Substitute

Infamous

 

The guy sat himself down right next to him, as if he didn't realize that he had just planted his behind right on top of Woohyun's ego, squishing it heartily as he got comfortable in his seat, in Sungkyu's seat. Nursing his bruised ego, Woohyun checked out the imposter. He was really handsome and manly, with an exceptionally sturdy bone structure. Under other circumstances he might even have been intrigued. That only irked him more. He got the feeling he had seen him somewhere before but couldn't for the life of him figure out where. He was not a part of any movie crew of his, of that he was positive. And he was too old to be a rookie. Maybe he was an idol, there were constantly popping out new ones so it was impossible to keep up.

Woohyun wrinkled his eyebrows. No matter how he looked at it, there was one thing that didn't make sense. Whoever it was and wherever he knew him from, there was no way he could have Sungkyu's ticket. Was he one of those pathetic people that bought a cheap ticket way in the back and then lurked around until the show was about to start, swooping in to steal the best of the unclaimed seats? He had to be. Well, he was not going to get away with it, not on his watch.

 

“Excuse me.” he said in the politest tone he could muster, turning towards the imposter with a fake smile wired to his face. He was going to do this the right way, the dignified way.

The guy looked at him with mild disinterest until he noticed who he was, his eyes flying wide open, his face frozen in petrified surprise. He was used to this kind of reaction, it was the standard reaction for anyone lucky enough to find themselves in his vicinity through some magical twist of fate.

“You're in the wrong seat.” he said in what he hoped was a kind, patient voice, while nodding towards the seat number. He wanted to get this over with before the flailing started, for then he wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise.

Mainly, there were two types of people, the inward flailers and the outward flailers. The inward flailers didn't utter a sound, but you could see it in their eyes that their minds were squealing so hard that there had to be an alien radio somewhere in outer space that could pick up their frequency, a quiet night at the home of some prestigious alien family being ripped apart by an unfamiliar earsplitting sound inexplicably pushing its way through their radio. The outward flailers were less discreet, making sure to squeal loudly enough for their voices to echo within his brain for days to come. He personally preferred the outward flailers, they were easier to read and he liked the attention. He liked having the ghosts of that day's compliments swooshing around in his head, keeping him company, reminding him of how loved he was.

There were these two types and then there was Sungkyu. He couldn't quite figure him out, no matter how many circles around the subject his mind did. He was like nobody he had ever come across. He considered himself quite a decent people reader, but Sungkyu was a closed book. A closed book, locked in a safe that was resting on the bottom of the ocean. Not only had he yet to decipher the combination of the safe, but he still hadn't found the right gear that would allow him to dive so deep. It was a challenge that would take all of his skills and talents to overcome, he realized that now. He had underestimated him, a mistake he was not going to repeat in the future. The game was on and he was determined to come out a winner.

The guy in front of him on the other hand, was easy to sum up. A shy outward flailer, so given enough time the flail inside him would burst out and then there would be no containing it.

"I.. I.. don't think so..." the seat-thief stammered, fishing his ticket out of his back pocket, nervously trying to match the numbers.

"See." he held the ticket up right in front of his nose, his hand shaking slightly.

Woohyun's eyes doubled in size. It was Sungkyu's ticket, he knew because he had underlined the time so he would definitely notice it and not be late. He had considered adding a heart or two, but decided against it. He wasn't ready for that level of cheesiness, not yet. But how? How had Sungkyu's ticket ended up in these shaky but neat hands?

He was just about to ask the guy how the ticket had ended up in his possession, when the lights went out and the audience erupted into cheers. The show was starting.

 

"Where did you get the ticket?" he whispered into his ear after ten excruciating minutes of trying to focus on the show while waiting for intermission. He couldn't do it, he had to know now. He could feel the guy stiffen up, probably overwhelmed by the honor of getting to be so close to him. Not everyone could handle it.

"Ahm..a fr..riend.." the mystery guy whispered back.

"Sungkyu?" he immediately asked without a second thought, having a hard time hiding the urgency in his voice.

At the sound of the name, the guy shifted in his seat. "How did you know?!" he asked shocked, as if he half expected him to be psychic.

"How do you know Sungkyu?" he asked, ignoring the guy's question.

"I'm his boss.." the guy grinned, clearly proud of his status. A status he had no doubt abused to pry the ticket out of Sungkyu's poor, helpless hands.

"Ah, so you pulled rank since the seat is so good?" he accused him in a neutral tone, a triumphant smirk hiding behind his polite smile.

"Oh, no no, he was going to throw it away and I couldn't bare the thought of such a treasure ending its life as common trash. It was lucky I passed by when I did, else it would've been too late." the guy shuddered. "I'm a dance aficionado, you see. Sungkyu couldn't care less though, he doesn't appreciate the finer things in life, not like you and me." he sent him a cheesy wink in a failed flirt attempt. He kept talking, but Woohyun didn't hear a single word.

He was going to throw it away? Something shot painfully through his gut, like a red hot spear. He wasn't just not coming, he didn't want to come. Why? He didn't get it, what more did he want? This was the first time in his whole life he was experiencing rejection. Was it a rejection? Had Sungkyu realized what exactly he was rejecting or had he just not wanted to see the show? Was this maybe some weird way to play hard to get?

This was doing his head in, which was his signal to stop the pursuit. He was not going to be some pathetic looser that couldn't take a hint. After all, it was Sungkyu's loss, not his. Sungkyu was the one missing out on a chance of a lifetime, he himself wasn't losing anything except mediocre at best, and that he could get anywhere. He glanced to the side. Sitting on the edge of his seat, his body instinctively mimicking the movements and doing a pretty good job of it, the guy watched the show with an expression of a five year old seeing the Christmas tree light up for the first time. Yes, he would do nicely for just that purpose.