0.

Stars Appear

prologue.


A philosopher once asked 'are we human because we gaze at stars or do we gaze at stars because we're human?' Pointless really. But do the stars ever gaze back? Now that was the real question.

*´¨`*

In the vast countryside of South Korea there sat a small village by the name of Wall. Named for the long stone wall that ran alongside its northern border, it was said in local folklore that the wall held an astonishing secret just beyond it.

“Young man I am charged with the guarding of not only this gap in the wall, but a portal to another world, and you are asking me to just let you stroll right on through!?!”

“Well, yes, Mr. Lee. Because lets be honest here; it's a field. You are sitting guard in front of a stone wall that leads. to. a. field.”

“Now you listen here, the wall and this gap have been here for hundreds of years, under constant watch by not only me but my father and his father before him. Not once has anyone ever been allowed to pass through to the other side, and that is not about to change with the likes of you Cho Jungsoo!”

“But Mr. Lee--”

Jungsoo stared at the field that laid just a few metres away for a moment, chewing his lip in frustration as he weighed up his options. Although he had never put much faith in the fantastical tales of another world laying beyond a rocky wall, he was extremely interested in venturing past the field and into the tree line that could just be seen outside of town. He had been determined for months to venture past the one small gap that provided access to the field on the other side and finally quell the curiosity gnawing at him that needed to know what exactly existed beyond. Watching as the conflicted boy stood in front of him, the old guard just sighed as he shook his head at the youngers stubbornness.

“Just go home Jungsoo. Before I am forced to tell the village officials of your recklessness.”

Defeated, Jungsoo gave one last look at the wall before he hung his head, turning towards the path that lead back up into town. “Well, thats very final isn't it? I suppose I'll be on my way then, sorry for causing you so much trouble Mr. Lee.”

“Goodnight Jungsoo.” the old man sighed as he returned to his seat, turning his back slowly on the retreating boy.

Seeing his opportunity while the old man had his back turned Jungsoo took off, rushing at the wall and vaulting over the rocky gap, making a break for it through the large field towards the tree line only a short distance away, the old mans shouts for him to return growing fainter with each step he took.

As he finally broke through the treeline Jungsoo slowed down to a light stroll, and with the threat of Mr. Lee catching him now long gone he found himself on what appeared to be a worn dirt path that weaved through the dense brush of the forest. It was odd, he thought, that the trail seemed to be so well used and yet no signs of life had ever been visible from the towns side of the wall, his curiosity only growing the longer he walked.

He continued along the path in near darkness lost in the thick forest, until a number of lights appeared on the distant horizon, first dull before gradually gaining a bright glow that illuminated the once dark forest. The brush grew thinner, and as he broke through the tree line Jungsoo found himself on the outskirts of a small town much like his own, loud and bustling.

Making his way through the small crowds of people, it soon became apparent to Jungsoo that although the town may have appeared to resemble his home of Wall, it was in fact very different. It had a mystical air to it, and as he passed by a number of vendors he was stunned by the various trinkets on sale. Random glowing ornaments were set out on a number of tables and creatures he couldn't even dream of filled rows of cages, each with names and descriptions that Jungsoo could barely comprehend as he stumbled through the rest of the night market.

Coming to the end of the main road of stalls, a bright yellow cart tucked into the corner of the market caught Jungsoo's eye. Although the colour caught his attention at first, Jungsoo was rendered speechless at the young woman who sat atop the cart itself. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, her striking features highlighted by the shimmering blue dress she was wearing. Her almond eyes, framed by her short black hair, were on Jungsoo, observing him.

Jungsoo was captivated, drawn to the mysterious woman as he made his way toward the small table that sat a small distance away from her perch on the cart, inquisitive gaze turning mischievous at Jungsoo's look of awe. He came to a stop in front of her stall, barely looking at the range of beautiful flowers set out as he continued to stare at her.

“Well excuuse me mister but I've got no need for time wasters at my shop if all you are going to do is stand around looking dumb!” a shrill voice suddenly boomed from behind him. Jumping, he spun to see a short older woman glaring up at him angrily, before glaring past him at the mysterious girl on the cart.

“Tend to the stall for the rest of the night while I go get a drink, I have had just about enough of these bumbling idiots today.” she growled, giving him one last glare before pushing past him angrily and quickly disappearing into the crowd. Turning slowly back to the stall bewildered, Jungsoo watched as the girl hopped off her seat, sauntering up to him.

“So then...see anything you like?” she asked, mischievous grin reappearing on her face as she gave him a quick once over.

“Yes.” he immediately replied, cheeks turning a dark red as he caught himself, looking down at the table in front of him as the girl giggled lightly.

“I-I-I meant the... flowers? Yes! Umm... the blue ones are particularly lovely, how much did you say they were?” he mumbled, gesturing awkwardly in front of him.

“Weeeeeelll” the girl started, tapping her chin as if she was deep in thought. “They could cost you anything from the colour of your eyes to your happiest memories, but its not the blue flowers you're really after.”

Picking up a small flower, pure white flowers blooming delicately, she held it out towards him. “See, this one suits you much better...?”

“J-Jungsoo.”

“mmm see? It even suits the colour of your name.” She replied with a smile as Jungsoo carefully took the flower from her, mesmerised as it glittered in the glow of the street lights above them.

“and how much is this one exactly?” he asked, looking up at her as a grin lit up her face. She reached forward to grab the front of his shirt, gently pulling him towards her over the edge of the table.

“It costs a kiss.”

Firmly pressing their lips together Jungsoo was stunned by the forwardness possessed by the girl. Her lips were warm and smooth moving against his, so inviting that he instantly felt addictive. She broke the kiss, smiling once again while she looked around cautiously.

“She's completely gone right? Here, come with me.” she whispered, holding out her hand. When he reached forward and placed his hand in hers she clasped it tightly, guiding him around the table.

“Whats your name?"

“Luna.” she replied, tugging him towards the entrance to the yellow carriage. As she tugged him along Jungsoo looked at the ground, frowning as he noticed a thin silver chain that attached her to the side of the cart. He stopped, leaning down to pick the chain up before looking back at her, confused.

Startled, Luna looked at him with wide eyes before sitting on the edge of the carts steps, looking down at him with a sad twinkle in her eyes. “If I told you that I was a missing princess stolen away from her kingdom and now trapped here, would you be the knight in shining armour come to save me?”

He stared at her, slightly confused before he reached for a small blade that sat on the ground beside the cart, grabbing the chain and swiftly breaking it. It remained broken for a moment before the chain started to glow, snapping itself firmly back together. Stunned he gaped up at her, sad smile gracing her face.

“An enchanted chain.” she explained. “Thank you though for trying to be my knight, but alas the princess is to remain as a slave, locked away from the world.”

Immediately Jungsoo stood, moving towards the sad girl. “Then... what exactly do you want with me?”

A coy smile crossed her face as she stood up again, retaking his hand and guiding him into the back of the carriage, shutting the door behind them tightly.

 

*´¨`*

 

Late into the next morning Jungsoo strolled back through the gap in the wall, dazed smile on his fas as he passed by [the still very angry] Mr. Lee. Returning to his home in the middle of Wall, he decided it was best to not pay much thought to the wall and the mysterious world that lay past it.

He went on like this, blissfully ignorant, until nine months later when one cold winter night there was a knock at his door, finding a bundled up Mr. Lee standing in the snow with a small wicker basket tucked under his arms.

“This was left at the wall, I was told that it was for you Jungsoo.”

Confused he took the basket out of the old mans arms, finding a mass of soft blankets. Looking carefully inside he found a small child, mop of black hair sleeping inside. Distractedly thanking the older man he closed the door, careful not to wake the child. Staring at the small bundle in shock, Jungsoo's eyes drifted to a small paper bundle tucked into the end of the basket. Grabbing it he quickly opened it, finding a small parcel and a letter addressed to him. Opening the letter, he quietly looked over the boy as he read.

 

My dear Jungsoo,

I am sorry that this has to come as such a surprise to you. Please believe that I would not be placing this burden on you if had any other choice. But I cannot take care of him – in my heart I cannot be sure of his safety by my side. You briefly met my mistress that night, and saw but a glimpse of her personality – I cannot bring up my son around her.

His name is Kyuhyun, after my great grandfather. Please Jungsoo, watch over him as he grows for me – teach him all the things I will never be able to. In his basket I have also included a small package for him to open when he is old enough to understand the reality of the situation, I leave it up to you to decide when that time arrives.

Love him as much as I will love you both from a distance.

All my love, Luna.