Stakeout

Infamous

 

Dongwoo's giggles filled the car. Hoya had finally called yesterday and the two had been exchanging calls and messages ever since. From what Woohyun had gathered, being involuntarily exposed to all of their obnoxiously giggly interactions, they were having trouble finding a suitable time for their first date since Dongwoo was just as busy as Woohyun, if not more. He was by his side nearly every waking hour of every day, so it didn't leave much time for a personal life.

He double checked that his phone was on. It was a new nervous tick he was developing, possibly connected to the fact that there had been no word from Sungkyu. According to Dongwoo, Hoya had delivered the chocolates as promised, so Sungkyu should have found his phone number by now. But why didn't he call? Or at least message?

Woohyun had been quite obvious in his pursuit, so there was no way Sungkyu didn't know he was interested. Was he really not interested back? He couldn't accept it. It had to be something else, something holding him back. But what else could he do to try and make Sungkyu come to his senses? There was nothing left but to just come right out and say it.

 

“Go out with me.” Woohyun asked in a low voice as he paid for his coffee, straight out and in earnest.

“No.” Sungkyu said with clenched teeth, putting the money in the register.

“Why not?” he couldn't help but ask. He really wanted to know.

“I don't want to.” Sungkyu simply replied, shrugging his shoulders like it was no big deal.

 

Wow, that was brutal, Woohyun thought as he got back into the car, having thrown the coffee away. He wasn't in the mood to drink Sungkyu's rejection coffee. It was not like it was fit for human consumption anyway. His chest felt heavy, making it harder to breathe, like there was a two ton elephant sitting on it. There had to be a better explanation than 'I don't want to', what kind of answer was that? Was he just that straight, that he couldn't even entertain the idea of going out with him? Nobody was that straight that they passed on an opportunity to spend time with him, nobody. Whatever their ulterior motive, people jumped at the chance of getting to meet him, not to mention spending some alone time with him. Why was Sungkyu resisting his advances? There had to be something that he wanted to achieve in life, how had he not realized that he could make that happen for him? With nothing more than the snap of a finger.

“No, wait. Let's hang out here for a while. Park so that we can see the entrance, okay?” he told Dongwoo as the car started moving.

“But, we have to go over tomorrow's lines remember?” Dongwoo said with concern, furrowing his brow.

“We can do it here.” he insisted. He received a look from Dongwoo that was half way between sympathy and disbelief.

“Woohyun-ah..” Dongwoo started, his eyes softly telling him to let go. But he couldn't let go. There was this gnawing feeling inside him that told him that if he let go now, he might regret it for the rest of his life. Besides, he wasn't a quitter. Once he sank his teeth into something, he didn't let go until it was his, whatever it was.

 

An hour and a half and still nothing. Woohyun was using Dongwoo's binoculars to spy on Sungkyu and it came close to being the most boring thing he had ever done. Those spy movies were so far from reality that it wasn't even funny. Hours and hours of sitting still and watching as nothing happened. Riveting stuff! Although, he was enjoying the view immensely. As if under a spell, he was getting fonder and fonder of Sungkyu, despite his many, many rejections. There was something there. He didn't know what, but he was going to find out.

 

After making about a thousand cups of coffee, poisoning half the neighborhood with his black liquid imposter, Sungkyu's shift was over. Ah! Maybe that was it! The coffee! Maybe he put something into the coffee, some kind of love potion or manipulative serum, essentially making people into his own personal slaves. That was why his line was always the longest, even though his coffee was undrinkable by anyone's standards. That was why he just couldn't get him out of his head, starting each day with a random thought about him. That had to be it.

 

Sungkyu exited the building, loitering in front of the entrance for a couple of minutes. He was wearing a simple T-shirt and jeans. Not the most stylish person ever, but it suited him. He had a knack for making the ordinary extraordinary. He looked like he was waiting for someone. Did he have a boyfriend perhaps? Was that what was holding him back? Woohyun held his breath in anticipation. If the problem was a boyfriend, that would make him feel a whole lot better. Boyfriends could be bought. Everything had a price, even love. That was one of the reasons he didn't believe in true love. It was all just a ruse, a deception created by hormones. It was like getting drunk, it was all fun and games at first, but then you eventually sobered up and had to face the harsh reality of real life.

The hairs on Woohyun's arm rose, there was someone coming down the street. His heart did a double take when Sungkyu waved at the shadow that was drawing nearer. This was it. The moment he had been waiting for and was going to make the last two hours of madness seem like time well spent. He tweaked the focus on the binoculars, but it was hard to get a clear image of the person who was drawing closer and closer. Wait, did he have long hair? Oh! It was a girl! He had a girlfriend! That kind of made sense. But he couldn't pretend it didn't hurt when Sungkyu kissed her cheek to greet her. He looked so different from how he was with him. His guard was down, he looked comfortable and laid back. She even put a smile on his lips. It was the cutest smile he had ever seen. Kind of dorky, but so sweet. Why couldn't he smile like that for him? He ached at the thought that he was hers and not his.

 

He had a plan. Some might say it was an evil plan, but he didn't see it like that. If the plan worked, he was doing Sungkyu a favor, if it didn't, he had only proven their loyalty to each other. So in fact, it was the opposite of an evil plan, it was more like a necessary test that all couples should be so lucky to get.