Changes

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

It's now been over a year since arriving at SM Entertainment. I don't know if I regret it or not, it's hard to tell. Last year, I couldn't afford the university fees but I found a way. Training didn't guarantee my debut so I had to go to university at least in case it didn't work out, I didn't want to waste the time I could've used to study for training. Over the last months, I saved up some extra money, tried to apply unsuccessfully for a scholarship and made a deal with my neighbour, Mrs Nam. She supports me financially and I'll pay her the amount back after getting a job or after debuting.

Then again, I don't think debuting will be possible. Min Young would barely be in middle school and if I debuted, I'd live in a dormitory. What about Min Young? I couldn't let her live on her own and I couldn't leave her alone already. That's one thing I'm worried about but the concerns keep increasing. 

Lu Han and I were still going strong. Who knows for how long? Honestly, I supported him all the way like I supported the rest of his group. At the same time, I was scared about the consequences of their fame because I expected their next album and especially its repackaged version to bring them the success they deserved. They've taken a long hiatus, thus the public would highly anticipate the comeback. While the boys were busy practising for the album, I was still securing my position in the group.

Speaking of girl group, I encounterd Go Sang Mi a couple of more times on the hallways. I still couldn't figure out how she made it into the building but it couldn't be a coincidence. If Sang Mi was as good as the other trainees described her, I might lose my position very fast. Lu Han doubted Sang Mi was the new trainee, but perhaps, he didn't want to get me worried. He knows I don't like her but they are friends, after all. I can't possibly ask him to stop talking to her.

During practice, we were randomly assigned to groups for a new assignment. And guess who was in my group? It's not Sang Mi, I don't even know if she got into the company. I was mildly shocked when I saw his face but I couldn't talk to him because we were in the middle of practice.  Later, Byung Jin insisted on walking me to the station and I didn't reject his offer. I might have acted blunt and cold towards him sometimes but Byung Jin was still a senior who guided me in the first few months. I'm also curious about how he was doing these days.

When we exited the building, it was dark and raining outside. Good thing I didn't bring my umbrella because it was supposed to be sunny all day. Byung Jin, prepared as ever, took out his umbrella and protected us both from the rain. We soon found a spot to stand under and wait because our shoes were soaked from the rain gathering on the streets.

"I thought you didn't renew your contract? I haven't seen you around for a while." I broke the silence with Byung Jin. I didn't encounter him often anyway but he has stopped contacting me, too. He would usually text or call at least once a week, but probably stopped since I didn't show any reaction.

Heo Byung Jin laughed quietly. "The rumours have reached your ears as well?" He shook his head, trying to shake off his umbrella. "As you can see, I'm here and the rumours are not fully right."

"Not fully? You mean you are leaving?" My curiosity grew upon his vague answer. 

"Do you want me to leave so badly? But yes, I will, mainly because my contract expires soon and I didn't make the cut into EXO. Obviously, they couldn't see me in the line-up and I don't have the necessary energy to keep up with another four years of training. It takes a toll both on my physical and mental health which is why I'll solely focus on my studies after leaving. The company wanted to renew the contract, but I can't. I'm not getting any younger, too." Byung Jin and I were practically the same age but he has gone through training even before graduating unlike me. "Maybe you will understand when you reach those fours years. Remember it's not a question of whether you are going to debut or not, it's about whether you will debut early or later."

"Oh, no need. I already understand very well." I responded, lowering my head. Before starting university, I have made up my mind. If I didn't get to debut within the two years I signed up for, I'd also leave the company because I was not willing to stay longer. Even though I didn't share the same goal as the other trainees at the beginning, I did come to enjoy singing and dancing not as a hobby, but as a passion. However, it's not what I'd like to do for the rest of my life. "Our health comes first, after all. If my future was as uncertain, I'd consider choosing a different path as well but that's up to every person."

"That's right. Well, I guess that'll be one of my last evaluations and I'll do one trainee showcase before leaving the company. At least I got to make some friends including you, and experienced how hard work feels like. We can still keep in touch, can't we? I'd like to be updated on the whole competition thing." Byung Jin grinned at me but there was a hint of sadness in his tone of voice. It's not easy, I do get it.

I still didn't know if I agreed on the being friends part. We were more like acquaintances but if it made Byung Jin happy, why not? When I arrived on my first day, there was no one who reached out to me except for him. Not that I was quite open for new friendships, I still wasn't, but I figured getting along with most of them was the best foundation and basis for a good teamwork and environment.

"Sure, shall we continue our way? It's not raining as much and I wouldn't want to get home too late." I glanced at my watch and thought of Min Young. Walking under his umbrella silently, no words were being said anymore. "Thanks for walking me and for the umbrella. See you at practice? Let's do well." I waved him goodbye but Byung Jin only smiled back.

"Do you really not need my umbrella? How will you go home if it keeps raining?" Byung Jin questioned me and was ready to hand it to me. "My jacket is waterproof, I don't need it."

I shook my head. "No, thanks. I'll just run home, it's not big of a deal. Alright, I've got to go or else, I will miss the train. Thanks again!" I hurried to catch my train and called Min Young to inform her when I'd approximately be there.

"Come quickly, sis. Lu Han and I are waiting for you." Min Young said and I quickly turned down the volume. "Sis, do you have an umbrella? It's raining! Or should Lu Han come your way?"

"No, don't worry. I'll be home, you two wait there." I hung up with a sigh. So, it was one of his visiting nights again. If Lu Han comes up with the idea of coming my way, he should better hide his face under the umbrella. Pulling up the hood of my jacket to cover my head from the rain, I walked home with fast steps. I'll note it for the next time: always bring an umbrella regardless of the weather forecast.

As I looked up slightly, I spotted another figure holding an umbrella and dressed in black. Well, it was certainly scary considering it was dark and nobody was outside in the rain, walking around the neighbourhood at this hour. To be on the safe side, I slowed down and called Lu Han. If it's him, he should answer the call. Instead, the person picked up his pace and towards me, holding the umbrella above my head.

"Don't surprise me like that. Even if I knew you would come my way, it was scary when you put on the not very convincing disguise." I was both relieved and frustrated when I discovered Lu Han under the umbrella. He wore his mask and su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter