1:12

An Evil Maknae's Guide to Motherhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, everyone! Sorry for the long wait. My dog’s still not well and I have to keep giving lots of tablets and pills every day.

Anyway, long chapter ahead of us here. Hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Book 1: Impossible? It’s Possible!

Chapter 12: Minhyun

The rest of the morning wore on, and afternoon came, and still Kyuhyun hadn’t opened his eyes. Hankyung sat by the maknae’s bed the whole time.

“I don’t suppose he’s already woken up, and just won’t open his eyes to prolong my torture?” Hankyung couldn’t help but ask his uncle when the doctor came in to check the monitors attached to the evil maknae.

His uncle gave him a sad smile. “I’m afraid not.”

Hankyung let out a long sigh. Well, it was vain hope on his part. Because he’d really much rather that the maknae was just playing tricks on him right now, since that would mean that Kyuhyun really was okay. But alas, this one time when Hankyung actually hoped beyond hope that he was pranked by the maknae, it wasn’t so.

Just then, Su Yin came in the room, rolling in front of her the bassinette holding the baby. Hankyung shifted his chair a bit so that his cousin could place the bassinette right by Kyuhyun’s bed.

“As his mother couldn’t hold him right now, I figured this is the best the baby can get at moment,” Su Yin explained.

At Su Yin’s use of the word ‘mother’, Hankyung’s head snapped to look at Kyuhyun again. But no, there was no angry retort from the evil maknae that he was the baby’s father, not mother, and that really confirmed for Hankyung that Kyuhyun was still unconscious and unwell.

“Maybe let Hangeng hold the baby?” the doctor suggested as he made some notes about Kyuhyun’s vitals on a chart.

That got Hankyung to smile what must have been his first genuine smile since he found out that the maknae’s life was in danger. Holding his nephew would be great… even if it was a small, pink, wrinkly-looking thing.

But just as Hankyung reached over to pick up the baby, his arms stopped suddenly.

“What’s wrong?” his cousin raised an eyebrow at him.

“No,” Hankyung shook his head, pulling his arms back. “No. Kuixian should be the first to hold his son.”

It was Kyuhyun who suffered and sacrificed a lot in the past months, after all. And it was also Kyuhyun who risked his life to give birth to the wrinkly-looking thing baby. Kyuhyun should hold the baby first before Hankyung.

His uncle and his cousin shared a look, then they both nodded, understanding and respecting Hankyung’s decision.

“Well, you can at least help me fill out the information that would be put on the baby’s birth certificate. I should send this out soon, the offices would close in a couple of hours,” Su Yin told Hankyung as she produced some official-looking papers.

“Surely those can wait a few more days,” Hankyung frowned at her.

“Not if we don’t want to risk Kuixian waking up and really naming the baby ‘Excalibur’,” Su Yin raised her eyebrows at Hankyung.

Hankyung’s eyes widened as he realized what his cousin was suggesting. His cousin wants to go behind Kyuhyun’s back and name the baby something else? Maybe a normal name, not the name of a legendary sword?

“And on that note, I’m out of here. I’ll leave you two to it,” the doctor quickly said, going out of the room. If his daughter and his nephew wanted to name the baby something other than Kyuhyun’s choice of ‘Excalibur’, he wasn’t staying here. That way, he couldn’t be blamed for anything and risk Kyuhyun’s wrath.

“Kuixian won’t be happy if we name the baby anything other than ‘Excalibur’,” Hankyung muttered, glancing uneasily at Kyuhyun’s still unconscious form on the bed.

“Can your conscience take it, letting your nephew go through the rest of his life carrying the name ‘Excalibur’?” Su Yin asked him testily.

Hankyung didn’t answer. His conscience and concern for his nephew was battling with his great fear of Kyuhyun’s wrath.

“Just pick out a normal Korean name for the baby, for goodness sake,” she insisted.

Hankyung groaned. Kyuhyun will kill him for this. But at the same time… he glanced at his nephew who was sleeping peacefully in the bassinette, unaware that he was currently at the risk of being named after a goddamn sword (and no matter how mystical and legendary it was, it was still a sword). And only Hankyung acting fast now while Kyuhyun was still unconscious could save him from that fate.

“Fine,” Hankyung finally agreed, his conscience overpowering his fear (for now). “But I don’t really know much good Korean names…”

“You spent all those years in Korea!”

Hankyung just shrugged helplessly.

Su Yin sighed. “Well, there must be a normal Korean name that even Kuixian would find acceptable for his baby.”

“Yes. Kyuhyun junior,” Hankyung deadpanned.

 Su Yin made a face and Hankyung chuckled at her.

“Hmmm… how about ‘Changkyu’?” Hankyung suggested after a while, unable to come up with anything else. “It still has ‘Kyu’ in it, which would hopefully pacify Kyuhyun a little. And it’s appropriate.”

“By naming the baby something other than ‘Excalibur’, you risk Kuixian killing you. By naming the baby ‘Changkyu’, you’re asking Kuixian to kill you- that’s practically suicide!” Su Yin told him bluntly.

“Well, he really is Changkyu’s child,” Hankyung gestured at the peacefully sleeping baby with his hand.

“And I’m sure Kuixian just wants that proclaimed so obviously,” Su Yin said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

Hankyung pursed his lips. “Changmin… Kyuhyun… Chang… Min… Kyu… Hyun… Changkyu’s a no-no… Min… Hyun…” Hankyung’s eyes widened. “That’s it! Minhyun!”

“Is that final?” Su Yin asked for confirmation, her pen posed on top of the paper, ready to write.

Hankyung nodded slowly. “Yeah… yeah… I mean, I can’t really come up with anything else… and Minhyun sounds like a good name, right?”

“Anything sounds a better name than ‘Excalibur’ to me, to be honest,” his cousin muttered as she wrote the name carefully on the form.

Hankyung let out a hollow laugh. Hollow, because had Kyuhyun been awake, they would have heard a long, winding speech about how ‘Excalibur’ was a ‘perfectly awesome’ name- and that’s just it, it reminded Hankyung that Kyuhyun still hadn’t woken up.

“Oh, and the last name’s ‘Cho’,” Hankyung added to his cousin.

“As if I’d dare write ‘Shim’ here,” Su Yin huffed. If the worst happened and Kyuhyun never woke up again, she was sure that Kyuhyun would find a way to come back as a ghost and haunt her for the rest of her life for giving his son the last name of ‘Shim’ instead of ‘Cho’.

“Right,” Su Yin said nodded as she finished the form. “I’ll go ahead and fax this to the office that would make the birth certificate.” And she strode out of the room.

Hankyung turned to the baby. He reached out a finger and touched his nephew’s tiny hand.

“Welcome to the world, Cho Minhyun,” Hankyung smiled at bit at him. Then, he turned to look at Kyuhyun again. He sighed. “Let’s just hope that your mother wakes up soon, so that he can finally hold you, huh, Minhyunnie?”

Soon, the afternoon passed, and evening came, and before long it was already dawn of the next day. It had been over 24 hours already since Kyuhyun had been unconscious.

As the first rays of light slowly crept into the room through the small window, Hankyung snored on softly in his uncomfortable plastic chair beside Kyuhyun’s bed. Su Yin was curled up on the cot by the wall opposite the end of Kyuhyun’s bed, and her father was napping in his office. None of them could bear to go home while Kyuhyun still hadn’t woken up.

And they were all tired and stressed from yesterday, which was why neither Hankyung nor Su Yin woke up and noticed the gradual changes in the monitors attached to Kyuhyun. Or how his fingers were starting to twitch and his eyelids were fluttering a bit.

As the sun started to rise for the new day, Kyuhyun finally opened his eyes again.

Kyuhyun groggily looked around the room. Where was he? What was going on?

And then the most horrible thing happened! He realized that he had a breathing mask on, that there were cables for monitors attached to him, and (the most horrific of all horrific things in the world) he had an IV on his hand! NEEDLE!

“AHHH-!” Kyuhyun started to scream, only to end up in a coughing fit, still weak and his voice unused for a short time.

Well, that successfully woke up Hankyung and Su Yin.

“Kyuhyun!” Hankyung exclaimed happily once he realized that Kyuhyun was finally awake. Oh, thank heavens his beloved dongsaeng made it! “OhmigawdyoureawakethankgodIwassoworried-!“

But then, his mind processed Kyuhyun’s panicked expression and flailing arms, not even paying the slightest attention to his hyung’s garbled rambling, as he tried to get rid of his breathing mask on his face.

“What’s wrong?” Hankyung asked anxiously, hurrying over to Kyuhyun, but not really sure of what to do. Meanwhile, Su Yin ran out of the room to get her father.

Kyuhyun succeeded in moving down his breathing mask, so he was able to talk a bit better. “M-medical e-equipment!” Kyuhyun stuttered, still panicking. “Medical equipment, hyung! Oh my God, did I die? Am I in hell? Okay, I’m evil and I’ll probably party in hell, but not this kind of hell! Why are there lots of medical equipment in this hell? I don’t like this hell!” the maknae cried as he tried to detach the cables from him.

Just like that, Hankyung’s anxiety turned to exasperation. Kyuhyun had nearly died and he was still weak, but he still focuses more on his hatred for medical related things? Well, at least that showed he was still the same Kyuhyun and that his brain was still functioning normally, right?

…Whatever ‘normal’ meant in Kyuhyun’s standard.

“Kyuhyun, you nearly died! Those things need to stay right where they are, don’t remove them!” Hankyung tried to reason with Kyuhyun.

As if reason ever worked with Kyuhyun when it came to the evil medical things.

“I’ll really die if they stay on me for one more minute!”

Hankyung huffed and rolled his eyes. Kyuhyun will be Kyuhyun…

The doctor and Su Yin came bursting into the room, only to receive a death glare so scary from Kyuhyun that it made them halt in their tracks. Weak as he was, that still didn’t mean that the evil maknae wasn’t capable of giving death glares.

“You!” Kyuhyun hissed venomously at them. He went into a coughing fit again, but as soon as that was over, he started his rant again. “You did this to me!” he gestured wildly at all the equipment attached to him. Then, he looked accusingly at Hankyung, and added in Korean, “And you- you let them! How could you, hyung?!” He had never felt so betrayed! How could his hyung do this to him?!

“Relax, relax,” the doctor said as he removed the breathing mask totally from Kyuhyun’s face and started removing the monitor cables. “I’ll get them off you in a jiffy.”

“They should never have been on me in the first place!”

The doctor just sighed and went on with his task.

“Is it okay to remove those now?” Hankyung asked his uncle, a bit worried.

Kyuhyun sent him another glare. How dare Hankyung suggest that these vile medical equipment stay on him for any longer?!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter