10.

Stars Appear

ten.

When Kyuhyun awoke the next morning he was greeted with the sight of Ryeowook sleeping soundly beside him, glow still illuminating his skin as the morning sunlight filtered through the window. With a grin he carefully reached forward to brush the fringe from the stars face, Ryeowook scrunching his nose cutely with a mumble before rolling over slowly, still fast asleep. Kyuhyun grinned down at him, fully enamoured with the star in his arms.

As he continued to watch Ryeowook sleep Kyuhyun was hit with the realisation that it was finally the day of Sulli's birthday. He couldn't believe how much had changed in just under a month– never would he have ever imagined finding someone as special as Ryeowook. Maybe he'd been wrong all those days ago – maybe he was truly the one who had never really understood what true love felt like.

The way his heart leaped when he looked at the star was completely different to anything he had ever felt with Sulli, full of such happiness and hope that Kyuhyun could never imagine existing without Ryeowook by his side again. He knew that everything had changed for him, and there was one thing left to make it right.

With a smile he slowly de-tangled himself from the stars grip, careful not to wake up Ryeowook as he quickly got dressed. Cutting off a small lock from the back of Ryeowooks hair he pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, wrapping the lock in his handkerchief with a smile before tying the lightning bottle around his shoulders, leaving the room with a click.

He hurried down the stairs of the inn, making to leave into the bustling crowd outside before he paused, walking back to where the old innkeeper was stood at the front desk.

“Excuse me?”

The man looked up from his book, eyeing him warily. “Yes sonny? I see you have slept off your drinks well enough...”

“Ahh yeah.” Kyuhyun chuckled awkwardly, trying to avoid his judging gaze. “I have to step out, I was wondering if I could leave a message for my friend.”

The man gave a slow nod, putting his book down to grab a pen and paper. “The small pretty one that carried you in here?”

“Thats the one!” Kyuhyun smiled, watching as the man gave him a nod to begin. “Dear Ryeowook, I shall be right back – I have some loose ends to tie up before I return. Please just wait for me. I love you.”

The innkeepers pen scratched across the paper until he was finally caught up, repeating the message back slowly. With Kyuhyuns affirmative nod he placed the note on his desk, looking up once more. 

“If I see him I'll pass the message along.”

“Thank you sir.” Kyuhyun replied, walking out into the bright morning sunlight. 

He walked quickly through the town, continuing along the road south until he reached the edge of the forest. Knowing that he was headed in the right direction he hurried though the thick brush until he broke through the other side of the tree line, familiar town by a familiar wall sitting just a ways away in the distance.

With a grin Kyuhyun broke out into a run, holding the lightning bottles strap tightly to his chest as he headed for the gap in the wall, laughing in disbelief as Mr. Lee came into view.

“Wha... Cho Kyuhyun...?” the old man floundered, confusion clear on his face as Kyuhyun jumped effortlessly over the gap, giving the man a bright smile.

“Good morning Mr. Lee! Sorry I don't have time to chat at the moment!”

“You...You...”

With a wave he left the shocked man where he was stood, following the familiar path from the wall into town. He hurried through the streets, heading for a particular peach house when he heard a loud gasp come from behind him.

“CHO KYUYHYUN!!” Changmin yelled, Kyuhyun turning with a grin as his friend ran up to him, pulling him into a tight hug. “Where on earth have you been? What happened to your hair!?!?”

“Its good to see you as well.” Kyuhyun chuckled, patting his friends back affectionately. “Remember how I owed you a story once I crossed the wall? I must say I think it will be much longer than you anticipated.”

Changmin stared at his friend, disbelief in his eyes. “You didn't...”

“Oh but I did,” Kyuhyun grinned.

“You found the star!?”

A tender smile spread across Kyuhyuns face. “I did.” he replied softly, before a mischievous twinkle returned to his eyes. “But that isn't whats important now, we need to go give Sulli her birthday present.”

“Well... don't you want to be more, you know, romantic when you give it to her rather than having me standing around?” Chagnmin frowned in confusion.

Kyuhyun just laughed loudly, pulling his friend with him down the street.

 

*´¨`*

 

As Ryeowook finally woke up from his slumber he stretched, sleepily looking around the room with a giddy smile.

“That is the best I have ever slept at night since I fell...” he mumbled, smile drooping slightly when he realised he was the only one in the bed. “...Kyuhyun?” he called, nothing but silence answering him. Finally he realised he was alone, Kyuhyuns clothes and the lightning no where to be found, glow of his skin quickly fading as he got dressed, fighting back tears while he waited for Kyuhyun to walk through the door.

When an half an hour had passed and Kyuhyun had not returned Ryeowook decided to leave the room, wandering slowly downstairs. The lobby was empty, innkeepers seat at the front desk vacant as Ryeowook slipped out of the building, heading towards the only place he knew.

It felt like his heart was broken, pain throbbing through his chest whenever he thought about the other man. Of course he would return to Sulli – Kyuhyun had crossed the world just to find the star – him – for her,  how could he ever compare to a gesture as grand as that!?

He felt the tears start to sting at the corners of his eyes, letting them spill over as he drifted through the town, heading towards the tree line of the forest Kyuhyun had mentioned. If he could find the wall he could at least serve his purpose and deliver himself to Sulli – he had nothing else in this world except Kyuhyun anyway.

In his grief he walked slowly past the row of morning stalls, a woman in a shimmering blue dress that stood before a bright yellow cart carefully watching him as he passed. She winced as she was suddenly hit across the back of the head, mistress scowling beside her.

“Pay attention you stupid child, or we'll never get any of this stuff sold!” she growled, Luna bowing her head in a quick apology. “Sit here and man the front while I go have a rest in the back, my head is killing me.” she added, stomping around to the back of the cart with another growl.

When she was gone Luna turned back to where Ryeowook had been, frowning when he was no where in sight. Quickly she scanned the crowd, finally catching sight of the star as he made his way to the forest. With a gasp she weighed up her options, looking around for the man that had been with him the day before.

With no one in sight and Ryeowook just disappearing into the tree line she made up her mind, pulling the chain around her ankle as she rushed around the back of the cart, locking it tight. Quickly she ran about around the front, shoving their table out of the way before climbing onto the front of the cart.

With a crack of the reigns she pulled out past the crowd, mistress shrieking from inside as she went after him.

 

*´¨`*

 

“Have you even planned out your confession?” Changmin asked as the pair rounded the corner of Sulli's street, moving quickly to her front step.

“Oh of course.” Kyuhyun snorted, Changmin just sighing in defeat as he moved off to the side.

“Good luck them, for whatever nonsense you have planned this time.”

Kyuhyun just beamed at him. “Thank you!” He laughed, rapping loudly on the girls door. It was a few moments later that the door slowly opened, Sulli gaping at him in surprise.

“Happy Birthday Sulli.”

“Kyuhyun...” she breathed, amazed smile growing on her face. “What on earth happened to you?”

“I...I found the star.” he replied quietly, soft smile spreading across his face as the girl before him gasped.

“You did it!? Where is my star!!? Is it beautiful!?” she exclaimed, bouncing excitedly as Changmin continued to watch silently across from them.

Kyuhyun simply reached into his pocket, gently taking out the handkerchief before he glanced back up at her, hand outstretched towards her.

“The most beautiful thing I have ever seen.”

Taking the handkerchief Sulli frowned, looking down at the small piece of fabric. “Its quite small for a star isn't it?”

“Well, that is only a small piece – a token for your birthday.”

“Oh...well no matter; it is not the star that is important.” she breathed, moving to hold Kyuhyun with a smile. “What I promised is.”

Kyuhyun just stepped away from her, watching the girl stumble slightly as he dodged her grasp. “Yes, about that...”

“Still causing Sulli trouble I see.” A new voice called out from behind them, the trio turning to face Kibum who had rounded the corner with an arrogant smirk. “Must I teach you another lesson Kyuhyun?” he sighed, raising the dull blade of his walking staff once again.

Meeting Kibums gaze Kyuhyun simple chuckled, unsheathing the sword Kangin had leant him, swinging it around himself expertly with an amused grin. Immediately Kibum took a step back, strained smile on his face as he lowered his staff, eyeing the sharp blade in the others hands.

“It is quite alright Kibum, I can assure you that I have learnt my lesson once and for all – she is all yours.”

“You make a wonderful couple!” Changmin added with a grin, Kibum glaring heatedly at the both of them.

Suddenly Sulli huffed from behind him, Kyuhyun turning on his heel to see the scowl on her face.

“Why would I even want this, all it is is a handful of useless stardust...” she stated, Kyuhyuns eyes widening in alarm as the glittering dust fell from her hands.

Changmin looked from the dust to his friend, looking at him in concern. “Kyuhyun...what does that mean?”

“Ryeowook...” Kyuhyun whispered. “...he can't cross the wall...”

Meeting Changmins eyes panic seized through him, Kyuhyun taking off in the direction of the wall, Changmin not far behind him.