CHAPTER 13: Take Me Back, Beauty

If Only They Have Given Him The Photo Earlier
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Jinyoung watches Jaebum leave again, for the second time, for a different reason, but at the same spot. Jinyoung watches the car drives farther and farther away from him until he can't see it anymore. He stays on the same spot and cries like he did over ten years ago. He stays there and let his tears fall, lets everything finally fall into place.

 

"At least you get to say goodbye this time." Jinyoung says to himself, wiping his tears. Then with one last look, he turns around and walks towards the orphanage, smiling bitterly to Jaehyung who was sitting on the swing, looking at him sadly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Earlier when Aunt Yejin called Nichkhun, Jinyoung also excused himself and called Jackson. "Jinyoung, I'm sorry." were Jackson’s first words, he could tell that he has just woken up, his voice's still groggy from sleep, but he could sense the urgency. "Yeah, you should be." Jinyoung says jokingly, which earned an awkward laugh from the other line. "I mean it, Jinyoung. I'm really sorry for being an to you these past few days."

 

"Weeks." Jinyoung corrects him, but there is a playful tone in his voice. "Weeks, Jackson. You were mean to me for weeks." Jinyoung laughs when he hears Jackson whines on the other line, "I know. I'm sorry." Jackson speaks, again. "I know you haven't forgiven me totally yet, so I'm gonna personally apologize later."

 

"Sure." Jinyoung replies, sighing before the long awkward pause between them. He hears Jackson coughs over the line. He though their fight started before Jinyoung could even tell him about Jaebum. “Jackson, do you remember my Dream Knight?” he asks Jackson, though, of course, he knows Jackson remembers him. “Jackson, I,” he starts and his voice starts shaking too, remembering what happened the night before. “Jackson, I finally found him.” He says, voice cracking, lips trembling, tears falling. “Jin- Where? Who? What is his name?” Jackson asks, wanting to tell him that he already knows, but he doesn't know how to comfort his friend over the phone.

 

“He’s–” Jinyoung says as he coughs, clearing his throat. “He’s Im Jaebum.” “But he keeps on taking you out lately.” Jackson says, puzzled, because he thinks, Jinyoung should be happy. With the frequency of them going out, it could almost say that they were dating. Almost. “You’re coming here later, right?” Jinyoung says, avoiding Jackson’s question. “I’ll just tell you later.” Jinyoung tries to hold his tears back and stop himself from crying.

 

At least, Jackson and he are somewhat okay now, "Okay, now stop crying. I will also tell you something later." Jackson says, and asks Jinyoung to stop crying because he doesn’t know how to comfort him now that they’re far from each other. Jinyoung stops after Jackson threatens him that he’s gonna cry too, but he could tell that his friend is already tearing up.

 

Jinyoung ends the call after hearing a particular guy’s voice. Jinyoung thinks he’s getting a clue of what is Jackson gonna tell him later. He dries his tears as he hears soft pads of feet coming close to his door. He doesn’t want the kids to see him crying because they’ll ask and it’s gonna be a whole lot trouble to explain to them. But it’s late as he sees Jaehyung peeping through the door, his spectacles barely covering the curiosity in his eyes.

 

"Come here Jaehyung." Jinyoung beckons the peeking kid and pats on the space on his bed beside him. "You are crying again." Jaehyung says as he approaches Jinyoung. "I heard you, don't lie." Jinyoung laughs a little, the kid talks like he's already an adult. He wants to tell him not to rush growing up because it'll hurt. Growing up will hurt him a lot.

 

"Why are you crying?" the kid asks, sitting beside Jinyoung, tilting his head towards him. "Are you hurting somewhere?" he asks again, placing his small hand over Jinyoung's and carefully taking it in his. "Yes." Jinyoung replies, quietly. "Where?" Jaehyung asks, almost breaking his neck by looking back abruptly at Jinyoung.

 

Jinyoung uses his other hand and points towards his chest, above where his heart is. "Here." he answers the kid who gave him a very cute pout. "Why is it hurting?" Jinyoung then pats the kid's head and brushes his hair, the kid left his room without combing. "I don't know, I guess it happens when you love someone." Jinyoung says and the kid's expression changes.

 

"Isn't love supposed to make you happy?" Jaehyung asks, referring to what Aunt Yejin told him. "Sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't." "When is love not supposed to make you happy then?" Jaehyung asks another question, completely engage with the topic. "When the situation is not right, when the time is not right, when it is not meant to be."

 

Jaehyung nods at him, seeming like he really understands what Jinyoung is telling him. Taking in everything his little, but very active mind, can. "Is it Jaebum?" Jaehyung asks and Jinyoung's eyes widen, "How did you know? I mean, why do you think it's him?" Jinyoung asks and he couldn't believe he just stuttered with a kid's question.

 

"You kept texting and calling him the past few days." Jaehyung huffs, "He's clearly stealing you from me, but he keeps on hurting you." Jaehyung glares at Jinyoung, "If I see him, I'm gonna hurt him too." "Jaehyung! That's not nice!" Jinyoung says appalled with the kid's words. "

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jackson and Mark arrive at Busan around five in the afternoon. Jackson excitedly pulls Mark off the car and towards the orphanage. "Mark hyung, this is the place where I grew up." Jackson says, the playground is empty, which means all the kids are now inside, washing up. "Let's go inside?" he says and pulls Mark inside, pulling him to another foreign place with a homey feel.

 

"Jackson!" when Jackson turns to that direction, he sees Aunt Yejin, the sleeves of her pullover were folded up to her elbows. "Catch him!" She says as a small spectacled boy passes by in front of him, "You little brat!" Jackson says, laughing running after the shouting boy. "Nooooo! I don't want to take a bath!" says the kid Jackson after finally catching him.

 

"You stink!" Jackson says, nosing the kid's armpits, "Ew, you stink!" The kid laughs in his arms, thrashing and shouting. One of the caretakers takes Jaehyung in Jackson's arms after realizing Jackson has someone with him. "Auntie." Jackson says as he approached the beautiful woman. "I missed you." he tells her and she gives her a brief squeeze, then she hits his back softly.

 

"You brat! Have you and Jinyoung talk to each other yet?" she says, scowling at Jackson, and then he sees Mark behind him. "Hello?" she says, suddenly smiling sweetly. "Hello, Ms. Yejin, I'm Mark, Jackson has told me a lot about you." Mark says extending his hand to her; she eyes him before taking his hand.

 

"Auntie, he's my boyfriend." Jackson says, "I knew it!" she suddenly says, surprising Mark and Jackson. "How about you help me with dinner, Mark?" she says, making it more like an order than a request. "And, Jackson, go pick Jinyoung up from the shore, he has been sitting there ever since lunch." Mark then glances at Jackson, giving him a nod and a smile. "Apologize properly and please say hi for me." He said before Jackson goes running towards where his friend is.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jackson sees him under the shade of the coconut tree, "Hey." he says, sitting beside his friend. Jinyoung turns to him, eyes red and puffy, and immediately pulls him for a tight hug. "I know this is going to be long, but let me apologize first." Jackson says, rubbing Jinyoung's back. "First and foremost, I love you, Jinyoung. You are more than a best friend to me, you are my brother from," Jackson pulls away and stares at Jinyoung's eyes. "I can't say another mother or father because we're both, you know, orphans."

 

Jinyoung laughs a little at it, but his face is still contorted as he listens to Jackson. "Maybe from Aunt Yejin, brothers from Aunt Yejin." Jackson says in deep thought, and then he closes his eyes for a second and says, "That's not the point. What I'm saying is that you are very important to me." then he cups Jinyoung's face, looking into his eyes.

 

"The time I was drunk and I told you I hate you, it was because I was stupid and it has nothing to do with you. Sure, when we were younger I had the thought that I was always second best because you're there and you are the best. I can never beat you back then; I was just in your shadows-"

 

"But I honestly think that you're way better than me, you're funny and you can make everyone happy. You are the best, not me." Jinyoung cuts him off and Jackson goes all gooey. "Aaaawww" he says clutching to his heart and they stare at each other for seconds, totally enjoy the revelation.

 

"But I honestly stopped caring when we got older, I mean, so what if you're smarter than me? You are my friend, my best friend, I should be happy for you. It came back when," Jackson breathes in deep and smiles a little, "When we met Mark." Jinyoung smiles at him, he knew it. He knew Jackson likes Mark, but he didn't know it was this deep.

 

"I was jealous because I really like Mark and I just can't accept to be the second best again, not with him." Jackson sighs, looking at the setting sun in front of them. "I'm sorry Jinyoung." Jackson looks back at Jinyoung, taking his hand, "We're still best friends right?" he asks, though he really doesn't have to.

 

"Of course." Jinyoung squeezes his hand back. "Enough about me, what happened to you and Jaebum?" Jackson asks, leaning closer to Jinyoung. So Jinyoung tells him what he told Aunt Yejin, he tells him what Jaebum told him, he tells him about how Jaebum felt betrayed and hurt, and he tells him about how he too, feels the same way. He told him that unfair it was for him, but he cannot bring himself to hate Jaebum, not a tiny bit.

 

"What an !" Jackson shouts angrily after hearing what happened between his best friend and Jaebum. "Do want me to beat him up? I'm pretty sure I can give him a good fight." Jackson says like he has decided about it already. "No, we've talked to each other already." Jinyoung says gingerly. "And we decided to forget what happened to us, everything of it, instead."

 

Jackson, albeit angry towards Jaebum, deflates hearing about their decision. He has been with Jinyoung almost all his life and he has witnessed how much his friend loves Jaebum. He would be a fool or a liar if he were to say that it wasn't the strongest love he has ever known. "Are you sure?" he asks his friend, he was partly expecting Jinyoung to shake his head, but instead he received a tight-lipped smile and a soft nod.

 

"But, Jinyoung. You love him." Jinyoung says warily. "I do, I mean I did. What if I was just too stubborn holding on to his memory, what if I was just in love with his memory and not-"

 

"Don't give me that , Jinyoung. If you don't love the present him, you wouldn't be like this. You love him, Jinyoung. You have loved him for more than a decade, even though you didn't see him, you continue loving him. And I highly doubt that you did not learn how to love the present him. You spent almost all your life pining for him, now that you finally found him again, is this how going to be?" Jinyoung stares at him wide eyed, tears making up their ways to his eyes again. Everything Jackson has told him is true, very true.

 

"Don't you think that's very counterproductive? Or anticlimactic?" Jackson speaks again. "I don't know, Jackson, I don't know." Jinyoung replies, sniffling and wiping his tears. Jackson then pulls him, hugging him softly. "I'm sorry, it's still your decision, I’m not the one hurting, I’m sorry, but do you want to back to Seoul?" Jinyoung stares at Jackson’s eyes and the latter feels the chills run down at on his spine. He doesn’t want to hear Jinyoung’s answer; he knows he will not like it.

 

"It's better for me to stay here." Jinyoung replies, nodding to himself. Jackson knew it; he sighs then ask him again. "Is that your final decision?" Jinyoung nods, Jackson stands up and dusts off his . "Okay, I'm with Mark; I left him with Aunt Yejin at the orphanage. Let's go back?" Jackson reaches his hand to Jinyoung, but the latter didn't take it and shakes his head. "Tell him I said hi, but I want to stay here longer."

 

"Oh, yeah, he told me to say hi to you too." Jackson replies as he nods at Jinyoung. He leaned down and captured his best friend for their la long hug and a comforting back rub. He did not bother insisting his offer to go back to the orphanage together. He's leaving Jinyoung a time for himself, a time to change his decision. He knows his best friend needs it, especially now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the next days, Jaebum goes to work lifelessly. He goes without eating breakfast, he stays in the office alone for hours, and he comes home late and sleeps as soon as he ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter