12.

Stars Appear

twelve.

The sun had just set over the lip of the canyon when Sikyung arrived back at the sisters castle with Ryeowook, taking the star still under her spell and guiding him through the large oak doors.

“Sister!!!” she called, the other woman quickly coming out from behind the large row of cages, letting out a delighted squeal when she saw the man beside her sister.

“Oh sister you did it!” she exclaimed, rushing up to Ryeowook and staring intently at him. “He's a rather pretty one isn't he?”

“They're always pretty.” Sikyung sighed, tugging him along by the wrist. “This one however, was quite a lot of trouble to get my hands on compared to any of the others.”

“It will be worth it in the end though, won't it?”

Sikyung smirked. “Of course – but do not discount the thrill of the hunt, isn't that right Ryeowook?”

Ryeowook just stared straight ahead, eyes void of all emotion save for the emerald magic twinkling in his pupils. They lead him up the staircase in the middle of the hall, carefully lying him down on the altar and tightly binding his arms and legs down.

Looking down at him Saerom frowned. “He is not shining very bright sister.”

“The poor boys heartbroken...” Sikyung said in mock sympathy, his face with her fingertips gently once more. “...but a broken heart is still a heart nonetheless – begin the preparations sister, we have a star to harvest.”

 

*´¨`*

 

It was twilight by the time Jongwoon and Kyuhyun made it safely down to the bottom of the canyon, large black castle looming ominously before them. 

“Siwons carriage is here.” Kyuhyun pointed out, the black carriage sitting just to the side of the large building.

“That just means we are definitely in the right place.” Jongwoon replied, sliding off his horse and helping Kyuhyun down before tying his stallion up beside the carriage. “When we go in there make sure to not only stay behind me, but keep your sword at the ready and stay quiet.” he added quickly, slipping through the slightly opened door.

Kyuhyun was set to follow him in when he caught a shimmer of blue in the corner of his eye. Peering across from the door he finally spotted the source – a woman in blue knelt by one of the castles large windows trying to peek inside.  As quietly as possible he snuck up behind her, putting his blade to when he was close enough.

“Who are you and what are you doing here?”

Carefully she turned around to face him, both their eyes widening in surprise.

“You were with that woman who turned me into a mouse...”

“Kyuhyun...”

Kyuhyuns frown deepened. “I don't recall ever telling my name, now I'll ask you again, who are you and what are you doing here?”

She gave him a small smile, tears shining in her eyes. 

“I'm...I'm your mother.” she whispered, Kyuhyun gaping before he looked at her skeptically. 

“You...You're what!?”

Luna smiled softly. “Your name is Kyuhyun, your father is named Jungsoo. He has black hair and a small dimple in his left cheek that is noticeable when he smiles, and he got that white flower he had from me when we first met eighteen years ago.”

Slowly Kyuhyun lowered his sword. “Mother?” he choked, before she pulled him into a tight hug.

“You've grown up so much.” she added, Kyuhyun letting out a light chuckle before she pulled away to give him an apologetic smile. “I managed to stop the star from crossing the wall but the witch took him before I could keep him safe, I'm sorry.

Kyuhyun shook his head. “None of this is your fault – just stay put here while I go in and get him.”

“But you cannot take them on by yourself!”

Kyuhyun gave her a smile. “I'm not – speaking of, I need to go catch up to Jongwoon.”

“...be safe then.”

With a nod Kyuhyun gave her one last hug before he slid through the door, Luna frowning slightly once he was gone. “Wait...Jongwoon?”

Slipping into the dim hall Kyuhyun spotted Jongwoon behind a large row of cages, Kyuhyun hurrying over to where the other man was crouched, noise of the animals providing cover for them.

“So...whats the plan?”

Jongwoon just kept his attention forward. “Right now we have the advantage – they do not know we are here and they're distracted, if we can sneak up closer we should be able to ambush them before they can use their magic against us.”

Kyuhyun went to reply when his gaze drifted up to the witches, heart stopping. The two woman were stood just above Ryeowook, witch from the inn grinning as she raised the glass blade above her head, ready to strike.

“No...”

Before Jongwoon could stop him Kyuhyun raced out from behind their cages, rushing forward to the staircase with a shout of Ryeowooks name. “Leave him alone!!”

The two witches froze, Ryeowook snapping out of the magical hold on him as the emerald faded from his pupils, eyes sparking to life as Kyuhyun came into his view.

“Kyuhyun...you came back...” he whispered, glow returning full force and illuminating the area around them brightly.

A moment later Jongwoon joined Kyuhyun at his side, giving Kyuhyun an unamused glance as he focused back on the shocked witches above them. “So much for the element of surprise...”

“You...” Sikyung growled, lowering the blade slightly as she glared at the man at the bottom of the steps. “Have you not learnt to stop interrupting people!?”

Saerom gasped. “This is the one to cause you so much trouble sister?!”

“He has a habit of getting himself in the middle of things that do not concern him.”

“Maybe we should teach them both a lesson then.” Saerom laughed, stalking down the steps with Sikyung watching just behind her.

With a wave of blue magic the men watched as the magic shot forward, heading right towards them before quickly spinning upwards. It his the roof above them, glass chandelier shaking with power, Jongwoons eyes widening as it snapped from the roof.

He managed to push Kyuhyun out of the way, stumbling back into the cages as they rocked dangerously, while Jongwoon rolled out of the way himself, letting the chandelier shatter beside him before he advanced on the amused witch, sword raised.

 He ed the blade forward, just missing the witch as she twirled around him, laughing happily as she avoided his attacks easily, throwing shots of blue electricity towards him.

“Oh this is so much fun sister!” she called, Jongwoon frowning as he lunged his blade at . With a grin the witch caught his blade in her hand, twisting it away from her before stepping forward, placing a hand on Jongwoons alarmed chest.

“Got yooou~” she sung, electricity surging from her ring straight into his chest, Jongwoon flying back across the hall, landing with a sickening thump against the tiled ground.


“Ooooooooh” the brothers winced, Donghae watching carefully through his hands.

“That was--”

“--not good.” Eunhyuk finished.


Saerom advanced on him with a grin, Jongwoon struggling to get back on his feet as he fought to get back to his feet.

“Time for you to die.” she finally sighed, amused grin on her face as the blue magic began to swirl around her palm. Before she could get close enough to touch him Kyuhyun rushed forward, grabbing Jongwoons arm and pulling him upright.

“I-I cannot see properly, everything is spinning right now.” he muttered, Kyuhyun dragging the stumbling man backwards until they were against the cages once more.

“Why bother running little mouse~” Saerom taunted, Kyuhyun struggling to unhook the bottle strapped to his back.

“Get down and shield your eyes.” he whispered to Jongwoon, the man managing to stumble around to the side of the cages as Kyuhyun snapped open his bottle, twisting open the top. With a loud crack the lightning immediately came shooting out of the bottle, Saerom screaming as the bright flash of light overtook her.

“My eyes!!!! Sister!!!!” she screeched, flailing as the light blinded her.

As quickly as possible Kyuhyun grabbed his sword, turning to smash the many locks on the various cages. With the cages now open the feral animals came pouring out, dogs and wolves snarling as they attacked the witch.

Saerom screamed as the animals overwhelmed her, falling to the ground as the animals attacked her until she finally fell silent. When she was gone the sea of animals rushed for the exit, pushing the large doors open and spilling out into the night.


“Oh...ew” Zhoumi grimaced, letting Donghae bury his head against his shoulder. Heechul just let out a loud bark of laughter, Siwon looking at him alarmed.

“Heechul!”

“What!? Serves her right!”


Kyuhyun turned back to Jongwoon who was still shaking his head, moving to help hold him upright.

“I'm fine, I'm fine.”

“You don't look fine.” Kyuhyun frowned.

Jongwoon gave him a strained smile. “Just a knock to the head is all.”

Meanwhile Sikyung was fuming, glaring at the pair that were stood beside the now empty cage.

“They're going to beat you.” Ryeowook whispered, Sikyung snarling down at him.

“I would like to see the try.”

She stomped over to the cupboard behind the altar, pushing her way past the blades and utensils to get a small bag. Tipping out the contents she grinned, evil laughter bubbling out of her as she walked back to stand beside Ryeowook, small doll in her hands.

Kyuhyun and Jongwoon stopped at the bottom of the stairs, Kyuhyun frowning up at her. “What is that?”

Jongwoon just glared at the woman above them. “I do not know...”

“Well, allow me to show you then~” she replied, tugging the dolls right arm with a grin. Immediately Jongwoons right arm flew out to the side pulling him off balance, stumbling away from a worried Kyuhyun.

“Its a voodoo doll.” Jongwoon whispered, crumpling in pain as the woman stabbed at the dolls leg.

“How do I stop it?!” Kyuhyun asked frantically, Jongwoon gasping beside him.

“The...doll...itself...” he managed out, Kyuhyun turning to run up the stairs. Before he could get anywhere near the witch green flames sparked to life in front of him, pushing back down to the ground. He could only watch helplessly as she toyed with Jongwoon through the doll until finally she took her blade, stabbing the doll through the heart.

Kyuhyun barely managed to catch Jongwoon as he fell backwards, blood blooming from the stab wound that appeared in his chest, Ryeowook in tears as the witch cackled above him.