7.

Stars Appear

seven.

It was just before dawn when the storm finally cleared, earth still damp when Jongwoon came across Siwons cold body left behind in the remains of the burnt inn.

“I'm sorry this is the way you died brother.” he sighed, eyeing the deep cut that ran across his neck. “I would've much rather been at your side than to see you die at anothers hands.”

He bent to pay his respects, prayer sent to the heavens that his brother was taken care of when a clattering from the small stable behind him caught his attention, Jongwoon turning on his heel and unsheathing his blade in one smooth motion to find a whimpering young man stood just behind him.

“Tell me what happened here boy, before I slit your throat as you did my brother.” he growled, the boy quickly raising his hands in surrender. The boy tried to speak, panicked garbles caught in his throat as Jongwoon pressed his blade even closer to him, impatient. “The longer it takes you to speak the slower your death comes I assure you.”

“I-It was a w-witch” the boy finally squeaked, Jongwoon lowering his sword slightly.

“A witch!?”

“Y-Yes s-sir. She came and c-cursed me and m-my land – s-said she was trying to kill a fallen s-star by the name o-of Ryeowook. Your b-brother was killed by her w-when he approached the star for the s-stone that lay around his neck.”

As he took in this new information Jongwoon lowered his blade, the boy letting out a shaky sigh of relief. He had heard stories of fallen stars before, and although he had not put much stock in the fantasical rumours as a child, it made a lot sense that the reason the gemstone was constantly on the move was because it was attached to a particular being.

“Thank you for your answers, I apologise for scaring you with the end of my blade.” he eventually added, moving back towards where his horse was waiting. “As compensation I am willing to offer you a hefty pay for your troubles here – I simply ask that you return my brothers body to the Wintervale castle. There you can seek the help of any of the towns sorcerers to cure any curses that may still be upon you.”

The boy trailed after Jongwoon, eyes widening at the generous offer as the other man slid into his saddle. 

“Thank you sir! B-But where are you going?”

Jongwoon just smiled. “I have a star to find.”

 

*´¨`*

 

As the body that fell from the ship finally disappeared through the hazy cloud cover below the crew continued to cheer, group jumping as the cabin door slammed back open, captain waltzing back out with a frown on his face.

“What are you lot doing!? Didn't I say you had work to get to? HENRY!”

“YES SIR!” Henry shouted, turning to face the men that surrounded him. “Well – you heard the captain, back to work with the lot of you!” 

Immediately the crew rushed to get back to their places, running around the deck while the captain returned to his cabin, locking the door behind him with a sigh before he turned to face Ryeowook where he sat, tear-streaked face eyeing him carefully as Kyuhyun held his hand tightly beside him, in nothing but his undershirt and pants.

“Well, that was one hell of a show we put on. Please excuse the need for the performance, my men expect a certain cut-throat image of me when it comes to outsiders.” he smiled, Kyuhyun frowning at him.

“I'm sure 'captain'...” Kyuhyun huffed.

“Please – just Kangin is fine.” the man smiled. “Now, I want you to tell me all about your journey so far while I get your prince charming here some new clothes to wear.” Kangin winked at Ryeowook, the star blushing as the man disappeared into the large closet that sat in the corner of the room, dragging Kyuhyun along after him.

“Well, we were trying to get home to a place called Wall – it is named after the wall that runs beside it.” Ryeowook smiled, hearing the loud bark of laughter that came from the closet. “We were on our way when our path crossed with that of a great witch. We managed to escape her grasp by way of babylon candle but, uhh, somehow it went awry and we ended up in the clouds where you fished us out of the sky and then pretended to throw Kyuhyun out the window.”

“How am I going to be able to go out there now that your crew think I was thrown off the ship by the way? Or am I stuck down here until you can find a way to get us out of here?”

Kangin smiled, leading the now dressed Kyuhyun to sit in front of his large dresser, messing with the mans hair. With the large mirror in front of him Kyuhyun could easily look back to where Ryeowook sat, watching them carefully. When the star caught Kyuhyuns eye he smiled, cheeks turning a slight pink that brought colour to Kyuhyuns own cheeks, Kangin watching the pair in amusement.

“Weeeelll we were out on a job all night catching lightning when we found you, so we're due to land for a delivery late this afternoon.” the captain replied, moving Kyuhyns fringe gently from his face. “I believe I know of this wall that you speak of and we're still a ways away from it, but it just so happens I have a marvelous plan that will get you on board for the rest of the journey no problems!”

“So long as I do not have to be 'thrown' out of a ship again.” Kyuhyun huffed, the large man chuckling above him.

“I assure you that won't be an issue – Ryeowook will have to come with me off the ship though.”

“He stays with me.” Kyuhyun replied firmly, reaction immediate before he began to blush at his forwardness. “I mean... I promised to keep him safe.”

“Understandable of course, but you can trust me – I will not let any harm come to him.”

Kyuhyun just eyed him, doubt clearly evident on his face until Ryeowook finally spoke up.

“I trust him.” he said clearly, giving Kyuhyun a small nod. “I'll be alright.”

“Right! Now that has been settled, sit still and let me work my magic.” Kangin grinned.

 

*´¨`*

 

When the ship finally docked, descending quickly through the afternoon sky, Kangin directed his men off the ship, Ryeowook watching on behind him as the crew split up to do their different duties within the small town. When they were gone Kangin and Ryeowook themselves left the ship, pushing through the small crowd as they made their way through the centre of town. 

“Where are we going?” Ryeowook question, trying his best to stay as close as possible to the larger man.

“To see an old friend.” Kangin smiled. “For our plan to work the men needed to know you were away from the ship for awhile, so I'm bringing you with me.”

Eventually they reached a small building near the other end of town, Kangin swinging the door open and stomping inside, grinning at the young man that groaned at his entrance.

“As much as I enjoy both your patronage and friendship, must you always cause such a commotion?”

Kangin just laughed, Ryeowook walking in quietly behind him. “It is good to see you as well Sungmin!”

“Please tell me you've at least brought me some lightning this time instead of just desiring a drinking partner.” Sungmin just sighed, watching warily as Kangin walked forward.

“It just so happens that I've brought you most of the stock from out last fish, you should be able to fetch a hefty price for this amount of lightning.”  With a grin her layed down the large carton on Sungmins desk, the other man inspecting the box before giving a small nod of approval.

“For once you have managed to not let me down, I'm shocked.” he drawled, Kangins loud laugh echoing through the store. Cautiously Ryeowook stood a few feet away from them, listening to the friendly banter between the two as he browsed the random trinkets Sungmin had on display. As Kangin laughed Sungmin glanced over at the stranger, giving him a curious once over.

“A new crew member?”

“A new friend.” Kangin smiled. “I'm just showing Ryeowook the ropes of the business before we drop him down south.”

Sungmin quirked an eyebrow, giving Ryeowook a polite smile in greeting before he turned his attention back to the man in front of him. “I would be cautious of new friends these days Youngwoon – there are rumours spreading of dark magic growing in the land in the search of a fallen star.” he stated, watching as Ryeowook froze, careful to avoid the mans sharp gaze.

Kangin just gave his friend a carefree smile, quick to draw Sungmins attention away from Ryeowook. “You doubt my ability to read people?”

Sungmin just stared at him, a look passing between the two before Sungmin smirked. “I doubt any of your abilities that do not involve how much alcohol you can consume.”

“and lightning!”

":...and lightning.” he repeated with an amused smile. “Anyway, here is the gold I owe you for this batch, as always feel free to drop by with Henry when you next have some goods and definitely not when you just want a night out.”

“I'll see you next time for an ale on me then.” Kangin grinned, enjoying the frown the crossed the others face. “C'mon Ryeowook, we should return to the ship before it gets late.” he added, heading back out the front door with a wave.

With a nod Ryeowook went to follow him, stopping at the call of his name that was still stood behind the counter.

“You better be careful out there, it is getting more dangerous by the day for someone like you.” he stated, Ryeowooks eyes widening at the knowing look Sungmin was giving him.

“T-Thank you, Mr. Sungmin.”

Sungmin just smiled. “Good Luck.”

With Sungmins words echoing in his head Ryeowook quickly rejoined Kangin outside, the captain looking at him with a slight frown.

“You okay? He didn't bother you did he?”

Ryeowook just shook his head, following Kangin through the now quiet town centre. “No, he just...wished me luck.”

Quickly they made their way across town, returning to the dock. There they found most of the crew crowded around the front of the ship, whispering amongst themselves. Turning to Ryeowook Kangin gave the star an excited grin, mouthing 'showtime' before he stepped forward, voise rising in volume as he gained the crews attention.

“Right then, why are the lot of you standing around here like baffoons!?”

“Sir, someone is on the ship!” Henry exclaimed, pointing up to where a man sat atop the railing, unfamiliar head of reddish brown hair smirking down at them. Immediately Kangin laughed, pushing past his crew to meet the man on deck, pulling him into a tight hug.

“You idiots, this is my cousin Guixian – he's here to travel a few weeks with us, so treat him as one of our own.” Kangin declared, the crew cheering up at them in agreement. With the commotion over they all went back to work, Kangin giving his 'cousin' a knowing smile before heading onto the ship. Ryeowook carefully walked up to the deck after him, avoiding the rushing crewmates with a smile, before Guixian quietly moved to stand beside him.

“This is already going...much better than I thought it would.” 'Guixian' whispered, Ryeowook letting out a light giggle.

“You need to have some faith every now and then; Kangins plans seem to be oddly foolproof.”

“Says you.” Kyuhyun snorted. “You are not the one who got thrown from a ship and had his hair and clothes completely changed thank you very much.”

Ryeowook just laughed. “the horror!” he mocked, moving back towards where Kangin was stood at the ships wheel. “Oh, Guixian!”

“Yeah?”

“...Your hair looks really nice that colour.” Ryeowook blushed, hurrying away awkwardly as Kyuhyun smiled.

 

*´¨`*

 

Their days aboard the airship were spent running around the deck, a curious and overjoyed Ryeowook trailed by an enthusiastic Henry as the star tried to learn as much as he could while their charade continued under Kangin's easy guidance. The crew watched on affectionately as Ryeowook went about trying many of the different tasks on deck, the star a bundle of energy as the ship glided easily through the clouds.

They were even more entertained at the times he managed to drag 'Guixian' into tasks along with him, the taller man an almost constant shadow to the other, always a few steps behind watching over the star carefully as he went to work, crew laughing when he was easily roped into working alongside him.

[There was even a point when Ryeowook managed to successfully climb up to the top of the ships mast, calling down to a bewildered Kyuhyun with a bright grin as the redhead stared up at him, questioning how the star managed to get up there in the first place.]

The captain had even taken it upon himself to train Kyuhyun in the basics of swordsmanship, Ryeowook watching on amusedly instead as Kyuhyun awkwardly swung the blade around himself.

“Keep yourself balanced and steady – remember that accuracy will always be more important than power and showmanship.” Kangin chided as Kyuhyun was easily toppled, waiting for Kyuhyun ready himself to go again with an easy grin.

“At least you're improving!” Ryeowook added, Kyuhyun giving him an unamused look in return.

“Thank you for your input, Ryeowook.”

“No problem!” he grinned back, giggling as he watched Kyuhyun double his efforts to perfect the moves Kangin was teaching him.


Most nights they ended up huddled together on the bow of the ship, skeleton crew working silently below as they watched the world fly past them. On one particular evening Kyuhyun sighed softly as he laid down beside the star, cracking an eye open to quietly observe the other man. Ryeowook looked almost wistful, arms locked around his knees as he stared up at the bright lights scattered across the dark sky, deep in thought.

“Do you miss it?”

Ryeowook jumped, startled out of his thoughts as he turned to look at the man sat beside him. “Huh?”

“Do you miss...you know” Kyuhyun gestured vaguely to the sky stretched out above them, “being up there – being a star.”

“Of course I do.” Ryeowook smiled sadly, turning his attention back upwards. “It was my home for so long, it still feels odd to be awake whenever the sun is in the sky...everything is so different here.”

“I...I never did say it, but I truly am sorry you know.” Kyuhyun replied quietly. “I treated you horribly when we first met, I didn't even bother to think how all of this would be effecting you...”

Ryeowook shook his head, reaching over to gently take Kyuhyun's hand in his. “I don't blame you. You still saved me, and I know you didn't mean anything by it, I was just upset at falling at first. I'm glad that if I did have to fall at least it meant I was able to meet you.”

Kyuhyun felt his heart stutter, trying to calm the blush he felt begin to rush to his cheeks. “I am glad I met you as well.” With a shared smile they fell back into a comfortable silence, Ryeowook slowly falling back to rest against Kyuhyun's shoulder. “What was it like up there?”

He felt Ryeowook shift against him, hearing the smile colour the stars voice. “It was wonderful. Twinkling up in the night sky, watching the world below us. Did you know each and every star up there is either my brother or sister? I knew each and every one of them, and if you look really closely you can even make out some of the constellations that connected us together. Do you see that gap over there?” he asked, pointing to the far east where there was a small gap of darkness.

“Yeah.”

“That is where I sat...it feels strange to not be able to talk to them any more, it makes me feel completely alone sometimes.”

Kyuhyun frowned. “You are not alone though.”

Ryeowook let out a breathy chuckle. “I know, I know – I have you.”

“Not that – though you do have me,” Kyuhyun smiled. “I meant you still have your brothers and sisters with you.”

Ryeowook sat up, giving Kyuhyun a puzzled look.

“They will always be looking down on you, and you shall always know how to find them as long as you look up. And you know what? Us humans watch the stars just as you watch us – you'll never be truly alone because you will always be able to see each other.”

Ryeowook fought back the tears that were threatening to spill as he smiled at Kyuhyun, looking back up at the night sky as he leant back down against Kyuhyun, arms reaching softly around the other mans torso.

“Thank you.” he whispered, Kyuhyun letting the star curl himself into his chest as he remained focused on the night sky, winding his own arms around Ryeowook in a careful hug.

“Of course.”

 

*´¨`*

 

Weeks later when the sun eventually set on their final night aboard the airship the crew all gathered aboard the deck, laughing and celebrating between drinks to toast to their captains 'cousin' together. As Henry played the violin from his perch on the front of the ship Kyuhyun and Ryeowook sat together, happily chatting amongst themselves when Kangin approached them with a smile.

“Captain! Having fun?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Of course – so long as there is large amounts of ale I will always be enjoying myself.” he grinned, the pair laughing in response. “I am here however to ask if Ryeowook would do me the honour of a dance.” he added, taking Ryeowooks hand with a twinkle in his eye, Kyuhyun laughing at the worried expression on the stars face as he was pulled to the middle of the deck.

“Oh I've never...”

“It's easy, just follow my footsteps.” Kangin interrupted, twirling Ryeowook around with a smile, dancing them carefully around in a small circle. “You know Ryeowook, you are beginning to shine brighter than normal, it won't be long until others start to notice.” he eventually whispered, Ryeowook locking up in his arms as panic started to overcome him. 

“Hush Ryeowook there is no need to panic – your secret will always be safe with me.” Kangin continued, waiting until Ryeowook relaxed once more. “You should be careful though – I've noticed that you start to shine your brightest whenever you are around him.”

Ryeowook looked up and Kangin, overwhelmed by the sincerity in the other mans eyes. 

“Thank you.” he whispered, pulling Kangin into a tight hug, the captain chuckling lightly.

Someone clearing their throat beside them broke the pair apart, Kyuhyun watching them with a raised eyebrow.

“I was wondering if I could interrupt.” he eventually said, smiling in thanks as Kangin bowed out. Taking Ryeowooks hands in his own he gently pulled the star towards him, grinning down at him as they started to move together.

As they swayed around the deck Kangin just watched on, smiling faintly as Ryeowook began to glow even brighter than ever.