1.

Stars Appear

one.

“Kyuhyun! Hurry up or you are going to be late!”

The young man stumbled down the stairs, attempting to fix his mess of black hair to look somewhat presentable. Jungsoo laughed, watching his son try to flatten the same part of his fringe three times before finally giving up, strands still sticking up all over the place.

“Are you sure you're ready? Have you got the flowers?” 

Kyuhyun looked at his amused father, making a face at him as he held up the small bunch of posies for him to see. 

“Yes father, Changmin brought them round just before sundown.” he replied, watching his father bounce around the house excitedly. “I feel like you are more excited than me.” Kyuhyun drawled.

“Nonsense! I am merely excited for your big day.” the older replied with a laugh, patting Kyuhyun on the back as he pushed him out the door. “Good luck Kyuhyun... I'm sure she'll love both you and them.”

“Thats the idea.” Kyuhyun sighed, giving his father a shaky smile as he headed down to the road. “Don't wait up for me!”

Eighteen years had passed since the winter night that had changed Jungsoo's life, the small boy growing into a quiet young man. Despite knowing nothing of his mother or his mystical heritage, Kyuhyun had still grown to resemble her in his looks, jet black hair and sharp features exactly like his mothers.

He made his way through the deserted streets of Wall, nervousness bubbling inside him as he came to a stop in front of a quaint peach house at the very end of the row. Checking himself over one last time he reached down to grab a small pebble, throwing it gently at the second story window where the dark glow of a lamp spilt into the dark street. Sudden movement could be seen from inside before a young woman finaly appeared, opening the window with a bright grin on her face.

“Kibum!?”

Kyuhyun frowned slightly before fixing the flowers in his hand, clearing his throat to call out to the woman above him.

“No... no Sulli its Kyuhyun.”

He watched as her smile faded slightly, posture sagging against the window frame in disappointment. “Oh Kyuhyun – did I leave something behind at the shop this afternoon?”

"Oh no!” he quickly replied, shaking his head nervously. “No I just thought that I-I would come here and--” Before Kyuhyun could finish his sentence the flowers were forcefully whacked out of his hands, petals scattered around his feet on the dirt ground.

“Come here and what exactly, may I ask?” the young man sneered, pushing Kyuhyun back slightly with his decorative cane.

“Kibum!” Sulli called in excitement, smiling at the boy as Kyuhyun sighed.

“...hello to you too Kibum.” Kyuhyun replied unenthusiastically, wincing as he earned another sharp shove in the chest.

“Leave him alone Kibum – just be nice.” Sulli asked, delighted smile making way for concern as the animosity built between the boys. Kibum looked up at her briefly before he turned his gaze to the ground where the broken flowers laid, snorting loudly.

“Where those ugly things really for Sulli? Surely a woman as beautiful as her is worth more than a pile of posies.”

Looking down Kyuhyun frowned, reaching to grab the flowers before he picked up a long stick beside them instead. He spun to face the other boy, stick resting awkwardly in his hand as he held it out in front of him, mimicking the others stance. Chuckling Kibum raised his cane in the same manner, awaiting the next move.

It was over embarrassingly fast – Kyuhyun charged at Kibum as the stick was immediately knocked out of his grip, momentum allowing Kibum one clean swipe at the back of his calves to flip him flat on his back. Kibum sneered down at him, shoving the end of his cane harshly against the others chest.

“You always were the worst at any sort of physical activity Kyuhyun. Although – was there anything at all you managed to be good at?”

“Just let him be Kibum, that is more than enough.”

At Sulli's words Kibum gave him one last amused smirk before finally backing off the man on the ground, walking away from the window with a bow. Staying still for a moment Kyuhyun lifted himself to his feet, wincing at the dull pain in his lower back.

“Are you alright?” Sulli asked out of concern, leaning out her window to get a better look at Kyuhuyn.

“Yeah...I'm fine. Nothing that I have not dealt with before.” Kyuhyun replied, giving her a small smile. Sulli sighed, relaxing now that she knew the boy hadn't been seriously harmed.

“I think it would be for the best if you were to head home Kyuhyun.” 

“Oh...” Kyuhyun sighed, looking up at her sheepishly. “I suppose you're right. Goodnight then Sulli.”

A small smile graced her face as she moved to close the bedroom window. “Goodnight Kyuhyun. Thank you for the flowers.”

With the window shut and locked, Sulli gave a small wave before disappearing back into the room. Once she was gone Kyuhyun started to make his way down the road home, shoulders sagging in defeat.

 

*´¨`*

 

“So how did it go for you last night loverboy?”

Kyuhyun flinched, refusing to meet the eye of his curious friend as they walked into the town centre together.

“That bad?”

“Well... Kibum showed up and I ended up on the ground uncomfortably fast, if that is any indication as to how the night went.”

“Ouch.” Changmin winced,  struggling to hold in his chuckles as he patted Kyuhyun's back gently. “Sorry friend.”

“Its okay – I am not quite sure what I expected to come of last night.” he sighed.

“Hey! If you like her as much as you claim then what is the harm of  just trying again? Surely there is nothing to lose by giving your all for her?”

Kyuhyun looked at the other man, eyes wide before a small smile broke out across his face. “You know...you're right! You truly are a great friend Changmin.”

“I try” Changmin chuckled, looking on amused as his friend spun on his heel and started to walk the opposite direction they were going. “Wait – where are you going!?”

“To give it my all! Cover for me with Ms. Jung at the store would you!”

“Sure, I guess...the things I do for love.” Changmin sighed, shaking his head amusedly as the other disappeared around the corner.

Kyuhyun weaved through the streets, finally reaching Sulli's house as she was heading out the door, the girl jumping in surprise at the sudden appearance of the panting boy in front of her.

“Kyuhyun, you're here again? Are you alright after that fall you had last night?”

“Oh! I'm fine!” Kyuhyun replied, light blush staining his cheeks. “There was no real harm done.”

Sulli's concerned look turned into a relieved smile, touching his shoulder gently. “Thats good, I was just about to head down to the shop to check up on you just in case.”

“Sulli, do you mind meeting me tonight down in the field by the Kim farm?”

“Tonight? Are you planning to say something so truly horrible it cannot be said to me right now?” she replied, barely containing her laughter at the panicked look that crossed Kyuhyun's face.

“Oh no – nothing like that! Just...please trust me.”

She paused for a moment, tapping her fingers against her cheek lightly. “I suppose I could come out for a little bit this evening.”

An excited grin lit up Kyuhyuns face, eyes bright as Sulli smiled back at him. “Excellent!” he shouted, blushing as Sulli giggled beside him. “Aaaah yes, I-I mean, great, sure.” he coughed. “Meet me around sundown!” he called before taking off down the street with a wave, while Sulli continued to giggle amusedly.

“What on earth do you have planned Kyuhyun...”


When the sun had just begun to set Kyuhyun was already pacing around the grassy field awaiting Sulli's arrival. Even with Changmins help he was a nervous wreck, and as she came into view Kyuhyun prayed to the gods above that everything would go to plan. Coming to a halt in front of him she smiled, Kyuhyun blushing darkly as she gasped at the sight in front of her.

“Kyuhyun this...this is beautiful!”

Before her sat a large blanket laid out on the grass, small candles littering the are to give it a soft glow. Spread out on the blanket was a variety of foods and a couple of glasses with a bottle of expensive looking wine between them.

“Not as beautiful as you.” he mumbled shyly, looking down before gesturing towards the space on the blanket. “Please, have a seat.” As Sulli settled on the blanket he poured her a glass of wine, handing it to her as he sat beside her. Taking it gently she took a sip, reaching for some food as she eyed him mischievously.

“So, what brings about this mysterious candlelight dinner?” 

Kyuhyun gulped down the rest of his glass hoping to chase away the rest of his nerves, pouring them both some more before turning to face her.

“Sulli, would you consider the idea of dating me?” She looked at him for a moment, slight smirk crossing her face before looking out towards the rest of the field, releasing a heavy sigh as she drunk from her glass.

“I'm not sure. I mean, Kibum said he would go aaalll the way to Incheon just to get the finest ring for my hand in marriage.”

“Incheon!?” Kyuhyun snorted, alcohol slowly starting to take affect, nerves disappearing.

“Yes!” Sulli replied, gigging at the look of mock horror that crossed his face.

“I would cross oceans and foreign lands just for a chance for your hand in marriage, and Kibum is going to Incheon!” Kyuhyun claimed, the pair breaking into laughter as they drained their glasses between constant chatter.

Soon the alcohol had made them more aware of each other, both of them looking quietly at the other.

“...Kyuhyun...” Sulli whispered, slowly leaning in towards the blissful man beside her. As her lips ghosted over his a bright flash in the sky jolted them from their trance, both jumping away.

Looking up towards the sky the bright light sat in the air for a moment, glowing impossibly bright before shooting downwards through the dark night. The pair watched as it shimmered across the inky canvas of the sky, before disappearing behind the tree line in the far distance.

“Wow.” Sulli gasped, “A shooting star! How beautiful.”

Turning to look at the dreamy eyed girl beside him a sudden idea struck Kyuhyun, who reached out to clasp her hand in his tightly.

“Sulli, as a sign of my love I would cross the wall and return the shooting star to you.”

She immediately turned to look at the boy beside her, wonder in her eyes replaced with confusion. Eventually she gave a soft chuckle before pushing Kyuhyun's shoulder lightly.

“Don't joke Kyuhyun, no one crosses the wall, you know that!”

“But for you I would do the impossible...”

She eyed the boy beside her carefully, noticing the determined gleam in his eye before giving a small sigh. “Fine then – if you really can get the star and bring it back to me before the month is over for my birthday, then my hand is yours.”

At her agreement a bright smile crossed Kyuhyun's face,  the boy almost jumping in excitement. “You can count on it!”

After spending some more time eating Kyuhyun quickly packed up the picnic, walking a tired Sulli back to her home, waving goodbye before setting off to another house a few blocks away. Knocking on the door frantically he gave Changmin an gleeful smile as his friend eyed him tiredly.

“Okay...what did you do this time.”

“Nothing too bad I promise!” Kyuhyun laughed, brushing off the others query as he pulled him out of the doorway, waiting for Changmin to close his door before marching him down the road. “All that's important is that I took your advice and now its really important I get across the wall.”

“I don't recall ever telling you to cross the wall...”

“Well, no.” Kyuhyun started, Changmin rolling his eyes at his friend. “But! You told me to give it my all, and it just so happens that 'giving it my all' happens to entail the other side of the wall.”

“And why the wall?” Changmin questioned.

“I may have a chance with Sulli, so long as I can get across and find her a fallen star.”

“Sometimes I regret ever befriending you.” Changmin drawled, Kyuhyun laughing happily beside him. “You realise of course that Mr. Lee is never going to let you get near the break in the wall, never mind the odds of actually managing to find where the star has fallen.”

“Well thats why I have you with me, don't I.” Kyuhyun grinned, Changmin just groaning as they reached the outskirts of town.

“You owe me at least a months worth of sweets for this, and the full story once you return.”

“Deal.”

Making their way down the small break in the wall, Changmin sighed as the old man sitting beside the gap stoof up, shaking his head as the pair approached.

“Ohhhh no. Not again Jungsoo. You're not coming anywhere near this wall after the last time, especially with a friend in tow!” the old man shouted, marching up to meet Kyuhyun and Changmin before they could get anywhere close to the wall.

“Mr. Lee? I-I'm not Jungsoo, thats my father. I'm Kyuhyun, and this is Shim Changmin.”

Recognition filtered across the elders face before taking a step back, still holding up his walking stick to block the pair from making any attempt to step near the wall.

“Aaahh Kyuhyun of course. Well, I'll tell you what I told your father all those years ago – I am in charge of guarding this wall and I am not about to let anyone else pass through! So the both of you better turn around and go home.”

“Okay Mr. Lee, We'll be heading home then, sorry for disturbing you tonight!” Changmin replied, charming smile on his face as the old man nodded in satisfaction. As he turned to return to his seat he nudged Kyuhyun, who quickly tried to make a break for the now open gap. He was just about to cross to the other side when there was a sharp blow to his stomach, taking the breath out of him as he was thrown backwards towards a stunned Changmin on the grass. Above him Mr. Lee stood – walking stick in hand – once again shaking his head.

“After your father bested me the first time I figured it was best to ready myself for any more mischief makers, and it looks like I was right – like father, like son. Now I'll say it again, both of you go home.”

“Alright Mr. Lee. I am truly sorry for my friends actions. Won't happen again!” Changmin replied, smiling awkwardly as he pulled Kyuhyun back to his feet, pulling the grumbling boy behind him back up the path. 

The pair walked home in silence, Kyuhyun just letting himself be dragged along, both sore and defeated. Kyuhyun had no idea how he was ever going to get the star for Sulli if he couldn't even best an old man to get over the wall.

“Don't worry Kyuhyun, tomorrow we can figure out another way you can win her heart over – its not the end.” Changmin finally mumbled as they reached Kyuhyun's house, knocking on the door gently. Kyuhyun just smiled sadly at his friend as the front door opened to reveal his concerned father.

“Is everything alright boys?”

“Nothing a good nights rest cannot fix I'm sure.” Changmin replied, the pair watching on as Kyuhyun walked into the house, shoulders slumped. Thanking the other boy Jungsoo shut the door, following Kyuhyun in to where he now sat slumped at the kitchen table.

“It did not go as planned?”

“Oh no – it actually went better than I could have imagined.” Kyuhyun sighed, resting his head against the arms on the table. “She even said I could have her hand in marriage.”

The elder frowned. “Well, isn't that a thing worth celebrating! Whats with the glum expression!?”

“I may have...promised her I would get her a fallen star.” Kyuhyun sighed. “But said fallen star is across the wall, and I cannot get across the wall without the old man guarding it attacking me and then going on and on about how he thought I was yo--” Kyuhyun froze, head snapping up to look at his father.

“You. He thought I was you – he was going on about how you would not get over the wall again... what did he mean by that father?”

Jungsoo was stunned as he looked at his son with wide eyes, before letting out a long sigh. “Stay here.” he mumbled, getting up and leaving a curious Kyuhyun at the table. He returned with a worn parcel in his hands, pushing to towards Kyuhyun as he sat back down.

“There is more past the wall than just a fallen star. Many years ago I travelled past the wall and saw just a glimpse of the beauty and wonder that lies in the world beyond. There are many things you do not know about the world yet, things that will help you if you are serious about crossing the wall and going in search of the star for Sulli.” he said, gesturing to the parcel in front of the boy.

“I know we haven't spoken much about her, but this is from your mother. I suggest before deciding what to do you read her letter to you.”

Kyuhyun stared at the parcel, pulling the thin string tying it together, unravelling a letter addressed to him.

 

'My dearest son Kyuhyun,

I am so sorry that I am not there to see you grow up to be the wonderful man I have no doubt you will be. The worlds between us are vast and incredibly different, and although I may never be able to come see you in my lifetime, there is still a chance that one day you may come to find me.

In this parcel I have included a piece of an unbreakable chain in case you are ever in need of it, and a babylon candle – the only true way to travel here in the land of Wintervale. To use it, just light the candle and think only of me. Please know that no matter the distance between us I will always love you with all of my heart. 

Much love, your mother'

 

Kyuhyun stared at the letter for a moment, letting all that his father had told him and the contents of the letter sink in, before looking back up at his father.

“S-So, my mother is waiting to see me somewhere across the wall? Do...do you think she will like me?”

Jungsoo smiled as he stood, reaching over to give him a tight hug. “She will love you so much.”

Smiling at his father Kyuhyun gripped him tightly before he stepped away, walking over to the fireplace with candle in hand. 

“There's one more thing.” Jungsoo exclaimed, reaching behind Kyuhyun to grab a small wooden box. Sighing he opened the box, taking out a small white flower. “Your mother gave this to me the night I met her, I think it would be best for you to have it now.”

Kyuhyun smiled gently as his father pinned the flower to the inside of his coat, fixing it so the flower sat perfectly.

“Okay then... wish me luck.”

“Good luck.” Jungsoo smiled.

Smiling back Kyuhyun lit the candle, bright green light immediately engulfing the room. When the light died down a moment later the spot where Kyuhyun had stood was now empty. Jungsoo stared at the spot, whispering into the  now empty room.

“Be safe.”