Sunday – Month 1, Day 23 – Little Talks

Love Song

 

                Sooyoung lost track of time. She slept for a long time and woke up with a tray of food on her bedside table. Yuri left a note saying that she went to talk to Kahi about Yoona. Outside, the sky was cloudy, making it difficult for Sooyoung to estimate the time of day. She lightly touched her bandaged head when a dull pain reminded her of her wound.

                “You’re a two-timer …”

                Yoona’s words echoed inside Sooyoung’s head. Her heart felt even heavier than her head with a concussion. She debated whether she was a two-timing player or just a victim of circumstances. She was afraid of what may happen if she continued to be indecisive. The thought of Yoona still lurking about brought no comfort to Sooyoung. She worried what the mad woman would do. She worried about Jessica. Most of all, she worried about Yuri.

                Deep inside her heart, Sooyoung was fearful that Yuri might turn out to be like Yoona. She knew that she should not judge her best friend with such thoughts, but she was legitimately concerned. Sooyoung sighed and was feeling lonely once again. Being cooped up in this small room was driving her crazy. Worst of all, the food tasted like cardboard to her.

                Sooyoung tossed back her blanket and carefully stepped out of the bed. Her entire body ached and cracked with her movements, but she could not stay still anymore. Slowly, she slipped into her slippers and grabbed some money. Moving cautiously, she came out of her room and walked down the hall, where there was a vending machine. Hot coffee sounded good at that moment.

                She slipped her money into the slot, her lips in anticipation for the drink, but her money was rejected. With a slight frown on her on her face, she retried to the same result. The money was slightly wrinkled, but with one of her arm in a cast, it was hard for her to fully straighten it all out. Stubbornly, the tall woman kept on trying until the machine took it.

                *clunk clunk* the can fell down to the slot.

                Sooyoung reached in to retrieve it and instantly felt the heat on her fingertips. “Ouch! Hot! Hot! HOT!” She cried and tried to find a place to put it down. As she stepped back, she bumped into someone and dropped her can on her foot. “ARGH!” The slipper was not thick enough to protect her foot from the freefalling can.

                As Sooyoung hopped on one foot and cried out due to pain, she turned back to apologize to the person she bumped into. “Jessica.” Sooyoung muttered out of surprise when she met the concerned eyes of the person she least expected to be there. “H-Hello.” All her pain seemed to have left her body in an instant.

                “Sooyoung, what happened?” Jessica looked up to the bandage on Sooyoung’s head and the cast on her arm, not to mention the bruises around her face and other arm. She was surprised to see Sooyoung in the hospital and much more when she noticed all her wounds.

                Sooyoung smiled somberly and shook her head. “I had a bit of an accident … but nothing to worry about.”

                “How can you say that? You look terrible, no offense.” Jessica’s eyes became watery because she was so concerned about the younger woman. “Why didn’t you call me? Or let me know or something?”

                Sooyoung shook her head and took no offense to Jessica’s words. “I didn’t want you to worry. Look, they’re just minor scratches. I’ll be back to top shape in no time.” She panicked, though a bit happy and flattered, because Jessica was worried about her. “Besides, I thought we weren’t allowed to contact each other, remember?”

                “They’re not minor scratches; you’ve got a cast on your arm for Heaven’s sake!” Jessica started to freak out, she rested her hands on Sooyoung’s shoulders as she looked carefully through the rest of her. “What are you doing out of bed? Shouldn’t you be resting?”

                “Whoa whoa, chill Jess. Relax.” Sooyoung smiled disarmingly and gently rubbed Jessica’s arm. “I’m okay, see? I’m strong enough to still move around. I didn’t have any major damage, the doctors just wanted to keep me overnight for observation. I’ll be discharged today.”

                Jessica was highly upset, seeing that Sooyoung was bandaged up like a mummy. “You dummy, I would want to know about things like this. What … what if … something happens to you? Then I’ll be stuck, not knowing … like before.” Heavy droplets of tears started to roll down those porcelain cheeks and melted Sooyoung’s heart along the way.

                “Jess …” Sooyoung wrapped her good arm around Jessica’s shoulders and pull the crying woman close. “I’m sorry. I’ll call you first next time. Okay? Don’t cry … your make up will run, then you’ll look like a clown … and I hate clowns.”

                “WHAT?” Jessica pulled back and slapped Sooyoung on the shoulder. “Is this the right time for you to joke like that?” She wiped the tears off her cheeks and sniffled angrily.

                “Ouch, Jess! Please watch my injuries … owwie …” Sooyoung groaned and gently rubbed her shoulder.

                Jessica gasped. “Oh! I’m sorry! Sorry sorry sorry!”

                “I just wanted you to stop crying. Looks like it worked.” Sooyoung grinned and looked at the neatly dressed Jessica. “You look … nice.”

                “Thanks.” Jessica nodded and blushed. “How’d you get hurt?”

                “Oh … stairs.” Sooyoung could not tell Jessica that her future sister-in-law’s ex-girlfriend assaulted Sooyoung. That would have been too messy to explain. “I fell down some stairs; I must have missed a step or something. You know me, I’m a bit clumsy.”

                Jessica nodded in agreement, though she gently touched Sooyoung’s cheek. “You should be more careful.”

                Sooyoung blushed and nodded, her eyes gazing deeply into Jessica. “I will.”

                At last, Jessica looked down at the fallen coffee can that had been forgotten for a while. “Let me buy you a new drink.” The can was so dented that some coffee had started to leak out.

                “No need. It’s alright; I was just bored and wanted to taste something other than the bland hospital food.” Sooyoung chuckled and tossed the can into a nearby trashbin.

                “Oh? You’re usually not that picky about food.” Jessica raised an eyebrow.

                Sooyoung grinned and gave Jessica an innocent stare. “What me? I’m not, but have you tasted the food here? It tasted like cardboard plus some salt.” Her disgusted expression, with her tongue out and all, made Jessica laugh. Together they shared a good hearted laugh. “So what are you doing here anyways, Jessica? Are you ill?”

                Jessica shook her head. “I’m not ill. My uncle works here, so he invited me to come by to observe some groundbreaking surgery, just in case I want to specialize later.” She put her hand behind her head and looked a bit embarrassed. “But I actually just wanted to nap. I’m afraid that it’s going to be a long surgery.”

                Sooyoung’s smile broadened. “When DON’T you want to nap?” She quickly shut up when she received an acid look from Jessica. “Well, if you have time afterwards, come by room 302. If I’m not already discharged, I’d like some company.”

                “Sure, hopefully I will be able to come by before then.” Jessica nodded and stepped up to Sooyoung. She quickly gave the poor girl a hug. “Take care of yourself if I don’t get to see you. Text or call me when you’re home. If you need …”

                “I’ll be okay, Jess. Don’t worry.” Sooyoung rubbed Jessica’s back with her good hand and kissed the top of the short woman’s hair. “I’ll give you a call when I go home.”

                “How are you going to cook or do anything with just one arm? May I should stay …”

                “No, you shouldn’t turn down your uncle’s offer. He must have made some special arrangements for you to be able to observe. I can take care of myself, I can order Goobne chicken if I get hungry at home.” Sooyoung felt the warmth from Jessica’s words and body. The hug felt so good that she was reluctant to let go. “You’ve got nothing to worry about.”

                “Alright … but if there is anything, call me right away.” Jessica gave one last reminder, to which Sooyoung nodded, before she waved goodbye.

                Sooyoung smiled and waved until Jessica turned the corner. She took a deep breath and sighed happily. It felt good to know that ice princess cared, despite her strictness. However, happiness alone was not going to make the shikshin full. She turned toward the vending machine and groaned when she had no more money to put into it. That was her fault for playing it cool and not accepting Jessica’s offer. Like a disappointed puppy, she pouted all the way back to her room.


 

                Sooyoung was back inside her room for another hour or so before a knock came at her door. Immediately, she perked up and straightened her hair before she called out. “Come in!” Her voice sounded chirpier than she had expected. Swinging her legs over the edge, she sat up and waited for the person to come in. Her head felt a little light when she sat up too quickly.

                “Hi.” Jessica’s head appeared first before the rest of her followed. She came into the room in shy manner.

                “Hello.” Sooyoung waved and slipped down from the bed.

                “You don’t have to get up.” Jessica rushed right over to help when Sooyoung appeared a bit wobbly.

                Sooyoung blushed uncontrollably when she had to lean Jessica’s small frame for support. Having the analgesics really made her dizzy and lightheaded. “Thank you.” She whispered when their eyes met and their faces just inches apart. Sooyoung wanted to lean in to kiss those lightly glossed lips.

                “You’re welcome.” Jessica smiled and held up a paper bag in her hand. “I brought you something good.”

                Sooyoung looked at the white bag with the yellow letter “M” in front. Her eyes rounded cutely as salivated. “Is that …?”

                “Yep. I wanted to get you some McDonald’s before I got into the surgery. You know … since you’re such a picky patient.” Jessica giggled and helped Sooyoung to sit down on the bed before she handed the food bag over. “I bought your favorites … if they are still your favorites.”

                Sooyoung nodded happily and accepted the bag. Since the food was hot, she could smell all the deliciousness that was inside. “Thank you so much! My stomach was starting to grumble … whoa! You even got me a toy!” She pulled out a small plastic bag. “Woody!” She chirped.

                Jessica looked at the plastic figurine from Toy Story. “Oh, I guess so? I don’t know how that got in there.” She chuckled and gently Sooyoung’s hair. The younger girl was acting like a little kid. It was cute.

                “Thanks, Jess! You’re the best!” Sooyoung wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist and hugged the older woman, who made her bleak day a bit brighter. Jessica let the injured woman rest on her chest while she her hair gently.

                Just then, the door slid open and someone else came in.

                “Hey.” Yuri waved as she came into the room. “Oh …”

                Sooyoung instinctively let go of Jessica and blushed. Her heart started beating wildly as she stared at her unpredictable friend. "H-hey Yuri.” Her voice sounded nervous and weak. How was she going to explain it to Jessica? Should she introduce Yuri as her too-complicated-to-explain-best-friend-slash--buddy?

                Yuri blinked and looked between Sooyoung and this stranger who looked awfully familiar. It took a moment for her mind to register that it was Jessica. She had only seen Jessica’s picture once. It was the only photo of Sooyoung and Jessica during high school. While Yuri posted photos everywhere in Sooyoung’s home, Jessica’s photo was the only one that made it to Sooyoung’s nightstand. She kept it inside a small drawer and sometimes Yuri would spy her taking it out while smiling absently. That fox-like face was one that was burned into Yuri’s memory.

                Sooyoung cleared . “Yuri?”

                “Oh.” Yuri blinked away her feelings and put on a friendly smile, even if it killed her inside. “Hi. I’m Yuri, Sooyoung’s friend … and you are …?” She feigned ignorance for Sooyoung’s sake.

                “Hi. I’m Jessica, Sooyoung’s … um friend … from high school.” Jessica smiled at the beautiful tan woman. She did not want to overstep her boundary and imply any special relationship with Sooyoung before the girl told Yuri herself. She waved before making her way over to offer her hand.

                Yuri stared at Jessica’s hand before she slowly squeezed and shook it. “Nice to meet you, Jessica.”

                Watching their first interaction made Sooyoung happy and sick at the same time. She was excited for the two people closest to her heart to meet. She was also sick with nervousness. Part of her wanted everything to be said, but she was afraid that her world might collapse. So at the time, she was frozen at her seat.

                “Ah, now that you’re here, she won’t be lonely … so I best get going.” Jessica turned back to Sooyoung and smiled. “Take care of yourself and message me when you leave.”

                Sooyoung wanted another hug from Jessica, but that would be a bad move at the moment. She smiled and waved to the icy-yet-warm princess. “Thank you for coming by and bringing me food.”

                “Eat well and get better, Soo.” Jessica came over to the bed and pinched Sooyoung’s cheek before she bowed to Yuri. “I’ll take my leave now, please take care of her.”

                Yuri pressed her lips together when she saw Jessica touch Sooyoung’s cheek. She wanted to scream and tell Jessica not to touch her Sooyoung. That would have been epic, but instead, she nodded and said, a little enviously. “Thanks for taking care of her while I was gone, I’ll try to be a good replacement.”

                Jessica smiled and exited the room.

                Yuri closed the door behind her.

                Sooyoung breathed and was grateful that their sudden meeting was more anticlimactic that she had anticipated. “Hey, Yuri. Welcome back.” She opened her bag of food, wanting a burger, but it was snatched out of her reach immediately. “Hey!”

                “You’re still healing, so greasy and processed food isn’t good for you.” Yuri stated very matter-of-factly. She tossed the McDonald’s bag onto a chair. She put a lunch bag on Sooyoung’s bedside table and took out some plastic containers. “I made you some pork congee. It’s good and nutritious.”

                Sooyoung frowned and got down from her bed. She walked around Yuri and grabbed the McDonald’s bag. “I’ll eat it later, right now I want to have some of this.” She was not in the mood to deal with Yuri’s jealousy.

                Yuri kept her back to Sooyoung and started repack all the containers of side items that she took out. “Fine. I’ll go and let you have time with your dearest Jessica and her greasy food.” She was not in the mood to placate Sooyoung.

                Sooyoung felt guilty watching Yuri’s back. She could tell the slight tremble in the woman’s shoulders and that replaced any annoyance she may have had with pity. “I’m sorry … I want to eat your congee, too.” She placed a hand on Yuri’s shoulder, offering a modest touch.

                Yuri stopped and shook her head. “You shouldn’t, because you’ll over eat and get a stomachache. You should just choose one. This is just plain congee, nothing that compares to …”

                “I’ll eat it … just bring it out, please.” Sooyoung understood Yuri’s hint. She put the McDonald’s bag down beside her. “I’ll eat it first before the greasy food.” She sat down on her bed and pulled the table closer to her. “Don’t make me ask twice.” She looked up at Yuri’s reddened eyes.

                Yuri nodded and brought the food out again. It was one container of congee with three smaller containers of kimchi and other side dishes. While she did not usually cook, she wanted to feed Sooyoung something other than the hospital food. She knew even the shikshin would reject those. After, she understood Sooyoung best.

                 “Did you get some rest?” Yuri asked before she handed Sooyoung a spoon.

                “I slept really well, but it still didn’t make the hospital food taste any better.” Sooyoung smiled a bit and shook her head. “So how did the meeting with Kahi-unni go? Did she give you a hard time about coming back early without telling her?”

                Yuri came to Sooyoung’s bed and sat down beside her. “She didn’t give me a hard time because she was too disturbed after hearing about what Yoona did to you. Your medical expenses will be covered by worker’s compensation. The contract with Yoona is terminated and Kahi-unni promised to look into keeping her away from you.” Yuri gave Sooyoung a quick synopsis.

                “Good.” Sooyoung smiled. “Thanks for going in my place.” She started to slurp on the congee. “Mmm … it’s good.”

                “You’re welcome.” Yuri paused and studied Sooyoung’s face. The air between them felt formal and awkward in some strange way. “How are you feeling?”

                “I’ve aches all over, but I’m alive.” Sooyoung tried to sound strong, but she really just wanted to lay her head on Yuri’s shoulder. She wanted to have their intimacy back, but she could not risk leading Yuri on. Things were even more awkward now.

                They sat like that for a little while until Yuri turned to Sooyoung. “So that was Jessica?”

                Sooyoung her lips and looked at Yuri’s curious, yet stoic expression.  She resigned herself to at least give some sort of explanation. “Yes. She’s here to observe one of her uncle’s surgeries … we ran into each other in the hallway.”

                “You didn’t call her?”

                It felt like an interrogation, but Sooyoung controlled herself. “No. It was by accident.”

                “Then why did she bring you food?”

                “I complained about the hospital food.”

                “You wanted her to come by with food?”

                “A little bit. Yeah.”

                “You didn’t think I would bring you food?”

                “Yuri.” Sooyoung had enough. Her usually migraine was made worse with her head trauma. “Now is not the time.”

                Yuri looked over at Sooyoung’s expression of discomfort. She realized her mistake. “I’m sorry, Soo. I don’t know why I’m acting this way.”

                Sooyoung grunted and shook her head. “It’s my fault.”

                They sat like that for a while, Sooyoung eating in silence and Yuri staring into space. When Sooyoung was done with the congee and the McDonald’s, she was so stuffed that she could hardly move. Even her breathing was labored. “Ugh … I don’t feel so well …”

                “That’s what you get for stuffing at that into your mouth.” Yuri suddenly laughed and pointed at Sooyoung’s slightly protruding belly. “You’ve got a food baby!”

                Sooyoung frowned and smacked Yuri’s pointing hand. “Shut it! I don’t have a food baby!” Feeling a bit self-conscious, she reached for the blanket to cover her belly.

                “Alright … I guess I won’t tell you to get ready since you’re discharged.” Yuri said in a playful voice and got up from the bed. “I’m just going to go home now …”

                “Hey! W-wait! Take me with you!” Sooyoung reached out and grabbed Yuri’s hand. “I don’t want to stay here another minute.”

                “But your Jessica might come by …” Yuri’s voice sounded a bit more bitter than playful. She squeezed Sooyoung’s hand.

                Sooyoung blushed and shook her head. “Fine. I’ll just go home myself.” She let go of Yuri.

                Yuri sighed because of her newly developed ability to kill good moods. She put on a cheerful face and meronged Sooyoung. “Geez, I can’t even joke with you anymore! Here, I brought you some clean clothes.” She pushed a backpack over to the sulking woman.

                Sooyoung switched her frown into a smile and nodded. She ped the bag and pulled out the clothes that Yuri had prepared. As she was about to her hospital gown, she looked over to Yuri, who was sitting nearby and watching her. “Urm …”

                “Huh?” Yuri blinked and pointed at herself. “You want me … to leave?”

