Brothers for Life

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I will miss the Hye Han couple, it was my first story (third chronologically) I've ever written so it is very dear to me, and I've finally revised it the way it was supposed to be from the start. I present you to my longest chapter in the whole story. Happy reading as always!

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

Lu Han warned me beforehand about the week before the concert. That I most likely wouldn't be able to reach him due to the preparations. From what he told me, I still didn't understand everything about the Chinese subunit's leader's lawsuit. I wasn't too familiar with all of s and didn't even have the opportunity to meet them all. I've rarely seen the second leader around much when I just arrived at the company, only once in the hallway. He appeared very scary because of his sharp features and his expression, and he was very tall from what I remembered.

Anyway, Lu Han and the other boys had to rearrange their choreographies and divide the singing parts since that one senior was not expected to return. As long as Lu Han doesn't faint during the concert, he shall do what he has to do.

Min Young came home from school in the afternoon and has been excited for a whole week already. She wanted to brag at school about going to the concert but with that spare ticket Lu Han gave us, it'd be bothersome to explain how we got those seats. We had to leave soon to get in line, Jung Ah's family was going to pick us up to head there together. 

It reminded me of the debut showcase, except that this concert venue could hold way more people than two years ago. Thousands of fans waited in front of the huge arena and I could hear nothing else but screaming and people talking. From children to older people, male and female fans, everyone was present. I turned to the Kims. They must be happy to see Jongin. I remembered Jung Ah meeting Jongin a few times because of big project, she wanted to set up her own coffee shop which meant she would quit working at Eun Chae's as well. It's supposed to be sort of a joint business between the siblings, I listened to her ideas and it sounds great. Jung Ah once jokingly asked me to switch to her coffee shop when it'd open in July, very tempting, but I couldn't do that to Eun Chae. She would lose two part-time employees, that'd be too much.

After lots of waiting, we entered the arena and looked for our seats. It wasn't the first row, we didn't want to take the first row seats away from their fans, so we asked for other good seats. My first and my senior's first own concert. There should be some trainees around to visit and there had to be some of the company's artists as well, but with so many people, I was unable to recognise anyone. 

Watching the boys on stage again was great. Despite being the first time as eleven, probably exhausted from the practice, everyone wore a smiling face, had fun and put on a flawless performance. I experienced their popularity at first hand, I knew they were popular but I felt the intensity that evening. And these guys used to be my seniors who I saw practising in the dungeons. I can't even summarise this concert, it's an unforgettable experience. Today I realised they were real idols, I never seriously considered them more than ordinary people since I knew some of them personally. Every one of them was completely different on and offstage.

And about Lu Han. I got many private one-to-one concerts from him over the course of the last two years, but if I wasn't already in love with him, I'd fall in love over and over again. He definitely belongs on stage. So charismatic and handsome, he's winning the hearts of his fans.

With our lightsticks we received at the entrance, we cheered the boys on and enjoyed the rest of the concert. Min Young had the time of her life, though not seeing Lu Han up close. The last song for the concert was performed and it was time to wrap it up. The Kims would go backstage later and see Jongin while Min Young and I decided not to follow them. I didn't pass as Jongin's family and it'd seem odd for me to go along as purely a family friend; not to mention as Lu Han's girlfriend. How lonely must it be for those seeing their members' families and friends visiting, but not their own? I hoped Lu Han didn't forget we came today because we couldn't risk going backstage.

I watched Jung Ah getting up from her seat and turning to me with a confused expression. "Aren't you coming? We need to take some family pictures with Jongin after the first solo concert!" 

I shook my head quickly. Along with the spare tickets, we had the permission to go backstage but I didn't want to use it tonight. "It was different two years ago but now it's dangerous for me to go with you." Jung Ah wasn't convinced and dragged me with her, coming up with an excuse I could say if anyone was curious. So, apparently now I am Jongin's cousin.

Still hesitant, I looked around the back of the stage after wrapping up the concert. We could still hear the fans from here. Min Young stayed close to me and couldn't contain her joy and excitement to see Lu Han. Though my eyes scanned for Lu Han, I haven't found him yet, but we found Jongin at least. He embraced his family and I took most of their pictures, smiling proudly at how far my dear friend has come.

Standing with the Kim family with Min Young, I attempted not to appear too desperate while looking for my boyfriend. I finally spotted him talking to the other two Chinese members as they were the only ones without any visits from their families. Poor Lu deer. If only he knew how badly I wanted to run towards him and hug him, praising him on how cool he looked on stage and how well he did. I'll just have to call him later when he gets to the dormitory. Our eyes suddenly met for a second when Lu Han turned his head and looked around freely as well. I could swear I saw a bright smile, but his fingers tried to forcefully pull the corners of his mouth downwards. Control yourself, Lu, let's not be obivous. It's hard for me as well.

At home, I was tired from the whole day. Though I sat on my bed, it felt like I was still in the arena, hearing the music and screaming my lungs. I think I need some sleep. The boys had two more concerts tomorrow and the day after, but we wouldn't attend those. Lu Han didn't have any more tickets left for Seoul, but I didn't mind. A sudden video call from Lu Han. I sat up and fixed my hair before answering the call. 

"Hye Yeong-ah, what have you been doing?" Lu Han asked me with an affectionate smile. From the background I saw he was already back in his dormitory room.

"Just getting ready to go to sleep. What about you? How was the concert?" I leaned back against the backrest of my bed and stared at the phone display. It was a strong contrast to see Lu Han through my phone when I had just seen in the arena and only a few metres away backstage.

"It was great, I had much fun. But I need to tell you something, I'm not sure if you will be happy to hear what I'm about to say." Lu Han turned serious and judging from his change in expression and tone of voice, I got a bad feeling. It doesn't sound good. What can it be? "Earlier, I saw this beautiful girl and I think I have fallen for her, so we can't be together."

For a second, I tensed up and let out a sigh when Lu Han couldn't keep down his grin. "Yeah, I think it doesn't work out between us. You should ask her out." Let's reverse the joke then. Lu Han's eyes widened and his mouth fell in open in confusion. "I'm sure she has a boyfriend, but you can try. Honestly, I met an extremely handsome man today, so I'm glad we're talking about this."

Hearing the 'extremely handsome man' part, Lu Han's expression softened and the corners of his mouth turned upwards again into a huge wide grin. "I see what you did there, very sneaky."

"Very confident, aren't we?" I chuckled and continued teasing my boyfriend for another while. "You'll be busy with the tour, right?"

"Yes, sadly we won't see each other then. We'll have the last two concerts in Seoul, then I have some schedules left for May. And in June, we'll head to China. I'll try to contact you as much as possible." Lu Han pouted at me, holding his pinky finger up as a promise. "It might be early to say this, but in September, we have two concerts in Beijing which is my hometown, right? I have two tickets for my parents, but I will make sure to snatch two more for you. Don't worry about the flight expenses, I'll cover them, you only need to come because I'd really like to show you two my hometown."

I'm touched. We meant so much to Lu Han that he wanted us to come over, showing us the place he grew up at. "It'd be an honour." 

Lu Han's face brightened up once again. "Great, then I'll see you soon. I've got to sleep, otherwise Yixing will scold me. I love you." Lu Han waved me goodbye and wouldn't hang up without hearing me return the last part. Then, he shot me a last wink and hung up.

It feels like a dream which seems too good to be true. A dream which has been lasting for almost two years. We stayed happy despite not being able to meet each other often. I was now an ordinary student, not a trainee, who still worked many part-time jobs besides studying, and I was dating a wonderful person who happened to be an idol. And it feels unreal. I can't shake that feeling off that one day, that dream might be over in a blink.

With each month after the concert, I noticed Lu Han's condition gradually worsening. He used to laugh all the time and joke around, however, he didn't have the energy anymore and forced his smiles, he couldn't keep up. He diligently called and texted me between the practice sessions and concerts abroad but it wasn't the same. The most frustrating part was it was nothing I could change or help him with, I couldn't be there and only watch from afar.

>>LU HAN'S POV<<

The members and I overcame Yifan's departure and continued as eleven. We thought it'd be the only difficulty we had to overcome, but the next one followed only a month after wrapping up the three concerts in Seoul. It was a quiet Wednesday without a group schedule, but an individual schedule later. I'd have to wake up anyway and head for my first day of filming for a new project, but it was too early. We stayed at hotels in China because the dormitory was dissolved and currently unnecessary for us. And suddenly, I was woken up again and called into the hotel room of Joon Myeon. We all shared different hotel rooms and still had to gather as eleven people in one room. Why are we staying in different rooms then?

"Gege, it's another emergency! Come quickly!" Tao woke me up but I only glared at him half-asleep.

"Who's leaving now?" I ruffled my hair and squinted my eyes because of the bright light. "Away from my bed. No touching." Good old habit I'd never get over. I couldn't remember how it started, but it must've been after arriving in Korea.

"Lu ge, it's urgent. Joon Myeon hyung expects us in his room now." Tao dragged me out of the bed and I couldn't even wash my face before that. We went over and the others were already sitting in a circle, either on the bed or any free space left. I was now fully awake and in a bad mood. Scanning the members' faces, I realised it was a serious issue, but everyone was present, so I didn't know what would expect me. 

Baekhyun got up from his seat and gulped nervously, his head hanging low. "I'm sorry for everything. I didn't know they would confirm the news without asking us. I'll take the blame, it's what the company instructed me to do and I was unable to refuse their request. We are in the middle of our tour and I was only another disappointment, I didn't know our fans' reaction would be so harsh and hateful."

I didn't understand anything at all of what Baekhyun was guilty of, but I didn't want to cut in and ask what everything was about either. I waited for Joon Myeon or anyone else to speak up.

"They asked me for the same request, but ended up changing plans and confirming your news instead." Se Hun explained in a quiet voice. "We are in this together, hyung. You didn't do anything wrong, it's not your fault. If anything, it's our fans unreasonable reaction to dating news." I was surprised at our youngest's words, but he was right. 

But wait, what? "Dating news?" I spoke my thoughts out loud. Min Seok who sat next to me showed me a Dispatch article. EXO's Baekhyun and Girls Generation's Taeyeon reported to be dating. Impossible. Everyone among the members knew if and who we were dating respectively. And Baekhyun couldn't be dating Taeyeon unless he was cheating at the moment, but no, he wasn't. Slowly, everything made sense and I pieced the puzzle together.

"I assume they made you do this to distract from Yifan's lawsuit news?" Joon Myeon exhaled deeply and brought his palm to his face, expressing his frustration and probably his helplessness. "You mentioned something about it last month. You were supposed to meet up with our senior on days without a schedule, and you still did that?"

Baekhyun nodded guiltily. I noticed he was holding back his tears. "I had to, they made me do it. I was scared so I couldn't say no, I did as I was told. The same with our senior Taeyeon. I feel very bad that she was also dragged into this matter, but I feel most guilty about having to do this while I'm in an actual relationship with someone else."

Yes, right. That's exactly my thought. Baekhyun has been dating another girl since his high school days, he told us so when we were trainees and almost about to debut. We'd always tell each other immediately,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter