5.

Stars Appear

five.

As the grey clouds rolled in Jongwoon found himself at the edge of the seaside, waves lapping at his boots as he silently stared out into the vast ocean. He frowned as the old man behind him continued to stammer out a mess of apologies, claiming that they were turned around for the hundredth time. Slowly Jongwoon turned to face the frantic man, sharp gaze on him as he closed the short distance between them.

“You are a skilled sorcerer are you not? Have your runes lead you so far astray that they intend to send us across the great sea?”

“I-I'm truly sorry m'lord, let me try them again.” he managed to finally get out, moving quickly to toss the carved stones in his hands.

“One moment.” Jongwoon quickly added, the old man freezing his movements immediately.

“M'lord?”

“Is it possible for me to ask the questions on your behalf while you toss the stones?” Jongwoon questioned, confusion flickering across the others face.

“Of course.” he replied, throwing the runes high into the air with a nod from Jongwoon.

“Question one – am I the second son of the late king of Wintervale?”

Moments later the stones landed back in the mans hands, intricate engravings all landing face up. “That means yes m'lord.”

“Very good.” Jongwoon smiled. “Next question – are we in search of the royal gemstone?”

Again the man threw the stones into the air, runes landing face up once again in his hands.

“Yes again, excellent. Just one last question!”

“Of course m'lord.” the man agreed, throwing the runes once more high into the air. Instantly Jongwoons calm smile vanished, icy glare meeting the now fearful eyes of the old man in front of him.

“Has this man been paid off by my brother?”

The runes fell back into the mans now shaking hands, once again landing in the familiar positive outcome. Immediately his head snapped up, trying to choke up a slew of excuses before Jongwoon unsheathed his blade, quickly silencing the man. As the mans body fell to the ground Jongwoon just sighed, reaching down to scoop up the scattered runes by his feet, heavy raindrops starting to fall as he threw them up once more, heading back inland in search of the lost gemstone.

 

*´¨`*

 

The rain was pouring down as the horse galloped through the forest, weaving through the brush along the path while Ryeowook held on tightly. As they broke through the treeline his visibility through the rain became near zero, cold and tired as they rode along the rolling hills in the darkness.

He was convinced they would be stuck out in the rain all night when the horse finally began to slow to a trot, Ryeowook cracking his eyes open enough to see the dim glow of a light coming up alongside the pathway, just making out what appeared to be a small inn.

As the horse rode up to the building the front door cracked open, golden light spilling from inside to reveal the figure of a small woman, shock evident on her face as she raced out to meet Ryeowook.

“Goodness dear, what on earth are you doing out in weather such as this!? Lets get you inside before you freeze to death!” she chided, guiding a shaking Ryeowook through the doors. Immediately he was hit with the warmth off the inn, fire blazing just past the door a welcoming change to the icy rain outside. Ryeowook let out a content sigh, the woman returning to his side a moment late with a retrieved towel, sliding it around his shoulders.

“Welcome to my inn dear, my name is Sikyung. Lets get you out of these wet clothes before you catch a cold you poor thing.”

“I-I'm Ryeowook; th-thank you so much.” Ryeowook shivered out, pulling the towel tighter around his frame as he took a better look around the open room. Across from the fire sat a number of small couches, hallway leading to the back just past the other side of the front bench. A moment later a young man rounded the corner, obviously startled at Ryeowooks appearance.

With a curt smile Ryeowook turned back to the woman, her sharp gaze on him as she ushered him to the staircase that lead to the upper balcony. 

“We have a number of spare bedrooms upstairs, and I'm sure you'll be able to fit into some of my sons clothing. After a nice bath and a warm meal we'll have you nice and comfortable in no time.”

“Oh I don't want to be a hassle--”

“Nonsense!” she exclaimed. “What is the point of having an inn if we don't have the means to help those that need us like yourself. Hurry up the stairs now, I'll draw the bath ready for you while my son cares for your horse for you.”

Ryeowook blinked in surprise, gazing back down the stairs to the frantic-eyed boy standing awkwardly by the door. “Ah, thank you for your generosity.”

The boy just stared up at him, gaze flicking quickly between him and the woman before giving a curt nod, dashing outside into the rain.

“Is he alright?” Ryeowook frowned, the woman shaking her head as she continued up the staircase.

“Never a bright one that boy, try not to pay him much attention...here is the room you'll be staying in. Why don't you get out of your wet clothes and I'll get that bath ready.” she smiled, slipping away as she left him in the small bedroom alone.

With a sigh Ryeowook shook his hair, wincing as the throbbing pain started to bloom once again in ankle from the weight he was placing on it. Hobbling over to the bed he lowered himself on the edge as he looked down at the ember gem, letting his fingers run across its silver chain.

It was the stones fault that he was stuck here in the first place; now in the middle of no where with no one and and no where to go. Maybe it would've been better to remain by Kyuhyuns side – at least the man had some sort of plan, and had somewhere familiar to return home to.

The womans calls eventually broke through his thoughts, returning to the room to fetch him for his bath. Once he was warmed and finally dry Ryeowook felt his glow slowly starting to return, finally content for the first time since falling from the sky. Now settled in a new set of clothes he smiled as Sikyung brought him a tray of food, his stomach growling angrily as she entered the room.

“Hungry?” she chuckled.

“Starving – I never knew one could be this hungry.” he replied, taking the tray with a quiet thank you as she settled on the end of the bed across from him.

“So dear Ryeowook, where were you headed? You do not seem like someone to be out in weather such as this on your own.” she asked, curious gaze freezing Ryeowook for a moment.

“Uh, well, I was trying to find my way back to a town through the forest with a...a friend.” he mumbled, focus entirely on the half empty bowl on his lap. 

He missed the frown that crossed the womans face, there for a mere second before it was replaced with her concerned smile once more. “Well I am sure your friend is alright, you'll be fine here until the storm passes.”

Letting out a shaky breath Ryeowook glanced back up at her, giving her a small smile of thanks before he moved to return the tray. When he stood he winced, ankle nearly buckling from the sting of pain that once more throbbed through him. Immediately the woman jumped forward, catching the tray with a sharp gasp.

“Do not push yourself if you are hurt! Please, sit back down!” she chided, sliding the tray onto the floor just beside the door as Ryeowook fell back onto the bed, gently she pushed him so he was lying fully down, eyes automatically slipping shut.

“Why don't you just relax, you've had quite an eventful day.” she quietly added, hand drifting down towards his ankle, green ring glowing softly as its power wrapped around his injured ankle. With a smile she focused her energy back on Ryeowook, gentle smile on his face as sleep began to take him.

Watching as he finally began to glow brightly, reminiscent of the true power of the stars heart her smile melted into an amused smirk, humming softly as she moved towards the dresser. As quietly as possible she pulled out a sharp glass blade from the draw, dark gaze focused on the star resting on the bed. Quickly she lifted the blade, ready to plunge it into his chest to harvest his heart when a loud bang came from downstairs, deep muffled voice booming through the inn.

In an instant the witch snapped her arm back beside her, tucking the blade into her apron as Ryeowooks eyes snapped open. She gave him a strained smile, attention shifting once more to the voice that continued to yell from below them.

“We must have another visitor seeking shelter from the storm.” she hissed, Ryeowooks bright glow dissipating at the sudden change in mood. Catching herself Sikyung gave him a tense smile, heading towards the door quickly. “Let me just take care of this for a moment dear.”

 Before Ryeowook could reply she was gone, hurrying down the stairs to come face to face with a tall man shaking the rain from his coat.

“Ahhh madam! I am sorry to intrude on you but me and my companion require shelter from the storm this night. If you would be so kind as to get us some towels to dry off and maybe a warm meal? Your fireplace at least is of some help but my friend is out managing the horses for me.”

Sikyung managed another strained smile, calling over the terrified boy from where he was awkwardly sat by the fire. “Of course, please tend to Mr...?”

“Siwon.”

“Mr. Siwon's needs. Come along boy, we shall get him some food and drink while he gets dry.” she spat, the boy chasing her as she stormed down the hall to the nearby kitchen.

When the pair were gone Siwon sighed, marching over to settle himself by the warmth of the fire. Soon after a creaking from above caught his attention, Siwon snapping to attention as he grabbed the handle of his sword, eyeing the staircase.

A moment later Siwon watched as a small man appeared from the top of the staircase, curious look on the mans face as he peaked towards where Siwon was sat. Immediately Siwon relaxed, flopping back into his chair beside the fire with a confident smirk.

“Ahh, so I'm not the only one trying to get out of the rain it seems. Though I am surprised someone as small and pretty as you is travelling on your own.” he chuckled, waving Ryeowook over with a teasing smile. 

With a snort Ryeowook began to make his way over, standing a few feet away from the other man with a cautious smile.

“Although I guess anyone out in a storm such as this should be second guessed, no matter what they look like. I mean I have no real choice but to be out here, but you're actually the second person I have come across out in such a torrential rainstorm...”


“Siwon you complete baffoon!! Look at his necklace!!!” Eunhyuk shouted, the rest of the brothers gasping beside him.

“Wha...no way.”

“How can he not see the gem!? It is right in front of his face!!!”

“How he managed to be apart of the group that killed me...”

Zhoumi frowned, watching as Siwon continued to ramble to the boy that stood across from him. “He is never going to figure it out is he? Always blinded by a pretty face.”

“This is the most frustrated I've ever been in my life.” Eunhyuk just sighed, head falling to rest in his hands in defeat.


“...at least we are both warm and inside now. Please, there is no need to be afraid, I would enjoy such lovely company by the fire.” Siwon finished, watching Ryeowook with an amused smile as the small man crossed the rest of the distance to sit across from him. “So do tell, what are you doing all the way out here?”

“I was outside with someone when we, uhh, split up within the forest when the rain started.” he tried to evade, realisation flooding through Siwon.

Before Siwon could get his next sentence out the strange son came almost flying back into the room, tray shaking in his grip as he ed a glass towards him, dark liquid steaming slightly. Siwon simply waved him off, intense gaze still focused on Ryeowooks nervous face.

“No thankyou; I shall wait until a meal is brought.  Just send it out to the man in the stable.” he said dismissively, the boy scampering out of the in towards the stable as Siwon leant forward.

“You know, my companion is searching for his friend and has a very similar story to your own, do you happen to know a man by the name of Kyuhyun?”

Ryeowooks eyes widened, stuttering under the sharp gaze of the man across from him. Dropping his own gaze to avoid the intense stare Ryeowooks hand unconsciously went to the chain around his neck, twisting it in nervousness. Slowly Siwons gaze followed Ryeowooks movement, inhaling sharply once he noticed the familiar gem resting against the smaller mans collarbone. 


“Theeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go.” the group exclaimed, Heechul snorting as the rest of the boys broke into a round of applause.


“Where did you get that!?” Siwon exclaimed, surprise making way for determination as Ryeowook jumped, hand falling from the necklace.

“Wh-What does it matter?” Ryeowook stuttered.

“I need that jewel.” Siwon growled, leaping up from his seat, hand outstretched towards a confused Ryeowook. “It is very important that you hand it over to me immediately.” he continued, crowding Ryeowook as the smaller man scrambled out of his seat.

“I—I-----”

“Please just give it to me, I do not want to have to use force on you.” Siwon finally stated, backing a scared Ryeowook up so he was pressed up against the wall beside the fireplace. “Take it off, NO--”

Before Siwon could get a grip on the ruby a sudden force ripped him backwards, Ryeowook watching on horrified as a glass blade quickly slid across Siwons throat from behind.


The brothers all winced, Zhoumis hand flying up to grip his own neck.

“Gods...” Eunhyuk gulped. “My neck suddenly hurts.”

“--OWhat?” Siwon cut off as he appeared into view, looking around bewildered while Donghae waved at him happily. “Brothers?”

“Thanks for killing me , now shuttup and sit your stupid behind down.” Heechul stated, Siwon shrugging awkwardly in apology as he settled beside the other boys.


Almost immediately the mans body crumpled to the ground, Ryeowook watching on as the woman from before just sighed, wiping the blade on the hem of her apron.

“Such a mess just to get my hands on you, my dear Ryeowook.”