8.

Stars Appear

eight.

In the morning the ship landed alongside the port, hillside surrounding them as they coasted into the small bay. Quickly they tied themselves to the bridge that lead down to the roadside, Kangin smiling as Kyuhyun and Ryeowook stood together, watching the men work from against the railing.

He approached the pair, Kyuhyun looking over to him with a smile.

“It looks like this is where we say our goodbyes for now, your wall should be about a three day walk from here if you just follow the path south.”

“Thank you Kangin, for everything.” Kyuhyun replied, Kangin shaking his head in amusement.

“No need to thank me, this was all the least I could do to aid your journey. Here – a bottle of out best lightning, just in case you're ever in need of it.” he added, handing over the large bottle to Ryeowook, who tied it around his shoulders.

When he was done he looked up, giving Kangin a bright smile. “It was wonderful to meet you captain!”

Kangin chuckled. “No, it was wonderful to meet you.” he smiled, pulling Ryeowook into a light hug. When they broke apart Ryeowook began to descend the small bridge to the port, moving to talk to Henry with a smile.

As Kyuhyun moved to follow Kangin grabbed his shoulder, giving the man a serious look. “Watch over him, he needs someone who cares about him.”

“Of course.” Kyuhyun replied, firm handshake shared between them before he walked down to meet Ryeowook with a happy smile. Together they waved back to Kangin and the crew crowded around the decks railing, cheers ringing out through the bay until the ship finally disappeared from their view.

They continued on their walk, making their way slowly towards their destination before Ryeowook sighed, looking over at the other man.

“What is Wall like?”

Kyuhyun looked over at him. “Huh...?”

Ryeowook shrugged. “You have told me its name, and of Sulli, but you never really told me what the actual town is like.”

“Well...its rather small.” Kyuhyun started, small smile growing on his face as he thought of home. “And quite boring – its the kind of place where nothing really happens and everyone knows everyone. You'd probably love it in the springtime though, the apples are particularly delicious on the trees that grow all around us.”

Kyuhyuns smile was infectious, own smile growing on Ryeowook's face as he listened. “I've never really seen something like that, things like trees and fruits do not stand out much at night time.”

“Then I'll have to show you! My friend Changmin and I always sneak off early from work on the first days of spring to collect the very best apples.” Kyuhyun laughed, before he grimaced slightly.

“What?”

“Last Changmin saw of me we had just failed to cross the wall...he is going to have the shock of his life when I actually return with the star and he meets you.” he replied, Ryeowook smiling sadly at him.

“It seems that I'll have a lot of people to greet when we arrive, though we have to pick up our pace if you want to make it back in time for Sulli's birthday, right?”

Kyuhyun just shrugged, giving Ryeowook a gentle smile. “I wouldn't mind if it took a little longer, I don't think it matters so much anymore.” he replied softly, Ryeowook smiling fondly back at him. Kyuhyun went to say more, moving closer to the star when a sudden thumping of hooves startled him, someone coming up on them from behind.

“Quick, hide!” he exclaimed, pushing Ryeowook into some of the brush beside the road, Ryeowook gasping as he fell backwards, Kyuhyun landing on top of him. They stared each other, Kyuhyun holding onto Ryeowook protectively as a loud voice drifted over to where they were hid.

“This is the LAST time I want to do with your nonsense you stupid woman, it is because of you that we're late, our spot in the harvest market will be taken by some other idiot!” the womans voice boomed, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook watching as a yellow cart pulled into view.

“I'm sorry mistress.” A young woman in blue said, the old woman beside her snorting.

“Oh just shut your trap, not a word out you until we get to town.” she growled, the girl lowering her head immediately.

“Maybe we should ask them for a ride.” Ryeowook whispered, Kyuhyun looking down at him in concern.

“I don't know if we can trust them...”

“We have to take a chance thought, it will take us too long to walk the distance at the rate we are going.” Ryeowook argued, Kyuhyun sighing in defeat.

“Just--”

“Stay by your side, I know.” Ryeowook smiled, letting Kyuhyun pull him upright and out of their hiding spot. As they climbed out of the bushes the old woman yelled in surprise, horses coming to a sudden halt just next to them.

“Wha...What on earth are you doing jumping out of a bush boy!? Could'a given me a heart attack!” she yelled, glaring at Kyuhyun from her perch on the cart.

“I'm terribly sorry, but we are trying to get to town, and were wondering if you would give us a ride?”

The woman eyed him up and down before she finally climbed down from the cart, moving to face Kyuhyun directly with a smirk. “Whatta ya got to pay me with?”

Kyuhyun froze, turning to look at Ryeowook. “Not the lightning.” the star whispered quickly, trying to avoid drawing attention to the bottle on his back.

“Uhh....we have...uhhhh...” Kyuhyun stumbled as he ran his hands through his pockets, until he retrieved the only other thing he had on him. “...a flower?”

The girl – who had remained silent on the cart – gasped quietly, eyes wide as her mistress frowned deeply at Kyuhyun.

“Thats my flower! It was stolen from me years ago, where did you get that!?” she exclaimed, lunging forward in an attempt to grab it from him. 

Kyuhyun simply backed up, holding the flower protectively close to his chest. “I was given it.”

The woman sighed. “Fine; I'll give you safe passage if you return that flower to me. It is quite valuable and will be more than enough payment for the distance.”

Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook once more, the smaller man giving him a small nod before Kyuhyun crossed the short distance between them, offering the woman the flower.

“Deal.”

Quickly the woman snatched the flower, tucking it deep into her coat.

“You know, that flower really was important – it helps to ward against a range of spells and curses.” she grinned, and with a wave of her hand the ring on her finger began to glow violet, quickly surrounding Kyuhyun in a bright flash of light.

 

*´¨`*

 

“Captain, how long until we're due to take off again?”

Kangin looked up from his desk, giving Henry a warm smile. “There are reports of a storm moving in from the west, we'll be heading out that way around nightfall. Have the men gone into the town east of here?”

“Yes sir, we should have all out supplies ready in an hour or so.”

“Excellent; you can return upstairs while we wait.” he dismissed the boy, watching him leave before he turned his attention back to his paperwork, planning out their route on his map. He was completely engrossed with his work when he heard a muffled commotion from above him on deck, the distressed yell that was distinctly Henry making him abandon his work immediately.

Rushing out of the cabin Kangin found a man standing by the railing, blade held against Henrys throat.

“Let him go.”

“D-Don't worry about me sir.” Henry muttered, Jongwoon behind him rolling his eyes.

“Be quiet would you.” he stated, eyeing Kangin carefully. “I mean you and your man no harm – I simply need information regarding a boy named Ryeowook. He has something of mine that I need greatly.”

Kangins glare hardened. “We don't know anyone by the name of Ryeowook.”

Jongwoon frowned, mocking look on his face as he ran the blade against Henrys skin. “Such a shame, you are about to lose the life of one of your men over such a simple lie.”

Kangin just growled, resisting the urge to lunge forward and tackle the other man.

“Mmmm, maybe you're the wrong person to be asking, how about this dear boy here.” he smirked. “Do you know where he went? Or would you rather take your knowledge to the grave?”

Henry stared at his captain, fear in his eyes before he shut them, inhaling sharply.

“He went south, towards the old wall.”

“Thank you.” Jongwoon grinned before he threw Henry towards Kangin, the smaller mans body colliding with the furious captain as Jongwoon made his escape, rushing back down the bridge to where his horse was waiting, quickly disappearing from sight.

“I'm...sorry sir...” Henry coughed, Kangin shaking his head.

“It's not your fault – lets just hope Kyuhyun knows what he is up against.”

 

*´¨`*

 

“What are you doing to him!?” Ryeowook yelled, watching on helplessly as the purple magic pushed him away from where Kyuhyun had last stood. It only took a moment before the purple light finally disappeared, leaving a small field mouse where Kyuhyun had been only moments before.

Ryeowook was horrified, staring as the woman happily picked up the mouse In front of her.

“I said I would let you ride with me, however I did not specify how you would be travelling.” she chuckled, walking towards the back of the cart.

“ARE YOU CRAZY!?” Ryeowook called, rushing after the woman as his anger continued to grow. “Turn him back right this instant and we shall just walk on our own! We did not agree to...to this!!”

The woman just continued on her way, opening up the back of the cart and climbing inside, placing Kyuhyun gently inside the small cage that sat back there.

“Why are you ignoring me? Answer me, please!!!” Ryeowook cried, reaching forward to pull the woman away from Kyuhyuns cage.

Instead of grabbing her arm like he wanted to Ryeowooks hand was thrown away from her, almost like a force field as he staggered back. With a frown he tried once more, hand bouncing back just shy of reaching her arm once more.

Without even a glance towards him the woman turned around to exit the cart, Ryeowook forced to scramble out of her way without being thrown from the cart. Watching as she slammed the doors shut, he rushed forward to find it locked, struggling to force the door open before the carted started to move once again.

Finally he gave up, crawling back over to the cage the mouse was stuck in, deep frown on his face. “It appears that for some reason she cannot see me and I cannot touch her, which at least means if needed I can easily escape with you.” Ryeowook sighed. “But I cannot return you to normal without her help.”

He laid his head on his folded arms, watching sadly as the mouse moved to look right at him.

“Can you even understand me? Give me a sign if you can.” he asked, gasping as the mouse squeaked in response. “Kyuhyun?” he continued, hopeful smile on his face before the mouse squeaked once more, looking at something behind him. Ryeowook turned, smile melting into a scowl at the wheel of cheese that was on the table across from them.

“Honestly...”

With nothing else he could do he handed a small piece of cheese to the mouse, watching simply as Kyuhyun shoved it into his mouth before he began to dart around the cage. Eventually he sighed, leaning towards the cage once more.

“Do you remember when we first met and I said I knew very little of actual love? Well, that was not entirely true. Because I know quite a lot about love, I've witnessed it so many times because that is what us stars do – we watch people. And for centuries upon centuries I've been able to watch those who have truly loved each other countless times. It was the only thing that really made watching your world worth it – that through all the hate and violence that could ravish the land there was always hope and love to make the world bearable. To see the way mankind loves... did you know that you could search even the furthest corners of the universe and never see anything as beautiful!” Ryeowook exclaimed, smiling down at the mouse in front of him.

“So yes, I know about love – I know it can be unconditional, unexpected and uncontrollable, and for some reason, incredibly easy to confuse for friendship because... I think I'm in love with you Kyuhyun.” he whispered, letting out a breath of laughter as he felt the weight lift off his shoulders.

“...it feels even better to say aloud than I thought it would.” he grinned, moving to give Kyuhyun another small piece of cheese.

“I love you.”