Love is a Beginning

One Shot at Love

OH SEHUN

 

"Uh... Are you sure he won't wake up?" A soft, timid voice spoke.

"Pssh don't worry, Sehun sleeps like a rock. I'll show you. YAH, OH SEHUN!"

I groaned, turning over in my bed. "Luna what the hell are you doing here?" I sleepily opened my eyes, slowly taking in the sight of my best friend sitting next to Jongin on his bed. It was always beyond me how Luna managed to casually walk into the male dormitory and come into my room.

"Oh, you're up? How are you feeling?" She asked casually as if she wasn't the reason I had woken up from my slumber.

"I feel fine," I said, voice thick with sleep, as I sat up tiredly, "More importantly what are you doing in my room?"

She pouted sarcastically, "Yixing told me you weren't feeling too well today so I came to check on you."

"You don't have to babysit me, you know. I was just tired and came to take a nap."

"You don't have to be such a about it. And here I was caring about you," She rolled her eyes, "But hey, look at the bright side. I got to meet your new roommate, which is by the way, way more fun than you are."

Instead of replying to her, I simply gave her the finger before my eyes went to Jongin who was sitting next to her and silently looking at me. He cleared his throat once my eyes met his.

"Sorry if we woke you up..." he apologized with a guilty look in his eyes.

"That's okay. It was Luna's annoying voice that woke me up," I said pointedly as I stood up and stretched my body.

"You don't have to apologize to him, Jongin," Luna scoffed, "He's a anyway. And you're just jealous of my amazing voice."

"Sure," I harshly ruffled her hair as I made my way to the toilet, just because I knew it annoyed the hell out of her.  Knowing she was about to throw something at me in response, I ran to the washroom and closed the door before she could.

" you, Sehun!" She yelled, loud enough for me to hear as I chuckled to myself. Luna and I fought like this a lot, and practically lived off of annoying the hell out of each other, but at the end of the day we were best friends and it was all in good fun.

I washed my face and freshened up before coming back out of the toilet, finding Luna and Jongin in a deep conversation about their favorite musical artists. Luna was always the social butterfly and made friends in basically no time. I was social too but not nearly as much as she was. The fact that she got pretty chummy with my roommate before I did was already saying something.

Jongin seemed engaged in their conversation, but he wasn't talking nearly as much as Luna was. When he did speak, I'd find myself admiring his smooth, melodic voice. It was pleasant to just listen to, and I meant that in the least creepy way possible. I wondered if he was a good singer too. I silently watched the two of them through my mirror as I combed through my hair.

"Have I been replaced already?" I asked with a fake pout.

"I'm sorry, who are you again?" Luna asked, feigning a confused look.

I glared at her playfully and Jongin laughed softly in amusement at our exchange. Damn, even his laugh sounds nice.

"Hey, Jongin, what do you say we treat you out to dinner tonight? As a 'congratulations' for getting through the auditions," Luna suggested enthusiastically.

I cleared my throat, "We?"

"Yes, we. I need to save up some cash. That tuition is not paying itself."

I scoffed, "You can't even treat your new best friend out to dinner?"

"Hey, he's your roommate. Have some class."

"You guys don't really have to trouble yourselves," Jongin cut in between our argument.

"It's no trouble! It's just a little welcome gift from us. Now, let's go! I'm starving."

"You're always starving," I grumbled under my breath before turning to Jongin and smiling, "Well, roommate, let's go. I'll treat you to dinner. Because Luna here has to save her money."

"Hey! I said we'd split the bill!"

"Like you said, he's my roommate."

I might have just been seeing things, but it looked like his eyes sparkled for a second, "Well, if you guys insist...."

 

 

On our walk out of the dormitory building, we learned that Jongin's favorite food was fried chicken. Conveniently enough, there was a restaurant nearby that sold really good fried chicken, just a fifteen minute walk away from the dorm building. Luna kept the atmosphere light by talking about all sorts of random things. I stayed quiet most of the time, and Jongin mostly only spoke when she asked him a question or just throwing in an opinion every now and again. I was walking next to him and couldn't help but notice he smelled really nice. Must be some pretty expensive cologne. When we arrived at the restaurant, we ordered a big bucket of fried chicken with fries and soft drinks. I paid for the entire meal with very little resistance on Luna's part (and I was pretty sure the bit she showed was just because Jongin was around). We then sat down at a booth in the corner of the restaurant as we waited for our food.

"So, how old are you, Jongin?" I asked, actually a little curious.

"I'm eighteen. And you?"

"Nineteen. And this ahjumma here is twenty," I added, gesturing to Luna, who scowled at me in response. Jongin laughed softly as we began to throw insults at each other, almost forgetting we had someone else with us. Soon enough, our food arrived. Luna was quick to dive into the delicious fried chicken, and Jongin and I not long after.

"So how long have you two known each other? You seem pretty close." Jongin asked curiously as he tore at his leg piece, softly at the juicy goodness and , why the hell did that sound so damn y? I mentally slapped myself at the thought. 

Clearing my throat, I answered, "First grade. I've been stuck with her ever since."

"Oh, shut up, you love being stuck with me," Luna said, pulling my cheek with her oily hand.

"Seriously, Luna?!" I groaned, wiping the oil off my cheek with a tissue begrudgingly as the two laughed at me. Normally I would have taken revenge but I decided to hold myself back since Jongin was here and we had already bickered enough in front of him. I had to at least be the slightly more mature one.

"I'm so gonna get you back for this later." I said, glaring at her as I grabbed another chicken piece and bit into it. I looked to find Jongin smiling at me with that odd glint in his eyes again, but immediately looked away once he realized I noticed. The three of us continued to eat our food, staying mostly silent because apparently even noisy- Luna respected the fact that there was food on the table. There was no awkwardness in the air though. I would find myself glancing at Jongin at times, and I'd even catch him glancing at me a few times. I wasn't sure what it was about him, but I found my eyes lingering on him longer than they had to. He was very handsome, and somehow managed to still look attractive even while eating. I could only guess how many girls would fall for a guy as good-looking as him.

The silence was interrupted when Luna's cell phone rang. She wiped her hands off with a few tissues and answered her phone.

"Hey, what's up?... What? Now?" She looked up at us and pouted, "Can't it wait?" Her face scrunched up as the person on the other line seemed to yell at her, "Alright, alright, sheesh. I'll be there in twenty. I hate you... Bye."

She sighed as she put her phone down, "Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to go. Amber told me the vocal file got corrupted and I need to go record all over again right now."

"Well that ." I said uncaringly as I munched on a few fries, "More food for us. You have fun!"

Luna rolled her eyes and stood up, "I'm sorry, Jongin. I would have liked to stay for longer but life happens, y'know."

"That's okay," he smiled at her politely, "We can always hang out some other time."

"For sure. See you tomorrow then!" She said cheerfully, "And you too, loser."

"Yeah yeah, get out of here already."

She smacked the back of my head lightly and grabbed her leather jacket from her seat before leaving, waving one last time at Jongin.

It seemed like the moment Luna left, the awkwardness started to seep into the air between us once again. Now that she was gone, I had to try to make some conversation or it would just get even more awkward. Thing is, I really wasn't sure what to talk about with him. It was usually easy for me to talk to people but when it came to Jongin, there was just this block.

"So... What type of dancing do you like?" Jongin finally broke the silence, tilting his head to the side curiously.

"Uh, I mostly dance contemporary and hip-hop. But I also really like Latin-American dancing, like the Rumba and Samba. I'm just not very good at it." I said with a soft laugh.

"I'm actually pretty good at those. And I'm sure you can do it if you practice hard enough. As long as you're flexible, especially in the hips."

"I'm pretty flexible," I stated confidently, taking a sip from my Coke can, "But they don't teach Latin-American dance here at SAU. And I don't really have a partner to practice with. No one I know is interested in it either."

"Hm, I could be your partner."

I almost spat out my drink.

"You?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"You're a guy," I stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Jongin laughed softly, "So what? Don't worry, I'll let you be the lead."

I raised an eyebrow, "So you don't mind being the 'woman'?"

He laughed melodiously once more, "Nah, not at all."

"You do know Latin dance can get pretty... touchy, right?" I asked with a slight blush on my cheeks.

"Yeah? So? You aren't comfortable getting touchy with other guys?"

"Not particularly..."

Jongin shrugged, "Well, offer still stands."

"Wait so you actually know how to dance Latin? And you can teach me?"

"I took a couple of classes," Jongin replied, "Sure I can teach you."

"That's awfully nice of you," I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, "What's the catch?"

He laughed softly, "No catch. I mean, I really enjoy dancing Latin. And just between you and me, I also happen to rather enjoy being led." His tone dipped slightly at the end and he almost sounded... suggestive? I was pretty sure it wasn't intentional though.

"But isn't it... I don't know, emasculating?"

"Maybe for an observer. But once you try it it's actually pretty fun," He said with a smile, "I might need to lead you sometimes as well though. For demonstration of course."

"I guess that makes sense."

"So what about it?"

I thought about it for a second. I really did like Latin dance and always wanted to learn it, but never really got the opportunity. And here Jongin was, offering to teach me for free. Sure he might not have been a professional tutor but something was better than nothing. The only problem was the getting touchy part. And getting touchy with a guy could be very dangerous for me.

I figured maybe I had to compromise a little if I got to learn Latin dance for free.

"Alright... But we should probably do this in secret 'cause... you know." I said sheepishly.

Jongin nodded in understanding, "No problem. So we could practice for about an hour or so everyday?"

"That sounds fine. Though I might have to pass tomorrow since I have to film for our music video."

"Music video?"

"It's a group project. A collaborative effort of the music, dance, art and film faculties. The theme is dance and we have to make a full-fledged music video."

Jongin whistled, "Seems like hard work. So you compose the song and choreograph the dance yourselves?"

"Yeah, pretty much. We had three guys from the music club compose and perform the song. Yixing and I choreographed the dance."

"That's pretty cool. I'd like to watch it when it's done."

"Sure, I could give you a copy of the music video," I said with a smile. It was then that I realized the tension in the air from before had completely dispersed and we were talking effortlessly. Conversation carried us from dance to music, to where we lived and childhood stories. Jongin surely was enjoyable company, and we found a lot of things in common. We liked a lot of the same music and enjoyed a lot of the same activities like gaming and basketball. We talked for hours about all types of random things, laughing together heartily. Over and over I found myself admiring his melodious laugh and smooth voice. I found myself admiring his features as he talked to me, the way his eyes crinkled when he laughed, his plump lips, and just how handsome he was in general. 

Damn he's attractive... but I really need to stop checking him out before it gets out of hand.

 

 

The next morning, I showed Jongin around the campus, just as promised, and we bumped into Yixing on our way.

"Oh hey, Sehun. Are you feeling better today?" Yixing asked.

"Yeah, I'm as good as new."

"That's great." Yixing turned to Jongin and instantly his eyes recognized him, "Oh, I saw you at the auditions a week ago. Your performance was pretty impressive."

Jongin shyly scratched the back of his neck, "Thanks."

"Xing, this is my new roommate, Jongin."

"I'm Yixing, nice to meet you," He said with a smile, extending his hand out to Jongin. The latter smiled and shook it with his own.

"Jongin. Nice to meet you, too."

"Listen, Tao is waiting for us at the styling room. I'm just gonna go grab something from my bag. Meet you there." Yixing informed before quickly walking away.

"Say, do you wanna come with me? If you're free right now, that is." I found myself asking, "You could watch us shoot the last scene for the music video today."

"Sure, I don't have classes until 10 a.m. anyway. I'll tag along."

"Great."

As we walked toward the studio, Jongin asked, "By the way, did something happen with you yesterday? Your friend from earlier asked if you were feeling better so I was just kinda curious."

"Oh," I laughed nervously, "Well it's kinda embarrassing but... I passed out while dancing yesterday. I, uh... I'm anemic."

"Ah, I see..." Jongin said awkwardly. I could tell he wasn't really sure how to react to that. Fortunately, we reached the studio before it could get awkward. I found Tao sitting in the room, going through his makeup collection. He looked up when he heard us entering and greeted me half-heartedly, before his eyes shifted to Jongin and he froze.

"You..." He pointed at Jongin, narrowing his eyes, "I remember you..."

I looked at Jongin, confused, only to see he had a neutral look on his face.

"You were the guy who was peeking into the studio like a creep the other day."

"Wait, what?"

I briefly remembered the time when Tao walked into the studio with the outfits, grumbling about some creepy guy who was peeking into the studio from the hallway. It was the same day I saw Jongin for the first time.

Wait so... did he follow me?

I looked at Jongin, confused. He opened his mouth to reply but before he could, Yixing walked into the room, telling Tao he needed to hurry with the hair and makeup because Luhan was getting impatient. Soon enough the whole topic was forgotten and Tao started working on my makeup as Yixing got into the changing room to change into his costume. Meanwhile Jongin sat quietly at the back of the room, simply watching us work. Our eyes met a couple of times through the mirror in front of me but he diverted his gaze every time, as if embarrassed. I wasn't really sure how to think of the whole situation, and what possible reason he had for peeking into the studio that day, but decided not to ask about it and make things awkward. I still hoped to be good friends with Jongin.

When we were done with the styling, we made our way to the last filming location, which was the theater. Jongin followed behind us quietly. When we arrived, we saw that Luhan and Chanyeol had finished setting up the cameras and were waiting for us. 

"There you guys are. Come on, get in positions. I ain't got all day," Luhan yelled impatiently.

"Someone needs a chill pill," I muttered under my breath before turning to Jongin, "You can just sit down anywhere and watch us."

"Good luck," He smiled at me and took one of the seats in the large theater as Yixing and I made our way to the stage. The other guys asked who Jongin was and I answered them shortly saying he was my new roommate and wanted to watch us film. With that, Luhan shrugged and told us to quickly take our positions on the stage.

"Three, two, one, action."

The song, "What is Love," began to play and Yixing and I went about our choreography naturally on hearing the music. We had to make two more takes since Luhan had a few minor criticisms the first few times. We couldn't really blame him though, it was a pretty important project and all of us wanted it to be perfect. After about an hour, we were finally done.

"Good work, everyone. Now y'all get to rest your asses off while I edit the out of this MV."

Yixing and I laughed at Luhan's remark as the rest of the guys began to wrap up all the equipment. I stretched my arms up, satisfied that the filming was finally over. As I made my way out of the theater, I stopped to look at Jongin who had gotten up from his seat.

"So, what did you think?" I asked.

"You guys were amazing," Jongin said genuinely, eyes wide, "And you seriously know how to move your hips. I think you're perfect for Latin dancing."

I laughed softly and blushed at the compliment, "Thanks..."

"Who came up with the idea of using the shirt and the hat as props? That was pretty genius."

"Yeah, that was all Yixing. He's great at picking out props and choreography."

Jongin whistled, "You guys are seriously talented. I don't think I could ever catch up."

"Of course you can," I tapped his shoulder, "You're a good dancer yourself, from what I've seen so far."

"Thank you. Well... I should really go now since I have my first class. I'll see you later?" Jongin said, somewhat expectantly.

"Sure. Good luck on your first day."

"Thanks."

I watched Jongin leave the theater as Yixing caught up to me and threw an arm around me, "Good work today, partner."

I smiled at him happily, "You too, Xing."

"Hey. You seem pretty close with that Jongin guy already."

I chuckled, "Yeah, you could say that."

"Well, you could invite him to have lunch with us later today."

"Sure," I shrugged, "Come on, let's go change out of these costumes."

 


 

Hey guys! Fortunately I updated a little earlier this time. I hope the start isn't too slow for you guys, I really want to take my time with building their relationship. Thank you all for the upvotes and I shall see you guys next time with another chapter! Who else is looking forward to y Sekai Latin dancing time? ;)