The Plan

Infamous

 

"Three.. two.. one.." Woohyun whispered to himself before he flung himself around the corner and crashed so hard into a girl that he sent them both flying, tumbling in a tangle on the floor. As he rubbed his sore elbow, which had gotten caught in the crossfire, he looked up to see if he had tackled the right girl.

All he could see was hair, and more hair. Did this girl not have a face? But finally it resurfaced from under her wild mane, confirming that she was indeed the intended target. Mission success, he silently gave himself a pat on the back for a job well done. It was all going according to plan. Now for the part he was really good at - acting.

"Oh! Omo omo! Aigoo-ya, I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going. I'm such a babo." he chuckled lightly, helping the girl off the floor. "Are you hurt?" he laced his voice with a healthy dose of sweet concern.

"Oh, no, no, l don't think so.. how about yu.." she froze mid-sentence the moment their eyes met, incoherent nervous babble the only thing making its way out of after that. She recognized him, there was no doubt about that. She was shaking, clearly not in control of her own body. See, that was how normal people reacted when he was around. Flustered, nervous, excited, thinking they had hit the jackpot getting a face to face with a member of the Korean royalty. Of course Korea didn't have royalty anymore, but he was the closest thing they had, really. Why did he have a crush on the only guy in the entire country that didn't care? Even his girlfriend cared, for Pete's sake, why didn't he?

"Are you sure you don't have to go to the hospital, just to make sure?" he asked, both to be polite, but mostly to cut the incessant stream of babble. A burst of giggles attacked him from all directions, she could only wave her hand to indicate that there was no need, that she was really okay. He couldn't help but chuckle at her now nearly purple face. She was cute, he couldn't deny that.

"So what's your name?" he asked when she had calmed down a bit.

"Oh, I'm Eunji, it's so nice to meet you" she said shyly after taking a couple of breaths to steady herself.

"I would ask you yours, but I already know who you are, Nam Woohyun!! My favorite actor, by the way." she half hid her face while confessing that last part, breaking eye-contact.

"Yeah, I figured. That you recognized me that is, the other part is just good taste." he laughed charmingly, sending her a hint of a wink. This was not his first rodeo, he could charm the pants off any girl in his sleep, though in this case he very much wanted the pants to stay on.

"So I feel really bad about this whole thing, I have to make it up to you. It wouldn't feel right otherwise. That's just who I am. How about letting me buy you lunch? Do you have a half an hour to spare?". He already knew the answer, it was no coincidence he was here just at the moment when she usually left for lunch. It had been the perfect opportunity, and he had seized it. Carpe diem wasn't just a phrase, it was a lifestyle.

“Oh, you don't.. you don't have to, you know, I'm fine.” she grinned, a fierce battle going on inside her head, whether to be polite or to realize her lifelong dream.

“I know I don't have to, but I need to, for me, for my own peace of mind, so would you help me attain inner peace please?” he said in the softest voice possible. He could see her melting on the spot, a puddle of goo forming where her feet once stood.

“Well, I am a er for people in need.” she snorted, a dorky giggle following once she realized she had actually said it out loud. Ah, she was not only beautiful, but funny too. He was starting to like her against his will. She was the enemy, he reminded himself, but he didn't seem to care. He could see what Sungkyu saw in her. And he could definitely see what she saw in Sungkyu. They actually made sense as a couple, she was open and friendly while he was stubborn and strangely charming. He almost felt guilty over what he was about to do, but not guilty enough to abort the mission. If they were really meant to be, they would survive this little test of his.

 

“You are so funny!” she laughed and laughed, her eyes two smiling half-moons. They were half way through lunch and he had used some of his best material to keep her entertained.

“So.. I don't know if I'm stepping over some invisible line here.. but I don't know, you are just such a bright, funny girl, and pretty too!” he suddenly realized that she could misunderstand, adding “Oh, eh, don't worry, I'm not hitting on you or anything like that.”. He grinned awkwardly.

“No worries, I know.” she gave him a wink like she knew some kind of a secret to which only the two of them were privy.

“You... know?” he asked, not able to hide his surprise, having no idea what she was going on about.

“Yeah.. I know know. Don't worry, I'm on your side.” she smiled. When his surprised face didn't fade, she continued “You know what I mean.. I know that the color of your team's uniform is rainbow.”. She smiled encouragingly to him. Ah.

“I'm right aren't I??” she asked eagerly, sparks of curiosity flying out of her eyes. He wasn't sure how to react, so he just nodded slightly.

“I knew it!!” she exclaimed proudly.

“Ah, why are all the best guys always gay?” she asked the air with a hint of melancholy coloring her voice. “So wait, what were you going to ask me?” she added absent mindedly, not having decided whether she should be happy about having guessed right or sad that he was out of her reach.

“Oh, right, uhm, so I have this friend, to whom I lost a bet recently. So I owe him a date with a beautiful girl. The thing is, I kind of lost on purpose, because I wanted the chance to find him a nice girl for once, his taste is really not the best. He's this amazing guy, yet he hasn't had the best luck when it comes to women, you know. So I don't know.. I just thought.. maybe... I mean, we are having so much fun.. so I just thought of it.. but it might be too forward of me..” he pretended to be conflicted and embarrassed.

“Wait, you mean me?!?” she was shocked, but he could see she was flattered and intrigued as well. He was almost disappointed that she hadn't already shot him down, telling him how awesome her boyfriend was and that she could never betray him.

“Well, I don't know.. ” she whispered in a tiny voice, her cheeks flushed. She looked like she was about to turn him down.

“Oh, I have a picture if that helps...” he had to be quick, before the window of opportunity would close as she realized she wasn't a free agent, that she had too good of a thing with Sungkyu to risk it. Like the wind, he googled a good picture of Myungsoo and showed her. She let out a high pitched yelp.

“This is.. this is... is this really...?” her voice trembled, so did her hands.

“Oh, so you've heard of Myungsoo? He's my hoobae at my company, and a very good friend of mine.” he lied, just a little bit.

“Have I ever! Let me get this straight, you're asking if I'd consider going on a date with Myungsoo? Kim Myungsoo? Only the hottest actor to debut in I don't know how long, ever maybe!!!” she asked incredulously, her eyes about to pop out of her head. She was even more starstruck at the mention of Myungsoo than she was at meeting him, he couldn't help feeling a little bit resentful. He nodded eagerly, putting up a convincing smile.

“Okay! Not like I'm going to say no to that!” she giggled nervously, resisting biting her nails. She looked a bit guilty, her eyes shifty, her hands fiddling with her phone, checking it every two seconds. She should feel guilty, she should bathe in guilt until her fingers got all pruney. All it took was to wave a famous pretty boy in her face and she forgot Sungkyu even existed. She didn't deserve him. Poor Sungkyu. At least he had him to console him, that was something.

 

After escorting her back to her work, he took out his phone with a heavy heart. He had been right, there was no such thing as true love. If the carrot was big enough, there was no one that could resist taking a little bite of it.

“Myungsoo-ya, I have a reservation at that new spicy place everyone's talking about, meet me there at 8 PM tonight.” he said and hung up the phone, not giving Myungsoo a chance to say no. It was all laid out.