Promises

In your eyes

Seungyeon was riding the tube towards Central St. Martins for her visual media short course class but her mind was elsewhere, yes she was a bit nervous still after a week of attending classes but nothing bothered her more than how her mini adventure of finding herself turned out. Why would she have to see him again after all this time, just when she was ready to move forward, why do I feel like I have to be twice as guarded this time around so as not to get hurt, worse why do I feel guilty when I feel that the butterflies are still there when they're supposed to be not, why, why, why Seungyeon thought.

 

There were a lot of questions but unfortunately she was not able to find a single answer to all of them. She snapped out of her daydream and walked out from the station towards the street leading to her University while walking by a Chinese restaurant, a worker handed out free fortune cookies, she took one and proceeded along with her day.

 

Jonghyun was busy with their soundcheck and rehearsals that day at the Music Hall, he was in awe on how decadent and grand it was, he felt that it was such a privilege to run around in this place, play music, and let the sound bounce through the walls acoustics effortlessly, it was as if he was shouting all his worries through the melodies and the Hall with its years of hearing and playing back notes answered subtley all the questions and doubts in his muddled mind.

They’ll be playing their London Concert tomorrow then fly back the day after to Seoul to close their World Tour.

 

Back to reality I guess he thought, as much as he considered Seoul as his home he can’t help but feel uneasy leaving her here all alone with that guy hovering around her. Will his innocent bear be safe in such a different part of the world than she’s used to be? Despite having their own schedules over the past week He and Seungyeon would meet up with s and Hiro at cafes or pubs and occasionally go do Touristy things in order to make most of their time in London. He knew that she was taking classes for a month in London before going back to Seoul for some projects. 3 weeks. 3 weeks of not seeing those eyes and that warm subtle smile again. He was going crazy just thinking about it. It was not rational he thought, he survived months of nothing seeing her, just occasionally checking up with each other through messages that weren't really heartfelt or interesting, but now why does he feel uneasy and doomed? He felt in his gut that somehow this time it would be different and not in a good way. He closed his eyes, took a breather and remembered the Sunday that they spent together in Hyde park. It wasn't planned that it would just be the two of them, all of his group and Hiro was supposed to be there but Minhyuk and Jungshin had to rest after getting the flu, Yonghwa had to attend to some personal affairs and Hiro had to fly out so it was just her and him.

 

They were sitting on the Parks bench and having their own mini picnic when she said aaaaaah doesn't this remind you when we were in Japan having that bento? she giggled, the wind was unforgiving that day! I guess we’re pretty lucky that its just drizzling.  Deh I remembered being so disappointed and embarrassed that day, things didn't turn out as planned. Jonghyun replied. It was all in the past though so lets move forward and forget all those unfortunate events Seungyeon said. Jonghyun was surprised at her icy comment he had such high hopes today, he felt that finally he was catching up to her and just like that she sprinted forward again leaving him with nothing but his breath.

The day went by quickly and they now found themselves on a ferry cruising along the bridge facing the big ben and basked in Londons warm and comforting lights, Seungyeon was beaming now, Whoa deabak! This is beyond beautiful, seeing it up close I am at lost for words she said while looking towards the building that was perfectly lit before them, Jonghyun was looking directly at her when he said Deh it is, it always was. We’re both so fortunate to see it as close as now, its as if we can almost have it, bring it home with us, keep it safe, and treasure it forever, he was saying this to her, his eyes never leaving her profile. Seungyeon totally oblivious to what was happening remarked, Only if we could have it forever but we couldn't right? The tides are against us but we should be thankful because even for a brief moment we had it, not everyone can have it like that right Oppa? She looked at him now, and all he could do was look towards the water, he begged to differ.

 

It was 7:00 pm now, He was supposed to meet up with Seungyeon for coffee at the cafe nearby but the soundcheck guys asked him to stay in the hall in fear that the guards might close it down for the night and they still needed to do one last rehearsal with the boys. He decided that perhaps they could meet here instead he was already keen on inviting her to attend their concert formally. He wanted her to stay on stage left so that he can keep an eye on her and perhaps play the song that they used to sing along to.

 

Seungyeonssi is it ok if you'd get coffee for us and lets meet up at the hall instead? Sorry but I have to guard the turf tonight he messaged her, instantly she replied arasso no problem Oppa, your usual right?

Deh kahmsamnida see you. He typed back quickly.

 

He was pacing back and forth now, completely uneasy and nervous. This was his chance he thought, his chance to apologise, to explain why he was so out of things lately and on how he did not mean to drown her out, it was his opportunity to make up for the lost time, and his time to confess and hopefully have her back. I can do this I can do this I can do this he told himself, Im ready for whatever happens, Im ready to protect her, Scandal or whatsoever Im all in.

 

Oppa are you ok? You look a little pale and distraught. Seungyeons gentle voice calmed him down, Seungyeonah you're here come sit on the….. Floor? she asked and then giggled its ok oppa its just like the old times we've been having those moments a lot lately. So how’s your rehearsals? Where are the boys? she asked.

 

They're at the hotel but they'll be back here by 9 for the last soundcheck, speaking of please come here and watch our show tomorrow ok? Seungyeon didn't answer back which made him uneasy she was busy arching her neck looking at the halls interiors, its beautiful she said, is it as good as it looks? does it sound as promising? Jonghyun was surprised at her question she’s been talking cryptically lately, the acoustics I mean, oppa are you there? You seem a bit uneasy today and out of it today, why don't you play a song from your guitar first that always helped calm you down did it? Jonghyun was surprised on how she knew him so well still, he stood up took his guitar and played 5 medleys while she watched in silence until finally he decided to tell her all the things that he wanted to.

 

Seungyeonah Im not sure how you'll take all of this... but I feel like I have to say this my heart is about to burst. I guess what Im trying to say is…

 

Stop! Before you say something that you'll regret or wont mean to in a few months time lets not ruin this moment, this friendship, or whatever this is, because oppa we both know that we don't know where this is going even from before. I actually came here today not just to meet and catch up  again just like how the past week has been for us, but... I came here to with a request in mind can you do that for me?

 

Jonghyun was stunned, what was this, what is this, he felt a trickle of sweat going down his spine, he did not know what was coming but somehow he knew that something big was about to go off. He could only nod at her remark.

 

She took out a few music sheets from her bag and handed it over to him, it was untitled but the notes were all there all he had to do was play it back and follow along. 

 

Oppa I want you to promise me three things 1. You have to play this song for me and once you start don't stop just continue on with the melody until you reach the last note of the song arasso? Deeeeeeeeh. 2. After playing the song I want you to close your eyes and keep them closed until you hear the word Kahmsamnida. Do you understand? Aniii. Oppa please? Deeeeh, he said reluctantly. 3. The last but definitely not the least, no matter what happens play well tomorrow ok? Of course, but Seungyeonaaaaah what is this.

 

Arasso we’re all set. Seungyeon stood up and walked off the stage, Seungyeonah where are you going? Jonghyun asked nervously. Im going over the paths by the seats to test out the acoustics if they were as good as you told me, stay on your side Oppa, in order for this experiment to work you have to keep your promise, Deh. Seungyeon finally picked out a spot and told Jonghyun to play the notes. She was singing, aaaaaah I missed that voice Jonghyun thought, but as he continued to play along he was listening to the words and lyrics that were coming off from her and he stopped.

 

Somebody told me you were leavin’ 

I didn’t know 

Somebody told me you’re unhappy 

But it doesn’t show 

Somebody told me that you don’t want me no more 

So you’re walkin’ out the door 

 

Seungyeonaaaaaaah whaat  is this???? He asked with his voice trembling, truth be told he didn't need to, he knew, he knew what was coming and he was dreading it because for one he felt that with this there was no turning back worse he helped enable this.

 

Oppa, you promised remember? Lets continue.

 

No…. His voice cold and his face stern

 

Please you promised.

 

Why are you doing this Seungyeonah? There was a strain in his voice when he said this, indicating the pain that was already brewing from what was unfolding before him.

 

We’ll get there oppa, you promised, please continue to play the song.

 

Nobody told me you’ve been cryin’ 

Every night 

Nobody told me you’d been dyin’ 

But didn’t want to fight 

Nobody told me that you fell out of love from me 

So I’m settin’ you free 

 

He paused again.

 

She looked up her eyes pleading with tears in her face, she mouthed the words you promised.

 

He played it back reluctantly.

 

Let me be the one to break it up 

So you won’t have to make excuses 

We don’t need to find a set up where 

Someone wins and someone loses 

We just have to say our love was true 

But has now become a lie 

So I’m tellin’ you I love you one last time 

And goodbye 

 

Seungyeonssssi Please dont.

 

Oppa please this time around keep your promise this one last time, you owe me at least that. 

 

Somebody told me you still loved me 

Don’t know why 

Nobody told me that you only 

Needed time to fly 

Somebody told me that you want to come back when 

Our love is real again 

 

Just turn around and walk away 

You don’t have to live like this 

But if you love me still then stay 

Don’t keep me waiting for that final kiss 

We can work together through this test 

Or we can work through it apart 

I just need to get this off my chest 

That you will always have my heart 

 

With the last note played Jonghyun tossed his guitar and stood up. He was ready to sprint towards Seungyeon and hold her.

 

Stop. You promised! Close your eyes.

 

He felt helpless. But so he did.

 

 

P.S. To get a better feel of the whole story please listen to this song its really pivotal on the whole feel of the story  here's the link --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LVHpdOv3w8 the songs by Jimmy Bondoc: LEt me be the one.