Bitter Truth

She's The Bridegroom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18: Bitter Truth

Mindara Manaying

Two weeks had passed since that horrendous night. This would be the first time ever in my entire existence that I was in a bad term with Grandpa. He despised me; in fact everybody began to hate me. I remembered vividly how he tried to stop me from leaving. He was furious, knowing that I was being insensible to everything. I disobeyed him and that upset him. I was going to leave by the help of his driver when everything become chaotic that very instant. Grandpa collapsed to the ground and that incidence shocked me. He was rushed to the emergency and has been confirmed to be having a heart attack together with a minor .

I could not stop weeping ever since then. He would probably in a good shape till now if I had not made that immature act. It was my fault. Kim and P’Pei convinced me that they could take care of Grandpa. I should return to the school and serve my duty as a teacher. My heart was not in peace. The guilt sprouted deep inside my soul and would never stop growing as long as I could not see Grandpa become better again.

“Still thinking about your Grandpa?” His voice was soothing and became my only comfort at the moment. I did not realise how long I had zoned out to nowhere I was not aware. My mind was a mess place and my focus disrupted lately.

“Hmm…”

“How about we visit him later?” He suggested. My eyes found him as I tried to decipher the thing he had been telling me. He looked sincere and firm for that kind of decision. It somehow invited the feeling of

I shook my head immediately. “He’s not here anymore. They had transferred him back to the city.” I told him. I would not manage to know every of the information if it was not because of Kimhan. Frankly, she mesmerized me. After all the cold shoulder and all bad treats from me, she never failed to keep me updated about Grandpa’s condition. Even the process of transferring Grandpa back to the city was also done by her.

“It should be fine. I can drive you there. I can do anything for you, Pie.” He insisted.

There was something he was not aware yet or perhaps it was too oblivious for him to grasp it. “I don’t think he wishes to see you.” I ran my gaze away from him, feeling hurtful enough to realise that my relationship with him was one Grandpa did not favour at all.

P’Van let out a heavy sigh, conveying how much it disturbed him too. It was funny how everything related to me would eventually end up in disaster. People disgraced my marriage with Kimhan and looked at what had happened between me and P’Van – my family despised us.

“I’ll cook you something. You are surely starving as much as I do.” He was just too good at drawing my attention away from a problem.

It has become a routine for me to spend the whole evening at his place after school. We would have our meal together and make a useful of time to be together in privacy before I returned to the place I had been staying with my female colleagues. It was difficult for Hongyok and Nann to adapt at first but I guessed they were used to it by now. They got their private time together too. Kimhan was right about them; Nann and Hongyok were madly in love with each other even if they did not openly disclose themselves. I learned about that some time ago. What should I say?

 

~.~.~.~

“Have some more, Pie. You haven’t eaten well these days.” He sounded concern. Day by day I adored so many things about this man. He was every inch of gentleman every woman would die to fight for. He was very kind, loving and most importantly he treasured me as who I am. He respected my career and always maintained his professionalism. We only become a lovely dove when we spend the time privately together. Otherwise, he would always be the Headmaster and I was his subordinate.

“You are a good cook just like Kimhan.” The comment slipped out from my mind carelessly that I was not even aware what I had been saying at first. P’Van stared at me long enough as if something had upset him.

“You’re talking about Kimhan.” He sighed playing offended.

“I…”

The moment was interrupted by loud knock on the door. We exchanged look and I realised it was my chance to at least relieve the tense between us.

“I’ll go and see who is coming.” I excused myself.

We did not expect guest and we rarely receive any. Could it be Nann and Hongyok? Or it could be somebody else? The knock on the door was getting louder and harder. Whoever the person on the other side of the barrier was surely impatient. I quickened my steps, reaching the door knob and twisted it to unlock.

Stood right in front of me was a lady of about her early thirty together with a little girl by her side. Rested on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter