Samgyeobsal

Infamous

 

Leaving the two lovesick, babbling idiots behind in the car, Woohyun followed Sungkyu into a very narrow side street. For all he knew, he could have been taking him somewhere private to finish him off. If that was the case he didn't stand a chance. He got an ominous ghost of a knot in his gut as they turned into an even narrower street that didn't really seem to have been intended for human use, the walls almost kissing the edges of his shoulders, feeling like they were closing in on him. At the end of the alley was a poorly lit shop, looking as if it had gone out of business at least a decade ago. Sungkyu disappeared through the doors. He looked like a high school student from behind, judging by his boyish strut, and the simple ensemble of jeans and a black hoodie he was wearing. His hair was neatly shaved in the back, so he could clearly see where the hairline ended, getting the urge to touch what he imagined to be the softest skin he had ever come into contact with, wanting to enjoy the stark contrast between his coarse hair and his soft skin.

The place was completely empty, except for this old man who was sitting in the corner. He looked like he had already crossed over to the other side and was only maintaining a very loose connection to this realm. He wondered how this place managed to stay afloat, being hidden from the world like this. Plus, there were only two tables available. Not quite the makings of a fancy meal out. He instinctively held his hands closer to his body, afraid to get tetanus or rabies if he touched anything. His stomach churned at the thought of having to eat here. This would definitely be his last supper, but at least he was eating it with a cute guy.

"Haraboji!" Sungkyu bowed politely after startling the old man into consciousness.

"Aigoo, Sungkyu-ya, you came!" he replied in a warm, hoarse voice, shakily getting to his feet. Woohyun wondered if it was his real grandfather since they seemed to have this unspoken affection for each other.

"Give us the royal treatment today, I brought a very special guest." Sungkyu smiled and winked at the old man who seemed to catch on immediately, giving him a secretive wink back, curiously glancing at Woohyun before he disappeared behind a door in the back.

Woohyun didn't know what to think. A special guest? Had the haraboji recognized him? He doubted it, if he had, he would have been more flustered and eager to please, he knew that from experience. What was so special about him then? He quietly winced as his insides contracted at the thought of being special to Sungkyu, which was stupid really, because he was special to most people, so of course he was to Sungkyu too. It wasn't every day that a plain coffee shop worker got to go out on an actual date with a movie star. This was a total Cinderella moment for Sungkyu and yet he didn't seem overly bothered by it, only slightly shy and awkward.

"Heh.. sit down." Sungkyu pointed to a sturdy looking chair at one of the tables. They were both a bit out of their element, so the silence was threatening to swallow them whole. Woohyun didn't get why he was so off his game tonight, there was something about Sungkyu that was messing with his compass, making it impossible to navigate the waters with the same ease as usual.

“So ehm, how old are you?” Woohyun asked, scratching his head awkwardly, trying to get the conversation flowing. He just needed to get the flirt-vibe going, and then it would be smooth sailing from there on out.

“Older than you.” Sungkyu smirked, reaching for the water bottle and pouring water into Woohyun's cup as well as his.

“How can you be so sure?” he raised his eyebrow in playful defiance.

“I googled you.” Sungkyu shrugged a bit embarrassed, taking a sip of water as a distraction.

“You did!” he laughed, strangely moved that Sungkyu was interested enough to do research. But of course he had googled him, who wouldn't? And naturally he was interested, he was Woohyun, who wouldn't be interested in him!? He was getting more comfortable in his skin, feeling more like himself. Now he had the upper hand and could use it to his advantage.

“Oh get over yourself, I was just making sure you didn't have a criminal record.” Sungkyu crossed his arms, not giving in to Woohyun's power play. That was more like the Sungkyu he knew, as stubborn as an ox. Apparently he too was getting more comfortable, the awkwardness losing its grip on them, loosening its choke hold.

Woohyun was surprised though. Sungkyu was so boyish, he thought he was at least a couple of years younger than he was. He usually didn't go for older guys.

“Okay.... hyung...” he ventured, but it sounded so wrong. Sungkyu's eyes got bigger and he had this peculiar look on his face. The awkwardness came back with a vengeance, but before it could stuff the silence down their throats, Sungkyu burst into laughter. It was just too silly. Woohyun couldn't help but laugh too. And then they laughed harder at the fact that they were both laughing, decompressing the atmosphere. He had such a cute laugh. His eyes disappeared into a sunny eyesmile and his teeth were so bright and happy somehow, Woohyun couldn't but smile back at him. It was a contagious kind of laugh.

 

After having broken the ice, the conversation flowed like a freshwater river through a winding valley. And it turned out that haraboji was some kind of samgyeobsal genius, having won some competitions in the past, his amazingly quick and overly flashy moves making the best samgyeobsal he had ever tasted. Three soju glasses clinked as they happily shouted “Cheers!”, letting the soju light a fire under their conversation, that quickly became heated with excitement. Sungkyu's voice was a joy to listen to, and he had this overly cute way of talking, his mouth making him nuts every time it moved, always in a half-pout, daring him to kiss him.

 

“Okay, I have a good one, you probably won't even believe it!” Woohyun giggled, wrestling Sungkyu for the last piece of meat.

“Oh, I'll believe it... if it's true.” Sungkyu raised his eyebrow mockingly, taking advantage of Woohyun being momentarily distracted to snatch up the meat, which he ate victoriously.

“Man, don't be like that.” he complained, not at all happy about having lost. His story though, that was definitely not going to lose.

“Anyway, get this, so you know I've been in the movie business for a long time now.” he started, the air around them turning a little bit more serious. Sungkyu nodded, his ears stretching out for more. Hah, he was definitely hooked, now he just had to reel him in.

“Back then the mafia still had a few fingers on the pulse of the business, so it was the trick of the trade to be able to avoid the projects in which they were involved. I, of course, prided myself in being a human mafia detector, sniffing them out like a trained narcotics dog.” he bragged, building himself up so Sungkyu would swoon in admiration.

“But there was this one day, one fateful day, where my spider sense was a tad off. I mean, even narcotics dogs get a cold from time to time. I guess I was just distracted. But once you say yes to a project that involves the mafia, you can't really say no, you know.” he explained in a dramatically quiet voice. Sungkyu was hanging on his every word. That poor idiot, he was falling for him and he didn't even realize it. This story never failed to work its wonders.

“So, scared out of my wits, I showed up the first day of shooting determined to show those crazy criminals who was boss, that I would never compromise my artistic sense for some uncivilized brutes that understood nothing but the language of their fists." he took a breath for dramatic effect, downing a shot of soju.

"Not unsurprisingly we couldn't even get through the first take before some middle level guy in a cheap shiny suit showed up on set, halting production to introduce a 'new and improved script'." he quietly chuckled as Sungkyu's eyes shot wide open in surprise and anticipation.

"I did him the courtesy of flipping through it, but it wasn't even the same movie anymore. Too enraged to think about the consequences, I theatrically threw the script on the floor and stepped on it like I was putting out a cigarette. It was only when I caught a glimpse of the guy's eyes that I realized what I had done. Those weren't human eyes, they were the fiery eyes of a callous monster. A monster I had all but spat on. I was not going to get out of this alive." he noticed Sungkyu's expression changing into a cryptic look that was impossible to read. Instead of waiting at the edge of his seat, he leaned back and crossed his arms.

"I could see he was only seconds away from teaching me a lesson once and for all. It was either now or to forever hold my peace. I chose now. Using a spinning high-kick I had learned especially for the movie...".

“'High Kick 3'! Ah, took me a while to place the scene, I knew it sounded familiar!” Sungkyu interjected triumphantly, calling his bluff.

“What! There are like only a handful of people that have seen that movie, including the ones that actually worked on it! How...?” he asked perplexed. He had used this story many times before, but this was the first time he was caught in the act. Sungkyu had the biggest smirk on his face, his lips soundlessly spelling out 'gotcha!'.

“But hey, like.. when I'm acting I have to get into character, you know, so I basically become that person, so everything that happens to that person, also happens to me. So if you look at it like that, I'm totally..." he tried to justify, but then it struck him.

“Wait a minute! Only the most hardcore of my fans know of its existence! It was before I even became famous, most people think 'The Time Prince' was my first movie.. You're a fan!!” he exclaimed, thrilled. Sungkyu coughed, the sip of soju he had just taken going down the wrong way.

"What? No! ..I just.. watch a lot of movies.." Sungkyu's face turned deep red.

"Nah, you're definitely a huge fan." he teased, grinning like an idiot. He couldn't help it, the idea of having Sungkyu as his fan just made him smile.

"Prove it." Sungkyu resisted stubbornly, but Woohyun knew he was right. And the fact that he had seen his first movie often enough to recognize a scene from it made him all warm and fuzzy inside. He didn't really get why, but Sungkyu's opinion mattered to him, more than any other opinion ever had.