The White Veil Occasion

She's The Bridegroom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3:    The White Veil Occasion

Pie Mindara Manaying

The ‘most awaited’ day has finally arrived. I was almost done; garbed in a white wedding gown laced with gold. I sat in the room, feeling like a human doll as the helpers did my makeup, done my hair and did everything they ought it was necessarily. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. It did not surprise me that I looked extremely not happy. I was not. I remembered the day I gave the invitation cards to my colleagues. They were all surprised with it; most have never expected that I was going to get married too soon but I did not even care that much with their reaction. What mattered to was Fern’s. She was really disappointed with me; so frustrated with my decision that she refused to talk to me for the rest of the week. As much as I felt sad because of her cold treatment, I could not blame her to behave in such way. She has warned me about the matter and it was clear to me that she was not in favour with what had I done. I made her upset. However, would it sound too wrong if I wished she would come today? I just wanted her to be here and support me even though she disliked all of this. Her presence was all I need to ease my feeling.

The knocks on the door caught everybody’s attention. I did not bother to have a look. One of the helpers got the door and I heard she welcomed someone in. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Fern walked to my direction. A smile crept on my lips involuntary. She came. “Hello there, gorgeous bride.” She smiled and did not seem mad at me now. I managed to check her out all over. She had her pink pastel dress which hung on her frame perfectly. It wrapped around her frame, pointing out her stunning figure. She has and always been more beautiful than me, I think.

            “I thought you wouldn’t want to come.” I pouted, welcoming her into a hug when she reached me. Fern placed herself in my arms momentarily before she pulled back and scanned me all over. There was something in her eyes I could never describe. Perhaps she was happy but it looked sad at the same time.

            “I was thinking of not going at all but Mario convinced me to come.” She was brutally honest. Realizing that I was a bit offended with her statement, Fern began to speak again. “And it dawn on me that I should not miss your big day too. You’re my best friend after all.” She squeezed my arm lightly as if she was trying to give me some sort of encouragement.

            “Thank you.” I told her.

            “You know that I have always disagreed with what you’re doing.” She began. I whipped my head to her direction to listen to the rest of her thought. “Nevertheless, I want you to know that I have always wished you the best. It will take me forever to brood about the consequences of your action and I was being optimistic that perhaps there is a better thing yet to come to your life.” Fern seemed sincere with her words. Somehow, the things that she told me were everything I ever needed. I was all messed up the whole week and it tortured me when I got no one to talk to. I was lost and I was empty. Crying would not mean to calm me anymore. Weeping all the nights would not solve my problem. I admitted that I was more than selfish until it drawn me to be so dumb. I could have just go for the rural teaching placement and survive there without having to burden myself with such foolish arrangement, instead, here I was, waiting to be bound to a stranger which soon to be my spouse.

            “Honestly I’m scared.” I blurted out. Fern did not seem startled by it, instead she nodded knowingly.

            “You should.” She tapped on my shoulder. “I’m expecting you feel that way since the very beginning.” Fern said. “Anyway, I can wait to see the bridegroom.” She squealed like an excited teenager. That somehow changed the entire mood in the room. I burst out laughing to witness her attitude. She did not change too much even though she’s married.

            “Well, you can go and get your seat now.” I pushed her lightly. “I will be there soon.” That was right. P’Boy told me that I should get prepared in thirty minutes and now I got like ten minutes left.

Without so many complaints, Fern waved her temporary goodbye to me as she left the room. The helpers assisted me as I rose on my feet. I was wondering if they put a read gold on the laces, the wedding gown felt strangely heavy. Shortly after, my Grandpa appeared at the door, wandering his eyes around to look at me. I was not sure whether he was just trying to make a joke but it was obviously I was supposed to be the centre of attention there. He should notice me first.

            “Pie?” He called me while taking out his glasses from his pocket. I got it. He did not wear his glasses but why?

            “Yes Grandpa.” I answered. He walked in a slow motion to my direction, taking as long as he needed as he gazed my whole figure. From the look in his eyes, he seemed mesmerized by my appearance. I let out a soft chuckle when he twirled me around gently. He adored my gown that much.

            “You look so pretty.” He complimented. “Just like your mother.” My heart sank to the thought of my late mother.

            “Mom would be upset if she is here.” I told him. Grandpa shook his head immediately and motioned me to keep still.

            “Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong.” He began and I guessed I knew what he was about to continue.

            “Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.” I continued it. Grandpa nodded in satisfaction upon hearing me. He has been telling the same thing to me over and over. To tell the truth, I have never understood it. Nothing is ever completely wrong. Even the stopped clock is right twice a day. It was just like a phrase to describe that not all things in the world are wrong. I did not think it carries another meaning though.

            “It’s time.” He took my hand and I clutched it to his arm. “Chin up! Smile Pie. Let them see you as the brightest bride of the day.” He said. I shrugged nonchalantly. Did I need their attention anyway? I guessed no but they were here to witness the wedding ceremony.

 

*******

The organ started to play, filling the church with its melody; it supposed to be glorious symphony but the song sounded like a death march to me. I walked down the aisle assisted by my beloved Grandpa. He looked strangely delighted today that he didn’t stop smiling since the early in the morning. I glanced to the sideway, my colleagues and friends were staring at me as if they had never seen me in person; I bet they were just not get used to see me in this attire; my white wedding gown. Short after, I caught Fern staring at me with such amazement. Seated next to her was her husband, Mario. He smiled to me when I shifted my gaze to him. He’s such Prince Charming, I could tell that. It’s too bad that he was taken by my best friend. No grudges. As we paced further down the aisle, my sight rested to the person who being the cause of this wedding to occur; the Principal of the school. He smiled brightly at me and nodded without a slight feel of guilt. I did not return any gesture of gratitude for his presence at my white veil occasion; instead I tore my gaze away to the end of the aisle. There, I saw my bridegroom stood like a pole just so fine for his height from the distance – surely, he was waiting for me and should I say I could not wait to see him? Perhaps yes but I think I would say I was nonchalant. I have never met him in person. I did not even know his name, how he looked or what he did for living. I just do not care about my husband to be and I think I would not care at all. I lay everything to my best friend, P’Boy. He found the bridegroom for me, he arranged the setting for my wedding and I let him to do whatever he thought is needed. Just like I mentioned earlier, I did not mind to take care of everything. In fact, I did not want it to take place at all. If you asked about Grandpa, he was a little bit shocked when P’Boy explained to him the whole story behind it yet he did not stop me with my sudden decision. It surprised me that he played it cool. I thought he was going to be so mad at me too, just like Fern did. Anyway, thank God he did not question me that much when he knew P’Boy was the one who took in charge for the preparation. He was aware that I love him tenderly and he, himself is quite old to handle the preparation of the wedding all by himself. He has been helping a lot though, that was by supporting all the costs for today. I got no clue why he bothered to make it real. He knew it, after all this was going to be a fake marriage.

I was just a few steps away before my Grandpa gave my hand to my bridegroom. It dawned upon me that my parents did not have the opportunity to see me on my weddi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter