Change

Infamous

 

“Excuse me, I'm kind of pressed for time, do you mind if I go before you?” Woohyun asked the girl standing ahead of him in line, sending her a cute eyesmile, working the aegyo. She started giggling uncontrollably. Not able to utter a single syllable, she nodded shyly. He winked at her as a 'thank you', the giggle fit swallowing her whole.

Using the same tactic, he managed to cut to the head of the line. There were actually two lines, and the other one was much shorter, but there was a reason for that. The barista handling this particular line was no ordinary barista. He was the worst barista in the history of mankind, producing something that was far worse than sewage, the only thing that was for sure was that it definitely couldn't be called coffee. Yet his line was the longer one, by far. The obvious conclusion to be drawn from that, was that the barista had to be drop dead gorgeous. Not true. He wasn't really what you would call handsome by any normal standards. He was single eyelided, so much so that his eyes were nowhere to be seen, carefully hidden behind his courteous eyesmile. But they had mastered the element of surprise, so that when you eventually did see them, it made you feel like you had seen something precious, something to which everyone was not privy.

He was cute, there was no denying that, but he had 'the boy next door' look. He was nice on the eyes, but didn't have that 'I have to have you and if I don't have you right now I might regret it for the rest of my life' unique handsomeness. He was ordinary. And somehow he managed to use that to his advantage. Seeing how ordinary he was, people would keep their guard down, not realizing that behind that slightly above average face was a dangerous charm that pulled you in without you noticing anything until it was too late.

 

The line consisted of girls only, girls and him. This was Woohyun's third time here. The first time he had been in dire need of coffee, just finishing a late night shoot, cold and exhausted. This place, Star Coffee, was placed smack in the middle of the entertainment business district, open 24 hours to cater to the myriad of staff that was forced to work at all hours of the night to meet their rigid deadlines. Television waited for no man, it was either to produce a decent show in time for the scheduled broadcast or go home and never return.

Fortunately, he was always on the sunny side of the camera, blessed with the power to let his light shine to brighten up the brutally boring mundane world in which most people were stuck. But that didn't change the fact that when the deadline was fast approaching, the nights were milked for time, banishing anything that had to do with sleep. Sleepless and distracted, he had fallen right into the barista's trap. He didn't blame him for trapping him, it wasn't every day that one got to serve a straight up superstar, so it was only logical that he would make a pass at him. Except he had been too smart to come right out and say it, he hadn't even mentioned that he knew who he was, nor had he asked for an autograph. He had just kept his poker face straight, served him an abomination in a cup and smiled sweetly, pretending to turn his attention right away to the next customer, compelling him to come back for another taste of his god-awful coffee. The second time, the exact same thing happened. He had a working theory that he might actually be an exceptional barista, and only served him such bad coffee to get his attention. It made sense, since who would hire a barista with no coffee making skills?

 

Having dated just about every type of pretty boy under the sun, Woohyun was in the mood for something new. It was no secret that he was gifted in the looks department, so his days consisted of fighting through a crowd of girls and guys alike, who were desperate for a tiny glimpse of him. He couldn't blame them. It wasn't their fault that he was so irresistible. And it wasn't only hard on them, it was hard on him too. How was he supposed to be faithful in a relationship, when every day a new opportunity presented itself? That was how he got so skilled at maintaining multiple relationships at a time, he discovered that he was a natural at it, born to spread the love around. People only saw what they wanted to see, and what they wanted to see was him. He was sure most of his past conquests would opt for an open relationship with him if given the chance, not wanting to miss out on the experience of a lifetime. He, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. His partners were the ones that hit the jackpot, not him. It was sometimes hard to always be the prettiest guy in the room. There was no way to aim but down. And because of that, he usually got bored fairly quickly, moving on to the next one, and the next.

 

After finishing the order for the girl in front of him, the barista turned to him, flashing his 'welcome' smile. It looked a bit forced this time. Having to feign disinterest was clearly taking its toll on him. Poor guy. Woohyun's gut fluttered a bit as he got ready to charm the socks off him. He couldn't remember the last time he had gotten that butterfly-feeling. It was time to take this back-and-forth silent flirting to the audible level.

“Sungkyu-ya, give me the usual.” he said, leaning in with a smirk, sending him one of his million dollar winks.

“And that is...?” Sungkyu asked like he had no clue what that was, even though he had served him the same exact order two times already. It never took more than once to etch all his preferences into people's memories, so he was definitely bluffing. The slight hint of irritation in his voice backed up his theory, Sungkyu was hopelessly trying to mask his affection for him. A part of him wanted him to stop the theatrics and just come right out and say how happy he was that he got to be the one to serve him coffee, but this passive aggressive way of flirting was refreshing, it was making him more excited than he had gotten in months. Though so far it was more in the passive passive department.

 

Sungkyu haphazardly slammed the coffee cup on the counter, so that even though the cup had a lid on it, it still spilled. He usually paid with a card, but this time he had amazed even himself with his genius. He had brought cash, so that he would have to place it directly onto Sungkyu's palm, creating an opportunity for skinship. And just as suspected, when Sungkyu saw that he was paying with cash, he held out his hand. Woohyun had practiced this several times with his manager before coming in, so that he could make the most of the limited contact that this exchange offered.

He took a deep breath to steady his nerves, careful not to show any signs of nervousness. He had done his own stunts in movies, he had participated in the most ludicrous of variety shows, he could do this. His heart lost its rhythm, frantically searching for it while stretching out his hand. He could feel cold pearls of sweat forming on his forehead, he silently scolded it for being so ridiculous. He was just handing this random guy a 10.000 won bill, it was no big deal. As he placed it gently on top of Sungkyu's palm, his thumb oh so softly brushed the length of the edge of Sungkyu's index finger, sending a jolt of electricity through his hand and up his arm. He had experienced the bite of static electricity before, but nothing like this. The electric current aided his heart in finding a new and much faster rhythm as it repeatedly punched his ribcage.

He smiled subtly as he established eye contact. As soon as their eyes met, Sungkyu's eyes widened briefly, his pupils peeking out of their hiding place. But then he acted like nothing had happened, fetching his change. He had paid too much on purpose, so that Sungkyu would be forced to hand him back the change. Anxious, he waited while Sungkyu counted, eager to find out whether he would reciprocate his gentle gesture. He did not. Moreover, he was extra careful not to touch him at all, not even by accident. Woohyun's heart sank, but then he realized that if it hadn't affected him in the least, he wouldn't be so carefully avoiding touching him. Hah, he had him in his pocket, he thought to himself as he smirked. He wanted to exchange looks one last time before he left, but Sungkyu had already moved on to the next customer. Oh, he didn't fool him. Not for a second. That cutie had already fallen for him, the only thing left was to get him to admit it.