Cohabitation

Infamous

 

“Are you sure?” Woohyun bit his lip to try and contain his disappointment. Dongwoo slowly nodded, the word 'sorry' written all over his face. This was much worse than he had anticipated. According to Dongwoo's light reconnaissance, Sungkyu and Eunji weren't just a couple, they lived together. His heart sank as he stared at a picture of their postbox, their names written awfully close to one another. That was a whole other level of commitment. Myungsoo had better have put on his best performance yesterday, for it would take his A-game to split those two apart. He had a bad feeling about this, but he tucked it under a rug, ignoring it.

 

“Girl, come over here already!!” Woohyun waved Eunji over to their table. He had invited her to lunch to hear all the gory details first hand. He was so excited and nervous he could feel his skin vibrate. Everything was riding on this.

“So sorry I'm late, my boss...” Eunji started explaining, but he cut her off before she started some boring office story that would never end, that was not the story he was itching to hear, the anticipation having kept him up half the night.

“So, so, so... spill! How was it?” he grinned, unable to hide the intensity of his curiosity, making her giggle.

“Ehm...” she hesitated, like she was trying to find a way to sugarcoat her thoughts.

“Don't tell me you didn't like the second best, the second most dashing actor in the whole of Korea? How high are your standards, girl!?” he interrupted, shocked. Still, he couldn't ignore the vague pang of satisfaction over the fact that she liked him more than Myungsoo.

She instantly turned red, exploding into a fit of giggles, waving her hand to and fro for she was temporarily unable to speak.

“No, no, no, it's not that, of course not!” she objected when she finally got her voice back, still waving her hand around frantically. “It was more like... I got the feeling that he didn't want to be there... don't take this the wrong way, he was the perfect gentleman the entire night, though perhaps a bit awkward... but it seemed as if he had been expecting you to show up, and when you didn't, he was a bit disappointed, if you know what I mean.” she cautiously explained.

When he didn't say anything, having no clue what to say, she leaned in closer and whispered “I think he has a crush on you.”. She sent him a little wink before putting up a dramatic pout, crossing her arms in a fake huff. “Why are all the best guys gay?!” she complained. “Not just you and Myungsoo, mind you. My roommate, who is also my best friend in the whole wide world, is also gay. Maybe it's me... like, I might be some kind of a gay-magnet? Or maybe I have the power to turn guys gay?” she wondered, a crease forming on her forehead.

“Oh, babe, please, I was so very, very gay long before I ever met you.” he snorted, but abruptly stopped mid-snort, realizing what she had just said. Her roommate. Her roommate was gay! And, unless she had more than one, that roommate was Sungkyu! Then he remembered that there had only been two names on the mailbox. It was Sungkyu. Sungkyu was gay. His heart was beating so fast that he started to worry that it would actually manage to escape his chest.

“So, ehm, your roommate.. is he seeing someone?” he asked anxiously, trying to be all smooth and covert.

“Aww, honey, you are not his type.” she gave him a sympathetic smile, seeing right through him.

“I'm everyone's type!” he objected a little too forcefully.

“Everyone's but his I'm afraid, he's not really much for showy things and the fact that you're famous is a huge minus, I don't think that life would suit him, to be honest.” she explained with the gentleness of someone trying to let somebody off easy. His heart dropped to the bottom of his gut, he was attempting to use tape to stick it back in its place but it wasn't working.

“Besides, you don't need to be set up, I mean, you can have anyone you want! Trust me, even though I adore him, he's really not all that amazing. He's a total pain in the .” she giggled, obviously head over heals over Sungkyu even though she was trying to put him down, that part was just for his benefit, she didn't really mean it.

“That is exactly what I was hoping he would be... a pain in my .” he joked, feeling oh so clever. And he got the anticipated reaction, rejoicing in the laughter that erupted not a second after he had let go of the last word. She hid her reddening face in a napkin, tears sprouting at the corners of her eyes.

“I'm telling you, you have a very real shot with Myungsoo, he's all googly eyed over you so it wouldn't take much to add him to your special fan club.” she winked at him, deliberately changing the subject.

 

Woohyun took a deep breath. He was not ready to give up on him yet. There was something there, he could feel it. He couldn't believe he was the only one who felt it. He owed it to himself to at least give it one more shot. Dongwoo held the door open so he could get all the balloons inside, and there were a lot. A bundle of balloons got stuck in a huddle, refusing to pass through the doorway. He pulled a bit harder and with an uncomfortable screeching sound they forced themselves through.

He felt like he was making history, it was one of those grand gestures like in the romantic comedies. He wanted to show him that he wasn't afraid to be seen with him in public, that he wouldn't treat him like some dirty little secret, if that was what he was worried about.

The moment he entered, the coffee shop turned into utter chaos. Girls squealing, camera flashes from every direction, everyone frantically looking around, trying to find the owner of the balloons, secretly hoping it was them. He stood up on his toes, catching Sungkyu's furtive eyes before they, along with their owner, ducked down behind the counter, disappearing from view. He wanted to go after him, but he was stuck in the middle of a sea of cameras and phones. He looked around for Dongwoo to come rescue him, and that he did, helping him to double back out the door.

So that failed miserably.

 

Woohyun was about to get into the car when he stopped. No, this wasn't the end of this scene. He had been in enough movies to know that. He reached inside for his cap, putting it on his head and pulling the peak down so that it covered the upper half of his face. He was going undercover. He snuck inside unnoticed, this wasn't his first time. He often joked that he was getting good enough to become a bonafide spy.

“Hey, you know you're not supposed to be back here.” Hoya complained. He shrugged, putting his hands together into the pleading position as he nodded in the direction of the office. Hoya nodded back, giving him the go-ahead.

 

The office door creaked ominously as he opened it slowly. He could barely breathe, there were so many knots tying up his insides, preventing them from functioning properly. The moment Sungkyu noticed him, he jumped up from the chair in which he had been sitting.

“What are you doing here?” Sungkyu's voice wavered a bit.

“Oh, you know what I'm doing here.” he answered as he advanced towards Sungkyu, backing him up against the back wall of the office, getting so close that their chests touched. The atmosphere was electric, shocking each and every one of his cells. Sungkyu's eyes opened as far as they would go, looking right into his. For a brief moment, they just stood there, looking into each other's eyes.

“You know, your heart is beating awfully fast considering you have no interest in me.” he smirked.

“Eh, there's a crazy stalker attacking me, of course my heart is beating fast!!” Sungkyu snapped, finding his attitude after having lost his composure for a moment there.

“Mhm, sure. I'm not giving up that easily, you know. You can bark all you want, I'm still going to pursue you until you agree to go out with me. One date, that's all I'm asking. And trust me, my over the top, dramatic and theatrical pursuit will be so much more annoying than sitting through one tiny little date with me.” he tried to convince him, all the while staring right into his eyes, not breaking eye-contact even though it felt like his insides were exploding.

“Okay.” Sungkyu whispered, maintaining eye-contact even though he looked like he was really uncomfortable.

“Okay?” he repeated, not believing his ears. It really worked?

“Okay.” Sungkyu whispered again, this time breaking eye-contact, his eyes eagerly finding a spot on the floor to stare at.

“Okay okay?” he reconfirmed, just to be sure.

Sungkyu's eyes found him again. “Yeah... a tiny little date... with one condition... I pick the location.” he stated firmly. Even though he looked like a bit of a wuss, there was nothing wussy about his personality. He was one stubborn little cutiepie.

“Okay, okay, a small date, but it's still a date, right?” Woohyun wanted to cover all his bases.

“Yeah..” he said resigned.

Woohyun couldn't believe it. He had said yes! He got the urge to jump up and down in celebration, but he resisted it. He suddenly realized how close he really was to Sungkyu, feeling his chest expand at his every breath. He took a step back, worried that he wouldn't be able to resist kissing him. He smelled so good, he felt so good, but he didn't want to risk it. He had gotten a yes, that was enough for now. More than enough.

 

“Man, there are already thousands of blogs and tweets about who the mystery girl is that was supposed to receive the balloon-bouquet! A scandal is so not what we need right now.” Dongwoo started complaining the moment he got into the car, but Woohyun didn't care. He had a permanent smile glued to his lips, his entire being floating in the air, his behind barely touching the car seat. Today was a good day. It was the best day.