                Sooyoung smiled and nodded lightly. “Please.”

                “But I’ve seen …” Yuri complained, but the look in Sooyoung’s eyes told her to comply. “I’ll turn around and close my eyes.” She did as she said and gave Sooyoung privacy. However, it was not long before she heard the other woman clear .

                “I need some help, Yuri.” Sooyoung’s voice was so soft and sweet, like a little prayer.

                “It’s not like I can help you, I’m all the way over here … with my eyes closed.” Yuri replied and folded her arms, playing hard to get.

                “I only have one arm right now, quit being mean to me.” Sooyoung tossed her pillow and hit Yuri in the back of her head.

                With a sigh, Yuri shrugged. “I guess I can help you. But you owe me for having to see you .” She got up and slowly approached Sooyoung. She did not want to appear too eager or excited.

                “I’m not ! I’ve got underwear on.” Sooyoung growled and stuck her tongue out at Yuri, who shirked in reply.

                Even though it was not the first time Sooyoung was disrobed by Yuri, it certainly felt like something was new. She acted like an untouched , with the blushing and avoiding of eye contacts. Yuri, on the other hand, enjoyed it thoroughly so she went about it at a snail’s speed.

                First off was Sooyoung’s hospital gown. One arm at a time, the gown slipped down Sooyoung’s shoulders. Before long, it was tossed aside. Even though they were at a hospital, if Sooyoung had agreed to it, Yuri would have blown her mind right there and then. Yet, Yuri practiced her constraint.

                 Next, Yuri put Sooyoung’s shirt on. It was difficult since one of Sooyoung’s arm was in a cast, but they got it done. The jeans were what Yuri enjoyed most because she made Sooyoung even redder with seemingly innocent touches on the younger woman’s inner thighs. It took much longer than it should have, but eventually Sooyoung was changed.

                “Thank you.” Sooyoung touched her burning cheeks and avoided Yuri’s gaze.

                Yuri grinned and winked. “No problem. Don’t blush too much or the blood’s going to rush to your head and your wound might start bleeding again.” She said in a teasing tone.

                Sooyoung gave her helper a mean look before she slipped into her shoes. When she was all dressed, she grabbed her bag. “Let’s get out of here before they change their mind and want to keep me longer.”

                “Hehe, it’s funny watching you waddle around like that.” Yuri said with a grin. “You’ve got a food baby!”

                “Shut up! I’m in all sorts of pain and you’re laughing at me!” Sooyoung tossed a pillow at the instigator.

                Yuri quickly dodged the pillow and laughed. “I’ve already taken care of your discharge paperworks, you don’t have to hurry.” She caught up to Sooyoung as the other woman pulled out her phone. Yuri caught a glimpse at the screen. Sooyoung was letting Jessica know that she was leaving the hospital. Inside, Yuri wondered what was up with all the emoticons. Sooyoung never used emoticons in her texts to Yuri.

                “That Jessica needs to go away.” Yuri thought before she grabbed Sooyoung’s hand. She would be the one to take Sooyoung home and take care of her, not Jessica. Yuri saw nothing special in Jessica, she was confident that she could make Sooyoung hers.


Hello everyone. 

Due to the great outage of AFF on 3/11, this chapter disappeared along with the comments for chapters 24 & 25. I have good news and bad news. Good news: I do have a back up of this chapter. Bad news: It is in my PC at my parents' place, 700 miles (11 hrs) away from me at the moment. I was on vacation at that time so I wrote on the 23 in display instead of my laptop's 13 in display ... I knew should have backed it up on my laptop, but I didn't ... stupid me! I won't be going back there until May 1st.

I know I should rewrite it or something, but that would take time away from the continuation of the story. So I have opted to continue to Chapter 26 and just have a summary of Ch. 25 here as a place holder until I get my back up in May. I'm sorry to the new readers who started the story during this time. But since I have school and work, it's already a little hard for me to keep on schedule. I apologize and will get the back up here as soon as I can!

Thanks for your patience and support.

Summary in the words of itgetgo:

soo at hospital/ bumps into jess/ jess brings mcdonalds/ awkward yulsic meeting/ Yuri brings some homecooked food/ soo eats everything!!/ Yuri helps soo change clothes

 

Summary in the words of fallingforsoshi15:

Sooyoung wakes up with cardboard-tasting food on the table, she gets up for coffee, bumps into Jessica again, Jessica buys her McDonalds and entertains injured Soo, SooSic hug then Yuri walks in with home-cooked food, silent YulSic meeting, Soo eats all the food and gets a tummy ache, then Yuri helps Sooyoung get dressed.