3.

Stars Appear

three.

Deep in the heart of the kingdom, past the mountains and the forests a deep crater had been left in the earth, charred land still smoking slightly from the recent impact. In the middle of the crater lay a small unconscious man, dressed in a shimmering sky blue outfit. His chocolate brown hair fell over his closed eyes framing his sharp cheekbones, thin lips set in an unconscious frown on his otherwise peaceful features. Around his neck sat a long silver chain, dark ember jewel resting against his chest.

Groaning the man slowly woke up, visibly wincing as he pushed himself into a sitting position, gripping his ankle at the sharp stab of pain when he moved. He looked around at his surroundings, seeing nothing but the charred sides of the crater he sighed, carefully rising to his feet and painfully limping his way to the side of the crater in an attempt to figure out exactly where he was.

Just as he managed to reach the edge a bright burst of purple light appeared in front of him, before a young man came barrelling through straight into him, sending them both flying back to the ground.

“...Mother? Oh my gods I am so sorry I did not see you there! I just kind of appeared – I am still not really used to this whole travel by candle thing – but I cannot believe after all these years I am finally able to meet you!”

Hurt and now confused he groaned loudly, struggling to push the slightly larger man off of him.

“First – get off of me! You are extremely heavy and I am hurt enough as it is without your help.” he growled.

Realising their position the other man froze, immediately moving to his feet to help him back up, awkwardly mumbling out an apology.

“And secondly – do I look like a woman to you? Let alone someone old enough to be your mother!? I may be smaller but I am more than confident only a complete moron would confuse me for a woman, which it seems you are!”

Kyuhyuns eyes widened, taking a longer gaze at the person in front of he that he had assumed was his mother. Realising that the other was indeed not a woman, but a young man, confusion filled him. Why hadn't he been sent to his mother; that was the entire point of using the candle to travel was it not? 

As Kyuhyun stood dumbfounded at what exactly was happening the other man looked up at him tiredly, wriggling his wrist out of the strangers loose grip before slowly starting to limp away from the odd man. He got a foot or two away when a sharp gasp rang out, turning back to see the now panicked man gripping his hair agitatedly. 

“Oh no! Nononononononono I was meant to think of nothing but mother! Bu-but I couldn't help it and at the last second all that came to mind was Sulli and the star I promis-- THE STAR!” Kyuhyun shouted, looked up at the wide eyed man.

“You were here before me! Have you seen the star that fell out of the sky earlier? It is extremely important that I find it. It has to have landed around here somewhere!” he stated, frantically looking around the floor of the crater. The man watched on, unamused, as Kyuhyun searched before letting out a sharp laugh, smile almost sickly sweet.

“Well, you are in luck mister! I think I have an idea of what happened to the star!”

Kyuhyun looked over at him hopefully. “Really?”

“Yeah, you see: right above us is where the star was sitting in the sky before it got knocked down by a stupid orange piece of stone. And right over there is where it crash landed on this stupid hunk of land!”

Kyuhyun watched helpless as the boys demeanour changed from sweet to angry, gesturing wildly before turning on him, shoving his chest harshly.

“and right HERE is where the star was minding its own business when it got bowled over by a stupid oaf who proceeded to then mistake him for a girl.”

Bewildered by the furious boy in front of him Kyuhyun just stared at him, letting his words sink in as the boy continued to fume. “Y-you? You're the star?”

“This stars NAME is Ryeowook. Now if you would excuse me mister but I am quite sure I have places to be that do not involve entertaining the likes of you.” Ryeowook huffed, spinning and limping away from Kyuhyun to climb up the side of the crater.

Kyuhyun just watched him struggle, weighing up his options. He was stuck here, in the middle of nowhere in an unknown land with just the stub of the babylon candle left. And although he had no idea how he could find his mother, he still had the star right in front of him...

“I am really sorry about this.” he mumbled,  reaching into his pocket to retrieve the small chain that had come in his mothers package before walking forward to grab Ryeowook's hand, wrapping the chain around his wrist tightly.

“Wha-- what on earth do you think you are doing!? Unhand me and take this off me this instant you crazy man!”

Kyuhyun just looked at the furious boy sheepishly, starting to feel somewhat guilty as the star tugged angrily at the chain around his wrist.

“Trust me I am truly sorry, but I cannot – at least not quite yet. See, the thing is... I need you for a present for this girl I know an--”

“A present!? You expect me to just follow you wherever you ask just so can hand me over to some girl? You cannot possibly be serious?”

“It is just until the end of the week, and you have my word that we can go our separate ways as soon as we return to my home of Wall. But right now you are injured and cannot get rid of this chain, so you need me.”

Ryeowook let out a disgruntled huff, glaring at the other man before he sagged tiredly in defeat. “...fine them. Just get me out of this stupid crater so we can hurry this up. The sooner I can be on my own way the better.”

Nodding Kyuhyun climbed out of the crater, reaching in to help lift the smaller man out. When they were both on their feet above the ditch they looked out into the darkness, seeing nothing but rolling hills, the only sign of anything different the outline of trees in the distance.

“Do you even know where we are headed?” Ryeowook sighed.

“Yeah...yeah, we head towards the trees. There is a forest just beyond the wall so if we get to those trees hopefully we shall be closer rather than further away.”

The pair started their trek across the open field, moonlight helping to guide their way in silence.

“...Why do you keep mentioning walls? Is it of importance?” Ryeowook eventually asked, breaking the silence.

“I live in a town called Wall, and on its northern border is a large wall that stretches across it that leads to...well, to wherever this is.” Kyuhyun replied.

“That is a little on the nose is it not? Wall named after a wall?”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “There is a running joke among the children that the ancestors were going to name the town dirt after the ground but decided against it.”

Ryeowook laughed, the pair falling back into a short silence as they continued walking.

“What is your name?”

“hmm?” Kyuhyun turned, looking at the star.

“What is your name? You already know mine and we are going to be spending all this time together, its only fitting that I learn yours.”

“Oh. O-Of course. My name is Kyuhyun.”

“Okay Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook replied, looking at him curiously. “Who exactly is this girl I am supposed to be a present for?”

“You are full of questions.”

Ryeowook shrugged. “It is not like there is much else to do in the middle of no where.”

“Her name is Sulli, and she's the girl of my dreams.” Kyuhyun answered, dreamy look crossing his features. “The night I confessed the sta – uh, you – fell out of the sky and I promised I would bring it back to her for her hand in marriage.”

“Thats a bit dramatic to win her affection.”

“Oh but she is worth it.”

Ryeowook looked at him, slightly confused. “How can all of this be worth it?”

“Do you even know how love works?” Kyuhyun laughed.

Ryeowook scoffed. “Just because I have not experienced it first hand does not mean I do not understand the general idea.”

“Its worth it because she's perfect.” Kyuhyun smiled, ignoring the others attitude. “She is the most amazing person; beautiful and kind and smart...”

“Is that all?”

“What do you mean, is that all?”

“Well... what are her interests? What makes her smile the most? What are her favourite flowers?”

Kyuhyun stopped for a moment, chewing his lip in thought. “Well...I am not quite certain.” he mumbled. “Really though, for someone who does not know anything about being in love you sure have a lot to say on the matter.”

Ryeowook shrugged. “Just because I have not been in love does not mean I have not seen it.”

“So you are just hopeless when it comes to your own understanding love...” Kyuhyun snickered, Ryeowook snorting loudly at the claim.

“You are one to talk.”

The pair continued walking across the field, nearing the trees in a now comfortable silence.  As they walked Kyuhyun constantly felt himself turning back to check on the other man every now and then.

“How is your ankle?”

“Sore.” Ryeowook replied, deadpan. Immediately Kyuhyun slowed their pace down to a light stroll, the star releasing a relieved breath.

“Thank you.”

“We should be in the forest soon, hopefully it won't be too far from there once we get our bearings.” Kyuhyun stated, giving the other a small smile. He hoped he was right.

Eventually they reached the forest, continuing their trek through the dense canopy of trees while night made way for day. As the sun rose higher and higher in the sky Ryeowook slowed considerably, lagging further and further behind Kyuhyun before he stopped altogether, collapsing against a nearby tree.

“Can we stop Kyuhyun? Just for a moment?”

Kyuhyun came to a sudden stop, pulled back suddenly by the taut chain. Walking back towards the tired boy he stared down at him. “Tired? It is the middle of the day and we've barely made any progress!”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes, leaning his head heavily against the trunk of the tree. “Yes but look up at the sky – how many stars do you see out right now? I should be fast asleep, not stuck in some silly forest trying to walk on a hurt ankle. All I am asking for is five, ten minutes of rest.”

Looking down at the exhausted star Kyuhyun felt a wave of pity wash over him. He glanced quickly around their immediate surroundings of the forest, contemplating what he should do until his gaze came to a rest on Ryeowook, pouting from his spot on the ground. Sighing in defeat Kyuhyun walked back and wound the chain around the tree, making sure Ryeowook was secure in his spot.

“Just stay here and rest, I will go and look around for any sort of food that may be nearby, okay?”

Ryeowook sighed in relief, making himself comfortable in the small amount of space he had against the tree. “It is not like I can go anywhere else is it?”

Giving the star an awkward nod Kyuhyun turned, walking away from the tree towards the brush.

“Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook called, Kyuhyun turning back to look at him over his shoulder. “Thank you. For, you know, letting me rest and all.”

Kyuhyun smiled. “Just... do not hurt yourself any worse while I am gone!” Kyuhyun chuckled, disappearing into the brush as Ryeowook tried to calm the unexplainable heat rushing to his cheeks.

 

It was night once more when Ryeowook jolted awake from his rest. The sun had long set as he frantically looked around the pitch-black woods, trying to spot any sign that Kyuhyun was around.

“Kyuhyun? A-Are you back yet?” he stuttered, flinching as the sky light up, thunder booming in the distance. When no response came it was obvious that Ryeowook was still alone, stuck to the base of the tree.

Ryeowook shut his eyes, attempting to return to sleep when a loud rustling came from somewhere behind him. Ryeowook snapped his eyes open, twisting himself to hide behind the base of the tree. The noise grew closer, getting louder and louder, panic setting into the star, cowering as a large horse broke through the brush, cream horn glistening on the top of its head.

Letting out a shaky sigh of relief Ryeowook relaxed, holding out his hand tentatively to the horse for it to come closer.

“You guys always know where us stars are, don't you?” he chuckled, its mane lightly.

The horse neighed, moving its head to strike the chain around the tree. Coming in contact with the horn the chain snapped, sizzling before it finally broke in half, landing in pieces on the forest floor.

Realising his new found freedom Ryeowook grinned, patting the horse affectionately before slowly standing up. Swinging himself carefully up on top of the horse he patted its back gently, horse taking off back into the forest as the rain started to fall.