11.

Stars Appear

eleven.

Ryeowook reached the other side of the forest, looking up to see the long stone wall that stretched across the open field. With a sigh he continued on his way to the wall, looking for a gap he could pass through. When he'd gotten closer he managed to make out a small break in the wall, old man standing just beside it.

“Another...I can't believe this...” the man gasped as Ryeowook walked over to him, hand on the side of the wall as he went to lift himself over the gap when the sound of hooves thundered from behind him. Both he and the old man turned to watch as the yellow cart came flying out of the tree line, speeding right towards the both of them.

“DON'T!” Luna screamed when she was close enough, slowing the horses to a stop just beside Ryeowook and the wall. “Don't cross the wall.”

Ryeowook frowned. “Why?”

“Because you cannot exist there – you'll just turn to stardust if you try to cross the boundary between their world and ours.” she quickly explained, Ryeowook just looking up at her lost.

“But where else am I to go?”

Before Luna could answer the back of the cart flew open in a flash of purple light, her mistress climbing out with an angry growl.

“What the hell are you doing you stupid child!? Why on earth have you brought us all the way out here?” she yelled, stomping across the grass toward the front of the cart by Ryeowook, the force field around her forcing the star away from the gap and onto the grass.

“I have had just about enough of you, you've been nothing but trouble since the day I took you! I should've known your bloodline was nothing but trouble” Lunging forward she grabbed Luna around her waist in an attempt to drag her around to the back of the cart, Luna fighting the grip with all her might as she turned back to face Ryeowook.

“Do not cross the wall, please!” she shouted, her mistress staring at her in confusion.

“What are you talking about you crazy girl, be quiet for once!” she hissed, purple magic winding around Luna until she sagged forward, spell forcing her into silence. She managed to drag Luna around the front, grumbling along the entire way, when a black carriage pulled up alongside her.

“What do I have to deal with now...we have no business with you!!” she shouted in annoyance, waiting as the door to the carriage slowly opened. As the woman inside finally revealed herself Ryeowook gasped, crawling backwards in fear until his back hit the wall.

“You...”

Sikyung smiled, breathing a sigh of relief as she eyed the star. “Finally, I've found you.” she said before she turned her attention to the terrified woman across from her with a dark scowl. “I see you have not learnt from our last encounter Minjung – did I not warn you!?” she spat, angry green flames spilling from her once more.

“L-Lady Sikyung” the mistress gasped, memories returning to her as she bowed to the fierce witch. “I-I promise you, I have not seen the star.”

“I know you haven't – and now you will never see another star again.” Sikyung growled, forceful flames flying at the terrified woman, mistress screaming apologies before the green fire overtook her, leaving nothing but the scorched earth behind.

Ryeowook gasped in fear, listening to the alarmed cries of the old man across the wall as Sikyung stalked towards him, leaning down to the stars face with a smile.

“So much hurt and pain...did that boy not want you any more?”

Immediately Ryeowooks heart throbbed, hurt flashing across his face as the witch tutted. “Why waste your life on him by crossing the wall when you could come with me instead.” she sighed, reaching to take Ryeowooks hand in her own.

Ryeowook didn't notice the green magic that swirled around his wrist through the tears gathering in his eyes, magic drifting upwards until his eyes turned a dull emerald. With a grin Sikyung stood back up, Ryeowook now allowing himself to be pulled along with her before she walked them to her carriage, letting the star lift himself inside.

Sikyung looked back at the gaping man by the wall as her hair began to thin and grey, sending him a mocking smile with a bow of her head. 

“Sir.” she taunted before she climbed onto the front of the carriage, turning them around to take the star back home.

When the black carriage had put some distance between itself and the wall Luna crawled out from behind where she was hidden alongside her cart, the magic her mistress had placed on her fading away in her death. As the chain around her ankle snapped apart she made her decision, climbing atop the yellow cart and taking off after Ryeowook once more.

 

*´¨`*

 

“Whose Ryeowook!?” Changmin called as he ran alongside Kyuhyun, the pair weaving through the crowd of the morning market in an attempt to get back to the wall.

“The...the star.” Kyuhyun heaved, not bothering to look back at his friend.

“The star is a person!?”

“Which is why...we need to make sure...he never gets near the wall...” he replied as they turned the corner, heading down the dirt path that lead them down to the wall. They were halfway down the small hill when they ran into Mr. Lee, who was storming up the path away from the wall.

“No...NO. In all my time guarding the wall have ever I seen anything as outlandish as that – I QUIT!”

“Woah woah woah...” Changmin slid to a halt, grabbing the crook of Mr. Lees arm to stop him from walking away. “What happened?”

“Witchcraft is what happened!! Some lady was burnt alive out of thin air!” he yelled, trying to shrug off Changmins grip.

“Was there a small man there!?” Kyuhyun asked, watching as the old man rounded on him, face red in anger.

“He was the one that started all of this! If he didn't try to cross the wall all the others would not have shown up after him!”

“Cross...the wall...” Kyuhyuns breath hitched, blood draining from his face as panic began to overtake him, quickly turning and running to the gap in the wall. There was no stardust in sight at least, though the large scorch mark in the ground did little to soothe the fear that was building in the pit of his stomach.

“Kyu—Kyuhyun!!” Changmin yelled as he caught back up to his friend, pulling Kyuhyun up to meet his eyes directly. “Listen to me; he did not cross the wall. Mr. Lee said he went with the lady with the green fire...?” he finished, questioning his own words.

Panic just seized through Kyuhyun, inhaling sharply as he fell to his knees. “The witch...she tried to kill us before, and now she has him again.”

Changmin just sunk down to the ground beside him, looking at his friend carefully. “You care about him a lot huh?”

Kyuhyun looked up at him, tears in his eyes as he smiled sadly at his friend. “I love him.”

Changmin just nodded. “Right then – whats the plan?”

“Huh?”

“Well, we are not going to let the star you love be killed by some witch, so we need to figure out how to get across the wall and get him back.” Changmin frowned. “...that sounded a lot weirder aloud than I thought it would.”

Kyuhyun let out a soft chuckle. “Thank you Changmin, really.”

Changmin shrugged, happy smile on his face. “What are friends for?”

Rising to their feet the pair crossed the boundary of the wall, looking at the field around them.

“Mr. Lee said they went in that direction...” Changmin pointed away from them, back into the eastern part of the forest. “...and these tracks seem like they are going the same way so if we can just find some mode of transport...”

“There is a town a little ways away through the opposite part of the forest.” Kyuhyun answered, starting to make his way back across the field.

“Oooooor we could just ask for help!” Changmin replied, Kyuhyun turning back to watch his friend dart towards a lone rider coming towards them.

Following after his friend Kyuhyun shook his head amusement as Changmin threw himself in the horses path, waving his arms wildly until the rider stopped. Kyuhyun had just caught up when the oddly familiar rider slid from his saddle, unsheathing his sword and holding it up against Changmin in one fluid motion.

“I am in need of some assistance.” he stated, eyeing the pair coldly.

“Funny enough we were about to say the same thing.” Changmin chuckled weakly, Kyuhyun unsheathing his own sword behind them.

“What do you want?”

The man turned his attention to Kyuhyun. “I am looking for a man by the name of Ryeowook, the last of my information said he was headed this direction.”

Kyuhyuns glare darkened. “What do you want of him?”

“He has something that belongs to me.” he replied easily, not intimidated by Kyuhyuns growing anger. “A ruby coloured gemstone that I simply wish to get back from him. My brother came close to getting it so I know he still has it, but he was killed by a witch in his efforts.”

Kyuhyuns eyes widened, suddenly realising why he looked so familiar. “You're Siwons brother, aren't you?”

Jongwoon was shocked for a moment, sharp gaze flicking between the silent Changmin and Kyuhyun before he answered, pressing his blade closer to Changmin.

“What do you know of Siwon?”

Kyuhyun looked at the man directly in his eyes. “He was a friend – he helped me when I was lost and is the reason I was able to find Ryeowook.”


“Oh just let them go Jongwoon! Can you not tell that he is telling the truth!?” Siwon called loudly.

“Yeah!” Donghae exclaimed. “I like him; he seems really nice.”

Eunhyuk snorted, turning to face his pouting brothers. “I'm sure Jongwoon and his wonderful habit of threatening people with the end of his blade tends to hinder his friendship making skills.”


Jongwoon hesitated a moment longer before he lowered his sword, sheathing it with a sigh. 

“If my brother trusted you in his final moments I will offer you the same courtesy for the moment, so long as you bring me my gemstone.”

Quickly Kyuhyun tugged Changmin back, the other man rubbing his throat as he eyed Jongwoon warily. “Once again, kind of why we wanted your help.”

Jongwoon quirked an eyebrow. “How so?”

“The witch who killed your brother has now taken Ryeowook. We know which way she went with him but on foot we cannot catch up to her in time to save him from her.”

“Which is where you come in!” Changmin added with a smile.

 “What are the two of you suggesting?” Jongwoon finally asked, Kyuhyun taking a deep breath.

“Help us go after her and get Ryeowook back and we'll give you your gemstone.”

Jongwoon just eyed him, resistance clear in his eyes.

“Please...” Kyuhyun desperately whispered, before Jongwoon finally sighed in defeat.

“Which way did they go?”

“To the east through the forest.” Changmin answered, once again pointing in the direction of the tracks.

Jongwoon frowned. “There is an old witches castle located in a canyon just before the eastern forest – if she has a carriage we should be able to catch up to them on horse by nightfall if we left now.” he added, turning to mount his horse, looking down at Kyuhyun with a raised eyebrow. “Are you coming or not?”

Quickly Kyuhyun nodded, moving to get on the horse behind him when Changmin grabbed his arm, giving him a friendly smile.

“Good luck, I hope you find him.”

With a nod Kyuhyun climbed onto the horse behind Jongwoon, the pair galloping off into the trees.


“See?” Donghae teased, sticking his tongue out as Eunhyuk made a face back at him.

“I do hope they save Ryeowook in time...” Zhoumi added, Donghae giving him a confident smile.

“They will, I have faith in them.”