The Headmaster

She's The Bridegroom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Pie Mindara Manaying

It felt odd to attend a morning formal assembly where you could actually observe every face of the students and realise that they were the whole population which made up the school. I had been standing anywhere near the teachers for minutes by now and trust me, I got the head count of the total students who attended school today within less than a minute. There were only thirty six of them.

The headmaster was delivering his speech and I gave my fullest attention to him. I was waiting for my cue; to the fact that it would be the formal welcome for me. I was going to be introduced to the pupils and certainly all of them had noticed my presence.

The headmaster glanced at me once and I took it as it was the time. It was a second later that I heard him spoke, “Students, I’m sure that you’re aware of somebody’s presence today with us. Now, please welcome your new teacher, Ms. Manaying.”

The pupils gave me a big round applause accompanied by some welcoming noises as I made my way to the spot where the headmaster used to stand. All eyes were on me and I sensed that the nature was also watching. It was not my first time to be in this situation but honestly, I was a bit nervous. Silent fell as soon as I tilted my head to face them. The pupils were gazing at me in awe; something I could not interpret with my logical thinking whether it was sort of admiration or dreadfulness.

It should not be difficult to deliver a speech. I talked to myself.

“Good morning dear students. It feels so good to see all of you today. My name is Mindara Manaying and I’ll be teaching you from this day and onwards. I was informed that you’ve been anticipating my presence much earlier and I feel so much responsible to apologize to all for not being able to join you sooner. I do hope that I get the fullest cooperation from you. Thank you.”

That was the shortest speech ever.

“You’re doing great,” Hongyok whispered to me as soon as I reached her side. The perplexing look of my face must have triggered her concern. She began to speak again, “You know, sometimes the smaller the group of the audience, the anxious you get.” She was right about that. I managed a small smile and the thing passed just like that. Soon enough, it was time for the children to go their respective classes.

I was assigned to monitor a class in which either Nann or Hongyok had to take care of for quite some time before my arrival. A small class was not a big deal. I used to handle more than one class back in the city. One benefit discovered today; less workload, better performance.

*******

I checked on the name list for attendance and it came to my attention that I only had ten pupils in my class. This would be easier than anything I thought – just imagine a small tutorial group with a fewer numbers of students in it. In a fleeting moment, I felt eyes on me; knowing that the children were staring ever since the second I entered the class.

I had not spoken a word; just not yet.

When I brushed my gaze on them, I caught a glimpse of excitement in their eye perhaps enchanted by my beauty.

“She’s beautiful…” I heard a girl spoke in almost inaudible voice followed by soft whispering from the rest of the class.

“Well hello everybody.” I watched them straightened themselves and began to pay attention to me.

“I’ll be teaching you…”

“Everybody knows that.” I could not even finish my sentences when a girly voice cut me all of sudden. Then, every head abruptly snapped to the direction where the voice was coming. Seated at the last row of the classroom, a petite little girl looking somewhat irritated yet emotionless rose up to her feet and gained everybody’s attention once again.

“Perhaps you wish to introduce yourself to us? Or exactly to me?” I told her. She took it calmly and smirked a little. My instinct ticked at the first impression I got from her vibe – a trouble maker.

“My na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter