Back to the City

She's The Bridegroom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 19: Back to the City

Mindara Manaying

It was still dark outside by the time I woke up but I knew the dawn will soon be here. When my body was electrocuted to life just now, I figured out that I had my head comfortably placed on Kimhan’s lap while she seemed undisturbed to sleep in a sitting position with one hand rested on my arm. Although it freaked me out at first, I did not suddenly release myself from her held. Instead I remove her hand slowly as not to wake her up that sudden. A heavy sigh voluntary escaped from my mouth. We must have fallen asleep here in the living room last night. Should I tell that I had a good sleep? Probably yes after two weeks of restless night.

My gaze rested on the figure next to me. Kimhan Burnaphan, the spouse by mistake was still asleep. I stared at her long enough to get me into a moment of reverie. She looked different from the day I got to know her. That hair was getting longer than the last time and did she lose weight this entire time? She looked thinner and also exhausted. She even looked more grown up by now.

“Pie…” She spoke and that startled me. “Yam…” She said but did not seem as if she was fully awake. The name I heard brought my thought way back to the first time we came here. It was still fresh in my mind; the two brothers, that horrible fight and also Aunty Inn. I might not have the fullest idea of what was going on but this Yam was a special someone to Kimhan. She always had that soft spot for her. Always.

“Kimhan wake up.” I shook her body and it did not take long for her soul to get back to life. I watched her readjusting her sight by rubbing the sleep away from her eyes.

“What time is it Pie?” She asked.

“Maybe it is six or so. Get up. We need to go back to the city.” I quickly rose to my feet and get my way to the bedroom. Honestly, I was so anxious to go back. It has been a while to be there again. I had not prepared myself to face Grandpa and all. However the good thing is, I could probably go and visit Fern.

 

****

“Welcome back Pie Mindara!” Kimhan said after long hours of silence. My power of ignoring Kimhan was getting stronger these days. I was not even bothered with the effort she made to actually have a conversation with me. Nothing interested me anymore. Everybody was making me sick.

“Does it feel good to come back to your place?” She asked.

I only answered it with a shrugged. I had mixed feeling about coming back. I should be happy. However, it was not what I was feeling today. My stomach churned into uneasy feeling. There was something tugging at my heart as if a dreadful thing was going to happen. It was not a good sign for the return.

“Do you wish to stop at the mansion first or we should head to Grandpa right away?” She asked again.

“To Grandpa, please? And please stop asking me more questions.” Whatever I told Kimhan made her silent all the way. I did not care how tensed and awkward the situation between us could be. I just did not wish to engage in an unnecessary conversation with Kimhan.

 

***

Grandpa hardly showed any expression when he saw me stepped into his private room. He did not even greet me with his always sweet smile as I approached him. In fact, he did not even bother with my presence and it totally hurt me. Kimhan dragged a chair for me, beckoning me to take a seat by the bedside. I was hesitated at first but Kimhan convinced me with the look in her eye that everything would be fine. I took the cue and braved myself to face this moment. It was my only chance to see Grandpa. It should be utilised for good.

“Kimhan could you please give us a moment,” He spoke more like demanding Kimhan to leave us alone. The seriousness in his tone made my heart burning with nervousness. I honestly wished Kimhan could stay but who would ever disobeyed the elder’s order? I watched Kimhan leaving the room and then silence enveloped Grandpa and I in a very strange way.

“Why are you even here?” He became the first one to break the long quietness.

“I come here to see you.” I could not even manage to hold a steady gaze at him. Guilt and shame taunted me; making it even more difficult to face him. I squirmed in my seat while my mind was filled with mess. One after another bad luck that had happened to me, I could not bear hatred from my own kin.

“Pie…” His voice smoothened. “I just want you to be happy and all I wish is the best for you.” He said and my attention was drawn to it. “I’m not getting any younger, sweetie. You know…when I leave everything behind, I want to be able to rest in peace. That’s by knowing that you have a good and happy life be it with Kimhan or somebody else.” He added. “Maybe I was too hard on you and maybe it was my fault too that you have to endure this. If you think that your decision will make you happier, then just do it. It’s all on you now.”

***

Kimhan agreed to accompany me for a little shopping before we went to Fern’s. It came to my mind that I could not be here again for quite some time after this break. That would mean I might not be able to come back until her due. I would buy her baby a present. That would be better than nothing. How I wish I could always be with her along her gestation period. I knew I missed a lot about my best friend’s first experience in pregnancy. I missed a lot about my old life ever since I was transferred to that isolated place too.

“I have never done this.” Kimhan said, brushing her gaze to the shelves stuffed with baby items. From clothes to toys; everything was here in the Baby Land. I planned to gift the baby with some clothes maybe. This would be helpful for someon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter