Showtime

Infamous

 

Woohyun bounced happily along the red carpet, waving to the cameras, sending little hearts to the fans that had gathered behind the red ribbon that separated the VIP area from the rest of the world. They had probably waited the whole night to get a good enough spot to catch a glimpse of him, and for that he was grateful. He knew full well that the fans were the ones who got him here, that this was a symbiotic relationship, so he never failed to play his part. He cherished his fans and his fans cherished him. They had the best fan-celebrity relationship of all, and thanks to that, he had quickly joined the ranks of the brightest stars in the sky, trying his hardest to be the one to sparkle the absolute brightest to show his fans what they could accomplish together.

Listening to the squeals on both sides, he flicked his hair dashingly and entered the building, popping briefly out again to send a few winks, setting in motion a wave of emotional screams. This was the life. He felt like a million bucks. Grinning, he looked around the entrance hall. It was packed with all the biggest names in show business, including the newest addition, a young actor who had recently captivated the masses with his stellar movie debut. His new rival.

Determined to smother him with kindness and aegyo, he put up his sweetest smile, guaranteed to melt anyone in a two mile radius. He sent him a friendly wave as he headed over to greet him. He chuckled to himself, his plan was already working. When the rookie actor caught a glimpse of him, his flowery features were hidden behind the most awkward smile ever to be attempted. He had never encountered such a staggering contrast in one person. He was an amazing actor with looks that left no one unfazed, but in person he was just about the biggest and most awkward dork he had ever met.

“Myungsoo-yang!” he greeted him with a cutsie voice, going overboard with the aegyo, causing poor Myungsoo to turn flaming red.

“Heh.. hi..” Myungsoo managed to awkwardly cough as he steered his eyes away from him, not daring to look him in the eyes. To make him even more uncomfortable, Woohyun ran his hand gently down his upper arm, squeezing it a bit. Okay, making him uncomfortable may not have been his only goal by this gesture, he realized as he savored the feeling of Myungsoo's biceps, lying in wait under the delicate fabric of his fancy jacket. For a flower boy he was incredibly manly, so much so that it caught you off guard. Tall and well built, this flower dork had the means to become a superstar.

“Aigooo, my two favorite boy wonders!” a booming voice exclaimed, it was the head of the entertainment company with which he was signed.

“Woohyun-a, great news! I managed to persuade this little rascal to join us, we signed the contract this morning. Now you two are brothers in arms. What a pair! There's nothing we can't do, huh, the world is our oyster! Take good care of your hoobae, will you.” he patted a frozen Woohyun on the back before moving on. Woohyun felt like he had patted a big knife into his back and now it was lodged in there and he couldn't reach it to pull it out. His hand, that still hadn't let go of Myungsoo's arm, recoiled in shock. He who had been entertaining the idea of picking Myungsoo's flower and adding it to his garden, well, that was out of the question now. He couldn't afford to let his guard down, or he would have nothing left to guard. It was a dog eat dog world out there, and his pen had just been invaded by the most fierce of wolves in sheep clothing.

 

After keeping up appearances, greeting a half a dozen important contacts in a daze, he snuck into the bathroom. Splashing water in his face, he convinced himself that he had nothing to worry about. His fans would never leave him, would they? He was used to being number one, he was not ready to fall back into second place. He had worked so hard to get where he was, he was not going to lose everything into the hands of a guy who couldn't even utter a whole sentence without turning into a bright red apple. Why did he have to be such an enticingly appetizing apple?

Then he remembered why he was here in the first place and the growing knot in his gut dissolved into a thousand butterflies. Sungkyu. He hadn't come here to work, he had come here to woo Sungkyu. Granted, it would have been more gentlemanly of him to pick him up and him to the show, but he couldn't do that. The thing was, that he had a set of personal principles when it came to appearing in public. A part of that was only going to the opening night of shows, plays and such, and he never strayed from that rule, for it made him a more desirable celebrity guest.

It had become a sort of an unspoken tradition for everybody that was somebody to invite him to their premiere, and if he actually made time in his schedule to show up, people knew this show was going places. So one could say that he had gained the power to support the ones he believed in. Therefore, he couldn't just throw away what had taken him months to build up, just to take some guy out, but he couldn't show up with him, arm in arm on the red carpet, because then the media would go crazy. He wasn't really scared that it would leak out that he was gay, with his track record, there were already plenty of rumors out there so it was unofficially a known fact. But he figured Sungkyu was the type to get scared easily, and on top of that, it would be pointlessly creating a scandal with a guy that he wasn't yet sure he wanted anything more from than the obvious, to share a couple of rounds of nighttime tango.

 

Tugging on his bow tie, checking to make sure it was still as straight as he was gay, he entered the theater. He got goose bumps as he looked around. It was one of Seoul's biggest theaters, the soothing lighting caressed the walls that had been carved out to create the perfect acoustics. The sight planted a seed of excitement into his heart. He had made sure to be fashionably late, so almost everybody was seated already, the air filled with anxious chatter. It grew more and more impatient as the clock counted down the minutes. He always waited until there were only a few minutes left until the show began before entering the theater, he didn't want to create a commotion. He had become so famous that he had to think about things like that.

Every row of seats he put behind him quickened the pace of his heartbeat. Their seats were right up front. His stomach jumped as he wondered if he was here yet, if he was already sitting in the seat beside the one that would become his in a few moments. Of course he was here already, there were only two minutes left until the doors closed. Since it was a premiere, latecomers would be denied entry. Unless it was someone important enough obviously.

Holding his breath, he turned to the right, glancing in the direction of their seats. The seats were there, impatiently waiting for their owners to warm them up, looking a bit lonely, for all the seats around them were hugging their own assigned already. He had this sinking feeling in his gut, he almost got annoyed at how disappointed he was. He didn't get it, why hadn't he shown up? He had it all, he was handsome, talented, rich, what more could one want? What kind of an idiot would pass up on the nations most popular idol? There was only one explanation. He was running late. Perhaps he was delayed at work. Or more likely, that he had taken too much time getting ready, trying to dress to impress. Oh that silly boy, as if he could. He doubted he owned a single item of clothing with a label fancy enough to impress him.

He checked his watch as he sat down, less than two minutes now. He bit his lip as he prayed that he would make it. Just then a silhouette of a person registered at the corner of his eye. His heart did a backflip, only to realize half way through it that it wasn't Sungkyu, falling flat on its behind. Sungkyu must have figured out in the end that the ticket was actually meant for him, right? The guy entered the row, checking his ticket against the seat numbers, looking up and down the row. Woohyun did the same. The only empty seat was the seat beside him. Sungkyu's seat.