2.

Stars Appear

two.

In the dark of the night a young man rushed through the gates of the grand castle, hastily making his way up a number of staircases before he pushed open the door at the end of the corridor to find his father laying in his bed, two older brothers by his side.

“Sorry I am late father, I arrived as soon as I got word.” he greeted quietly, moving to stand beside the bed as well. Shuffling himself to sit as upright as possible his father looked around at the men in front of him as he cleared his voice roughly.

“My sons, it is so nice to see you all together after so long!” he coughed. “You are probably wondering why I have gathered you all to join me tonight. The healers have made it known that my time has come to an end, and although your numbers have dwindled from seven to three, with the loss of your sister there is still no individual heir to the throne. Zhoumi?”

“...yes father?”

“Please go to the window and tell me what you see when you look out?”

Zhoumi strode across the room to the window where he leaned his body out to get a view of the valleys below. As he rambled on about the land and country he could see, his father grinned as the youngest quietly moved behind the distracted man, forcefully shoving him out the window, the man quickly disappeared from view while the king chuckled loudly between coughs.


“Oh geez, that had to have hurt.”

“Says the man who managed to get himself drowned when he was the families champion swimmer.”

Donghae pouted, looking sadly at the ice covered boy sitting beside him. “I thought we were having a competition as to who could hold their breath the longest!”

“All these years and that is still the most ridiculous way to die I have ever heard!”

“At least I won Mr. 'I died locked in a freezer because I was distracted by a pretty lady.'”

“Yeah? Well--”

“Donghae, Hyukjae, just shut the hell up!” a pale Heechul growled, glaring at the two boys. “I cannot believe I have been stuck with the pair of you for years and have not managed to kill myself again.” he muttered as he tried to move himself away from the bickering pair when a sudden scream pierced the room and a flattened Zhoumi faded into view. He stopped screaming when he realised he was now seated before turning to look beside him, eyes widened in shock and confusion.

“...Heechul? Hyukjae? DONGHAE? What on earth are you all doing here... wait, what am I doing here? I-I don't understand, aren't you all--”

“You are dead idiot.” Heechul snorted, smirking when Zhoumi turned to Hyukjae alarmed, the frozen boy shrugging casually.

“As long as there is no official heir in the throne we are all stuck like this together”

Zhoumi looked at his three brothers, slowly taking in the information before awkwardly settling between them.

“Oh, well... good to see you all again I suppose. Uh, sorry about the whole drowning thing Hae.”

“Eh, no hard feelings. I mean I still won in the end.”

 

“Aaah Siwon, always the forward thinker of the family. I have not had a laugh like that in quite a while.” the king chuckled, reaching over to grab a small box that sat on the table beside his bed. Opening it he pulled out a silver necklace, attached to it a jewel the colour of dark embers  laying in his palm.

“Now, this - as you know - is the jewel of our kingdom and is the sole possession of the ruler of Wintervale. For one to have the rightful claim to the throne they must have this stone.”

The two men looked at each other, edging slightly towards the bed slightly gripping the handles of their weapons. The king let out another bark of laughter, watching the two sons eye each other before throwing the jewel up into the air. At the sudden motion the men jumped back, watching as the dark colour began to glow brighter, now resembling flickering fame before it flew out the window into the night sky. A bright flash erupted in the sky, shooting across the horizon before it fell towards the ground, light disappearing.

The king coughed once more as he laid back against his pillows, barely breathing.  “Good luck my sons, may the best man find the stone and win their rightful place on the throne.” he gasped out as he closed his eyes, breath slowing until it came to a stop altogether.

The elder son moved to stand just beside their father for a moment, confirming he had passed.  When he had he strode towards his younger brother, smirking as he pushed past him towards the door.

“Well then Wonnie~ it's just us now.”

Siwon narrowed his eyes at his brother before snorting, giving him his own arrogant smirk. “We shall see how long you really last Jongwoon. We both know out of the two of us I was always the gifted one.”

Jongwoon let out a sarcastic chuckle, leaning against the open door frame. “Being gifted with a pretty face is hardly a useful skill - though I suppose I can let you have your deluded fun for now. Just don't come crying to me like you used to whenever something didn't go your way.”

Siwon let out a low growl, he marched up to his brother and shoved Jongwoon harshly out the way as he left the bedroom. Turning back to his older brother, he gave him a determined stare.

“You would be lucky to watch your mouth Jongwoon before I decide to just end you this night!” he growled before stalking away from the room. Jongwoon just let out a loud laugh, shaking his head at his younger brothers antics before making his own way out of the room.


“That idiot always had a soft spot for our dear brother, he is going to get himself killed with that attitude.”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes as Heechul now bickered with Zhoumi, before he turned back to a distracted Donghae who was looking out the window where the light was moments ago.

“I guess its anyone's game now, isn't it Hae?”

“If they don't kill each other first.”

 

*´¨`*

 

As Kyuhyun set about his journey a decrepit castle in the heart of the kingdom of Wintervale sat deep in a canyon that was just beyond the dark forest. As the bright light of the star illuminated the sky, rapidly falling to ground an old woman let out a delighted squeal from her seat on the windowsill. Watching the light disappear from view she hopped down from her perch, bouncing on her heels in excitement as she made her way through the winding hallways before pushing open two heavy oak doors.

“Sister! The time is finally upon us!” she yelled, making her way through the large entrance hall of the castle, sneering at the thick layer of dust that covered most of the furniture in the room. She hurried up the grand staircase before she came to a stop in front of the woman who gazed at her apathetically. 

“Time is upon us for what Saerom?” the other woman sighed.

Saerom gestured wildly towards the large tinted windows that made up the intricate entrance of the castle, shrieking with glee. “Did you not see Sikyung! A star has fallen this night!”

Sikyung frowned, looking at her sister apprehensively. “A star? Truly? It has been so long since the last one fell are you sure sister?” The other woman stopped bouncing, nodding frantically.

“Yes yes I saw it myself! The bright flash that fell could only be the sign of a star. Oh, how lucky we are this night!” she replied, squealing in excitement. Sikyung just looked at her, rolling her eyes in irritation before she cleared loudly.

“That fact is all well and good now but how do you suppose we set about obtaining this star for ourselves? The past years have not been good to us, never mind he fact that the remains of the last star are all but gone.”

The witches giggles stopped as her face fell. Sikyung had a point – the lack of a star for so long had meant the curse of time had withered them over the years, the once all powerful witches had become nothing more than old hags, locked away to decay alongside the castle they lived in. Saerom turned and grabbed a small chest from the cabinet across from where they stood, slamming it on the altar before she opened it carefully, dark expression turning gleeful as she peered inside.

“Oh how excellent dear sister!There is just enough left of the last star for one of us to go and collect the new one! But – who shall be the one to go?”

“We shall let the fates decide for us of course!” Sikyung exclaimed as she walked down the staircase towards the large wall of rusted cages by the side of the hall. She hurried past a number of rabid dogs and wolves, kicking their cages harshly, before she stopped at one cage in particular to grab a small ferret. Returning to her sister she placed the animal atop the altar, killing it quickly before the pair closed their eyes, reaching for the remains.

While Saerom kept her eyes diligently shut, hands stumbling around the carcass, Sikyung opened her eyes and reached for a specific part of the animal before shutting her eyes as Saerom shouted.

“I got the liver!”

“And I its heart.” Sikyung replied smugly, smirking at the deflated expression of the woman beside her.

“Wow sister, the fates must really have great plans for you.” SaeRom sighed, “you are always picked for these important things!”

“Yes...the fates.” Sikyung mumbled before reaching greedily for the star chest. She smiled before opening it , grabbing the bright light within and quickly consuming it. The light transferred from her palm to wash over her, Sarom gasping quietly beside her.

“Oh sister you look positively wonderful!”

She turned her gaze into the mirror beside them, running her hands down her now slim waist as she grinned. The old haggish appearance was now gone, the star completely rejuvenated her, making her young and beautiful once more.

“I do don't I? How divine.”

Saerom nodded as she handed the stub of a dark purple candle to her sister.

“Here is the last of the only babylon candle we have, now make your way towards the star and when you return we shall have enough to last us for centuries! But be careful, you know how little of the last star you consumed, every--”

“Yes yes I know using magic will lead to the power of the star fading.” Sikyung stated, smirking as the other woman leant over to light the candle.

“Do not worry dear sister, I will return in absolute haste with our star, and eternal youth and power shall once again be ours.”

 

----
setup complete! now onto the kyuwook goodness :^)