.

                Taeyeon stirred without opening her eyes then suddenly raised her arm straight up. Her palm accidentally met with Sooyoung’s nose, causing the taller girl to recoil in pain.

                “Ahhh! YAH!” Sooyoung held her nose and screamed.

                “Right now … it’s Taeyeon’s … generation …” then the drunk lowered her arm and continued to sleep.

                Sooyoung shook the smaller girl several times, but to no avail. With a great sigh, she gave up and shook her head at the crazy woman. She glanced at the clock and realized that she needed to go, so she put out a clean outfit for Taeyeon. She put her spare key on her kitchen counter along with a note that read:

There is juice in the fridge and ramyun in the pantry. Aspirin is in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. When you leave, use this key to lock the door. You don’t have to return the clothes, keep them.

Drop the key into the “3D” mailbox in the lobby.

-Choi Sooyoung-

PS. Please don’t rob me

                Feeling satisfied with her note, Sooyoung glanced back at the snoozing woman then left for school. She was reluctant to leave a stranger in her home, but she was not about to kick Taeyeon out since Sooyoung felt partially responsible for her situation. With a little sigh, she shook her head and climbed into the car.

                The whole day, Sooyoung felt uneasy about Taeyeon but she did not have the woman’s number, so she had to wait until her classes were over. She quickly dialed her home phone, but it went to voicemail. With a worried frown, Sooyoung redialed.

                “Did she leave already? Is she still asleep? What the heck!” Sooyoung growled when there was no answer again. She wanted so much to run home, but a classmate stopped her and reminded her of the study group tonight. Since her past weekend was very unproductive, to say the least, Sooyoung agreed to join them.

                It was around 7PM when Sooyoung finally got home. She checked her mailbox, but her key was not there. “So … did she rob me?” Sooyoung mumbled to herself while the elevator rose to her floor. “I hope she didn’t die … nah, no one dies from a hangover … but maybe she was really dehydrated …” All sorts of scenarios crossed Sooyoung’s mind so once the elevator doors pinged open, she made a mad dash for her door.

                Sooyoung’s nervous hands caused her to take several tries before her key would turn the lock. After taking a deep breath, she slowly slid the door open and cautiously stepped into the entry hallway. The lights were on, so she assumed someone was still in her house. Her senses are heightened and she scanned the area until her ears picked up a rhythmic knocking sound.

                Sooyoung was not sure why she felt so nervous, but she was. She felt strange coming home to a semi-stranger, so she proceeded with caution. The noise came from the kitchen. Sooyoung’s throat felt parched while she made her way there. Her slow steps were only slightly audible. But suddenly! Taeyeon appeared with a knife in her hand.

                Sooyoung jumped, “Ack!” She froze on the spot and stared from the gleaming metal to Taeyeon. She gulped and smiled nervously, “Uh … Taeyeon-ssi, l-let’s talk about this … calmly and peacefully … like civilized women.” Her mind was flooded with danger alarms and she imagined that Taeyeon had spent the whole day sharpening the knife and waiting for her to come home. “Please, don’t act rashly.” She spoke calmly and clearly.

                “Wae?” Taeyeon knitted her brow then followed Sooyoung’s gaze to the knife in her hand. Instantly, her face lit up and she laughed. “Oh sorry, it’s not what it looks like.” Taeyeon stepped toward Sooyoung to try to explain.

                “Stay back! Stay back!” Sooyoung raised her backpack like a shield. “I’m warning you, I know Tae Kwon Do!”

                “Alright! Alright … look, I’m putting it down.” Taeyeon slowed her movement and put the knife down on the floor. She knew better than to approach a scared person with a knife in her hand.

                Sooyoung was hyperventilating while her heartbeat drummed in her ears. She watched Taeyeon carefully while adrenaline coursed through her veins. “Slowly, slide it over here.” Sooyoung kept her shield up.

                Taeyeon complied with her request and then a loud whistle from the kitchen called for her attention. She turned and rushed toward the source of the sound. Sooyoung lowered her shield and picked up the knife. Out of curiosity, she peeked around the corner to see what Taeyeon was up to.

                The shorter woman was removing a kettle from the stove and there was also a pot on the stove, like she was cooking something. Now that she had a chance to calm down, Sooyoung’s houndlike olfactory sense picked up the aroma of something delicious. She swallowed her saliva and stepped into the kitchen.

                “You are … cooking?” Sooyoung eyed the pot that was bubbling appetizingly.

                “I wanted to make you dinner to thank you for your kindness … and to apologize for my action.” Taeyeon blushed and lowered her head apologetically.

                “I see …” Sooyoung put the knife on the cutting board where Taeyeon had some vegetables chopped up. “It smells good …” She felt awkward after she just suspected the woman of plotting her murder.

                “Spicy seafood and tofu soup. I also made some kimbap.” Taeyeon said proudly and gestured toward the pot and then some kimbap rolls on a plate. “It’s almost done, if you want to go shower or change.”

                Sooyoung saw the sincerity in the woman’s eyes and nodded, “Thanks for the trouble.” She turned and went into her room where she let out a held breath of relief. “Whew … I get to live another day.” Feeling somewhat excited for the meal, she changed into something more comfortable and pulled up her hair. When she returned, Taeyeon was setting the dining table with side dishes.

                The clothes that Sooyoung left fitted Taeyeon like a blanket. They were too long and baggy on her smaller frame. The already child-like woman looked even younger in the ill-fitted t-shirt and shorts that came to her knees. For some reason, seeing that Taeyeon was hard at work made her more endearing to Sooyoung.

                “Ahem.” Sooyoung cleared to announce her presence.

                “Ah, Sooyoung-ssi, please have a seat.” Taeyeon pulled out a chair for her before the shorter woman dashed into the kitchen.

                Sooyoung slid into the offered seat and waited until Taeyeon brought back the pot of soup. immediately watered as she watched the steam rose from the bubbling pot. The table was full with rice, side dishes, kimbap, and other smaller plates. “You don’t have to use honorifics with me.”

                “Then here is some tea … Sooyoung.” Taeyeon poured the hot liquid into a cup and handed it to Sooyoung.

                “Thanks.” Sooyoung accepted it with both hands and placed it in front of her. “You made all this?” She did not know where to begin.

                “Yes, just a simple meal, I hope you don’t mind. I had to run to the market since there weren’t enough ingredients in the fridge.” Taeyeon was putting it nicely since Sooyoung’s fridge was rather barren. The student has been too busy to cook so ramyun and frozen entrées was her staple. In the fridge, only juice, water, and milk were found.

                “I see …” Sooyoung picked up her chopsticks and smiled, “Thanks for the meal.” She realized that when she called in the afternoon, Taeyeon must have been out buying groceries.

                “Thank you for taking care of me after what I did.” Taeyeyon was embarrassed because of her actions.

                “Just don’t do it again. You should know that Tiffany really loves you. She was just helping me get Jessica’s attention.” Sooyoung got herself a bowl of soup and then dipped a piece of kimbap into the spicy soup.

                Taeyeon’s face fell and she shook her head. “I don’t think that was all. I think she still has feelings for you and that was just an excuse. I have tried many times, but I still can’t accept that her heart continues to have your image.”

                Sooyoung paused and was not sure how to comfort the other woman. She had a sense that Tiffany still liked her when they danced together last night, but she did not want to confirm her suspicion. “Nah, she was just being friendly … maybe you should talk to her. I seriously doubt that she still likes me, it’s been four years.”

                Taeyeon shook her head and put down her spoon. Her downcast eyes lingered with tears, “I tried calling her today, but she didn’t pick up. I went to our apartment, but she wasn’t there … but at the same time I don’t feel like I’m wrong. I … don’t want to apologize for my intuition because I really think that she still has feelings for you.”

                Sooyoung chewed slowly while the atmosphere became dense because Taeyeon’s unshed tears. Not knowing what else to do, Sooyoung reached across the table and held Taeyeon’s hand. “It’s not your fault for feeling that way, but it is important for you and Tiffany to talk things over to clear up any misunderstanding. Your relationship is too precious to leave things hanging like now. Try harder to show her your sincerity in wanting to communicate.”

                Taeyeon nodded and put on a brave smile for Sooyoung. “You’re right. I’ll try to talk to her tomorrow. Sorry for being a downer, let’s eat.”

                Sooyoung shook her head. “You’re not being a downer, but I do want to enjoy the yummy food!” She giggled and then continued to eat. “It’s delicious, you’re a really good cook.” She rarely got to eat a homemade meal in recent months, so she appreciated this more than apology.

                “Thanks, it’s an old family recipe.”

                After dinner, Sooyoung helped Taeyeon clean up and then both girls moved to the balcony to watch the city lights and drink some tea. Sooyoung started to feel more at ease with Taeyeon, since the woman warmed up to her. While she was still worried about Tiffany, Sooyoung decided to use this chance to clear up Taeyeon’s mix-up with her and become friend with the other woman.

                Taeyeon was surprisingly polite and funny, if not a little dorky, though her ajumma-like laughter surprised Sooyoung greatly. They started to bond as they exchanged information about each other. Taeyeon graduated from culinary school last year and opened up the café with Tiffany. Not only could she make good coffee and dinner, she was also a great baker. Her parents knew about her uality and it was not a big deal to them. They only differ on Taeyeon’s choice of career. She left home at an early age, due to her pursuit in the culinary arts instead of a more ‘respectable’ career.

                Sooyoung even felt comfortable enough to tell Taeyeon the whole story about her and Jessica, since she had been bottling it up for a long time. For some reason, this older woman drew Sooyoung’s interest. She was fiercely protective of her girlfriend but also refused to apologize when she felt she was not wrong. She admitted her mistake to Sooyoung and apologized. Sooyoung admired her personality.

                “You certainly live an … interesting life.” Taeyeon smiled as she careful selected an appropriate word.

                “If you can call it that.” Sooyoung nodded.

                “And here I am, adding to your complications.” Taeyeon finished her tea and set the cup down.

                “… Sooyoung … can I ask you for a favor?” Taeyeon seemed unsure.

                “What is it?”

                “Can I stay with you for a little while? I don’t think I can go back home at the moment, until things between Tiffany and I are settled.”

                Sooyoung was surprised that Taeyeon would ask her such a big favor, but she considered Taeyeon’s options and then nodded. “If you don’t mind sleeping on the sofa, then I don’t mind either. Keep that spare key until you’re ready to return it.”

                “Thank you so much for your generosity, even after what I did.” Taeyeon got up and did a ninety-degree bow to Sooyoung, who quickly stood up and straightened her.

                “Hey don’t worry about it … I’m actually surprised with myself, too. I guess I’ve been lonely since I haven’t had anyone to talk to about the stuff I just told you. It felt good telling someone about it, thank you for listening and for the wonderful meal.”

                Taeyeon nodded happily and when she smiled, her cheeks were so cute that Sooyoung just wanted to pinch them. And she did. “Ah, if you keep cooking meals like that, I won’t feel very burdened … Aigoo, these cute cheeks!”

                Taeyeon blushed brightly and pressed on Sooyoung’s sore ribs, causing the tall girl to back away. “I’m not a child, I’m older than you. You should call me unni.”

               “YAH! Didn’t you just ask to live here with me? Now you’re hurting my old wound!” Sooyoung chased the shorter woman into the apartment. “Heck no, I won’t call you unni … ajumma!”

                 “You already agreed and I still have the key, so I don’t have to worry anymore.”As they circled the coffee table, Taeyeon shook her head. “Ajumma?! How rude!”

                So began the newly flourished friendship between Sooyoung and Taeyeon. They joked around and played, until they decided midnight was late enough and Sooyoung had school the next day. They bid each other goodnight after Sooyoung brought out some more pillows and blankets for the shorter girl. Sooyoung was actually excited to have someone else in the apartment and Taeyeon even gave Sooyoung a hug right before bedtime. Whatever happened between them was quickly forgotten and they became fast friends overnight.


Yay, SooTae! One of my favorite pairings ... actually, I like any Soo-pairing. But I feel they have potential to be best friends :) They're dorky and considerate!

Whew, another chapter closer to Yuri's return *cues dramatic music*

Thanks for reading, hope everyone had a wonderful Xmas!